• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I should be the gm lol (common sense not so common)

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
I think the reason most of us are so upset is that we have the right building blocks here for a franchise. there is no excuse to be this bad.

we have an owner with a pantload of money AND a willingness to spend it, he just doesnt seem to spend it right. he spends it unwisely and doesnt improve the team.

here is the simple blueprint on why we should have the best team and how.

1- spend money on things that are not capped. this means over pay scouts, base it on productivitiy. your entire player personelle department should be highly paid and consist of the best people in the entire world, because you should be willing to pay them above market value. this would ensure the best possible scouts and evaluators. hire consultants, look at trends etc SPEND THE MONEY.

2- your medical staff, strength and conditioning staff, equipment staff all should be highly paid and over qualified, because every advantage you can get you should take, and you are willing to spend the money anyway so.... SPEND THE MONEY

3- your facilities, weight room, practice field, training table, bonuses, perks and things of that nature should all be topnotch, because those things draw free agents, and contrary to what people think, Players talk. no excuse for this team to not have the absolute best of everything, so spend the money.

GM you should have a gm who understands the cap but also who understands TALENT. if you need to split the two make sure they can work together. but the GM should have the final say on building the team, and hiring the coach. CHAIN OF COMMAND IS KEY.

Coaching staff- you need young hungry guys who want to build a legacy and who will work around the clock to do it. pay them, and give them autonomy. have a head coach who is an overseer and let the O guys look after the O and the D guys look after the D, that way if someone is not doing their job, you get rid of them because its not your kid lol. the primary attribute is to be able to adjust, they should have a scheme of their own but be able to adjust to their players and fit scheme to player not player to scheme.

culture and attitude- this is easier said than done but you forster a culture of goals and achievements, use bonuses, and be willing to adjust them. always be positive as the leaders, guys will take that tone and run with it. ITS OK FOR GUYS TO KNOW THEY ARE GONNA GET PAID, AS LONG AS THEY KNOW THEY GOTTA PUT OUT OR GET OUT.

accountability, you have got to make sure that everyone is accountable. and that starts at the top.

I dont think there is anything that I wrote that is suprising to any of us, but I dont know why the hell we havent done it.

It would be nice to see contract incentives payed out on team accomplishments instead of individual. Like bonuses given out if we're a top 5 D or if we're NOT the worst special teams in history kind of thing.

In reality, we don't know how good, or bad, our scouting department is. If the guys pulling the trigger don't follow their recommendations, how is it their fault.

We just don't know.

There's tons of up and coming talent in the NFL.

Unfortunately, our owner's reputation would scare off any aspiring talent.

Snyder is a career killer.

Money talks for a lot of players...

I'm not going to say there aren't many 'taking shots' at Snyder, because sure, there's some of that in play. But Mike - Snyder cannot avoid ownership of where we are. He's the OWNER. He's had going on 15 years to create a stable consistent organization and team and has utterly failed in that regard. It's just a fact. He's not a very nice human being, treats anyone who isn't actively contributing to his wealth and success as an enemy, and for lack of a better way to describe it, karma is a bitch. Doesn't mean he doesn't want the Redskins to win and isn't (at some level) trying, but he clearly doesn't know how to put a winning organization together or how to create a winning culture.

I have no sympathy for him and the last thing I'm worried about is that poor Dan Snyder is being unjustly held responsible for where we are. He IS responsible and he can't escape that. I don't root for Dan Snyder. I root for the Redskins. And from a fan perspective, Dan Snyder is the worst thing to happen to my team in their history.

I'm not going to say there aren't many 'taking shots' at Snyder, because sure, there's some of that in play. But Mike - Snyder cannot avoid ownership of where we are. He's the OWNER. He's had going on 15 years to create a stable consistent organization and team and has utterly failed in that regard. It's just a fact. He's not a very nice human being, treats anyone who isn't actively contributing to his wealth and success as an enemy, and for lack of a better way to describe it, karma is a bitch. Doesn't mean he doesn't want the Redskins to win and isn't (at some level) trying, but he clearly doesn't know how to put a winning organization together or how to create a winning culture.

I have no sympathy for him and the last thing I'm worried about is that poor Dan Snyder is being unjustly held responsible for where we are. He IS responsible and he can't escape that. I don't root for Dan Snyder. I root for the Redskins. And from a fan perspective, Dan Snyder is the worst thing to happen to my team in their history.

He fosters a hostile working environment. Its a fact. And not just coaches, I'm talking front office. People are literally SCARED of him. This is not hyperbole either.

Marty came to the Chargers and gave them a 14-2 record...that doesn't scream killer to me
Norv sucked but he had success as an OC which is where he should have always stayed
Spurrier should have never been in the NFL to begin with
Zorn should have never been a HC anywhere
Shanahan is still here and still a hall of famer
So is Gibbs

I guess you could say he ruined Robieske's career as a head coach. Damn that Snyder!!

You keep wanting to call the players names, the coaches names, the owner names, and now the entire organization names. You have to wonder at some time why you torture yourself with it if it is so dysfunctional and we suck so much, right?

So he gets a pass for Spurrier & Zorn? Zorn could have been a good head coach; by all accounts he was a brilliant (if not eccentric) football mind, who just wasn't ready for the position. Maybe he never would have been, but it was Snyders bass-ackward coaching hunt that thrust him into the position before he was ready. As far as Spurrier is concerned, he was the "shiny new toy" that Snyder HAD to have. He gets 100% of the credit for those two years of disaster. And by some accounts, he was begging Spurrier to stay when he quit. Begging him!

Snyder is the worst owner in sports. Period.

As time goes on more and more people are going to really start questioning if this is the redskins they grew up loving anymore or not. Plenty of people already have.

Zorn had no experience as a head coach...he was like Singletary in SF.

Yes, he does get a pass because they were failures before they got here and he didnt "kill their careers".

Yeah, Snyder is MUCH worse than Davis who used to call down to the field for "the bomb play" at will, traded his HC to a team that beat them the next year in the super bowl, turned Marcus Allen in to a FB when he was an amazing RB. Get out of here with that BS!!

Zorn was a failure before he got the Skins? Spurrier was a failure before he got to the Skins? I'd like to know your definition of "failure," because it might include every person on earth.

Snyder DOES NOT GET A PASS for hiring them, either way. He hired them, he is responsible.

Ugly? Nobody has gotten ugly here, why would you say that? We are having a discussion.

Not to speak for Mike, but I do think we all know that it's not much fun to be a lone voice on one side of an issue when the herd is running against you. Sorry if you are feeling piled on Mike - again, I respect you see it differently.

Zorn was a failure before he got the Skins? Spurrier was a failure before he got to the Skins? I'd like to know your definition of "failure," because it might include every person on earth.

Snyder DOES NOT GET A PASS for hiring them, either way. He hired them, he is responsible.

Zorn's failure at teh skins was entirely Snyder's fault.

He was brought here to be a first time OC. He was going to retain QB coach because he wanted to keep close with what he was doing before.

After being hired Snyder realized no one wanted to work for him, especially if he was going to pick their OC for them.

So Zorn was promoted to de facto HC, and was assigned a defensive coordinator and his staff was assembled for him. Meanwhile he retained OC and QB Coach duties, titles, and responsibilites.

A guy that had only ever been a QB coach was now a HC coach, with a staff that was assembled for him, and OC and QB coach.

He was set up for failure and we'll never know what kind of OC, or eventually a HC, he could have been because of the way he was set up. He had no chance. No one could succeed in that situation. It's a good thing he held on for the money he was owed, because the national embarassment our shitstain of an owner put him through made sure he'll never get a legit shot at OC/HC again.

Add him to the list of potential careers ruined by Snyder.

Add him to the list of potential careers ruined by Snyder.

I agree...Zorn is actually the perfect example of Snyder ruining someone's career - and the only career that Snyder ruined before it even began!

I think the reason most of us are so upset is that we have the right building blocks here for a franchise. there is no excuse to be this bad.

we have an owner with a pantload of money AND a willingness to spend it, he just doesnt seem to spend it right. he spends it unwisely and doesnt improve the team.

That's the problem, he's willing to pay if the correct guidance is given as to where to fund.

1- spend money on things that are not capped. this means over pay scouts, base it on productivitiy. your entire player personelle department should be highly paid and consist of the best people in the entire world, because you should be willing to pay them above market value. this would ensure the best possible scouts and evaluators. hire consultants, look at trends etc SPEND THE MONEY.

Talent evaluators are in place and we don't really know the compensation structure which may already be top notch. The main key is the quality of evaluation regardless of pay scales. "According to sources".. when Shanny came in he evaluated the established group, one picking point was the past recommends by the scouts and how players fared once in the NFL no matter who picked them. The scouting dept collectively had a higher success rate with their picks than the old FO. What level of success our talent guys have compared to the 'elite' groups, who knows?

2- your medical staff, strength and conditioning staff, equipment staff all should be highly paid and over qualified, because every advantage you can get you should take, and you are willing to spend the money anyway so.... SPEND THE MONEY
Andrews is a fairly substantial investment, can't speak to the rest of the groups but again, who do we compare them to and who's to say
they are not already upper echelon.?

3- your facilities, weight room, practice field, training table, bonuses, perks and things of that nature should all be topnotch, because those things draw free agents, and contrary to what people think, Players talk. no excuse for this team to not have the absolute best of everything, so spend the money.

New Richmond training camp facilities, Ashburn upgrades during that camp, FedEx has been worked on, turf, video etc. I guess this qualifies as done or at least a work in progress

GM you should have a gm who understands the cap but also who understands TALENT. if you need to split the two make sure they can work together. but the GM should have the final say on building the team, and hiring the coach. CHAIN OF COMMAND IS KEY.

Ah, the conundrum, my understanding is that Shanny has final say which, believe it or not, might not be so bad as long as he heeds the advice of his talent and financial evaluators and the football plan is viable. Maybe the plan 'sucks' or whatever but what I don't think what he was wholly prepared for was the Redskins 'hype machine' and all of it's trappings..intentional or not it had to have influence. His primary "GM" duties are off season, during season he's into coach mode only (per those 'sources') and let's the GM group do their thing pretty much with autonomy. Don't think any of us truly know Allen's input on all of this, the public rep on the guy has him on the contract/money end of things which ain't in too bad of shape considering all of the crap going down the last few years.
Grade Shanny's regime on where he started and how things are now, a tough one based on this year but for a new regime coming in I think things are in much better shape.

Yeah, a 'true GM' capable of doing it all is on everyone's dream list but he also has to have a sense of how to handle that hype machine.

Coaching staff- you need young hungry guys who want to build a legacy and who will work around the clock to do it. pay them, and give them autonomy. have a head coach who is an overseer and let the O guys look after the O and the D guys look after the D, that way if someone is not doing their job, you get rid of them because its not your kid lol. the primary attribute is to be able to adjust, they should have a scheme of their own but be able to adjust to their players and fit scheme to player not player to scheme.

A competent coaching staff period, don't particularly care how old (but young enough to stick around for a while) that motivates and inspires hard, competitive play regardless of talent and makes them feel the team. Have the ability to be a step ahead of the 'other guys' regardless of scheme. Last half of last season it felt like we almost had it.... dammit, what happened?

culture and attitude- this is easier said than done but you forster a culture of goals and achievements, use bonuses, and be willing to adjust them. always be positive as the leaders, guys will take that tone and run with it. ITS OK FOR GUYS TO KNOW THEY ARE GONNA GET PAID, AS LONG AS THEY KNOW THEY GOTTA PUT OUT OR GET OUT.
Thought we had that going already too, the problem with 'achieve this goal or no pay' is contract vs cap for the players and contract vs budget management for non players. Being predictive when establishing goals, making adjustments and the like for contracting always involves at least two if not three parties to get done and reasonable valuation is often inflated or diminished depending on leverage. Don't forget the 'bounty' problem if you're thinking of in season money adjustments.

accountability, you have got to make sure that everyone is accountable. and that starts at the top.
I see no evidence that anyone in the organization is not accountable. At the top meaning Snyder? Yeah he's accountable to us, so what's our recourse? Shanny and staff are accountable to Snyder, seems to me he's facing that situation right now. Players are accountable to the coaches for playing time and to each other if they're so inclined. Not sure what proves accountability, saying you're wrong, groveling at the feet of the angry mob begging for forgiveness or 'manning up' professing inadequacy and vowing to do better. I think we've witnessed at least two of the three scenarios already.

I dont think there is anything that I wrote that is suprising to any of us, but I dont know why the hell we havent done it.
Agree, except that more has been done than acknowledged, I just don't know why what has been done doesn't seem to help.

Eff Mara :moon:

bottom line , our team sucks, and no its not all on snyder, yes he needs to foot the bill on a lot of it but this past few season was all on shannahan. you gusy wanted shanny and you got him.

as for accountablilty, if we had a gm and a chain of command it is the coaches accounatble to the HC the Hc accountable to the GM and the accountable to DS lol

Mike and I rarely agree , but on this he is right, snyder needs to spend his money more productively but at the end of the day he isnt cheap and he is learning to be less hands on, which for a billionaire (self made pretty much) is a big thing to ask.

Who wanted Shanahan?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All of us, except Ryman. It has to be so Henry. Because if it's not, it kind of undermines his 'I'm Nostradamus' storyline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.