• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dwayne Haskins- Improving His Physique

I get what you mean El - but I think memory is a kind thing. Haskins isn't 1/5th the drama queen that Griffin was. And my beef with your take is limited to this one sentence ... 'I don't think he sees that he needs to be more than physically gifted'. Where the hell are you getting this from? Seriously - none of us no the kid - period. I legitimately have no idea how you can make an assessment like that?

This is from the recent Haskins article:

"I knew I had an opportunity to start in OTAs and training camp, but I also knew if I worked hard enough and grew as a quarterback, I was going to get an opportunity to help the team. I knew I had to just keep learning and developing my body.

Quarterbacking in the NFL is so much more complicated and difficult. Everyone is good at what they do.
In college, you get away with so much. And then on top of that, you're not playing the best teams all the time. A linebacker can mess up on a Cover 2 -- he drops the other way -- and you throw a touchdown. In the NFL, that's never going to happen. I couldn't be sloppy with my eyes. If I stare at the tight end for too long, they're going to jump the route.

Those guys are so in tune with the quarterback that they're even able to read your body language.

I remember talking to Ryan Anderson and Tim Settle, and they said they could tell when I was going to snap the ball based on where I was standing. It's stuff that you don't even know people are noticing.

I was always looking for feedback from them. I would ask questions like, "Am I settling better? Is my cadence more efficient where I'm saying my ready more loudly or am I holding longer before I snap it?" It's stuff you might not necessarily notice as a young guy. I just had to learn how to pick up the nuances that can make you a pro.

During training camp, I heard all the talk from the media discussing who "won the day" between Colt, Case and myself. Avoiding that stuff is definitely easier said than done. We knew we were in a competition with one another. Case was trying to be the best Case could be every day and Colt was trying to be the best Colt could be every day.

I'm just trying to be the best I can be each and every time I step on the field. Whether it is a workout, walkthrough, practice or game, I want to continue to learn and grow each step of the way.

I remember how I felt in our first preseason game against the Cleveland Browns -- my first time coming back to Ohio. I was out there guns blazing, throwing plenty and pushing the ball down the field.

Of course, I made mistakes, but to be playing in an NFL preseason game, it was really like a dream. It was definitely a humbling experience, because I didn't play the greatest first game, but it was just fun to be out there. It was just a great opportunity.

Eventually, Case became the starter, but I understood the decision. He, along with Colt, had knowledge of the system. They're leaders, they're veterans, they've played in the NFL before, and they know what it looks like and have more experience.

I knew my opportunity would come, though. I just had to stay prepared."

To me, that sounds like a young QB who knows he has a long, long way to go. I don't sense any lack of insight on his part on where he was and where he needs to be. He doesn't lack confidence. Some would point to his belief he could 'win the starting job' as a lack of humility. But do you really want to draft a QB in the 1st round who doesn't believe he's a potential starter? I haven't heard anything he's said indicated undue cockiness or a lack of understanding of what's expected or that he doesn't have a long way to go.

If you want my opinion, Haskins doesn't much care for the media. I don't think he likes being in front of them getting pummeled with questions and he's not great at answering them. I will say, when he's live answering post-game questions with 1 or 2 word replies, he looks like he's got an attitude. I think it's more about thinking the questions are ridiculous (which they often are) vs. him not understanding where he is as a QB or not understanding that it takes more than being an athlete to be a great NFL QB. He's either smart, and gets that obvious fact, or he's stupid. You can't have it both ways.

Can anyone point me to reports from any reliable sources that state that Haskins in not being diligent with efforts to learn the new offense? Or that he is?

I don’t want to assume facts not in evidence.

Is he working remotely with Turner? Can he?

I get what you mean El - but I think memory is a kind thing. Haskins isn't 1/5th the drama queen that Griffin was. And my beef with your take is limited to this one sentence ... 'I don't think he sees that he needs to be more than physically gifted'. Where the hell are you getting this from? Seriously - none of us no the kid - period. I legitimately have no idea how you can make an assessment like that?

I think I made it clear that there were only some similar characteristics, not that Haskins is close to RG3.

You provide an article where he's asked specific questions, but fail to acknowledge the overwhelming social media presence that clearly shows he is far more interested in showing off his physical prowess.

I mean, come on John, after a year you can get a pretty good idea of a person's character from their post history. Haskins clearly puts a ton of emphasis on social media about how physically gifted he is. I have never seen him post a single post about how hard he is studying. It may be there, I've just never seen it. You keep getting upset by my take on him, when I have some body of evidence to back it up.

I mean come one man, it took me all of 18 months to get kicked off ES because they understood I would not conform to their norms. I never met a single mod over there until after I was booted. They had a pretty good idea I was a hard head from my post. history.

Edit: And Chris, that simple question misses my point. Haskins himself is telling us that studying is not as important as the physical specimen he is, just follow him on Twitter.

So your argument is ES was right about you :)

I post on Twitter a lot about the physical specimen I am. 🤣

That doesn’t mean that I do nothing else.

I post on Twitter a lot about the physical specimen I am. 🤣

That doesn’t mean that I do nothing else.
Well...you say those images are you. Do we really know it's you?

These are two different players.

RG3 never had the instincts to play from the pocket and unfortunately that wasn’t going to change.

You can’t fight yourself.

Haskins can play from the pocket and is showing he can be adaptable enough to develop other skills to speed his overall development.

The feeling I get now is that Haskins likes to sound off and be visible but underneath it he knows it’s just hype and he has to improve to move forward.

I think when RG3 sounded off he was showing off his true arrogance and lack of awareness.

Reactions: Om
I'll listen when Haskins actually does something that merits a first round draft pick. Until then, he is "The Child".

Haskins has to be the one first round quarterback I can recall that received absolutely no support from his head coach to prepare for his first season.

In my own business I grew up with a strong mentor/coach that got me off to a strong start.

I can only imagine all these years later - where would I have been if that person resented my very presence and didn’t care whether I succeeded or not?

It would have taken me a lot longer and at the beginning it probably wouldn’t have been very pretty.

Development is as important as Selection.

That’s how Parcells takes over a 1-15 team and takes them to 9-7 the next season.

Sometimes you don’t have to be a genius you merely have to give a ****

Never seen a rookie quarterback written off as quickly as Dwayne Haskins is by a fanbase.

As of right now, Patrick Ramsey and Jason Campbell got more leeway in their first season than this guy.

Unbelievable.......

I don’t believe for a second this fan base has written Haskins off. To the contrary most saw glimpses of what he could be late last year and are rooting for him. Don’t confuse most fans with Twitter loudmouths and internet know-it-all’s.

I don’t believe for a second this fan base has written Haskins off. To the contrary most saw glimpses of what he could be late last year and are rooting for him. Don’t confuse most fans with Twitter loudmouths and internet know-it-all’s.

You rang? :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, the arguments always tend to be either...or, huh?

I was torn , I thought Haskins sounded like a whiny millenial, he looked unprepared and panicky and like he really didnt like getting hit, but when I really broke down some film, it became rather obvious that Gruden was a dickhole of shamahan proportions. He not only threw the kid to the wolves, he didnt do anything to help him scheme wise, he hung that kid out to dry. when you really watch him, he has some great tangibles, and if we keep him upright and give him some targets and better protection, I think he could at least be solid. if nothing else, he gives us someone who can take some lumps while we build up the depth and talent on the Oline and rec core and still give a chance to be competitive, he has a high floor and a decent ceiling. I think he might surprise some of you if handled right.

I've stated from day 1 I think the kid can have some success in the NFL, but I don't see him being a super bowl winner. He can be much like Dak, given the tools around him, he can win some games, get us to the playoffs, but that's the ceiling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.