• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

I won't spend another minute *wishing* Cousins displays some loyalty and signs long term. I'll root for my Redskins this year but I'm not rooting for him. And if he blows out his ACL this season, 'Next!'....

And if he blows out his ACL this season, 'Next!'....

That's a risky move, I guess Kirk is willing to take. He could get I'm guessing 50 Million or more in guaranteed money.
Or he takes the chance on a freak injury, or could just totally shit the bed this year with his performance.
And he will of course be much worse off, than if he accepted what is probably a generous offer from the Skins.

Last edited:
For teams sake Bruce or whoever needs to make the final offer generous and slightly above fair. If for anything future potential free agents who sign with the skins. It's all we can do at this point since Kirk in no way wants to end his career in maroon.

BTW IF the team offers him a deal next offseason they need to leak it out & show that is was fair. That way we're not the complete bad guy in the situation that will probably be portrayed.

If Suds is a gamer we move on, if not we draft 2 qbs and NOT screw the player management up again.

Come on Fear - you really think Nate Sudfield is the answer? He's Heath Shuler, only drafted 6 rounds later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember August of 2001 when everything would be fine once Todd Husak got healthy?

Not signing Cousins to a long term deal would be bad enough. Pinning our hopes on a sixth rounder who hasn't taken a snap would be sheer lunacy.

If Cousins is gone you have to draft a QB. Have to.

I also remember when everyone wanted to cut ties with Cousins when he was a Turnover Machine a few years ago.
What if we heeded that urge ?

Actually, no - I don't remember that. I liked Cousins from the outset - wrote a blog entry about it in fact. I think Cousins has had pretty broad support save a bad game here or there...

Remember August of 2001 when everything would be fine once Todd Husak got healthy?

Not signing Cousins to a long term deal would be bad enough. Pinning our hopes on a sixth rounder who hasn't taken a snap would be sheer lunacy.

Actually - I think you have to assume he's gone now and draft a QB. Problem is, we'll be doing so in a crap shoot because we'll be a 9-10 win team this year and won't have a top draft pick.

I also remember when everyone wanted to cut ties with Cousins when he was a Turnover Machine a few years ago.
What if we heeded that urge ?

Cousins is an exception to the rule. We basically hit the lottery with Cousins.

Your plan shouldn't be 'we'll hit the lottery.'

Besides, if we'd heeded that urge we'd most likely not be staring square one in the face a year from now.

You speak as if the draft was tomorrow, when talking about Suds # of snaps. Between now and the time we draft next year, we don't know how many snaps Suds will have taken. There's a whole entire season to happen, that could change the Suds landscape.

The Redskins are just not meant to ever have a franchise QB.

No matter how much we wish for the day we have a guy that's a 10 yr starter, that day will never come.

30+ years and it's the same thing over and over.

This franchise is snake bitten at the Qb position. Bruce Allen and his staff royally screwed this up and he should be shown the door.

We won 3 Super Bowls without a franchise QB. And lost 2 more. We'll be aight.

I'm still hoping if McGreedy doesn't sign a LTD by 4pm tomorrow, we trade him to the first team offering a soda and a bag of peanuts.
His presence, and the presence of a deal that couldn't get done has more potential to ruin the upcoming season than anything else.

You speak as if the draft was tomorrow, when talking about Suds # of snaps. Between now and the time we draft next year, we don't know how many snaps Suds will have taken. There's a whole entire season to happen, that could change the Suds landscape.

Soooo .... we're hoping Cousins sucks so bad he gets pulled, or he gets significantly hurt, so that we can see if our sixth round pick magically plays like a first rounder?

Forgive me, I'm not thrilled with that plan. [emoji846]

We won 3 Super Bowls without a franchise QB. And lost 2 more. We'll be aight.

I'm still hoping if McGreedy doesn't sign a LTD by 4pm tomorrow, we trade him to the first team offering a soda and a bag of peanuts.
His presence, and the presence of a deal that couldn't get done has more potential to ruin the upcoming season than anything else.

Have always believed that HOF coach Joe Gibbs could've had at least 4 if not 5 trophies with stability at QB.

Gibbs was so great, he overcame something like that, that would've got most coaches fired.

Don't see that level of greatness in Gruden.

Have always believed that HOF coach Joe Gibbs could've had at least 4 if not 5 trophies with stability at QB.

Gibbs was so great, he overcame something like that, that would've got most coaches fired.

Don't see that level of greatness in Gruden.
Totally agree. Having a franchise QB would be nice. I only point out that it's not a requirement. Obviously, we need a more talented team to pull it off.

And, since Gibbs 1st retirement, the coaching/system turnstile has hurt us far worse than not having a franchise QB. IMHO

Gruden is far from perfect. But he's not the worst coach we've had since Gibbs. If we can get the defense stabilized, and start to steadily improve, we'll be fine.

I think his market value is pretty much established, at least as a reasonable starting point. Something in the neighborhood of 5 years/$125M/$80M guaranteed/$50M fully guaranteed. Whether one believes that's his value is another story but that's pretty much a valid starting point. You should basically be talking loose change moving those numbers up or down in today's market to strike a deal. With the two tags, Washington is willing to pay $45M, fully guaranteed, over 2 years. Over 5 years that average comes to $112.5M fully guaranteed and nobody gets that fully guaranteed in a LTD. But you move the salary up and lower the guarantees for more years on the contract.

Other QB's with a better pedigree aren't making as much now but they were fairly compensated at the time they signed their contracts - that's what the market was at the time. They'll do better on their next go around because the market is always moving up. There's still time with Kirk (less than 24 hours at the moment) but waiting till the last second doesn't guarantee success. I remember something with the Broncos and a player (don't recall who) and the agent waited that long. Then Murphy stuck - the fax didn't work. Stupid stuff happens.

Well, how many players have taken a 2 year tag AND signed a LTD with the same team before the third year with the same team that tagged them twice? I really don't know but it can't be too many. Cripes, not too many guys have even been tagged two years in a row. For better or worse, unless something gets worked out Monday, this is the probably the last year with Kirk.

For whatever reason.

A franchise QB wasnt a requirement in the 80s maybe. These days teams that win without one are the exception, not the rule. Again, your strategy shouldnt be to bank on being the exception.

Especially if your team cant run the ball consistently or field a remotely competative defense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.