• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fire Shanahan on Tuesday November 26th at 10am!

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I think it's the move that needs to be made. I do not even think we should wait the season out. Give Kyle the reigns if he wants them, if not give Raheem the team for the final 5 games this season and let the chips fall where they may.

Shanahan has lost control. I was willing to give him an extension and give him the benefit of the doubt since he did have an uphill battle with the circumstances he created with the cap. But this team needs to be rebuilt as it currently stands. We do not have enough talent on this team to compete and a single off-season with a lot of cash to spend will not fix it, especially since Shanahan refuses to build a quality OL. We need a long list of players.

RT
RG
LG
SS
CB
NT
DE
ILB

Shanahan has proven he can win with a team that was mostly assembled...he simply plugged in a few players and they won the SB. But he has no ability to create a team from nothing and it is being proven on the field week in and week out.

Time to bring in a GM (Allen offers a lot to this team so keep him in the current role, but we need a Player personelle guy) and let them hire the next Head Coach. I was against any retread Super Bowl winning coach and still am. It's time we buy Eric DeCosta away from the Ravens and let him do his thing. He has to be ready to leave Ozzie's nest by now.

But I would fire Shanahan as early as 10am.

I would toss in a new center too.

The coach I would get is David Shaw from Stanford. He's good and will do exceptionally well at the next level. Second choice would be Bill O'Brien out of Penn St.

I like the idea of a football GM and keeping Bruce Allen.

Last edited:
Obviously the season is over, but I don't think the danny will fire another coach in mid season. But it's more than apparent that Shanny can no longer motivate this team, for whatever reason, and I hope he's fired the day the season is over. Hasslett and Kyle with him. Too many boneheaded calls on defense and if I see two recievers in the same spot in the field again I'm gonna scream. We didn't even see that during Zorn. I'm for keeping Bruce Allen, but I too want a player guy in there as co-GM. FLush everything else down the toilet

It appears that the team has given up. I'm not saying that in anger, because I'm surprisingly not angry or sad or anything this morning. I watched the game expecting a bad loss and it was, in fact, a bad loss. But in addition to that it now appears that Shanahan has lost the team. And THAT is a problem. Not the losses or the personnel issues. Those can be overcome. I don't know that losing the team can be.

I do not ever like firing a coach mid-season, but I'd watch the last few games of this season and if this team sleepwalks through them like I think they will you have to let Shanahan go. After that, I have no clue what to do next. But nobody pays me to make those decisions. :)

Last edited:
It appears that the team has given up. I'm not saying that in anger, because I'm surprisingly not angry or sad or anything this morning. I watched the game expecting a bad loss and it was, in fact, a bad loss. But in addition to that it now appears that Shanahan has lost the team. And THAT is a problem. Not the losses or the personnel issues. Those can be overcome. I don't know that losing the team can be.

I do not ever like firing a coach mid-season, but I'd watch the last few games of this season and if this team sleepwalks through them like I think they will you have to let Shanahan go. After that, I have no clue what to do next. But nobody pays me to make those decisions. :)

Yeah. This is about where I am. That was embarrassing last night, largely because the team appears to be sleepwalking. I have been in favor of keeping Shanahan through his contract, or even extending him at the end of next year, but that was humiliating as a fan last night. Just embarrassing. Sigh.

Another five performances like that, or even marginally better and Shanny's got to go. I really thought we were gonna turn it around too.

I'm ready to say adios to Shanny, I can't stomach piss poor coaching anymore, I wanted to give him year 5 but he's lost this team.

It's going to take more than firing coaches.

Instead of Danny throwing money at players and coaches he needs to throw it at the front office and get personnel that can draft and evaluate talent on a consistent basis. Then hire coaches to coach what they have. This idea of hiring a coach and giving them full control has to stop.

If you look at the better teams in the league just about anybody could coach them and have success. There is no way in year 4 that we should have so many holes.

If I was Danny I would tell Shanahan you will spend the extra money and draft picks on the O line first, then whatever is left over can go towards other needs. The last thing I would tell Shanahan is that you will get help for your little man syndrome and learn to work with players. This BS going on with Fred Davis is ridiculous. If it's so bad with him why is he even on the team. Release him and sign another practice squad player and bring someone up.

At one point or another a good coach adjust the play calling to suit his personnel. We are way past the halfway point and the team is like a rudderless ship. That's bad coaching plain and simple .

I would toss in a new center too.

The coach I would get is David Shaw from Stanford. He's good and will do exceptionally well at the next level. Second choice would be Bill O'Brien out of Penn St.

I like the idea of a football GM and keeping Bruce Allen.
I'm pretty much over Shanny too. However after our experiment with the Ole Ball Coach :puke: I doubt there's much interest in college coaches. What really scares me though is that Snyder might decide that since this hasn't worked he could do just as well with the previous hand puppet as GM model. Now that's the stuff of which nightmares are made.

After you cut Yusuf move right the hell on over to Polumbus. Just how bad is Compton, Gettis, Leribus, a blind lama hell anything to start over TP.

Yusuf, I am not sold Snyder will go there. I think (HOPE) he has matured enough to realize he cannot do it. It's time to hire someone to build this team the right way. I am just not sure if the "right" way is something that will benefit the current crop of players. Will we bring in a tough nose run the football guy as coach? If so, there will be a lot of rebuilding. Does the new GM bring in a spread style coach? I just don't know, but I strongly feel we need to blow it up now.

Obviously the season is over, but I don't think the danny will fire another coach in mid season. But it's more than apparent that Shanny can no longer motivate this team, for whatever reason, and I hope he's fired the day the season is over. Hasslett and Kyle with him. Too many boneheaded calls on defense and if I see two recievers in the same spot in the field again I'm gonna scream. We didn't even see that during Zorn. I'm for keeping Bruce Allen, but I too want a player guy in there as co-GM. FLush everything else down the toilet

Motivation isn't the problem. That run last year was nothing but motivated inspired play. So much so that it masked the truth - we lack talent all over the place. I don't care who the coach was - we get bitch slapped last night because we simply don't have the personnel to match up physically against solid competition.

Oh and wtf is the fascination with Paul returning kicks? I swear a retarded sloth could gain more yards on a return.

Last edited:
Oh and wtf is the fascination with Paul returning kicks? I swear a retarded midget could gain more yards on a return.
The majority of the kick offs to Paul were right in front of me. That kid is a baller. He has no help getting a lane to run through. At least he tries to hit the whole instead of dancing around like every single KR we've had since Rock. After watching Paul last night, I come away thinking that kid is one of the bright spots on our team.

I didn't focus on his wedge or anything but it seems he only hit the 20 like once.

Then again I was so disgusted with the team that anything would have snuck by me.

I think there's a Beetlejuice rule in effect here Yusuf.

I will cut you.
Hey, these aren't my rules! Come to think of it, I don't have any rules! :behead:

Yusuf, I am not sold Snyder will go there. I think (HOPE) he has matured enough to realize he cannot do it. It's time to hire someone to build this team the right way. I am just not sure if the "right" way is something that will benefit the current crop of players. Will we bring in a tough nose run the football guy as coach? If so, there will be a lot of rebuilding. Does the new GM bring in a spread style coach? I just don't know, but I strongly feel we need to blow it up now.
I don't think we need to blow it up. Getting a real RT and another guard or so would do wonders for our offensive output and Griffin's development. On the other side of the ball we do have more holes but some of those could be fixed by giving Haslett das boot (yeah, I know it doesn't translate to that, just roll with it) and switching back to a 4-3 defense. On that side of the ball, having holes is actually a good thing since it would help reduce the roster turnover needed.

As for Snyder, his capacity for boneheadedness never does cease to amaze me. I wouldn't put anything past him. For all our sakes, let's just hope you're right.

And that's my rub Yusuf, I just don't trust Shanahan will fix the glaring problems...Haslett, the OL, the DL and our secondary. I think he'll just try to plug a few more holes with sub par FA's and think he can fix it.

I agree El. A few weeks back when the team seemed like they were playing better I was in the "give it some more time" camp. I'm not in that camp anymore. I don't even think I could be swayed by anything that happens from here out.

To your point Shanny has an ego and is not going to get rid of his hand picked guys. If Dan (reasonably IMO) asks him to make coaching changes as part of being retained or extended I think he'd walk anyway. I wouldn't fire him mid season though because that never works out. We'll just have to embrace the suck for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.