• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Howling for Howell

I rewatched the 2022 season finale last night. First reaction was real irritation that we were able to put together a complete and intense effort against a team like Dallas, but the week before with the playoffs on the line, didn't even show up. We can talk about it being Wentz's fault, but it went way beyond that.

We absolutely drubbed Dallas, even though we were playing our 3rd and 4th string RBs and DBs and didn't have Jon Allen in the game.

Just a few thoughts before I get to Howell. We have got to replace Joey Slye. I actually wanted us to draft a kicker last month but that didn't happen. Missing chip shot FGs and extra points is just unacceptable. A bad game once in awhile happens, but we are well beyond that at this point. I know we are ready to put Kendall Fuller off to pasture but he played out of his mind in that game. Not only did he largely shut down Lamb, but he had the sequence where he barely missed a pick 6, then on the next play, picked it off and took it to the house. I have never seen a sequence like that. Aside from Slye, our ST play in that game was amazing. One of the very few games I can remember where all 3 units shined on the same day.

Now to Howell. I don't want to take anything away from him as he really did impress at times, but I will confess that my assessment 6 months after the game is less glowing than it was right after the game, although I am still very encouraged. Of course he had the one 'can't throw that' INT in the end zone that cost us points. Not only are rookies going to make those kinds of mistakes, EVERY NFL QB makes those kinds of mistakes. He was able to bounce right back. There were 1 or 2 other throws he made that could've been picked. What I loved most about rewatching his performance was:
  • Howell's calm, confidence, and moxie. You can tell that Heinicke has genuine affection for the kid, and that's likely a big part of it.
  • His command of the huddle and offense in general. He did not look or act like a rookie in there.
  • His instincts on when to take off and use his feet were very good and he was responsible for converting a number of 3rd downs with his feet alone.
  • He did not make any impulsive or desperate errant throws to avoid being sacked - when there was nothing there, he took the sack or minimal gain or just threw it away (!) and lived to play the next play. That's something you don't often see in rookies.
  • That arm! The kid not only has power, he threw some balls with pinpoint accuracy - hitting guys in stride often. He was particularly good doing that over the middle and our YAC reflected that.
  • Howell threw a couple of the best deep balls we've seen in years.
It wasn't a perfect performance. I wish Scott Turner had let the kid throw it a little more. We weren't able to do much on the ground against Dallas. I honestly felt like this was the kind of game we could've hung 35 or 40 points on the Cowboys if we'd been a little less convservative. Hell - even if we hit FGs and XPs and Howell doesn't give up the endzone INT we could've done that. I would love for someone to explain to me where that effort was against the Browns - I will never ever understand how we fail to show up for a big game like that? Still not over it.

Final surprising thought? I really don't mind Commanders. Philosophically, I want it changed. I hate the way Jason Wright saddled us with a name very few fans supported. But rewatching that game, I realized I've more or less used to it. And I actually like the W logo more than I ever thought was possible. I don't even 'hate' the uniforms all that much. If as I expect the new owners just decide not to go there again, it's going to be okay.

Last edited:
I rewatched the 2022 season finale last night. First reaction was real irritation that we were able to put together a complete and intense effort against a team like Dallas, but the week before with the playoffs on the line, didn't even show up. We can talk about it being Wentz's fault, but it went way beyond that.

We absolutely drubbed Dallas, even though we were playing our 3rd and 4th string RBs and DBs and didn't have Jon Allen in the game.

Just a few thoughts before I get to Howell. We have got to replace Joey Slye. I actually wanted us to draft a kicker last month but that didn't happen. Missing chip shot FGs and extra points is just unacceptable. A bad game once in awhile happens, but we are well beyond that at this point. I know we are ready to put Kendall Fuller off to pasture but he played out of his mind in that game. Not only did he largely shut down Lamb, but he had the sequence where he barely missed a pick 6, then on the next play, picked it off and took it to the house. I have never seen a sequence like that. Aside from Slye, our ST play in that game was amazing. One of the very few games I can remember where all 3 units shined on the same day.

Now to Howell. I don't want to take anything away from him as he really did impress at times, but I will confess that my assessment 6 months after the game is less glowing than it was right after the game, although I am still very encouraged. Of course he had the one 'can't throw that' INT in the end zone that cost us points. Not only are rookies going to make those kinds of mistakes, EVERY NFL QB makes those kinds of mistakes. He was able to bounce right back. There were 1 or 2 other throws he made that could've been picked. What I loved most about rewatching his performance was:
  • Howell's calm, confidence, and moxie. You can tell that Heinicke has genuine affection for the kid, and that's likely a big part of it.
  • His command of the huddle and offense in general. He did not look or act like a rookie in there.
  • His instincts on when to take off and use his feet were very good and he was responsible for converting a number of 3rd downs with his feet alone.
  • He did not make any impulsive or desperate errant throws to avoid being sacked - when there was nothing there, he took the sack or minimal gain or just threw it away (!) and lived to play the next play. That's something you don't often see in rookies.
  • That arm! The kid not only has power, he threw some balls with pinpoint accuracy - hitting guys in stride often. He was particularly good doing that over the middle and our YAC reflected that.
  • Howell threw a couple of the best deep balls we've seen in years.
It wasn't a perfect performance. I wish Scott Turner had let the kid throw it a little more. We weren't able to do much on the ground against Dallas. I honestly felt like this was the kind of game we could've hung 35 or 40 points on the Cowboys if we'd been a little less convservative. Hell - even if we hit FGs and XPs and Howell doesn't give up the endzone INT we could've done that. I would love for someone to explain to me where that effort was against the Browns - I will never ever understand how we fail to show up for a big game like that? Still not over it.

Final surprising thought? I really don't mind Commanders. Philosophically, I want it changed. I hate the way Jason Wright saddled us with a name very few fans supported. But rewatching that game, I realized I've more or less used to it. And I actually like the W logo more than I ever thought was possible. I don't even 'hate' the uniforms all that much. If as I expect the new owners just decide not to go there again, it's going to be okay.

Some no-bullshit film review of our boy from a guy who knows a thing or two about NFL quarterbacking.

I like Jahan's confidence.

I just wish I was hearing this from Bienemy or Rivera, not a second-year WR who is likely 3rd on the depth chart despite his amazing Rookie season and obvious talent.

Why would they say it though Neo? Remember Haskins? You want your young QB fighting for his job every day until it’s obvious he’s the guy (ie… after leading them to a winning season and being a major reason for the success).

I know, and I understand.

I'm just saying that Jahan has his opinion but that might not be what others think and the others are kind of important in all this. :)

Why would they say it though Neo? Remember Haskins? You want your young QB fighting for his job every day until it’s obvious he’s the guy (ie… after leading them to a winning season and being a major reason for the success).

I think it depends on the player also.

Atlanta is in a very similar QB situation and is hitching their wagon to Ridder for better or worse publicly. It changes the dynamic. Haskins never had it. I don’t think any way his situation was handled would have changed his career trajectory. I think Howell is a different cat. I think some guys need pushing, others benefit more from endorsement. I don’t know what makes Howell tick, so challenging may be the way to go… but I don’t know that Haskins is a good case study

I’m not really comparing the two for all the reasons you mentioned. But what’s the point in bringing in vet competition if you’re not going to make them compete?

He probably has a good feel for where he stands, that it’s his job to lose. But again, they want it to be clear he will have to continie to earn the starting job.

I’m not really comparing the two for all the reasons you mentioned. But what’s the point in bringing in vet competition if you’re not going to make them compete?

He probably has a good feel for where he stands, that it’s his job to lose. But again, they want it to be clear he will have to continie to earn the starting job.

True, and I’ll agree it’s pretty clear by the actions that he is the guy.

I will say, something we haven’t seen here in a long time is a true commitment to a qb. Why not come out now and say that he’s the starter and that brissett is the backup? Take away the idea of looking over his shoulder? Plant the flag so everyone else In the locker room knows he’s the guy and comes to work accordingly.

there are clear benefits to each approach, so I’m not necessarily saying one is better than the other… but man I’m so ready to stop hearing week in and week out, the questions about when the backup is gonna get a shot. Local fans have already started speculating when brissett is gonna get a shot.

Think they will do that. But he’s played 1 NFL game and it’s June. The speculation should fuel him to work harder, but ultimately he’ll either clearly earn the job or he won’t and what is said won’t have much if any impact on that.

There’s one reason why I have little doubt he’ll begin the season as starter, and it’s something the coaches and players have all referenced. That arm.

Another factor is what is being said 'in the room' at Ashburn, which we do not hear, versus what coaches and players say to reporters and media. Coaches do coach-speak, which I stopped putting much actual stock into years ago. Players, when they do speak on the record, generally only say positive things about their teammates. What often speaks louder from the players is what they don't say. I don't remember a whole lot of glowing commentary from Haskins' teammates, for instance.

My overall sense is that Howell is generally viewed 'in the room' as the guy as of the end of OTA's and minicamp. Which means only that he's that guy heading into training camp and that as of now it's his job to lose.

I suspect Bienemy likes both Howell's arm (he's probably got the strongest arm of any Washington QB in recent memory) and his ability to make some off-schedule plays, both throwing on the run or by taking off. I'm not going to make the Mahomme's comparison, but there are some similarities (at least at a casual glance).

Why Sam Howell’s contract is central to Commanders’ nearly unprecedented QB gamble

Ben Standig
Jun 21, 2023

Ron Rivera’s phrasing created more confusion than the desired excitement.

“We are roster-building for the first time,” the Washington Commanders head coach said at March’s league meetings, “and feel really good about doing the things that we are trying to do right now.”
Rivera and his staff broke the roster-building seal when they arrived in 2020, and they’ve been successful-ish: Three years later, the team has more overall talent and has significantly upgraded the offensive playmakers and the secondary. But the primary struggle remains to solidify the sport’s most important position. In the NFL, nothing compares to the quarterback....

I know there's a pay wall on the Athletic piece. FWIW, they're running a $1/mo. for the first year special right now, so I signed up.

Someone is a serious fan…

I watched most of the first half. He looked good. He has a nice arm and his mid-range passes were ... fantastic. His pocket presence was pretty good too. That one play where he avoided two sacks, threw the ball across his chest on the run and hit a guy downfield. Preseason or not that's a hell of a play.

It's really early but I do like what I see in the guy so far. Add the fact that he seems to have the full confidence of the coach and I do think there's cause for a little optimism. Crazy, I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.