• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I'd Fire Shanahan Right Now

At times, Kyle has been good. Not the past three games!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

rak ,neild , carriker , really make a defrence ,,other than them whats that change on defense for us to be sooooooo BAD !

i mean 2 starters make u go from ,what was it 15 in defense to last ..alot of defenses are missing key players and they dont look this bad ! what they need is heart !

i mean 2 starters make u go from ,what was it 15 in defense to last ..alot of defenses are missing key players and they dont look this bad ! what they need is heart !

Deangelo Hall and Josh Wilson are also a year older..

Last edited:
Hall is 30 and Wilson is 26.

There are guys older than these that can still run and cover in this league.

Hall was never a standout cover man. He always has had a big mouth and an ego to match.

Wilson, meanwhile, is challenged at 5'9 and 190 to keep up with the 6'2 and 6'3 receivers other teams are running out there each week.

Remember when Darrell Green and Martin Mayhew were 5'9 corners starting for Washington in 1991?

That was 20 years ago when the Art Monks and Michael Irvins at 6'3 and 215 were the exception, not the rule.

Now guys this size are the rule.

Notice in Seattle their defense keys on TWO cover corner who are 6'1 and 6'2.

These guys can run and they can contest balls down the field.

THAT is the model of what NFL teams need to go towards in the future on defense.

The Redskins are undersized across the board at many spots, not only cornerback.

Our Nose Tackle, Barry Cofield, at 300-305 is one of the smaller tackles in a 3-4.

On offense our center and left guard are undersized. Our tight ends after Davis, Cooley at 235 and Paul at 230 are also small.

At wide receiver we have some size and physical upside with Garcon obviously and to a lesser extent Hankerson, but we also have the 5'9 Moss, 5'10 Robinson and the 5'6 Brandon Banks out there at times.

I have always favored a power lineup with guys that are bigger and stronger than the competition.

Perhaps it's just what I grew up with in the 1980's with the Redskins and the NFC East.

But I look at the Giants and they have good size at many of these positions. The 49ers as well have good size and strength on both lines and at LB and WR.

Some folks said Gibbs came back too late, that the game had passed him by. But I never believed that, until he called the back to back time outs in the Chicago game. We came back to the playoffs after that loss, I believe, but at that time I knew Gibbs had lost a step.

Fast Forward, Shanahan is still living off his skins on the wall. Now I see he has lost a step, I don't think his old school motivational coach-speak resonates with this team. I see Griffen bought in, as Griffen knows, rightly so, that Shanny offers him alot of NFL football knowledge, and Griffen will pick his brain. Nevertheless, Shanny's game may not have kept up with the times. You just can't tell players to put up or shut up and expect that alone to raise their level of play. When I saw that last week I knew he ain't doin no motivatin. And he can't fire his son, but son needs to go. That 4th down play goal to go at the 4 and we stack the WR's to the right, then expect Griffen to run that way????? hello mcfly, those receivers also brought with them 4 db's so that play was doomed from the start. Kyle idiot play call virtually insured that he took away from Griffen the one advantage he has in his running game, that is room to run. Kyle got to go.

Question for all you football knowlegeable fans, when Shanahan was fired at Denver, what was the overriding cause? As I reclass it had something to do with his personnel decisions on defense, is that right? And what was Shanny's record there the last three years? how bad did it have to get before he got the axe?

Mike Shanahan should have realized that hiring Kyle despite Kyle's wanting to come here would end up being seen as nepotism and ultimately harming Kyle's career.

He was fine down in Houston with Kubiak and now would be the OC for a team that is at the top of the standings.

We needed an OC that could stand on his own merits HERE and be independent enough of Shanahan where the HC could evaluate his performance and not have everyone say 'well, whatever happens we know the OC won't be held accountable'.

Again, a real GM would not have allowed this type of conflict of interest.

Guys bring in their sons to be quality control assistants and 'interns' but they don't bring them in to be the OC or DC.

It's just bad for business.

I absolutely agree that we're greatly undersized at NUMEROUS positions.

Hall's ability was based on his recovery speed. He could bait a QB by playing a trail technique and he could make up the ground while the ball was in the air... he's lost that step. Wilson has shown me flashes. Early on he looked like he really wanted to take on that no. 1 position, but has recently looked completely confused and lost out there...

The Zone blocking scheme is based on the smaller, more athletic linemen, but when you need the long, grinding drives to chew up clock, and then pound it into the endzone, they leave a lot to be desired....

I'm a little worried about our size at WR. Hankerson and Briscoe were supposed to be that big bodied, redzone threat, and neither one have stepped up to be THE GUY. Hankerson has flashed, but he's also looked outright... weak for lack of a better term.

the biggest problem for the OL is being overpowered vs. the pass.

Shanahan's line in Denver was quick off the ball, but adept at pass protection.

The idea critics have of simply having Griffin stay in the pocket and throw the ball to avoid injury don't know what they are talking about.

Griffin took some solid shots on Sunday from the Panthers when he stayed in the pocket.

The Redskins are especially vulnerable in the OG-OC-OG triangle where Lichtensteiger, Montgomery and Chester operate.

the biggest problem for the OL is being overpowered vs. the pass.

Shanahan's line in Denver was quick off the ball, but adept at pass protection.

The idea critics have of simply having Griffin stay in the pocket and throw the ball to avoid injury don't know what they are talking about.

Griffin took some solid shots on Sunday from the Panthers when he stayed in the pocket.

The Redskins are especially vulnerable in the OG-OC-OG triangle where Lichtensteiger, Montgomery and Chester operate.

Agree 100%, especially regarding the keeping Griffin in the pocket. It's not going to be good for his development, or the sake of the team because he's going to get killed. We are good at running the ball but Kyle decides to ignore it in the second half. If we could CONTINUE to run the ball it's going to open that pocket up quite a bit... but just dropping him back and hoping the O-Line can hold their own wont happen.. you gotta scheme around it to make that happen with this squad.

Jay Glazer five minutes ago: "Dan Snyder not happy with Shanahan's comments."

That seat is getting hot. He had really better come out and perform the rest of this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.