• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Like It Or Not Redskins Two Years Away

If they are, then the Shanahans shouldn't be here in 2 years, because I don't see Shanahan being on a "5 year plan"
Why? That's exactly what he said when he got here, that it was a 5 year plan.

Its true we are only a game out of first place in the division, but based on what you have seen so far after five weeks, how many of you would pick the Redskins to win the NFC East this season? Be honest.
But how many of us were saying they would, or should, win the division before the year started? Don't let a good performance against a terrible Saints team and 4 solid weeks of a rookie QB playing ridiculously well, change your perspective of what expectations were going into the season.

Finally, if you are saying that we can be good in 2013 (which is reasonable), define "good" in terms of record. And if we don't meet that record, should Shanahan be retained?
Good to me means making the playoffs. How good depends on how you make the playoffs.

And yes, my opinion is Shanahan should be given the 5 years he asked for when we hired him and the 5 years he said it would take when first spoke as HC.

I understand it is a learning process for Kyle, the kid is only 33 years old, and Griff...I mean he is a rookie. But it is frustrating to watch something that works pushed aside so easily for some foolish play call. I mean, sitting at a desk chatting with friends while watching the game, I could see that play action coming... If I can see it, Mike Nolan should and did.

I'll ask again, what is it that was working so well that we got away from this week? I keep hearing this after every loss, that we 'got away' from some sort of play calling that was unstopable until we decided to 'get cute'.

We were rushing the ball very well through three quarters. It netted us 3 points.
What is it we got away from that was working so well? What was pushed aside?

Is that, to make the playoffs, or win the Super Bowl ?

to be a well built team, with depth, that can contend for the division for years to go. to be a legitimate NFL organization instead of the laughing stock we were before they got here.

we were, like it or not, in the conversations with the browns and raiders as worst organizations in the league.

not just a bad team with a lack of talent, but substantial, deep running problems organizationally.

we didn't need a new scheme, we didn't need an injection of talent, we needed an entirely new direction for the whole organization to go in.

i'm not old enough to remember the last time this organization was run anywhere near the level of professionalism we're at now. only people who remember the '80's and the 90/91 season can say they were.

sorry but I don't think 2 seasons and 5 games is enough to decide this isn't good enough and go back to the coaching carousel.

if we go back to that we might as well pitch a tent over FedEx Field and call it a circus instead of an NFL stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:
just to be clear i hated the shanahan hire when it happened. i thought it was more of the same - paying someone because they won a super bowl elsewhere, then watching them fail here.

5 games into the 3rd season i'm incredibly happy to be wrong and think this organization is clearly on the right path.

I'll ask again, what is it that was working so well that we got away from this week? I keep hearing this after every loss, that we 'got away' from some sort of play calling that was unstopable until we decided to 'get cute'.

We were rushing the ball very well through three quarters. It netted us 3 points.
What is it we got away from that was working so well? What was pushed aside?

T, and I ask this with all due respect, are you just not reading the examples given of this? You're looking at the big picture, not drive-by-drive. The very couple of series are a perfect example of this.

T, and I ask this with all due respect, are you just not reading the examples given of this? You're looking at the big picture, not drive-by-drive. The very couple of series are a perfect example of this.

No, I look drive-by-drive. There's no sense in us getting into it because you wont even admit that a play that is called a designed run is a run.

drive 1: 2 runs, 4 passes
drive 2: 2 runs, 1 passes
drive 3: 2 runs, 4 passes
drive 4: 3 runs, 2 passes
drive 5: 3 runs
drive 6: 3 runs, 2 passes
drive 7: 2 runs, 5 passes
drive 8: 1 run, 2 passes

18 runs, 18 passes (scrambles count as passes)

Thats the first 3 quarters.
50% passes 50% runs.
3 points.

What is it we got away from that was so successful that game?
We did exactly what you wanted - Griffin didn't run the ball except on scrambles.
Got almost 100 yards on the ground in a half. It's a shame they don't give points for yards, cause we got 0 points in that half.
3 through 3 quarters.

Some years ago, the skins played Denver in the Super Bowl. At the end of the game, they asked Coach Gibbs about the play calling and whythe skins kept calling a running play to the right with the pulling LT Jacoby. He said --- because they could not stop us and we were going to run the play until they could. Shanny was the coach for the losing Bronocs. Don't you think he would have remembered?

Last edited:
Pretty sure that was Dan Reeves.

Timetables don't mean squat. Turnarounds have happened, and will continue to happen, in short, medium, and longer windows. You give someone 5 years so there isn't a way for them to say they weren't given a chance.

Great coaches get great play, out of most of their players, regardless of their talent level.
Good coaches get only good play, out of a lot of their players.
Poor coaches, fail to even get good play, out of their best players.

We do not have great coaches.

If we are 2 years away after 4 years into this program with Shanny, then explain to me why the 49ers took only 1 year?

The 49ers were already built. They just needed a coach.

Look at their roster. The team has been built almost entirely through the draft and patience. 10 starters on offense and 7 on defense home-grown talent. Most of them drafted between 2007 and 2010. Most 'experts' excepted 2010 to be the breakout year, which is why Singletary got fired when it wasn't. The 49ers were not an overnight success, but we should definitely be looking at their example.

But one of their 'build' areas was OL which does not seem to be a priority for the Redskins in terms of upgrades. We seem fine with middle to late round picks as depth and second tier free agents as starters.

Timetables don't mean squat. Turnarounds have happened, and will continue to happen, in short, medium, and longer windows. You give someone 5 years so there isn't a way for them to say they weren't given a chance.

Great coaches get great play, out of most of their players, regardless of their talent level.
Good coaches get only good play, out of a lot of their players.
Poor coaches, fail to even get good play, out of their best players.

We do not have great coaches.

This.

I'll say this - I think the OP is dead-on. But if we can't build a winner over the next 3-5 years with Griffin under center, we truly are a cursed franchise.

As I said when he was drafted, Shanahan might just be providing the Redskins with Griffin so the NEXT coach gets to the next level and wins with him.

Reminds me a bit of George Allen trading for Joe Theismann and then seeing him win a Super Bowl for Joe Gibbs after he was fired and gone from DC.

But one of their 'build' areas was OL which does not seem to be a priority for the Redskins in terms of upgrades. We seem fine with middle to late round picks as depth and second tier free agents as starters.

And yet Alex Smith gets sacked 8.1% of the time he drops back to pass. Last year when the 49ers suddenly got good overnight Smith was sacked 9% of the time.

Griffin, who supposedly gets hit every time he drops back, is at 7.5%.

Like I said earlier in the thread, our line play isn't great but it's not going to keep us from winning. Plenty of successful teams cover for bad line play.

No Fear, they built through the draft and had plenty of talent there when the right coach arrived.

If we are 2 years away after 4 years into this program with Shanny, then explain to me why the 49ers took only 1 year?

how are we 2 years away after 4?
he just started his 3rd season....

to answer your question, the 49ers weren't a talent deprived, organizationally bankrupt team. we were.

Some years ago, the skins played Denver in the Super Bowl. At the end of the game, they asked Coach Gibbs about the play calling and whythe skins kept calling a running play to the right with the pulling LT Jacoby. He said --- because they could not stop us and we were going to run the play until they could. Shanny was the coach for the losing Bronocs. Don't you think he would have remembered?

Dan Reves was the coach during the '87 season, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Reeves#Head_coaching_record
Not Shanahan...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.