• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Luck vs. RGIII?

Which QB do you WANT under center in 2012?

• Andrew Luck

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 37 90.2%

• Total voters

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Conventional wisdom says that surely (and quit calling me Shirley!) the Colts are pre-destined to take Andrew Luck with their #1 pick in April's draft. But setting aside that 'certainty', given your choice, which quarterback would you most excited to have under center for the Redskins in 2012?

Andrew Luck?

Or Robert Griffin III?

I'll admit, I would be a little less amped if we ended up with Luck...mainly due to the excitement factor. I think Luck will be a great QB in the NFL but he just doesn't generate the excitement of RGIII. Skins fans DESERVE that kind of excitement after the last 20 years.

I have to go with Griffin. And I say that despite my belief that he's ultimately a riskier proposition on a couple of fronts. Although I think many overstate his penchant for taking off and running (what I've observed is that he's always looking to pass, even when he decides to take off with it), it does put him at greater risk for a short-lived career. He's also got a more abbreviated resume on which to base our judgement. We've been hearing about Andrew Luck for years, but RGIII, like Cam Newton before him, was barely in the conversation in terms of future franchise QB glory until his final year.

That doesn't mean his Heisman-winning year was a aberration or fluke - but if you want years and years of evidence the QB we take is going to unquestionably succeed - Luck's your guy, not RGIII.

And, if we really want to go there, those who argue that NFL history shows two things - that athletic African-American QBs rarely succeed long-term in the NFL, and that drafting a Heisman winner under center is usually a failed strategy, it's hard to argue against those two assertions convincingly.

But I think Griffin is different. Why do I go with him over supposedly all-world Luck? He's smart, he's got character, he's the superior athlete, and he's got that spark, the 'IT factor' I've talked a lot about over the years, that can not only make him a great QB, but a franchise-making QB.

Griffin is exactly what the Washington Redskins organization needs, not just on the football field, but in the locker room, in the media room, and in the community. If he turns out to be the on-the-field star we think he is, he'll be the face of the franchise for the next 10 years and beyond.

It's Griffin, all the way, and I'm not even looking back.

I'm all in with RG3. The more I find out about him, the more I like. Can't wait for training camp! I guess maybe I should at least wait for the draft first. :)

I am voting RGIII as well, but it is a VERY close vote for me. To me, Griffin is all about a higher ceiling. His potential is amazing. As others have noted, I think he has the chance to redefine the QB position moving forward. Luck's ceiling, imo, is not as high, but I think he will be a damned good QB for a decade-plus. Top five QB in the NFL every year, and there is certainly something to be said for stability, and having a guy like Eli, Rivers, etc, where you know that barring injuries, you are going to the playoffs every season.

Given our historical ineptitude, I can admit there is something comforting about taking the safe option. Luck is safe, kind of guaranteed to be really, really good. And considering how our QBs have been really, really bad-to-mediocre for twenty years, I can be easily happy with a really, really good QB.

But the chance to get a superlative, possibly historical QB (barely) outweighs that for me. Griffin is... special. And has a chance to be historically good, I think. I think I'm willing to take that risk. Barely.

Luck and its not close, the big 12 has never produced a HOF qb ever, I dont think its produced a pro bowler, with what we risked, if our pick busts we get another 5 years of crapulence.

Luck is definitely the safer pick, no doubt. As I said, I almost went there, but the potential has me excited.

I respect Ryman's position. I think there's a strong argument to be made that, as Goal described so well, if fortune sends Luck our way, it could be the best turn of events the Redskins have experienced in a long time.

Still, I hope it's Griffin.

over the past few weeks you asshats have done a lot to get me to at least somewhat change my mind, watching scads of film and reading an immense amount about Griffin has gone a long ways towards making me less crappy about this. Newton breaking out last year removed one of my key worries because at least now there is precedent even if the odds are stifling against Griffin. There is a huge amount to like about the kid, brains, athleticism and a super high ceiling. I just have trouble with the potential that as close as we are right now to being solid again, we could end up being the way we have been and I hate even the idea of that lol.

I am not a gambler I guess, but now im forced to being one.

I've pumped myself up beyond reasonable expectations for RG3, anyone else and I'd be disappointed. :)

So because the Big 12 (a largely run first, run second, pass third only if the distance is greater than 10 yards, otherwise run third conference) hasn't produced a HOF QB, a generational talent like RG3 is going to fail?

Welp, can't argue with such SOUND, no-flaws reasoning like that!

So because the Big 12 (a largely run first, run second, pass third only if the distance is greater than 10 yards, otherwise run third conference) hasn't produced a HOF QB, a generational talent like RG3 is going to fail?

Welp, can't argue with such SOUND, no-flaws reasoning like that!

I didn't see Ryman say anything like that. He said the Big 12 has never produced a HOF QB. That's certainly a relevant fact to consider when you've paid the kind of price we've paid presumably to select a Big 12 QB.

I think it's a superficial argument - as you wouldn't say 'this QB is from 'X' conference which has produced 'X' many HOFers - let's draft him'. But it's a legitimate fact to consider.

I'm going with RG3, because feel that is who we will get. If for some reason the Colts take RG3 and we get Luck, then that is fine. Either one will be a major upgrade to where we are and have been recently.

I think both are very equal. Luck has played in a pro style offense, so he will have less of a learning curve. RG3 brings excitement.

I didn't see Ryman say anything like that. He said the Big 12 has never produced a HOF QB. That's certainly a relevant fact to consider when you've paid the kind of price we've paid presumably to select a Big 12 QB.

"Luck and its not close, the big 12 has never produced a HOF qb ever, I dont think its produced a pro bowler, with what we risked, if our pick busts we get another 5 years of crapulence."

So he didn't say he was going to fail, but he wants Luck and "its not even close" because the big 12 hasn't even produced a pro-bowler. I'm just saying, it wasn't until recently that the big 12 even instituted the forward pass into the rule book, so its kind of silly to make a statement like that.

I think it's a superficial argument - as you wouldn't say 'this QB is from 'X' conference which has produced 'X' many HOFers - let's draft him'. But it's a legitimate fact to consider.

Oh, it would have been legitimate 20 years ago, maybe even 10 years ago, but not now. The Big-12 has morphed into a conference with prolific passing offenses; I think its safe to rule out ancient history as a reason not to back a QB from that conference.

RG3 is the answer ...baylor has NOT been to a bowl just as long as us being to a super bowl but all that change with the play of RG3 ...his WR were all short and RB not as good, but made them look good except for kendall wright there wasn't as much eye opening talent ..just saying with good play at the QB position things can and will happen, he's not going to sit back there and take a 15 yard loss like Rex or Beck ...i know many of you are just like me ...i live for redskins football although it hasn't been much to root for in recent years ...it doesn't matter , with RG3 i finally have something to look foward too ...i'm soooo excited i can't wait for mini camp ! colts better take luck ..........

He said what he said, but it wasn't what you said. I agree with you in terms of the argument. But there was no need for the last sentence.

Now lets get back to RGIII vs. Luck :)

As I mentioned earlier I'm leaning more toward RGIII than I am toward Luck. Both have displayed a level of skill and smarts as QBs that sets them apart and above the rest of the current crop of available QBs in this years draft. Their styles are notably different but effective.

I agree with Boone about the "excitement" factor of RGIII being a major component. The Redskins and we fans have been mired in year after year of doldrums laced with glimpses of promise but always with caveats based on "more of the same"-a "tweak" rather than a change of direction, an "upgrade" rather than a re-make. I think it's time to shake things up, go off in a new direction, shed the painful nostalgia of past successes and realize there will be no more '83, 87, or 91 type Redskins teams that can win a SB. The next team the Redskins have that is a SB contender won't look anything like the previous SB winning teams.

They can't-that type of football won't do it anymore. Not in Washington. Not with the Redskins.

The emergence of the Tebow, Newton, Griffin, and-to a certain extent even Luck type QBs, are QBs that aren't of the cookie-cutter mold we've come to believe is "The Only Right Way" to a winning team. RGIII doesn't look like anything the Redskins have ever had under center and that's, IMHO, exactly what the Redskins need in this decade-something different, new, fresh, a skilled, mobile, bright, and wonderfully athletic QB who can energize this team, energize the fans, get us out of a 20 year old battle between angst and ennui and get butterflies back in our stomachs.

Yes, I think Andrew Luck could do that.

I think RGIII could do it better.

Love that post serv...sponge...err...I mean BLOG-worthy :)

Griffin and it isn't even close. Can I vote twice? :thumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.