• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

MMA: UFC, Strikeforce, etc.

Cain and JDS are in a class by themselves.
No-one in the division comes close to either of them.
It's like having 2 Anderson Silvas in the same division.
Every HW title fight should be a re-match between these 2 guys until one of them retires.

JDS finish too:

jds-mark-hunt-ko.gif

Fear, I agree that those two are the best heavy weights out there, but the heavy weight class right now is abysmal. It is the worst weight class in the UFC.

Cain is listed as #6 in P4P....and IMO JDS should definitely be right up there, as well...so I think they're representing their division well....the HW division has certainly come a long way, since the days when the likes of Lesnar were champs.

I think it's a pretty equal combination of it being a weak division, and the 2 guys being elite fighters. Because the top 2 guys certainly aren't weak.

They are enjoying the fruits of a poor division.

Daniel Cormier deserves the fight for the belt, but Dana will give the UFC fans a rubber match first.

Cain/JDS rubber match makes the most sense right now IMO.

Financially, I agree. I was kinda skeptical of Cormier the first few fights I saw of him, but when he won the Strikeforce Heavy Weight Tournament, I started to think again. I was certain that when he got to the UFC he would not succeed, but the man just keeps winning.

Let them have their rubber match, but if Cormier is asked to fight another one of these lackluster heavy weights, like Big Country or the like, wins and is not given his shot...I will start crying foul again.

I would also like to see Alistair Overeem come back with his head on straight after getting punished by Bigfoot. I believe he is a much better fighter than the one who showed up and got demolished by Silva. I think a focused Overeem could beat either JDS or Velasquez. Can the knuckle head get his **** together?

Me too, Fear. Mainly because I just want Rashad to go away.

I'm also pulling for Big Country.

Especially the Jimmo fight. That may have been the worst fight I've ever seen.

I think the Nelson fight was a combination of Nelson's weaknesses, and Miocic's potential.
Nelson was exposed, and confirmed he isn't a top contender, and may never be.
But it should be interesting to see if Miocic can repeat that performance against a top fighter. All I know is his execution last night was flawless from start to finish.
Stipe looked surgical, dare I say, almost JDS-like.

What did you guys think of the Jake Sheilds decision ? Were you as surprised by that as Woodley was ? Right decision or not, he was pretty disrespectful the way he pouted away, and basically blew off Shields' handshake

Last edited:
I haven't seen any of the fights yet Fear. I've always been a Roy Nelson fan simply because he looks so fat and out of shape, but he just connects and crushes people. He cracks me up.

I haven't seen any of the fights yet Fear. I've always been a Roy Nelson fan simply because he looks so fat and out of shape, but he just connects and crushes people. He cracks me up.

If dude actually put the time and effort into losing the weight and getting to 205, which is probably an ideal fight weight for him, he would probably contend for a championship. Not saying he could beat Jones, but he would definitely be better than the fighters in last night's main event.

If dude actually put the time and effort into losing the weight and getting to 205, which is probably an ideal fight weight for him, he would probably contend for a championship. Not saying he could beat Jones, but he would definitely be better than the fighters in last night's main event.

He needs to do more than just lose weight. He is not an extremely technical, strategic, or skilled fighter. He mostly relies on a combination of toughness and haymakers.
Last night Rogan kept raving how many don't know that Nelson is a "world-class BJJ fighter" due to the fact that he "just hasn't had the need to use it up until now". That is BS. He's lost 6 of his last 12 fights. And FIVE of those 6 losses were UNANIMOUS decisions. That's plenty of opportunity to realize you're in serious danger of losing a decision, so if you're such a great BJJ artist, then use it, if you're losing so badly in points. But no, Nelson just entirely relies on winning every fight with a Nelson bomb, all the way until the end, no matter how far behind he is. Come on, Joe...."hasn't needed to use it" ??? You act like he's undefeated or invincible like Silva. Far from it.
So, either this talk of him about being great at BJJ is BS, or he's not a smart enough fighter to know that he's been in a LOT of situations where he should have used it.
Don't get me wrong. I like Roy. He is fun to watch. And I do pull for him every fight. And he's inspiring to obese people everywhere. But let's face it, he's a one-trick pony. Or at least, he fights like he is. And I don't think losing weight is going to change that very much. It may even hurt him - if that's the only change he makes

Last edited:
I guess I should have expounded a little...I assume that if he was to put in the time to lose the weight, that would mean he is actually training hard and not being so lazy that he relies on a one punch knock out because long drawn out matches are tough. He's lazy and you can see it in his fight style and body.

Taking the time to train and get down to what would likely be his best fighting weight would actually involve some discipline. If he displayed some discipline, his "world class BJJ" might be on display for all to see.

And the fat tub-o-lard has been fighting in the UFC, which is the one of the ultimate MMA organizations in the world, which means he most certainly is at the top in his class. He may not be the best in the world, but he fights with the best and loses many and wins some. That would put him near the top.

And I am not a real fan of his. I find him to be a slothful, disgusting display of a fighter. I find his laziness rather unattractive, it makes the sport look bad. I am not saying he needs to be a chiseled Adonis, but for ****'s sake show some pride and actually do something to be the best you can be.

There's no doubt that conditioning is a major issue.
Did you see Saturday's fight ?
To say that Nelson was gassed, would be a HUGE understatement.
By Round 3, he was literally wobbling and stumbling around the cage, and I'm talking about the times he was NOT being rocked or even hit, at all !!

Conditioning alone is reason enough to remove him from title consideration.
If a low ranked fighter like Miocic can wear out Nelson in only 3 rounds, how could Nelson possibly survive a 5 round title fight, and against much better opponents ??

He won't.

Nelson has actually never fought more than 3 rounds professionally. And we've seen what happens to him in 3 rounds, under moderate pressure. So 5 rounds is out of the question, until he either loses weight, and/or improves his cardio, and/or his strategy. But again, cardio is only one issue, like I said in my earlier post. Even if he does the things I just mentioned in this paragraph, that in itself won't make him a contender. It's just the first step.

agreed...but dude was on point with all of his punches. he had a great strategy and executed it perfectly. the ONLY thing Roy can take away from that fight is that he has a good chin.

And that chin is the only defense that he has
Two phrases can sum up Nelson's entire fighting style and arsenal : heavy knockout power, and incredible chin.
It's for those reasons that every single Nelson fight only has one of two possible outcomes : either Nelson wins by knockout, or if he fails at that, he loses by decision.
Virtually every single time. So predictable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.