• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Howling for Howell

I thought that first question asked was snarky and rude.

Taylor is a man who understands politics and the necessity of never burning a bridge. Another thing I like about him. Smart man.

I think we all agree he should have played more last year. We just knew it wouldn’t happen until they were officially eliminated.

We were eliminated.????

CC0C2143-FF4E-416F-8621-52FE09508588.jpeg

Imagine if they changed their minds after the draft when they didn't get a QB. It wouldn't shock me, but it would be typical.

With the exception of the reports that we had a deal with the Raiders to move up to #7 if Richardson was still there, I think she is right.

I also think Howell would have been the guy this year regardless because Richardson will need time.

One thing I am absolutely certain about - if Ron Rivera had started Sam Howell against Cleveland the Washington Commanders would have made the playoffs, bumping Seattle out and both Ron and Martin Mayhew would be on far more solid ground with the new owners.

I have zero doubt either.

One thing I am absolutely certain about - if Ron Rivera had started Sam Howell against Cleveland the Washington Commanders would have made the playoffs, bumping Seattle out and both Ron and Martin Mayhew would be on far more solid ground with the new owners.
Pretty sure this would be the case if he had started anyone at QB other than who he actually did start.

The idea that Howell has been their guy all along is completely reactionary.

Rivera wants to go back to his 2021 Draft grades, and claims they were very high on him, even saying someone in the room STILL had a 1st round grade when they took him. Problem is they didn’t take him for 5 rounds. If they truly believed that, then why didn’t they take him in the 2nd, 3rd, or twice in the 4th (we traded back in the 4th so they had 2 chances)

don’t get me wrong, I’m ecstatic that this is where we are, spending almost $0 on our starting QB with Rivera having little to no negative impact on the position, meaning the new owner will have first crack at building his hierarchy without whoever is in charge in 12 months being force fed their QB.

that said… I don’t have anywhere near the amount of faith that Rivera orchestrated this all along. He may have put the organization in the best position for long term health, but I’m betting it was a lucky combination of events…not some level of smarts.

If Howell pans out and becomes the solution at QB, Rivera will have lucked into it the same way Belichick lucked into Brady(No,I'm not saying he will be Brady).

Sometimes,it's better to be lucky than good. And Boy are we over due for some good luck around here......

A more apt comparison is Trent Green.

Norv Turner had the best passer on the team holding for field goals and extra points while he was starting Heath Shuler and Gus Frerotte and it was only after these guys crashed and burned numerous times and the team was god awful to start 1998 did Turner finally get Green on the field and the team won games to end the season.

Green then left in free agency and went on through LA to Kansas City, where he made 4 straight pro bowls.

Norv was the supposed quarterback and offensive guru and he couldn't see in practice and the offseason program that Green was more accurate and a better all around player?

I think the same thing with Ron and Carson Wentz. Wentz was playing so wretchedly that the only reason he didn't get benched was he got hurt in the Bears game and went on IR. The team was 1-5.

But I supposed FAILED experience which is what Wentz largely had in the NFL to them was better than little or no game experience, despite the talent and attitude factors.

I think a lot of those things have to do with coaches proving their decisions were right. Green was cut from the Chargers and a Canadian Football team before signing with the Redskins. Shuler and Frerotte were drafted by the Redskins. Norv and/or Charlie wanted to prove the drafted guys were the right picks. Coaches across the league for many years have been handcuffed by personnel decisions. It’s why Parcells famously made the comment about shopping for the groceries if he was going to have to cook. In some cases, the GM and even owner tell coaches to play the guy they picked. In other cases, it’s the coaches themselves who have gone all in on a guy and want to prove they found the guy. I feel that’s what happened with Wentz. Ron wanted to show everyone his decisions were right. Meanwhile, you have a guy just sitting there waiting to play and you won’t play him because the “season is on the line”. I wish they had gone to Howell earlier, but I knew that wouldn’t happen until they were out. He was afraid to take that chance.

Some coaches are afraid to buck the trend and try new things. Sometimes they work out well, other times they fail spectacularly. But most coaches won’t take that route and will just take the safe route or the route they know with the guys they chose. The irony here is that by taking the “safe” route, it still failed miserably. He could not have had a worse outcome by playing Howell against Cleveland. I still don’t know if Ron sees that though.

Interesting how one QB's 'athleticism' and 'freakish athletic ability' gets hyped while another's is nearly overlooked. Take a look at this...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.