• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

MMA: UFC, Strikeforce, etc.

Really lookin forward to Silva-Weidman a week from tonite.
Yea, it could be another quick finish by Silva.
But I think there's a good chance it could be completely different.
Just hoping it's a good, long fight.

I can't wait for the card this weekend. I like the main card from top to bottom, this will be the first PPV I've ordered in a while.

of course my new job starts THIS saturday. But I guess working as security at one of your favorite breweries will have to suffice.
What brewery? I am gonna have to choke you out in front of all your co-workers!

Quick Picks for tonight's card:

Andrew Craig def Chris Leben via UD
Dave Herman def Gabriel Gonzaga via TKO R2
Edson Barbosa def Rafaello Oliveira via KO R1
Cub Swanson def Dennis Siver via UD
Mark Munoz def Tim Boetsch via TKO R2
Roger Gracie def Tim Kennedy via submission (RNC) R1
Frankie Edgar def Charles Oliveira via UD
Anderson Silva def Chris Weidman via KO R2

This card is pretty nice from top to bottom. I'm very excited about Edson Barbosa, he always has potential to deliver KO of the year. Also, Charles Oliveira has some of the most beautiful jiu jitsu in MMA, but I don't see him getting past Frankie Edgar...Edgar is just too good IMO. Cub Swanson/Dennis Siver has potential to be a standup war, Roger Gracie might be the best pure BJJ practitioner in the world right now, so I'm always happy to see him. And of course Anderson Silva is always a fight that you want to see. :smile2:

I definitely think it's possible, but I think Weidman is still too green to beat a fighter of Anderson Silva's caliber (GOAT-caliber). As long as Anderson doesn't underestimate Weidman's abilities, I think he will get the KO. A submission from his back is possible too.

Kennedy v. Gracie is a good fight so far... 3rd round about to start.

Edit: Well, the 3rd round was dismal.

Oh and for all that is humane in this world...why is a woman referring a men's Heavy Weight fight!!!

Edit after Edgar Oliviera fight: Once again, Frankie Edgar shows he a great fighter.

Edit after Silva got KTFO: I liked seeing the showboat get knocked out like that. He gambled and took a beating for it!

Last edited:
Let the Silva fight be a lesson to athletes everywhere. It doesn't matter how awesome or dominant you are. It doesn't matter if people call you the GOAT. The fact never changes that you're never so good, that you can taunt an opponent, make a mockery of the sport, the fans, and your opponent like that.
If Silva can't get away with it, no-one can.
Hopefully this ends showboating in sports. I'm sure it won't. But hopefully it puts a huge dent in it.
Respect the sport, your opponent, and the fans who pay big money to see a sporting event, and not a dance and theatrics.

Dana White said a long time ago, after similar fight antics by Silva, that if he ever did that again, he'd cut Silva.
Wonder what he has to say about cutting him now.

Last edited:
I think NHB Gear put it best on their Twitter:

https://twitter.com/NHBGEAR

The best fighter in the cage didn't win, but the dumbest fighter DID lose.

Basically, Anderson did the same thing that Overeem did against Bigfoot, just on a higher level. I can just about guarantee that he learns his lesson about taunting.

Not enough credit is being given to Weidman.
Silva does those antics against everybody, but only Weidman could counter it.
Every other fighter was intimidated and confounded

Weidman won because he's the smarter and more level-headed fighter.

Chael interviewed Silva this past week, and asked him how much longer he would fight before he retires.
Silva said 10 years.
Now, after doing a silly dance for just 1.5 rounds, he's suddenly too "tired" (in his own words) to contend for the belt anymore

Weird.

I wouldn't take anything he said in the post-fight interview that seriously, that's why they don't normally interview fighters that have just been knocked unconscious.

8.gif

The difference I saw with Weidman's reaction to Silva's antics and other fighters in the past is that Weidman kept the pressure on Silva when he taunted and didn't allow Silva to get off a sharp punch to drop him like we have seen so often.

I agree with #98, I wouldn't take post fight interviews too seriously...especially after the subject had been knocked out. The money the UFC is going to make by putting these 2 back in the ring and the money UFC is going to pay them to fight again is too much for anyone to pass up. They should agree to terms for a rematch for January of next year I would bet.

And I would not be a bit surprised to see Silva come out and dominate the fight if he chooses to get serious about it. He was embarrassed last night and while he's older, he's still one of the very best in the sport.

And I will say it again, Frankie Edgar might be my favorite fighters in UFC. I read the tag line while they were interviewing him last night that said, "Edgar halts 3 loss skid" It was almost confusing because the 3 fights he "lost" were all great fights and I think he probably won 2 of them. Glad to see him take control in the 3rd round to really ensure there was no way the judges could score against him.

What an embarrassment. If I were Brazilian I wouldn't be crying. I'd be pissed.

Silva not only disrespected his opponent, he disrespected the entire sport. He wasn't the only one who paid for it. Everyone who paid money to see two fighters giving the audience their best were robbed as well.

Sorry to sound cranky. I love watching Silva fight. I just wish he loved fighting as much as he loves showing off.

Henry, I know you were looking for more of a fight last night from Silva, but from what I have seen trending on the interwebz, people are very pleased with the outcome. Silva's antics got tired and people were happy to see him get knocked out for it.

I think #98 was right. That was a good fight card last night and we saw it all. I wasn't as impressed with the Munoz win as the commentators seemed to be, Cub Swanson looks hungry, Barboza looked real good (I could see him giving Henderson a run for the title) and the Edgar fight was phenomenal. I came away from the card last night feeling I got my money's worth for the first time in a long time with the UFC...and I hadn't pay a dime to watch a fight in years. :laugh:

And I will say it again, Frankie Edgar might be my favorite fighters in UFC. I read the tag line while they were interviewing him last night that said, "Edgar halts 3 loss skid" It was almost confusing because the 3 fights he "lost" were all great fights and I think he probably won 2 of them. Glad to see him take control in the 3rd round to really ensure there was no way the judges could score against him.

Yeah, it definitely didn't feel like Edgar was coming off of a three-fight losing streak. I had to go back and look at his last fights when they said that.

Edgar hasn't had an easy fight, literally in years. Before last night, his opponents since 2010:

Jose Aldo
Ben Henderson x 2
Gray Maynard x 2
BJ Penn x 2

That has to be the toughest fight schedule in MMA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.