• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I'd Fire Shanahan Right Now

Prediction:

Coach Shanahan will be here for the duration of his contract - and maybe beyond. Snyder has no other choice and he knows it.

Prediction:

Coach Shanahan will be here for the duration of his contract - and maybe beyond. Snyder has no other choice and he knows it.

I disagree BB. Now he's losing the locker room. RG3 is 10x more important than Shanahan.....and you can't have that kind of nonsense going on around RG3.

I think he killed himself with his words today. Barring a serious winning streak, he won't be here next year.

NO you don't fire him right now,what you do is start talking to young, up and coming coordinators, if shanny has given up, hes a lame duck anyway. so you find some guys who will do what you want.

what do we want?

we want someone who will scheme around what RG3 does well and who has a clear vision for his offence.

we want someone who will run the defence that best suits who we have NOW and who can build a defence using what we have as a core and then improve it, not some retard who wants to blow up his roster every season.

I have said all along that giving Shanny this much power was a mistake and all he has done is prove me right. His Hubris with the defence, his blatant disregard for team objectives and his outright stubborn stupidity in dealing with players, means that very few people will hold it against Us if we get rid of him.

Yeah, we could go and get another shiny toy for a coach and be right back where we are now in two or three years. Bottom line, that is not a good move.

We are not here because of poor coaching. We are here because of the NFL's decision to take away a huge chunk of cap space just hours before the free agency period began. What coaching staff could prepare for that kind of injustice? We had to get several players who came at bargain prices and hope they would become mega-stars. Well surprise - it did not happen.

The season began on a positive note. However, our number one receiver had an injury in the first quarter of the first game and he has been all but non-existent ever since. Our starting right tackle, or what's left of him, is another injury stat. We've lost a key running back. The starting TE - gone for the season. Two promising defensive backs are on IR. Two defensive studs will not see the field until next year. A key defensive tackle was lost prior to the season. The starting SS can't get on the field. Another safety got himself suspended.

Combine these injuries and problems with the cap injustice and it is easy to see that we had little to no depth to deal with these issues. Next year will be a challenge too - the cap situation continues and any opportunity to bring prized FAs to DC will not exist. Another coach will simply face the same problems and ditching our current coach will do nothing to help.

I disagree, we are here because of talent aquisition and part of that is because we wasted resources blowing up a defence that would have resulted in us winning the division this year. instead we wasted resources revamping it and yet it still needs a complete overhaul in the secondary. thats coaching my friend.

"We are not here because of poor coaching. We are here because of the NFL's decision to take away a huge chunk of cap space just hours before the free agency period began."

BB, that has nothing to do with picking coaches like Haslett, Slowik, Raheem and Danny Smith to your staff. Nothing at all. That's just straight up, bad decision making.

There are many reasons why we are where we are right now. Shanahan is a large one.

Last edited:
how does slowik even have a job? our linebackers have regressed.

Ready to get sick?

Kerrigan had exactly 0 solo tackles today, and one assist.

So, it seemed to me like he must be getting double teamed a lot this season. With Orakpo out, surely teams are doubling Kerrigan.

Not true. John Keim wrote a piece today breaking down just how rarely teams are doubling him. He simply isn't winning one-on-one battles.

tha rams are going to get a good draft pick !..just sayin

we atleast need to be 1 game better than last year !

Ready to get sick?

So, it seemed to me like he must be getting double teamed a lot this season. With Orakpo out, surely teams are doubling Kerrigan.

Not true. John Keim wrote a piece today breaking down just how rarely teams are doubling him. He simply isn't winning one-on-one battles.

Thats absolutely ridiculous, I know teams are sliding protections and chipping him more, but he needs to win one on one battles, I have noticed that he often seems lost out there, like he is playing more hesitantly.

Yeah, we could go and get another shiny toy for a coach and be right back where we are now in two or three years. Bottom line, that is not a good move.

We are not here because of poor coaching. We are here because of the NFL's decision to take away a huge chunk of cap space just hours before the free agency period began. What coaching staff could prepare for that kind of injustice? We had to get several players who came at bargain prices and hope they would become mega-stars. Well surprise - it did not happen.

The season began on a positive note. However, our number one receiver had an injury in the first quarter of the first game and he has been all but non-existent ever since. Our starting right tackle, or what's left of him, is another injury stat. We've lost a key running back. The starting TE - gone for the season. Two promising defensive backs are on IR. Two defensive studs will not see the field until next year. A key defensive tackle was lost prior to the season. The starting SS can't get on the field. Another safety got himself suspended.

Combine these injuries and problems with the cap injustice and it is easy to see that we had little to no depth to deal with these issues. Next year will be a challenge too - the cap situation continues and any opportunity to bring prized FAs to DC will not exist. Another coach will simply face the same problems and ditching our current coach will do nothing to help.
Sounds eerily similar to, it's Bush's fault.

Sorry. Not a legit excuse for either. Shamahan is responsible for the roster, and it's inability to produce. How was the final play any better than The Swinging Gate?

Count me as one thinks we are, circumstantially stuck, with this regime for the rest of this year, and all of next. And, it's down right depressing.

Sorry. Not a legit excuse for either. Shamahan is responsible for the roster, and it's inability to produce.

Agreed. We are playing with substantially the same roster as last year, especially on defense. The drop we've had in play on the field is not entirely about the cap hit. Yes, given that hit we should not have been expected to improve and upgrade much, but we shouldn't have expected the wheels to come off either.

Last year's starting safeties for much of the season were Reed and someone (Gomes at the end). This year, it's Reed and someone. Landry was a nonfactor last year. Orakpo's loss is big, but Carricker is supposed to be a cog. After all, we let him linger quite a long time in free agency and no one wanted him, right? No one scooped him up. All the other GMs watched game tape, all the other defensive line coaches studied him.

The reason our D is as bad as it is, I believe, is more than 50% about the coaching/sheming. Haslett can not win a chess match against anyone. Not a 1-5 team with the wheels coming off and not a good team.

Example, throughout the season, we had been pretty good at stopping the run and terrible through the air. Against Carolina, we come up against a running team that has been having trouble passing and so what do we do? We play pass all game and give up our worst ground game of the year. We allowed the Panthers to play to their strengths. Why?

Ready to get sick?

The problem isn't so much that Kerrigan isn't winning his individual matchups. In watching the games, he seems to win them quite often. The problem is a total lack of pressure from elsewhere.

A right hand quarterback sets up in the pocket and he can easily see everything to right. Kerrigan, playing on the left side of the defense, is easy to be seen as he's in the quarterback's field of vision. Last year, that didn't matter. Why? Because Orakpo totally collapsed the pocket from the other side. A quarterback would have to evade pressure from that side and step up to our waiting ends or noses or try to escape from the other side right in to the arms of Kerrigan.

Kerrigan, believe it or not, isn't the issue. The issue is the lack of pressure from anywhere else.

KDawg, as I was looking through my images from yesterday's game, I was thinking about this. Kerrigan is getting up field and when he applies pressure, the QB's are simply taking a step forward into the pocket. They are stepping into a big pocket or they have the entire field between where Kerrigan was and the DE is supposed to be. Of course it would be nice to have an ILB there to make the play, but they're being asked to drop back in coverage. When we're successful, that hole is filled with an ILB or SS. But...

Anyway, I was thinking about if we rush Kerrigan from the blind side?

KDawg, as I was looking through my images from yesterday's game, I was thinking about this. Kerrigan is getting up field and when he applies pressure, the QB's are simply taking a step forward into the pocket. They are stepping into a big pocket or they have the entire field between where Kerrigan was and the DE is supposed to be. Of course it would be nice to have an ILB there to make the play, but they're being asked to drop back in coverage. When we're successful, that hole is filled with an ILB or SS. But...

WHAT?!?!? Scheming to our players' strengths? INSANE!

This is one of the absolute biggest issues I have with Haslett. He doesn't use his personnel effectively. Either they see something in practice that we don't have access to, or he purposely likes to keep things predictable. Kerrigan should be playing on either side. Move him around. At the very least, it gives the offense something else to identify and read pre-snap. Heck, if Rak was healthy I'd advocate switching them from time to time just to keep offenses on their toes.

DeAngelo Hall should be used in more of a Woodson role. Although he's no Charles Woodson, he is dynamic. He can be okay in coverage, he doesn't mind sticking his nose in there, and he's quick and agile. He could blitz, cover or play run. Allow him to move and make plays.

We're entirely too predictable defensively, not just in situational play calling, but in personnel. Change it up a bit.

Funny how, before the season, everyone said Indy, with Manning leaving, would not have any talent, that the players left were old etc etc.

Yet somehow, they're winning.

Hmmmm

Funny how, before the season, everyone said Indy, with Manning leaving, would not have any talent, that the players left were old etc etc.

Yet somehow, they're winning.

Hmmmm

There's a combination of factors involved there. First and foremost: Coaching. Chuck Pagano and Bruce Arians have done an excellent job with their offensive and defensive schemes. The Colts 3-4, although not great, doesn't look like swiss cheese when watching them play, either. They certainly aren't where you want a defense to be but having a competent coach goes a long way.

Andrew Luck has been put in position to succeed. The Colts receiving corps is underrated currently as well. Reggie Wayne, Donnie Avery and TY Hilton are all getting the job done quite well.

That organization is doing a great job.

(For the record, I'm not undervaluing Luck's impact. Luck is a total stud. At this point he's the AFC Rookie of the Year and could very well be the NFL Rookie of the Year, even over Griff. That's not to say I don't love Griff and value him, but I think team performance is hurting Griff in that regard. These two could be good for a very long time.)

Thank you, KDawg. I've been saying this since Rak went down; his pressure is imperative to Kerrigan's success (a currently schemes, anyway).
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The Colts are also playing on a lot of emotion due to Pagano's illness. Don't underestimate that side of motivation.

Remember the 1991 Lions? Mike Utley had been paralyzed and the team dedicated that season to him.

What I thought was a 7-9 or 8-8 team ended up winning 11 games and reaching the NFC title game.

As far as the Redskins go, there seems to have beena collective letdown since the Cruz touchdown at the end of the Giants game.

This team has simply not been the same since.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.