• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Moving up?

El, I wouldn't trust my instincts any further than how far I can toss the Liberty Bell. Now, if we were talking Nascar, then I could toss some poo and it may stick to the fan. :)

Reading between the lines in some stuff this morning, this is what's going on at the moment...

Mike likes Locker.
Kyle likes Dalton.
Both like Gabbert.

Both feel that there is a lot of YOUNG talent in FA - the best in years - and will be very active. The current thinking is most of 2010 rules will apply with a few exceptions and that the litigation could go on for several years. So yes, we will have football, but the litigants will forge ahead in that area.

1) they'd have to give up too much

2) they need to fix their d-line first

I agree about giving up too much, BUT, if they are truly enamoured with Jones in particular, he will not last much beyond our pick. If they want him badly enough, they will have to pay a lot to get a shot at him.

D-line needs work, ut so does their O-line. Pouncey would be an instant upgrade for the Steelers.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Some early morning tidbits...

Steelers want to move up from the 31st position to brab Pouncey.

Falcons want to move up from the 27th position to grab A.J. or Julio.

I'd be tempted to do this with either team but I would want something in this years 2nd or 3rd round (and maybe both) and one or two high picks next year as well. More picks in this draft would be preferable though.

Then I would pray Phil Taylor stayed on the board till I could grab him.

Last edited:
I put it out there - but a lot of this is being reported across many outlets. I'm beginning to think this is a smokescreen based on what Tandler said and one of the "insiders" at the other place. It was implied a short time ago that if someone outbids us a la Jay Cutler, then Denver will go in that direction. Seems like the Texans are very interested. Do we have a wink and nod in place and with more than one team? I'm thinking we do.

Man, I hope it is a smokescreen. The "insiders" at the other site have said the same thing (about trading up), which is ridiculous.

Reading that article about Razzano, he said Gabbert dumped off to RBs a lot. Does that sound familiar? We had that guy behind center last year, and he was displaced by REX GROSSMAN. Jesus, I really hope this doesn't happen.

My scouting report on the man in question?

Sorry, but no one named Blaine Gabbert is going to be a stud NFL QB.

Johnny Unitas.

Roman Gabriel.

Joe Montana.

Hell, even Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

THOSE are QB names.

"Blaine Gabbert" is supposed to sell car insurance.

I mean come on.

I was thinking morning talk radio show host.

Annnnnd now, your morning gab with BLAAAAIIINNNNNE GABBERT on WQRM 102.8 in the morning!

I mean come on.
That or help Mr. Haney sell Mr. Douglas sell something.

I hope we trade down. I know that's easier said than done but I've got every thing crossed you can cross and might be tempted to make a Mel Kiper voodoo doll and start sticking pins in it.

I agree about giving up too much, BUT, if they are truly enamoured with Jones in particular, he will not last much beyond our pick. If they want him badly enough, they will have to pay a lot to get a shot at him.

D-line needs work, ut so does their O-line. Pouncey would be an instant upgrade for the Steelers.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm with ya Gold. I hope it happens cuz they would have to fork over a king's ransom to us to make such a big jump. I think that they have enough problemas on d-line that reason will take hold in the end.

on the other hand....it does sugegst that if we end up drafting Julio that might not be such a bad thing! also....adds fuel to the fire vis known desire by Rams for Mr Jones.

My scouting report on the man in question?

Sorry, but no one named Blaine Gabbert is going to be a stud NFL QB.

Johnny Unitas.

Roman Gabriel.

Joe Montana.

Hell, even Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

THOSE are QB names.

I mean come on.

cmon now: and now...you're starting Washington Redskins QB.....Gabby Gabbert!

The Vikings are now supposedly fixated on Locker.

We could have a lot of trade possibilities out there.

Been thinking about the relationship that Coach Shanahan and John Elway has and could there be a wink and nod in place? Would Ryan Harris be on his way to the Redskins when trades, FA, etc. are allowed to occur? Perhaps another player or two? Does DMc5 figure into this equation?

Speaking of Gabbert...

Got into a heated discussion at the gym this morning with Greg Cossell. He knows that I am a Redskins fan and he gave me grief about the Gabbert thing - thinks "Gabbert is a mid-rounder at best". I told him to report on the air as he sees fit and watch Coach Shanahan make a fool out of the media (including him) over the next few days.

It ended on a good note though and he wished the team well and I told him that I look forward to his analysis after the draft.

The only thing that really worries me is that Shanahan doesn't really care what anyone else thinks, and will move up to take anyone. I keep going back a few years to when the Broncos moved up into the 3rd round to take Maurice Clarett....who was in danger of not being drafted at all. Different scenarios, but it shows Shanahan will throw caution to the wind if there's a guy he really wants.

Another smokescreen - what if the target is really Von Miller?

Another smokescreen - what if the target is really Von Miller?

Sounds more plausible to me as it is widely believed Miller will likely go #3 to Buffalo. In fact, if Gabbert is really the target, then moving all the way to #2 is overkill IMHO. Most of the "better" Mocks I have seen have him going in the 7-8 range with a couple dropping him as far as 15.

Although I have to say that I still don't like the idea of giving up picks, even if they are all part of next years draft, to move up for anyone in this draft.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. In that trade scenario, we get a real impact player in Miller and keep this year's 2nd. Yes, we give up a 1st next year and a 3rd, but the 3rd is offset somewhat by having an extra fourth already (plus, we still don't know what DMc5 will bring). Getting Miller for this price could be very reasonable.

We could still use the 2nd pick on Dalton or Mallet. If most QBs are taken by then, we can still find a good OL or DL player. I'm really thinking Mallet is still the actual target (just a gut feeling) and will be there at 41.

One day until the draft. And I'm loving that there is no telling what we may do.

Our need for a QB (and other teams as well) have made this QB class look a lot better than it actually is IMO. The speculation that there are 5 or 6 guys that might be selected in the first round speaks to team need a lot more than QB ability. This QB draft class was considered to be fairly weak 5 or 6 months ago, and now, as I predicted (pats self on back) several QBs who have no business being considered in the first round are now looked at as being near locks to go early. This happens every year.

I don’t see any of the current top 5 guys who would be ready to come in and compete for the starting job right away based solely on talent and demonstrated ability here in DC. Do you? How do any of these guys stack up against Sam Bradford? If Colt McCoy was in this draft class my guess is he’d be ranked above Gabbert, and maybe even Newton.

Yes, we need a QB, but next years QB draft class is very strong by the accounts I’ve read. Waiting seems logical given our multitude of needs. This team is not “close”. Most teams looking for a QB aren’t. More picks in the first three rounds is what this team needs, not giving up picks. If we end up moving up I’m sure I’ll rationalize it somehow and end up supporting it in the end, but here the day before the draft, I think it’s a bad idea.

Our need for a QB (and other teams as well) have made this QB class look a lot better than it actually is IMO. The speculation that there are 5 or 6 guys that might be selected in the first round speaks to team need a lot more than QB ability. This QB draft class was considered to be fairly weak 5 or 6 months ago, and now, as I predicted (pats self on back) several QBs who have no business being considered in the first round are now looked at as being near locks to go early. This happens every year.

I don’t see any of the current top 5 guys who would be ready to come in and compete for the starting job right away based solely on talent and demonstrated ability here in DC. Do you? How do any of these guys stack up against Sam Bradford? If Colt McCoy was in this draft class my guess is he’d be ranked above Gabbert, and maybe even Newton.

Yes, we need a QB, but next years QB draft class is very strong by the accounts I’ve read. Waiting seems logical given our multitude of needs. This team is not “close”. Most teams looking for a QB aren’t. More picks in the first three rounds is what this team needs, not giving up picks. If we end up moving up I’m sure I’ll rationalize it somehow and end up supporting it in the end, but here the day before the draft, I think it’s a bad idea.

well...after reading all these threads...makes me think Shanny is accomplishing exactly what he wants: creating a market for the 10th pick and sitting back to evaluate what's best. that has to be part of the strategy here. it's not player focused...it's value focused.

well...after reading all these threads...makes me think Shanny is accomplishing exactly what he wants: creating a market for the 10th pick and sitting back to evaluate what's best. that has to be part of the strategy here. it's not player focused...it's value focused.

I hope you're right. That would be the smart way to play it. In a move down scenario the more value we can extract from Team X or team Y to move up the better.

One thing I like about the past couple of years is that nobody outside of the Skins draft room has any idea what we’re thinking or who we’re targeting. Wasn’t like that when you know who was in charge of the draft.

I think that is a very plausible scenario. Shanny is, after all, shrewd and manipulative. This could be a good play-I hope you're right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.