• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

I don't agree Kirk's been 'jerked around' - in what way? Being given the starters job in favor of a #2 pick in the draft? Being put in an offense and put in a position to put up Pro Bowl #'s? Making more money than any of us could dream of?

The only legitimate gripe he could have is that the team hasn't signed him to a new long term deal. That's it imho. And it takes two to get a deal done.

The 'Kirk has been wronged' stuff is just silly imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't really consider getting well over $40m in cash for two seasons of work "jerked around."

Nick

So it's too much to ask a professional football team to pay the market rate for a 5000 yd passer?
So I take it when you put out top production at work, you appreciate being low balled?

PT Barnum was right. There is a sucker born every minute.

He got a shitload of $$ last year. He's getting an even bigger shitload of money this year. If they want him around next season he'll get the biggest shitload of $$ ever paid to a tagged player. Ever.

Seriously DP - I love you - but he's getting more financial love than 95% of NFL players have ever gotten. Ever.

I understand part of what you're saying. If they wanted him signed to a LTD, they should have done it prior to going into last year. I agree with that. I don't really understand what our strategy here is (assuming there is one). But to argue he's been somehow abused - I just don't think it's based in reality. If it's about his 'feelings', he's just as big a diva as RG3 ever was. I give him more credit than that. I think he's just playing hardball for more $$. I love Cousins. I reserve the right to change my mind.

If we **** this up and lose Cousins, I'm already on record that I'll be as pissed and disillusioned as any other fan. But we can't pretend that Cousins has an equal role in what happens. And if they make him a bigtime offer and he rejects it because he's somehow been 'done wrong' - then he's just a big *pussy* and he can move the eff on. He hasn't stepped up in big moments and carried this team to be able to have that attitude. That's just how I feel about it.

Last edited:
Hey DP - on a personal note - and I hope you don't mind me speaking directly to you. You are the perfect example of what the Redskins organization has done to this fanbase over the years and it makes me sad. Man - you are a great fan. I know that. I've interacted with you for nearly a decade - there aren't many more committed fans than you. But I sense the fatigue and disillusionment in your 'web voice'. It really does make me sad. At the same time, I vacillate between what I want to hope and believe, that this front office and owner will eventually get it and we'll have a return to glory, and doom and gloom where it seems we'll never get back there.

I sympathize and empathize with you so much. But it does bum me out when I see my fellow Redskins fans have such low esteem for and low expectations for the organization. I understand it because I'm just a hop-skip-and-a-jump from the same damn place, but it does make me wish we would turn the corner and be able to enjoy some real success and be able to trust the organization again. Redskins fans so deserve that.

Not sure why I felt the need to say all that - but hang in there brother. I really believe our day will come again. And when it does the guys like us who've spent so much time investing in it all will experience the greatest joy of all. Here's to you :cheers:

Isn't Kirk's agent the same firm representing Mcluvin? Greasy ****er may be putting #8's situation into play with the firing of McL.

On the other hand if the team actually offered Derek Carr type $ & Kirk turned it down due to diva ptsd, then he & Shan deserve each other, good riddance. The dude is already set for life.

Isn't Kirk's agent the same firm representing Mcluvin? Greasy ****er may be putting #8's situation into play with the firing of McL.

On the other hand if the team actually offered Derek Carr type $ & Kirk turned it down due to diva ptsd, then he & Shan deserve each other, good riddance. The dude is already set for life.

Interesting, it's a huge firm called Priority Sports, and on their "football" page, out of all their clients, none other than Kirk Cousins' picture is planted at the top of the page.
I guess they're trying to make a bigger name for themselves, with a splash monster contract with Kirk.

http://www.prioritysports.biz/football

But to answer your question, no McClou does not have the same representation.
His is with Peter Schaffer, who's not with Priority Sports.

Gotcha, I musta imagined it but coulda swore there was a story a while back they had the same agent. Basically there was nothing to worry about at the time to get a deal done. Due to familiarity between GM and agent. Oh well

You dont franchise a QB two full years in a row. You just dont.

You can call it jerking around or not, you can blame the QB for being a diva, say he shouldnt have thrown this INT or that, call his agent a cotton-headed ninnymuggins, but at the end of the day if we end up franchising Cousins for two full seasons ... thats bad management. Period.

Either he's good enough or he isnt. If the front office doesnt know by now they should be flipping burgers somewhere.

Kirk IS good enough. The double tag is a defensive maneuver by the team, a way that teams are allowed to keep from losing their best players. That's all I think we are seeing here. Kirk wants to be the highest paid qb. Without the tag, teams would be held hostage and the tail would wag the dog. The system has been set up by the nfl and has a purpose. Look whats happened in the nba, players run it, decide where to go and salaries are off the charts. The nfl in their infinite wisdom don't want the golden goose killed. Parity is destroyed when players make the choices on where to play and for how much. The players involved are the pawns, but the teams rosters can't be destroyed on account of one player taking all the dough. That's what can't happen.

Boone and the rest of the gang,

Let me clarify: when I refer to Kirk getting jerked around, I'm referring to a LTD.

I was completely on the team's side when they franchised him the first time. Like: OK...you busted out the second half of a season and played at a high level. Here!s a tag,prove it wasn't a fluke and we'll pay you.

As a fan, I appreciated that move cause Lord knows we've been burnt before by guys flaming out at that position.

But now, it's time to lock him up and there seems to be a lot of " hemming and hawing" by the team.

To me, it's simple: You start at Derrick Carr's contract and negotiate from there. Don't come out and lowball the guy.

Long term security is important to a lot of players. Especially to a guy ready to start a family. You asked the guy to basically accept a one year "prove it" deal and he proved it.

That's more than any free agent of the Snyder era has ever been willing to do and Kirk's homegrown.....so either crap or get off the pot.

That's my frustration. No animosity to anyone here. We're all brothers and sisters here....we argue and fight, cause that's what we do. :)

Btw: Appreciate the kind words Boone!

They like me! They really like me! ;)

You dont franchise a QB two full years in a row. You just dont.

You can call it jerking around or not, you can blame the QB for being a diva, say he shouldnt have thrown this INT or that, call his agent a cotton-headed ninnymuggins, but at the end of the day if we end up franchising Cousins for two full seasons ... thats bad management. Period.

Either he's good enough or he isnt. If the front office doesnt know by now they should be flipping burgers somewhere.

I think this is the best conclusion I've seen on this topic. Probably something most fans would agree on. Have to wonder if this isn't all an after effect of the RG3 debacle. Gun shy?

Boone and the rest of the gang,

Let me clarify: when I refer to Kirk getting jerked around, I'm referring to a LTD.

I was completely on the team's side when they franchised him the first time. Like: OK...you busted out the second half of a season and played at a high level. Here!s a tag,prove it wasn't a fluke and we'll pay you.

As a fan, I appreciated that move cause Lord knows we've been burnt before by guys flaming out at that position.

But now, it's time to lock him up and there seems to be a lot of " hemming and hawing" by the team.

To me, it's simple: You start at Derrick Carr's contract and negotiate from there. Don't come out and lowball the guy.

Long term security is important to a lot of players. Especially to a guy ready to start a family. You asked the guy to basically accept a one year "prove it" deal and he proved it.

That's more than any free agent of the Snyder era has ever been willing to do and Kirk's homegrown.....so either crap or get off the pot.

That's my frustration. No animosity to anyone here. We're all brothers and sisters here....we argue and fight, cause that's what we do. :)

Btw: Appreciate the kind words Boone!

They like me! They really like me! ;)

I agree with most of that. Only issue I take exception too is that there's any intent not to do right by Kirk. Kirk can interpret it that way, but I have zero doubt that the team, whatever its logic, is both trying to do right by the team AND Cousins. I think Kirk has gotten (or will get) a generous offer before the deadline. If he doesn't take it, that says a lot more about what Cousins wants than it does the Redskins.

It's the 15th of July and the deadline is Monday 4PM. I would like to see a deal get done by then, but don't expect one.

Both sides share some responsibility in this mess. First, the team has mishandled the whole thing. They could have gotten a deal done a long time ago if really wanted to. I just don't have a lot of confidence in our FO.

Cousins and his agent share some blame as well. This morning was thinking Cousins is set to make $24 million this year. Say 50% gets used for taxes. This means he still clears an average of $1 million a month. At some point you have to say I will be paid well, but not so much it hurts the team to build around me.

The time is coming where the bubble will burst. Players salaries will cause fans to stop attending. The cost will be too high. The NFL needs to look at what happened to NASCAR. They were growing in popularity and now you see lots of empty seats. Some of their problems was the economy in general, but it shows how quickly things can change.

Both sides need to sit down and negotiate fairly. They have to be honest and upfront. Leave the games at the door.

Like Boone, I've been a fan for a very long time. This is starting to wear me down to the point I don't care anymore. It's hard to maintain enthusiasm when we keep getting kicked in the gut from both sides.

What if the real sticking point is that the quarterback and his representatives are trying to reset the leagues sop on contract structures? It's no secret that the players are extremely jealous of the guaranteed contracts of MLB and NBA players. Having been tagged twice and therefore receiving two (and most likely three) fully guaranteed contracts, the quarterback is quite possibly the first in such a unique position to try to do just that. Maybe he sees himself as a potential Curt Flood equivalent for all players. Clearly his representatives would be interested in being a part of that.

The other thing to consider is - was it really going to be 'easy' to sign Kirk 2 years ago? We say that, mediots throw it out there as fact, but I have to question whether that is anything close to a fact? Kirk has no doubt gotten a huge offer already. If he's not willing to accept the kind of offers he has almost certainly received over the past 6 months, why are we so quick to assume we wouldn't have had this exact same situation 2 years ago?

I think it's a legitimate question.

Well, he now has nearly a gross 44m in his pocket that he didn't have two years ago (plus the very real possibility of an additional 28.7m or 34.5m next season depending on tag usage). I don't know what guaranteed money would have been offered two years ago but it probably wouldn't have matched what he has realized. The quarterback has played a high-stakes game of Risk and won.

So after a season and a half, in which he rewrote the team record book and led them to a division title, coming at Cousins with a dirt floor offer wasn't jerking him around?

What if Kirk is the one jerking the team around ?
What if he's putting all his faith in his agent, as he said himself ? How much of the Redskins' team's best interest, do they have in mind ? Pretty much zero.
Their first priority is to make themselves a ****load of money, overall, from all their clients. Their 2nd priority is to make their individual client a lot of money. And the team's best interest probably isn't even a distant third. It may be non-existent.
Somewhere along the line, since his agent isn't doing it, Kirk is going to have to consider the team's best interest. It seems to always be all about Kirk.
"You Like That, You Like That !!!"
and
"How do ya like me now, How do ya like me now" certainly suggests that he leans too much on his own best interest, than the team's. How many players do you see doing that ? Did you see Derek Carr doing that before his payday ? No. He's a team guy.

I don't know where the lions share of the blame lies because I have no idea of the details of what has been offered and turned down. But, my leanings don't align with the vast majority of fans and media who lay it all at the teams feet.

The quarterback and his representatives are following the golden rule of negotiations that I learned from my mentor when I was a pup-

Say no until your tongue bleeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.