• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Luck vs. RGIII?

Which QB do you WANT under center in 2012?

• Andrew Luck

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Robert Griffin III

Votes: 37 90.2%

• Total voters
Smarts, self-motivation, coupled with off-the-chart athletic ability.

He says "yes sir" and "no sir" as part of his regular conversation.

Lanky, your argument about the style of football is not only facetious but fallacious. Look at how many Big 12 QB's put up massive numbers, I am not talking about in the past century but the past 10 seasons even, I cant name ONE good QB in the NFL who came out of the big 12 even though the Big 12 has had several QB's who put up ridiculous numbers in a conference that supposedly only recently " added the forward pass".

I can see why guys like Boone and Neo are excited, even on film the kid looks like he is moving at another speed, I am almost swayed by how pretty of a pass he throws and how often he hits guys in stride, but windows in the NFL are not the same in College, Andre Ware threw a nice ball, Mike Vick and Randall Cunningham were both pretty crazy fast and had BIG arms. What Concerns me is precedent COMBINED with stats. If it was an eyeball test, he is a bit small and not very thick but that would be offset by his startling athleticism, if it was a film test, he passes easily because his film hilites are awesome to watch, but his quality of competition defencively worries me massively.

I also worry about the added pressure he has now with being our Saviour, and I am more worried that we lack a true LT and a great pass protecting line, I am hopeful that the huge chunk of money we spent on a receiver wasnt wasted, but I still think a true possession receiver will be key and im hopeful that morgan or hank becomes that guy. just too many ifs for my blood.

I like those who choose RG3 over Luck because of his intelligence. Baylor is by no means Arizona St in terms of academics, but it is a far cry from Stanford and Luck was an Academic All-American. Yeah, yeah, I know RG3 graduated already and was/is working on his Masters, but I cannot understand how the category of "smarts" is given to RG3 over Luck. I would call that a push since he earned Academic All-American at Stanford.

Athleticism? Let's not forget, Luck ran a 4.5 forty at 6'4" and 245. RG3 was faster, but at least 25 pounds lighter.

I like what Neo said about RG3 and how he says yes sir and no sir. That shows he was raised to respect others. But from what I saw from Luck gives me a very similar impression, he seemed genuinely gracious both times he was runner-up for the Heisman.

Athleticism? Let's not forget, Luck ran a 4.5 forty at 6'4" and 245. RG3 was faster, but 25 pounds lighter.

I think RG3 will get beat up in the NFL. I think he will rely on his athleticism more than he should in the NFL, especially with the O-line we have coupled with LB's running 4.4's now. I think Luck is better at avoiding the rush by simply shifting one step to avoid the shot. RG3 runs the ball an awful lot and he takes a lot of hard hits.

Luck for the win! Now come on Irsay! Show us all how much of an attention whore you are and take the flashy red sports car instead of the dependable luxury sedan!

btw David Carr is the example that I think most fits here, he was lauded as the saviour for the texans, played behind a good run blocking but poor pass protecting line, took a beating and never recovered.

I see your point but the situations are a little different (there are lots of other similar ones though). Call me crazy, I still think that behind a better O-line or a better system Carr would have been a solid NFL QB. He got beat down so thoroughly in Dom Caper's crappy offense that he was never able to grow into being an NFL starter he could have been. Going to the wrong system/situation kills more QBs careers than any lack of natural talent or leadership and I think that was the case here. That's a different argument though and I don't want to take the conversation into the ditch.

Guess my point is the cupboard isn't bare here in DC. Our offensive talent is a lot better than what the Texans had, so the situation either would come to in DC wouldn't be nearly as grim.

Honestly I think the pressure on whoever ends up in DC is going to be less than in Indy. Yes the Skins have know success but not recently. You throw a hungry man a ham sandwich and he appreciates it. If he's used to steak and lobster like the fans in Indy have has since Peyton arrived then good isn't going to be good enough. Especially if they can look to the west and see their old QB lighting it up in Denver.

Sure there will be some pressure in DC but I think it may be on par with living up to "being the best Stanford prospect since John Elway" or being the savior of a Baylor program that was dead for nearly 20 years. I think with the slightest success either of these guys are going to be immediately embraced by a city and fan-base that is starving for a winner. These guys are both winners.

btw David Carr is the example that I think most fits here, he was lauded as the saviour for the texans, played behind a good run blocking but poor pass protecting line, took a beating and never recovered.

A "savior" for the Texans? In their very first season of existence?

Lanky, your argument about the style of football is not only facetious but fallacious. Look at how many Big 12 QB's put up massive numbers, I am not talking about in the past century but the past 10 seasons even, I cant name ONE good QB in the NFL who came out of the big 12 even though the Big 12 has had several QB's who put up ridiculous numbers in a conference that supposedly only recently " added the forward pass".

I can see why guys like Boone and Neo are excited, even on film the kid looks like he is moving at another speed, I am almost swayed by how pretty of a pass he throws and how often he hits guys in stride, but windows in the NFL are not the same in College, Andre Ware threw a nice ball, Mike Vick and Randall Cunningham were both pretty crazy fast and had BIG arms. What Concerns me is precedent COMBINED with stats. If it was an eyeball test, he is a bit small and not very thick but that would be offset by his startling athleticism, if it was a film test, he passes easily because his film hilites are awesome to watch, but his quality of competition defencively worries me massively.

I also worry about the added pressure he has now with being our Saviour, and I am more worried that we lack a true LT and a great pass protecting line, I am hopeful that the huge chunk of money we spent on a receiver wasnt wasted, but I still think a true possession receiver will be key and im hopeful that morgan or hank becomes that guy. just too many ifs for my blood.

So you refute my argument with no proof. Not even one counter example, Ryman?

I cant name ONE good QB in the NFL who came out of the big 12 even though the Big 12 has had several QB's who put up ridiculous numbers in a conference that supposedly only recently " added the forward pass".

In this world we live, there's a first for everything....

I voted for Luck because he's is widely viewed as the best QB prospect in a long time. So why not go with the best. People are forgetting how athletic Luck is and that his combine numbers compared with Cam Newton's from last year. I also like how I hear that he is great at reading defenses pre-snap and adjusting. That is very Brady and Manning esque as they are the best at that. I know that's high comparison, but if I'm going to dream I'm going to dream big.

I fully expect the Skins to end up with Griffin. When he declared for the draft, my first thought was "Hail to the Redskins!". I didn't know then we would have to trade so much to get him, but I had a feeling he would end up in DC.

I'm ecstatic about the thought of getting either one of them. We are about to watch a QB that is far better than anything we have seen in Burgundy and Gold since before I was born. My hope is that the Colts choose the wrong one and we choose the right one.

Amen Kel.

Amen.

Here's the question. Do you want the next John Elway? Or do you want the next Warren Moon? You can't go wrong either way. You just can't. But there are a few things, some major some much less so, that have put me solidly in the RGIII camp.

First of all, the kid is smart. I don't just mean football smarts, he's an intelligent squared-away young man. Yeah, I know. Luck is too. You don't go to Stanford, even to play football, if you're a dip****. But Griffin just has something else to him in that regard. He's got practical intelligence both on and off the field. That matters.

Also, Griffin throws an excellent deep ball. I just want to see ONE of those again. I'm tired of worm burners, or balls that a telephone pole couldn't catch. Let me see just once more a ball dropped into a receiver's bread basket from 50 yards, and scoring without a defender in the frame.

Griffin can also throw those intermediate and short routes. I just feel like no matter what he needs to do with the ball, he can do it. And athleticism? Hell, comparing Luck and Griffin is like comparing me and Roy Helu. (OK, not quite THAT bad.)

And finally, intangibles. I like Griffin. He's got the right amount of both cockiness and humility. And he's thoughtful. Read about his proposal to his fiancee sometime. Touching as all get out. He's just a good young man. One of those guys that makes you stick your chest out and say, "yeah, this kid is the leader of my team."

I have to admit, I'll be disappointed if we take Luck. He seems sterile and unpolished to me when I hear him speak. And though I love what he can do physically, he just doesn't have that "it" to me. I grant that they haven't found a combine test to measure "it" yet, but if they did, Griffin would set a record that will never be broken.

For these reasons, and others, I think the COLTS should take RGIII. I think anyone with the opportunity should. I pray that they don't. And when/if I hear that they've agreed to terms with Luck, I can only hope I survive the largest adrenaline rush my system has ever experienced.

RG3 not your typical Big12 QB

RG3 throws the deep ball better than anyone, RG3 is faster than any previous Big12 QB, RG3 was great his freshman year but has progressed amazingly. Durability is my only concern.

Luck and its not close, the big 12 has never produced a HOF qb ever, I dont think its produced a pro bowler, with what we risked, if our pick busts we get another 5 years of crapulence.

The Big 12 was founded in 1996...pretty small sample size you're working with here....especially if you're talking about the HOF.

Don't worry about him handling pressure. He had tremendous pressure leading scrappy little Baylor to a ten win season. Few interceptions, runs we're often called plays, and he had to constantly adjust and ad lib on the field due to pressure. Great leader with the "it" factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.