• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haskins - Going Forward

No one is going to trade for a second year QB that was benched after four games. No one.

It's QB Henry - that makes a difference. There is always the 'I'm smarter than the guys that are handling him' GM/HC factor. And he does have an NFL arm. Hell - Josh Rosen garnered a 2nd round pick from Miami, and he's, well, Josh Rosen :)

I think there was a lot of hyping up of Rosen's arm talent and a lot of glossing over his considerable flaws prior to that trade by fans whose teams were desperate for a QB. Haskins rep is likely not going to generate that interest. I'm thinking the high end of what we might get is a 3rd, the low a 5th. But the irony of it all is, the only way we do get draft capital in a trade is by making it clear we'll keep him if we don't get a decent offer. Otherwise, teams will assume he's just going to get released in the offseason and wait.

I have no idea why he checked down, haven’t even seen the play. Did the rb have a better possibility to score than a covered wideout? Maybe if DH knew exactly what RR wanted him to do instead of trying not make a mistake it woulda been different. He was playing under ultimatum and all to not mess up

If today’s game couldn’t prove to some of you guys the o-line is hot garbage along with the current defensive play then nothing will. Dwayne may not be firing on all cylinders at this point in his very young career but as of today NOTHING on this team is. 8 sacks on these seasoned vets & yet another 30 points given up by the defense

It's fair to say just about any QB would struggle given the protection our OL is (or rather, isn't) providing, and the lack of a credible run game or multiple receiving threats. Add in the vanilla playcalling and it is a tough challenge. But what I saw yesterday while Allen was in there was an immediate improvement in getting the ball out quickly, decisive crisp and accurate passes, and using his legs when it was warranted. Those are all things Haskins has struggled with. I think the 'no one could look great in this offense' argument misses the point to an extent. Yes - QB isn't the only position out there, but it is also not a position that is entirely dependent on the supporting cast. If it were, there would be a lot more stories where Trent Dilfer quality quarterbacks took their teams to the Super Bowl. It rarely happens, and that's because while supporting cast matters, it cannot overcome a marginal QB.

Btw - seemed like nearly all those sacks came against Alex Smith. the OL looked less shaky when Allen was in there and making quicker decisions, so the argument works both ways.

I think it was unfortunate that as Smith went onto the field the heavens truly opened.

For those more knowledgable than I, does a wet field make things easier for the defensive line? I'm guessing wet turf is harder to hold your ground in and wet uniforms are more slippery to push against. I wasn't sure if the weather played into the hands of the Rams D-Line.

As for Haskins...

While it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone, I do wonder it the fact he was benched to 3rd string is indicative that he's staying. Those that have commented on RR's decision backfiring on his value, you're right, but maybe Ron is just seeing a kid who needs some humility and truly needs some bench time behind Smith to actually learn his craft - a la Mahomes. (Not saying for a heartbeat that I believe Haskins is Mahomes, but that's the template to getting back on the field he should be following if he wants ANY chance of reviving his career!)
Mahomes was very vocal yesterday in crediting Smith with his development in KC. Haskins needs to open his ears up and listen and learn.

The rain didn't help, but lost in all of the noise about Alex Smith being 'comeback player of the year' is that he played badly. He looked unsure, slow, and even the short passes that are normally his bread and butter were inaccurate and sloppy. He looked bad and he wasn't able to evade even mild pressure yesterday. And even though the offense sucked even with Allen under center, I thought the differences in their abilities at this point was pretty stark.

Smith looked like someone who hadn’t played a snap in two years. As bad as the Offense looked even with Allen, at least he looked more decisive and got rid of the ball more quickly. Odd that, even as bad as the line is, you could see the differences among Haskins, Allen and Smith.

I totally disagree. This is nothing like Rosen. Rosen played an entire season and then Arizona took a QB with the #1 overall pick. They could legitmately say "We had a better option so we took it but Rosen still has value"

If the Cardinals benched Rosen immediately and then started shopping him around before they even had a replacement? That would have been incredibly stupid.

But even the Cardinals aren't that dumb.

What does who the Cardinals had as an alternative have to do with his value? I'm pretty skeptical any teams thought 'Rosen is fantastic - they're only moving on from him because they have Kyler Murray'. They went out and got Kyler Murray because they saw Rosen was a disaster. It's very much the same scenario. Rosen destroyed much of his value by looking awful for most of a season, just like Haskins has. The WFT benching him hardly makes it any worse than his own performances/stats had made it. Rosen and Haskins racked up eerily similar #'s in their first 12 games. Well under 60% completion rates. A handful of wins. A ton of sacks. Very few TDs. The only difference is, Rosen's 3 wins and 10 losses came in one season, while Haskins spread his out over two. Literally the only difference.

To the extent anyone has undermined his value, it's Haskins himself that's accomplished that, although most fans will want to blame Rivera for it.

It's not worth arguing about honestly. I'm not inclined to judge Rivera harshly for anything he does walking into this mess, even if there are things I see (and there are) that strike me as inconsistent, nonsensical, or off.

Last edited:
There’s always a team more dumber than Dan Snyder who will trade for Haskins.

Right?

Well, the Jets hired Adam Gase to be their head coach. So they're in the running.

Haskins has trade value... determining that value is the struggle.

HCs have egos just like players do. To compare it to baseball, you'll always find a manager willing to take a chance on a guy who throws 98 but can't find the plate, because he throws 98. Football coaches see a guy with a big arm and want to 'fix' them. Haskins attitude is what's killing his 'value' as an NFL quarterback.

That's true. Sean Doolittle still gets paid a lot more than I do.

I was thinking about this last night. I don’t think any team would trade for Haskins to be a starter. It would be a team that can trade a late round pick to have him sit behind a veteran and learn. Pittsburgh comes to mind because they have nothing behind Roethlisberger. But Pittsburgh generally doesn’t make moves like this. Detroit as well as they have very little behind Stafford. But the Detroit coaching situation is a mess, so I expect the GM would wait for a new coach, assuming he survives. There may be other teams in that category, but I think it’s a small list.

And for people that think no one will want him, the cowboys signed Dalton, the Raiders Mariota, and the Saints Winston. All guys that were basically run out of their old jobs. Not to mention guys like Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon, and Blaine Gabbert still have jobs as backup QBs. There are still almost 100 QBs in the league, which makes some of them pretty bad by NFL standards.

The point is, there are a lot of coaches who will take a chance on a guy. It doesn’t mean he will succeed. It doesn’t mean he would even stick with the team. He may not want to do what it takes to go that route. But someone else will want to take a look at him and say “I can fix this”. And let’s face it, does anyone around the league trust that this franchise knows how to develop a QB or anyone for that matter?

Was high on Haskins, so glad the day the Skins selected him. Now I think it's best to move him out asap. If the Saints were willing to trade Winston for Haskins, I'd do it in a second. Smith is a brave soul, but he looked scared yesterday (not that I blame him). I didn't get warm feelings that he should be out there. Particularly when he was coming off the field on that 4th and 2 late, when most QBs would be screaming to go for it. Then he was sent back out to go for it. No chance of anything good happening there.

Since Smith was brought up in this thread, Haskins needs to look at Smith and see what it takes to overcome adversity. That guy has face more than he has and look at how he overcame it. That should be motivation to all the players, but especially for Haskins. Whatever Haskins is feeling right now, just look at the guy in the room next to him and see how you can overcome what others say is impossible. That is the real takeaway from yesterday's game in regards to Haskins situation.

I just don't get the feeling Haskins thinks he needs to learn from anyone. I hate to say it, but that's just the vibe I get. I go back to his 'I want to be a HOF QB' comments. You what???

I just don't get the feeling Haskins thinks he needs to learn from anyone. I hate to say it, but that's just the vibe I get. I go back to his 'I want to be a HOF QB' comments. You what???
That really bothers you?
I guess when Tom Brady first met Robert Kraft after being drafted and told him “ I’m the best decision this organization has ever made”, before ever playing a down, would’ve really cheesed you off?
Nothing wrong with wanting to become a HOFer....
Is the fan base THAT far down the rabbit hole?

That really bothers you?
I guess when Tom Brady first met Robert Kraft after being drafted and told him “ I’m the best decision this organization has ever made”, before ever playing a down, would’ve really cheesed you off?
Nothing wrong with wanting to become a HOFer....
Is the fan base THAT far down the rabbit hole?

Tom Brady will be in the Hall of Fame. Haskins could realistically never have another NFL start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.