• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

The quarterback and his representatives are following the golden rule of negotiations that I learned from my mentor when I was a pup-

Say no until your tongue bleeds.

Football is different than negotiating in the business world. It's a team sport. What you do or don't do, has ramifications on a team full of mates, that depend on you.
And like I said, people like Derek Carr didn't carry your approach to the nth degree.

This comes from Bucky Brooks. I don't agree with him on many things, but this is one occasion where I support this view 100%. I am ready to move on after this season and draft a good QB next spring.

redskinskirk.jpg

Football is different than negotiating in the business world. It's a team sport. What you do or don't do, has ramifications on a team full of mates, that depend on you.
And like I said, people like Derek Carr didn't carry your approach to the nth degree.

So, business is not a team sport? Businesses don't factor in payroll percentages to total revenues when making salary considerations. News to me. Every business I've ever been involved in, including my own that I have run for over 28 years does.

Additionally, Carr had nowhere near the leverage this quarterback has. Without LTD extension he was due to make 1.684m this season.

Last edited:
So, business is not a team sport?

To a degree it is, but not nearly the same degree.

Businesses don't factor in payroll percentages to total revenues when making salary considerations. News to me. Every business I've ever been involved in, including my own that I have run for over 28 years does.

You're looking at it strictly from the business ownership perspective. I'm talking about the player perspective.
If an individual is negotiating a salary with his employer, do his co-workers have to suffer through drama, etc., if the individual is pro-longing the negotiations, with insane demands ?

What if Kirk is the one jerking the team around ?
What if he's putting all his faith in his agent, as he said himself ? How much of the Redskins' team's best interest, do they have in mind ? Pretty much zero.
Their first priority is to make themselves a ****load of money, overall, from all their clients. Their 2nd priority is to make their individual client a lot of money. And the team's best interest probably isn't even a distant third. It may be non-existent.
Somewhere along the line, since his agent isn't doing it, Kirk is going to have to consider the team's best interest. It seems to always be all about Kirk.
"You Like That, You Like That !!!"
and
"How do ya like me now, How do ya like me now" certainly suggests that he leans too much on his own best interest, than the team's. How many players do you see doing that ? Did you see Derek Carr doing that before his payday ? No. He's a team guy.

If Kirk wasn't a team guy, the Redskins should have known that before franchising him again. Its been two full seasons. There is no excuse for continuing to remain in contract limbo like this. None.

I am SO sick of blaming players for years and years of bad decision-making by this front office. Excuses may make us feel better from season to season, but over the decades have won us exactly zero Lombardis. Hell, I would take just a final four appearance at this point. I might even settle for top eight.

Franchising a guy once is a defensive maneuver. A second time is indecision, plain and simple. And bad managment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very rarely. In the event that his worth to the organization is high and he has confidence that his talent will be rewarded by a competitor, then all bets are off. His current employer is forced to determine at what price he/she is no longer worth it. It seems the team has done so. Absent any real numbers to confirm that is the wildcard. Is the team being cheap? Is the player being greedy? Who knows? I sure don't.

Was Joe Theismann a difference maker or a solid Qb in a good system?

Williams? Rypien?

If what Brooks is saying is true, then what in the hell is Aaron Rodgers' problem? Green Bay should be a lock to represent the NFC in the SuperBowl, every year.

Brooks is just talking out of his ass....

If Aaron had this offensive line and these receivers (and last year's receivers), then he would rock and roll. Same for other elite QBs.

Kirk needs to have every piece of the puzzle in place and some good old fashioned luck. We can find a QB in the draft next year that Jay wants.

If I'm understanding it correctly, the best option for the team would be to put the non-exclusive tag on Kirk next offseason @ $34M. Whoever signs him (9's or rams) would give us two 1st rounders when we refuse.

That way we can target/draft a qb this April that fits Jay's liking. That or trade him to a needy team for at least a 1st, giving us 2 to continue building properly. For the record I don't see us needing to trade away picks to move up. We found KC in the 4th & solid scouring will get us a future star in the early rounds.

I'm at peace seeing an end to the Kirk tenure next offseason. Question is what's the best compensation the team can get moving forward? Need to focus on the team and not just the qb position imho.

If Aaron had this offensive line and these receivers (and last year's receivers), then he would rock and roll. Same for other elite QBs.

Kirk needs to have every piece of the puzzle in place and some good old fashioned luck. We can find a QB in the draft next year that Jay wants.

I think the facts argue otherwise. Kirk HAS rocked it by most reasonable standards. Would Aaron Rodgers do better? Ummm...yeah...he's Aaron Rodgers, arguably a top 5 of all time NFL QB. Cousins has never been 'surrounded by supreme talent' - that's simply not the case. He's had a decent OL (only recently), a hodgepodge of marginally talented RBs, and above average (not elite) wide receivers. He may be throwing to the best TE in football right now - that's about all I would be willing to characterize as 'supreme'. He's won with average to above average talent. I think one might be able to argue that with 'supreme talent' he could move into the top tier of NFL QBs.

Arguing Jay can find a QB in the draft is fine. But finding one, and finding one who can actually manage the position as an NFL starter - we know those are two completely different things. We may have to attempt it (again) but that doesn't make it our best option, or even an attractive one.

Do you all really think Jay Gruden is going to start over with a brand new QB in Year Five of his tenure here? How long are we going to give him to develop this new kid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get used to it. The Cousin Kirk era ends in early 2018.

And that will be Bruce Allen's legacy. That he was the one responsible for letting a homegrown Pro Bowl Qb entering his prime, get out the door.

A fire able offense for any GM.

Last edited:
In a broader context, yes. However, my focus is on the op and its original message.

If by some miraculous moment happens in this negotiation, it will start tomorrow and culminate by early afternoon on Monday. Start following it tomorrow if you so desire.

If by some miraculous moment happens in this negotiation, it will start tomorrow and culminate by early afternoon on Monday.

Maybe it won't take a miracle. Maybe it's all by design. Maybe one side is waiting to see if the other side will blink at the last minute, and if they do blink, then the last offer proposed will be resorted to, by default.

Or then again, maybe both sides are content and un-worried about the idea of going yet another year on the Tag.

Last edited:
This is the best article I've seen so far.
Someone finally discusses what's actually fair in terms of real numbers, relevant facts, and their context.
Cuts through everything, and straight to the meat of the matter.

"Need to Know: What would a fair Redskins contract offer to Kirk Cousins look like ?"

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washi...air-redskins-contract-offer-kirk-cousins-look

$26 million AAV—This would make Cousins the highest-paid player in NFL history. Nobody would argue that he is anywhere near the best player in the NFL (his No. 70 rank in the NFL Top 100 is in the ballpark). This may or may not get a deal done but if the offer had something like $50 million fully guaranteed at signing it would be a very fair offer, perhaps even generous.

$24 million AAV—A contract such as this would make Cousins the fourth highest paid quarterback. In a few years, he might get pushed out of the very top tier but he still would be in or near the top 10 in terms of AAV for most of the life of the contract. This would be a little low and it wouldn’t recognize the leverage that he has but it still would be a fair offer.

$23 million AAV—This is hometown discount territory. Along with this the Redskins would have to guarantee a disproportionate chunk of the deal at signing (perhaps as much as $60 million). Along with this offer, there would have to be a hard sell on the advantages of Cousins staying in Washington with the system that has made him successful. At this level. we would be looking at a fair offer by the Redskins that Cousins could reasonably turn down. He still would be the No. 4 in QB pay but Cousins’ camp could very easily make the case that they have the leverage to get more.

$22 million AAV—Now we are getting into the range where the offer is at least borderline unfair. Sure, Aaron Rodgers’ deal has a $22 million AAV but the cap was $43 million lower when he signed that deal in 2013. He will almost certainly get a substantial raise in a year or two. This might be OK as a starting point if they are willing to give some ground but as a final offer it would not reflect Cousins’ market value unless it has some crazy provision like being fully guaranteed.

$20 million AAV—This is the amount of the last offer that has been reported, which came around the time of the NFL Combine in late February. This is too low even as a starting point and it would not be a fair offer. Cousins would be the 14th-highest paid quarterback and subsequent contracts for Matthew Stafford, Marcus Mariota, and Jameis Winston and others would push him out of the top 20 by the time the contract was half over.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.