• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haslett is gone

This is really very simple. 3 easy, intelligent steps.

1. Within the next 30 minutes, announce that Bruce Allen is no longer the GM. Promote him, demote him or fire him. But no real coach will come here as long as he is the GM.

2. 15 minutes later, fire the entire scouting department. Any real coach will want assurances that he'll actually have talent to work with.

3. Begin your GM search, and let your GM find the defensive coordinator.

But watch, we'll probably screw this up too.

A GM would also need to find a real head coach. As you stated, no real head coach will work for Bruce, which is why they are stuck with Gruden.

A GM would also need to find a real head coach. As you stated, no real head coach will work for Bruce, which is why they are stuck with Gruden.

I think you guys are wrong. A strong head coach doesn't WANT a strong GM. I think they like Gruden, and honestly, it's too early to know if that's justified or not. And I think Jay Gruden needs to have the freedom to pick his own coordinators. I think he does have that freedom and ultimately it'll be Gruden who decides who is running his defense.

Absolutely. Gruden is the HC. He should be in charge of his staff. A GM hiring the DC is like a regional manager at an auto shop hiring the counter people. That's what the manager is there for. Gruden pick his staff and they together figure out the system. The scouts and evaluating departments find the players within that system, and the GM handles the agents and contracts. Each part of the system has it's input and collectively there is an identity and goal to work towards.

Since Fangio is under contract for another year the 49ers are probably holding out hope the Redskins will offer up a draft choice to allow him to move here as the DC.

Washington has a reputation for overpaying for talent, whether on the field or the sidelines. That still is working against us.

Or maybe they're simply trying to keep him off the market until their new HC can determine if he wants to keep him or not.

It ain't rocket science.

I hate to break it to you guys but we are in a bad situation, Haslett underperformed, and basically destroyed this teams defence, however , he also didnt bring in any young guys with upside, in fact we have very little young talent and the prospects of an immediate turnaround are not good. we dont have anyone who looks like they would be the stud to build around, kerrigan perhaps, but thats about it. if we were gonna keep rak and move to a 4-3 we would still need a 2 gap dt and some dbs, I would take one look at all the holes on the d and knowing that the O has even bigger holes , I would take a pass. I imagine most good DC's are too

So Haslett sucks, doesn't know how to use his personnel ...so the Skins fire him and that move sucks and you've already pre-determined that whoever they hire will suck too? Before we even know who that guy is?

Geez Louise Ryman....

I hate to break it to you guys but we are in a bad situation

No shit, seriously? Thanks for pointing out a team a 7-25 team over the last two years with a sieve of a Defense and even worse O-line has issues. I would never have known that. Thanks, man...

Nick

Hmm I thought we were in pretty good shape. 😄

Ryman makes some good points. It's a tough situation for anyone to walk into. Questions at the QB position means the defense is likely to be on the field often. Then if the DC takes a look at the safeties he won't get that warm fuzzy feeling. Then if he saw Bruce's interview he has to wonder who will be making the draft choices to help his defense. Not exactly tops on anyone's list.

Ryman makes some good points. It's a tough situation for anyone to walk into. Questions at the QB position means the defense is likely to be on the field often. Then if the DC takes a look at the safeties he won't get that warm fuzzy feeling. Then if he saw Bruce's interview he has to wonder who will be making the draft choices to help his defense. Not exactly tops on anyone's list.
True but anyone who takes the job,if they're worth their salt, will know exactly what they're in for.

They also know that if they help turn this team around, they will be treated like gods in this town. Heck, if somehow they make it to a Super Bowl here , they're legends for life.

Always two edges to every sword.

There are a lot of teams that make the playoffs without a dominant defense. We can't build a dominant defense next season there are to many holes, that's not to say they can't get much better production. I would say there weren't many members here that thought Haslett should even be with the team last season. Ryman has pointed out how his shortcomings real well:usa2:I gave Haslett the benefit of doubt and thought maybe a Rookie Coach might seek some familiarity with Haslett for his insight on the team and staff . Looking back they should have hired someone last year.

I would say Bruce's interview was as good as Gruden's debut season.

But let's just kill Bruce.

Edit: Of course, Bruce's performance was planned, and executed pretty damn good.

We can only hope Jay's performance wasn't what he had in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say Bruce's interview was as good as Gruden's debut season.

I was very disappointed in the presser. I was not expecting detailed plans, but he said nothing, instilled no confidence in future endeavors and provided nothing to tell me that it is not business as usual.

BA needs to do what he does best. Attend owner meetings, handle everything non-football related, handle the cap and deal with player contracts. If AJ is going to be the guy, let him acquire talent. Let him pick the best players to draft. Just have to wait and see.

I think Allen's presser did what it set out to do. Which was, make a statement, for statement's sake.

Decisions that need to be made, have not all been made, yet.

I didn't expect anything much from the presser. Hearing the confirmation that Haslett was gone was a welcome surprise. To expect any kind of detailed statement a few days after the end of the season seems totally unrealistic to me. The shrieking about it is laughably entertaining.

I do expect more to come. I see no need to rush things, just so fans feel better.

Let's see what actually happens before we have a conniption over what might, or might not.

You know, common sense.

The team better see the need. Because fans are fed up, and rightfully so. That you have the patience of Job is great. But not everyone does. And pretending that fans should just relax,'have faith', and 'be patient' given what we've experienced over and over since Dan Snyder arrived here - sounds a lot like denial to me. I'm not beating on you Brother Ax, I'm happy for you that you can maintain your positivity in the face of all this obvious failure. I'm just saying that your view has to constitute something like 1% of all Redskins fandom. So when you get blasted by the other 99%, I'm not condoning it, but I understand it.

And again, the fact that yeah, Bruce Allen may need more than 4 days post-season to figure out how to right the Redskins ship, doesn't mean that Bruce Allen is any any way qualifed, prepared, or capable of figuring out how to right the Redskins ship :)

I posted the below over in ES in the presser thread and decided to post my thoughts here as I am still a little fired up.
Sitting down and watching BA told me nothing has changed and that we are no closer to the playoffs and will continue to lose just like we have since Dan bought the team.

The skins are not a good football team loaded with lots of talent, a franchise QB with few holes to fill heading into the off season. At this point I would say we do not have excellent coaches and our FO structure clearly does not understand talent. Watching the presser from a certain point of view, all is Ok and BA is taking care of business.

BA provided nothing to indicate that we suddenly will start drafting talented players, will suddenly start bringing in FA's that make an impact on the field. I like how BA started talking about injuries and such when discussing his FA class and the Rak franchise, but never once talked about his player that saw the field a lot, but failed to live up to the money given him, Roberts.

I created my own little story asking for money from members that thought BA did a quality job in the presser. So, just start sending the checks my way as I will make you some money.

So, can I have a bunch of money because I am evaluating lots of ways to make money and working hard and making sure no stone is unturned. I have this awesome way to make lots of money and I am "sick to my stomach" that I have lost so much of people's money up to this point because I love making money for people. To all the people that I have taken their money and lost it, they have every right to be upset that I have lost so much of their hard earned income. But, I just finished losing the last batch of money people gave me so I am evaluating, looking at my methods, my friend's methods, the people that work for me and their methods. I can look back and see "exactly" what transpired in every way in how I lost all the money so I can now move forward and get it right. I am "absolutely" going to look at everything, and if a change is needed, I am going to make that change. I know exactly what I need to do to make money. But, like I said, I just finished losing lots of money so I don't have answers for you now as I need to sit down and look at everything that went wrong.

So, can I have a bunch of money because I am working hard, have the right people in place to succeed and will have the right plan moving forward. I am looking at all options, probably the same options I have been looking at since I arrived, and, I have total faith in my main money making manager. Unfortunately, when he is in process of trying to make the money I don't want to interfere so I stay in my money office for those 4-5 months just hoping money will be made by itself.

No, really, send me the money. My money scouting department is dead on, and continuously gets it right. I just don't listen to them.

So, I will be expecting the check in mail. And, I am on it. Your money will make money. If it doesn't, please feel free to blame me.

And, lastly, ignore all those negative media reports that I have been losing money for most of the last 15 years. They are haters.

The team better see the need. Because fans are fed up, and rightfully so.
Because of all the people standing on the ledge threatening to jump, they rushed the presser, IMO. So an anxious fan base, constantly encouraged by a media that thinks they're more important than anything on earth, are having a tantrum because they didn't cure cancer. I got out of the presser what I expected, which was nothing. Save the Haslett confirmation.

That you have the patience of Job is great. But not everyone does. And pretending that fans should just relax,'have faith', and 'be patient' given what we've experienced over and over since Dan Snyder arrived here - sounds a lot like denial to me.
I've been accused of having such patience, but I don't see it. And I'm not pretending fans should relax, have faith, or be patient in the face of what's happened since Snyder took over. I am saying fans should relax, because they have no control over it, and they will be happier, and live longer, if they learn to focus on the good things in life, more than choosing to dwell in the negative.
I am saying be patient, this offseason, while so many things are up for change. Predicting what horrible things will happen, and then bitching about them as if they actually did happen, is less productive than Bruce's presser the other day.
I have also tried the point out the facts that our teams history has had long dismal stretches happen before Snyder. And that this last 20 years includes some Snyder-free years. Which conveniently gets me labeled as a Snyder apologist by a few around here. I can't tell you the countless milliseconds of sleep I haven't lost over that. ;)
No denial from me.

I'm not beating on you Brother Ax, I'm happy for you that you can maintain your positivity in the face of all this obvious failure.
I know you love me Boone. No worries about that. And again, I don't see it so much as maintaining positivity, as I do rejecting negativity. It's a fine line. But my Superman like vision allows me to see the difference that mere mortals might not.

I'm just saying that your view has to constitute something like 1% of all Redskins fandom. So when you get blasted by the other 99%, I'm not condoning it, but I understand it.
The 99 to 1 odds at least gives the 99% a chance. I don't mind it. I do, at times, long for the good old days when there were more weapons available to use for self defense. :)

And again, the fact that yeah, Bruce Allen may need more than 4 days post-season to figure out how to right the Redskins ship, doesn't mean that Bruce Allen is any any way qualifed, prepared, or capable of figuring out how to right the Redskins ship :)
Agreed. Which makes it easier for me to not argue with the wall about who had control, and when. Bruce gave a starting date that he can't wiggle out of. Last offseason, he definitively said "the buck stops here". It's a concrete starting point. Nobody has to say/prove what they think really happened, or when. I know most have trouble, or simply refuse, to separate the differing dynamics, from coach to coach, and now, GM to GM, that we've had around here.

And barking at the moon, over an owner who isn't going anywhere, is just barking at the moon.

So Haslett sucks, doesn't know how to use his personnel ...so the Skins fire him and that move sucks and you've already pre-determined that whoever they hire will suck too? Before we even know who that guy is?

Geez Louise Ryman....

unless we pay someone a massive premium, I cant see anyone worthwhile taking this job unless its a young guy desperate for a shot at a DC role. and honestly our FO hasnt shown the ability to find young talent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.