• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haskins - Going Forward

How much of the current debate would be so strong early if Haskins had been a second round pick and was selected by the front office instead of the owner?

Haskins to me looks like a raw middle round pick who needs 2-3 solid years of work to have an NFL career and that is with the assumption he wanted to put in the time and effort.

Look, I am an Ohio St fan. I live in Buckeye country. My point is a simple one. Several QBs have been picked up and drafted as QBs....and not one of them stayed a QB. Ohio St runs a scheme that fits college and helps them whoop on teams.

Drew Brees, Scott Campbell, Len Dawson, Jim Everett, Jeff George, Bob Griese, Mark Hermann, Kyle Orton, Gary Danielson and Mike Phipps - Purdue
Vince Ferragano - Cal
Tom Brady, Todd Collins, Elvis Grbac, Brian Griese, Jim Harbaugh and Chad Henne - Michigan
John Brodie, Steve Dils, John Elway, Babe Laufenberg, Jim Plunkett and Andrew Luck - Stanford
Drew Bledsoe, Don Horn, Ryan Leaf and Mark Rypien - Washington St
Boomer Esiason, Neil O’Donnell, Frank Reich and Scott Zolak - Maryland
Doug Flutie, Matt Hasselback and Matt Ryan - BC

https://bleacherreport .com /articles/916732-quarterback-u-the-top-25-college-football-qb-factories-in-the-country

I agree. To me football IQ is the most important factor in player success.

There are plenty of guys that had track speed or could throw the ball a mile who bombed out of the NFL.

It’s the ability to integrate the physical ability with the mental challenges rookies face.

Why the Redskins don’t target guys like NE or Pittsburgh or Baltimore does is beyond me.

The one thought that keeps coming back to me is the fact Washington still has one of the smallest number of scouts in the NFL.

At one point New England had double the number of evaluators working for them.

This team continues to do a lot on the cheap.

Remember how long it took to get an inside practice facility at Redskins Park?

Snyder for all of his lavish ways only seems to splurge on what is visible and public but not on those behind the scenes things that the best organizations commit to.

Look, I am an Ohio St fan. I live in Buckeye country. My point is a simple one. Several QBs have been picked up and drafted as QBs....and not one of them stayed a QB. Ohio St runs a scheme that fits college and helps them whoop on teams.

Drew Brees, Scott Campbell, Len Dawson, Jim Everett, Jeff George, Bob Griese, Mark Hermann, Kyle Orton, Gary Danielson and Mike Phipps - Purdue
Vince Ferragano - Cal
Tom Brady, Todd Collins, Elvis Grbac, Brian Griese, Jim Harbaugh and Chad Henne - Michigan
John Brodie, Steve Dils, John Elway, Babe Laufenberg, Jim Plunkett and Andrew Luck - Stanford

https://bleacherreport .com /articles/916732-quarterback-u-the-top-25-college-football-qb-factories-in-the-country

Didn’t Aaron Rodgers go to Cal?

Aaron rodgers was already mentioned by Derek.

Vince Ferragano - Cal

I get what you are saying. My only point is no college produces a great QB until they do. Even at Ohio State, they have had different coaches that run different offensive systems and had different styles of QBs. If there is a criticism of QBs at Ohio State now, then it would more directly tie to Urban Meyer, which someone above mentioned as well. You are correct in that a lot of colleges will do what they need to do to win in college and that doesn't necessarily help them succeed in the pros. You mostly see that in QBs, but it can fit to other positions as well. Even still, I think the criticisms of Haskins and where has has fallen short, that has to do with what he has or hasn't done as a pro.

I get what you are saying. My only point is no college produces a great QB until they do. Even at Ohio State, they have had different coaches that run different offensive systems and had different styles of QBs. If there is a criticism of QBs at Ohio State now, then it would more directly tie to Urban Meyer, which someone above mentioned as well. You are correct in that a lot of colleges will do what they need to do to win in college and that doesn't necessarily help them succeed in the pros. You mostly see that in QBs, but it can fit to other positions as well. Even still, I think the criticisms of Haskins and where has has fallen short, that has to do with what he has or hasn't done as a pro.
We went back 30 years to find ANY QB that has come out of there and we came up with.....Mike Tomczack. Joe Burrow could have been one if he would have stayed over Haskins.

I wouldn't buy a sports car from a place that has produced sports car that become trucks or break down after a few seasons. Ohio St has great running backs, linebackers (used to), and secondary. Quarterbacks aint anywhere near that list.

Haskins had one great season at Ohio St. He also had a stud RB and WR next to him.

I think that's a fair point Mike. But this is what happens when an owner, who unlike Jerry Jones hasn't ever even played the game and doesn't know a damn thing about it at any real level, is a big influencer on who is drafted.

Watching the first half it came to me that Kyle Allen looks like Ron Rivera’s Colt McCoy.

Colt knew all the plays and every subtlety of the offense, he just couldn’t execute on Sundays.

I have to apologize to Allen. His loss today was really on the stubbornness of the head coach.

No way with a close game with younger rosters on both sides that you don’t make the other team EARN the win.

Simply shameful by Rivera.

Jesus Haskins. Get out of your own way. I’m about done with this guy.

anyone who has actually played football knows there are two kinds of workouts, workouts for the field and workouts for the beach. the hardest workouts I have ever seen were by David Boston who worked himself out of the league. Haskins was working out for the beach, wasnt watching film or studyuing the playbook and it came back to bite him

The team needs to just trade or cut him at this point. Fining him for inviting a family member is petty AF, Ron gave up on him and needs to let him start over with a well run organization. We’ll see how awful he is after someone like the Steelers let him sit for a while.

Why is it petty? If they have rules designed to prevent team members from getting COVID and he disregarded that, why would they not fine him? Unless others have done this with no consequence, how is it petty?

I can understand why some people may see it as petty, but the NFL rules are NFL rules.

Since early February, I have seen my parents just three times (they live 30 miles from here). I have seen my daughter and her family zero times and they are only a few hours away by car or 45 minutes by plane. 2020 will go by and I will not see them. For the first time ever (nearly 41 years), I will not see my daughter during a calendar year.

The community here has strict limits. The community where my parents live has stricter limits. None of this is petty. Rules are rules. Sure, I can go to visit my daughter and family. But upon my return, I will be isolated for thirty days. I don't like it, but again, rules are rules.

There is nothing petty about what my entire family is having to do here. I think Haskins should've been fined $100,000. He is the one who is petty. And a jerk.

A well run organization would not have taken Haskins at #15.

2019 was a draft where most teams had Daniel Freaking Jones rated higher.

The truth is 2019 was not a good year for blue chip qb talent and teams that needed a long term fix after Arizona waited until 2020.

Burrow, Tua and Justin Herbert are much better NFL prospects than Haskins ever would be.

The NFL doesn’t use colored cards like Ohio St.

Teams in the NFL expect you to learn the playbook and be able to call plays at the line to get the ball snapped before expiration of the clock 😆😆

Why is it petty? If they have rules designed to prevent team members from getting COVID and he disregarded that, why would they not fine him? Unless others have done this with no consequence, how is it petty?

Well it appears this ‘rule’ was enacted on the Saturday before the game for starters. From everything I’ve read he made a reservation at the same hotel & there’s nothing stating this person even showed up. Unless the Team bought out the whole hotel they cannot say who can stay or cannot.

Never mind how this alleged new rule is clear as mud on the surface. DH has been a healthy scratch going on 3 weeks now and Ron goes out of his way to not only bench him but fine him too? Yes that’s extremely petty imo. Ron has recently admitted that what he says can be wavered in a moments notice with the only explanation is a ‘gut feeling’.

One thing we agree on is DH needs to be released or traded this season. I think where we’re disagreeing is RR’s methods of qb management. Dude is full of it when he said he’s not giving up on Haskins. This is piling on when it’s completely unnecessary. He could easily arrange a trade in a matter of minutes without publicly scrutinizing everything concerning Dwayne to justify benching him.

BB I was in the military and perfectly understand rules & regulations. However, just because one is in place by an authority doesn’t make it correct or even logical. At times it’s quite the opposite. My son wasn’t able to walk for graduation due to these rules & at the time there were no confirmed cases in Alaska, in the Anchorage bowl anyway.

I’ve got numerous examples of the covidiots brandishing nonsense rules restricting gatherings like funerals, graduations, weddings, etc. I guess my point is just because they’re in effect doesn’t make them practical, or even sane & individuals shouldn’t be punished because of the few who’ve deemed them necessary.

Well it appears this ‘rule’ was enacted on the Saturday before the game for starters. From everything I’ve read he made a reservation at the same hotel & there’s nothing stating this person even showed up. Unless the Team bought out the whole hotel they cannot say who can stay or cannot.

Never mind how this alleged new rule is clear as mud on the surface. DH has been a healthy scratch going on 3 weeks now and Ron goes out of his way to not only bench him but fine him too? Yes that’s extremely petty imo. Ron has recently admitted that what he says can be wavered in a moments notice with the only explanation is a ‘gut feeling’.

One thing we agree on is DH needs to be released or traded this season. I think where we’re disagreeing is RR’s methods of qb management. Dude is full of it when he said he’s not giving up on Haskins. This is piling on when it’s completely unnecessary. He could easily arrange a trade in a matter of minutes without publicly scrutinizing everything concerning Dwayne to justify benching him.

It's piling on - but Rivera is the victim of it, not Dwayne Haskins :)

I don't know whether he's giving up on Haskins but the minute he says he is, what questionable 'trade value' he has evaporates. I'm not sure there's a team out there right now willing to give up more than a 6th rounder for him.

Do you really think a new head coach whose dealing with the COVID crisis, and battling cancer has the time or motivation to go out of his way to screw with an individual player? Why would he do that? I think the more likely explanation is that the players were informed of the rules about the team hotel, and only Haskins wasn't able to absorb and abide by it.

It's piling on - but Rivera is the victim of it, not Dwayne Haskins :)

I don't know whether he's giving up on Haskins but the minute he says he is, what questionable 'trade value' he has evaporates. I'm not sure there's a team out there right now willing to give up more than a 6th rounder for him.

Do you really think a new head coach whose dealing with the COVID crisis, and battling cancer has the time or motivation to go out of his way to screw with an individual player? Why would he do that? I think the more likely explanation is that the players were informed of the rules about the team hotel, and only Haskins wasn't able to absorb and abide by it.

Ron cannot technically give up on Dwayne since he never committed to him in the 1st place. Dwayne obviously isn’t in his plans with the team & that’s fine too. But it needs pointed out that Ron should not be saying one thing then actually performing another. That’s regardless of his illness or any other factors.

By making Dwayne 4th string on a 2 string team Ron killed any trade value that was there. Agree on not spending any time dealing with him if DH isn’t in the plans though. I don’t get why RR won’t ship him out now instead of fining him while he’s already buried on the bench. That’s the part I see as petty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.