• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Howling for Howell

I've given up trying to explain why Washington seems to do better with Heineke under center than Wentz.
Maybe it's simply that he's benefited from the O-line playing better, key players returning to health/form (Robinson/Thomas/etc) and our Defense picking up the slack.
Maybe it's simply that the team just believes in him more than Wentz. He's the warrior who never gives up and has fought in the trenches with them. That pylon dive for which he got so famous just shows what he'd do for a win. Under him the team just seems to exude that same attitude. (Weirdly, I kind of feel the same! I have no feel for Wentz, and no confidence that he will fight for the game because I've not seen it with my own eyes while he's been wearing a Commanders/Redskins jersey. But with Heineke...there's a weird magic. You KNOW the interception is coming. But you also KNOW that the team can win with him. It's such an odd feeling!)
Maybe it's just luck. Maybe he is that lucky talisman.

Howell is in a pretty good position if he can take advantage of it.
He's got a QB without an ego who will help guide him (Heineke). He's got a team that already has strong locker-room leaders in Terry and Allen, so he doesn't need to fulfill that role off the bat.
He's got a team that, once they fix the O-Line, has good weapons across the board and is young. He's playing opposite a strong defense.
He's also in a position where Rivera doesn't have to throw him into a sink/swim scenario.

The glimpses of him in pre-season were promising enough to make me excited to see what he could be like next year in Training Camp and PreSeason. Could he be our QB moving forward?
While it would be nice to get the next Mahomes, I'm realistic enough to know that getting an ELITE talent like that is a rarity. But it's not unrealistic to hope that he could be just someone consistently GOOD and with development potential.
Like a Jalen Hurts. Couple of years ago he was just good enough to take the job from Wentz. Now two years later he's being bandied around as league MVP.
Not saying Howell is in that category, but I think it's worth grooming him this year and then rolling the dice with him next year and seeing what happens.

With how easy it is to throw a QB out and cut him without fear of losing a bunch of guaranteed money, I wouldn't be shocked if we see him if we lose this next game.

I can honestly say I haven't seen him play a single preseason snap, but I know throwing a QB out to the wolves like this is always a gamble. I'm just glad we wouldn't be losing money like if the contracts of Bradford/Leaf/Russell were still a reality.

Every Sam Howell throw & run from preseason ...

If they make a change it will be to Wentz. We are at the point where we likely will still have a playoff shot in week 17 even if the next few weeks do y go well. They aren’t going to pick that situation to start a rookie in (and he likely won’t dress the rest of the way).

Just to be a smart ass:

The fact that Milne got 15 yards after a catch let's me know it's suuuuuuuper garbage time lol

Howell is still the most intriguing QB on the roster. Maybe that's just 'cause we don't have any regular season tape on him. There's a part of me that really wants to plug him in and see what happens. I know that won't happen because it's too big a gamble with us being in the Wildcard chase, but I can't see this offense allowing us to go deep in the playoffs even though we beat the Eagles (convincingly.) The D is good, but it just doesn't feel like one of those Ds a team can ride all the way like the Bears or Ravens did years ago.

So, I'd love to see Howell get some play. Maybe if we ever get a lead he can get some garbage touches?

Every Sam Howell throw & run from preseason ...

A lot to like there, no matter the level of competition. NFL arm, quick decision making, mobility, etc. With a year of growth and development under his belt it will be fun to see how he does next year.

His UNC buddy didn’t do him any favors though.

• Fist Bump
Reactions: Om
If I'm Rivera, Turner, and the front office staff I do the following at QB in the offseason:

1. Release Wentz
2. Resign Heinicke
3. Look hard at all the FA QBs available and likely bring one in to compete
4. Draft another guy

Then I'd make camp an open competition for the starting spot between Heinicke, Howell, and whichever vet I'd brought in.

I like that thinking.

I also know that we as fans always clamor for the shiny new toy. We did it when Brunell was here for Campbell. We did it for Betts when Portis was getting older.

It's what we do. I'm not saying Howell can't be the guy, but nothing I've seen so far says he can do anything Heinicke isn't doing.

We should be drafting a QB every year until we hit on one. I’ve seen enough free agent guys with fatal flaws to last me awhile.

This.

Been banging that drum for years.
Yes...and no.

I like the idea in theory but I'm not sure it is practical. Consider the number of guys drafted every year who never see the field because they weren't a first-round pick. We have a 5th rounder on the roster right now who won't see the field this year unless both guys in front of him get blown up physically. If the front office goes shopping for a vet in the spring, he might not get a chance then either.

If we draft QBs year after year, how will know if we hit one? The typical NFL coaching staff isn't inclined to go with any QB that wasn't a first-rounder unless forced to do so and we can't drop a first on a QB every year.

Even Brady only got his chance because Belichick didn't have any other options at the time.

I don't buy that last part. Brady got his chance when he got it. Had he NOT gotten it then, it's likely he'd have gotten it later. There are too many good eyes for talent on and around NFL teams who are going to pick up on special QB talent when they see it--even if it's in practice. Brady was out of Michigan and had won big games there. He wasn't a throw-away. I'd bet real money he would have gotten his shot at some point.

As to drafting a QB every year ... I'll stand by that for as long as you are a team that doesn't have one. You can't contend for titles in the NFL without a big-time QB. You can't afford big money free agents more than once every few years, and they tend to not work out anyway. The only practical and affordable way to land one is through the draft ... and you need to devote time in the offseason AND season--every season--seeing what that year's kid has in practice. Repeat until you finally hit, or remain a team with at best average expectations.

On Howell, the team needs to get some inkling between now and next draft day as to what they think he might have, and decide how high a pick they can afford to part with NEXT year to draft another one.

This isn't my philosophy only, by the way. It was Joe Gibbs'.

Last edited:
Yes...and no.

I like the idea in theory but I'm not sure it is practical. Consider the number of guys drafted every year who never see the field because they weren't a first-round pick. We have a 5th rounder on the roster right now who won't see the field this year unless both guys in front of him get blown up physically. If the front office goes shopping for a vet in the spring, he might not get a chance then either.

If we draft QBs year after year, how will know if we hit one? The typical NFL coaching staff isn't inclined to go with any QB that wasn't a first-rounder unless forced to do so and we can't drop a first on a QB every year.

Even Brady only got his chance because Belichick didn't have any other options at the time.

To be fair we dont have to know squat.... the coaching staff does. My assumption is that coaches see A LOT more than we do regarding player ability on Monday - Friday, than we do on Sunday. I have little doubt that these coaches invest a fraction of their decisions based on game day. I have a feeling they have a pretty good idea of Howell and his abilities right now. I think if we were to draft a QB in each of the next 3 drafts.. the cream would rise to the top. That's not to say 1st round picks... but just drafting QBs.

One of the crazies stats I've ever researched is the fact that the New England Patriots drafted THE SAME NUMBER OF QBs in the time they had Tom Brady, as the Redskins did. They had the GOAT, they were racking up SB wins, and they still drafted the same number of QBs we did while it was happening...

I'm on this train after tonight. It's time to put in Howell. 12 points and 2 turnovers from Heinicke in a must win game is unacceptable. They are most likely not heading to playoffs now, so go ahead and make the move. See what you have in Howell, because we know what they have in Heinicke and that will never be enough to win when you need it.

Howell will end up in the same mess. Turner is the problem

But this isn't about Turner, it's about Howell. They to see if they have an NFL QB on this roster. Turner can do the same dumb stuff, but if you see that Howell can play, that's what matters from here on out.

Turner won't allow Howell to do what he does best.

We've seen one Heinicke run for the pylon since his TB game.

I'd be bold and start Sam Howell the rest of the way and here's why:

1) Neither Wentz nor Heinicke is capable of putting 3 good games in a row together against good to great opponents. And as some have pointed out - it may take sweeping those games to get us into the playoffs.

2) We need to learn what we have in Howell, at least get some idea, before we go into the offseason.

3) Even if this team, whoever is under center, MAKES the playoffs - does anyone believe they are going anywhere?

4) Our remaining opponents have no more idea as to what Howell can do in live action (or how to gameplan against him) than we do. That might give us the edge we need to surprise.

It's a pointless conversation. I doubt Rivera makes a change at all - because to make a change is a tacit admission that you were wrong to pin your hopes on Taylor Heinicke in the first place. The next hurdle to get past in order to promote Howell is the #2 QB. Rivera would no doubt point to Wentz's arm talent and experience level as the reason why he has to take over, ignoring the fact that you deemed TAYLOR HEINICKE to be the superior QB. That should tell you all you need to know.

Shake things up and promote Howell. Have some balls and take some risk.

Riverboat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.