• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dwayne Haskins- Improving His Physique

So thankful that I cut my teeth in Redskins fandom at a time when there were no pseudo-psychologists around!

Did we ever worry what kind of message Joe Theismann's body language was conveying? John Riggins'?
;)

Social media has its downside!

So thankful that I cut my teeth in Redskins fandom at a time when there were no pseudo-psychologists around!

Did we ever worry what kind of message Joe Theismann's body language was conveying? John Riggins'?
;)
What are you talking about? Without social media, there were plenty telling Theismann to just shut up and play QB because his ego was out of control.

I think that misses the point these guys are making Brian... that Theismann was a arrogant blowhard, Riggins was an attention whore and buffoon, but it didn’t end up being any kind of real red flag In terms of what kind of players they became. It also didn’t get blown out of prooortion like some of Haskins very minor issues have.

I think that misses the point these guys are making Brian... that Theismann was a arrogant blowhard, Riggins was an attention whore and buffoon, but it didn’t end up being any kind of real red flag In terms of what kind of players they became. It also didn’t get blown out of prooortion like some of Haskins very minor issues have.

Because? They performed. That will always be the hypocrisy of the NFL - meaning, of course, money!

While performance still provides an athlete a pass these days - much less so. Social media provides a much more pervasive soapbox. It is also a very different suite of technologies from 5 minute nightly sports, daily newspapers, and no 24 x 7 sports radio. The players themselves have much more direct access to consumers these days. Consumers can "follow" players, receive near real time alerts, etc. The technology is not only more immediate but more flexible in terms of what can be communicated. The players use social media. It is also their Sword of Damocles.

Let's be honest about this, the consumers (us) don't exactly have a consistent standard for how they approach player use of social media. I have read the same people minimizing this publicity in many cases and then eviscerating a player in others for a whole slew of reasons.

Haskins, in one sense, has the advantage of not having much play time under his belt. There isn't much NFL track record to cast his abilities as a QB and leader so he can still control his destiny. Creature of his generation or not, perhaps he should focus exclusively on becoming a successful professional. Problem is, the social media megaphone is also a business tool for players. For others, regrettably, it services personality types that require stroking and attention. Where Haskins sits on this I don't know. What I can observe are his priorities, his message.....aaaaaannnnnnd........his performance.

I can project this with some confidence (though it is founded on instinct): if Haskins performs well he will use the social media soapbox very visibly, perhaps confrontationally, come his next contract. Depends on how well his agent can convince him of the surest path to the wealth (i.e., symbolism of his value) he believes he was short-changed on in the draft. We'll see then how many react to the messaging. I hope that not only his play improves but that he matures into a more savvy businessman/person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason every time I directly reply to Elephant you respond?

I grow weary of the incessant attacks I receive...if you don't want to listen because you're so invested in the B&G, then I will sit back and tell you so in 3 years from now when we have moved on from Dwayne, I can run around orange cones better than any human being, Haskins. Go ahead, call me ridiculous, mock me as you've done in the past.

Let's hope Rivera can put together an even more dominant defense than we saw in Carolina when they went to the Super Bowl, because Haskins is no Cam Newton.

Come on Brian - you give as good as you get - you always have. I have always given you credit for being able to take an aggressive reply but you certainly know how to dish it out as well.

Let's all do ourselves a favor and stop personalizing the discussion. There is a lot to be excited about right now as a Redskins fan. We also have a brand new site to discuss them on. We've certainly weathered a lot worse times as Redskins fans and BGO members. This is a promising time all around and it would be a shame to get mired down in finger-pointing and one-ups-manship before we've really even seen what Haskins and the new coaching staff and young talent can do.

I actually think Haskins could end up being significantly better than Cam Newton. That may sound crazy, but I've watched more Cam than anyone here (I've had no choice with the Panthers on TV every Sunday for the past decade). His big talent over the years has always been his legs. He's a big, strong, fast, and athletic QB who when the passing play wasn't there (and sometimes by design) was able to hurt teams with his legs. He's never been more than an average passer in terms of accuracy and instincts. That's not a big slam on him - because when the opposing team has to constantly worry about that other part of your game, it makes you a very challenging QB to defend against whether you're an above average passer or not. Cam has also benefited from some very stout ball-hawking defenses over the years. He hasn't (generally) had to put up huge #'s of points because their D has been so solid. And that made a ball control style of play ideal for a Newton-led offense.

We know what Cam can and can't (especially now) do. We don't yet have a clue what Haskins can do, but I can tell you right now that Haskins arm is much more impressive than Cam's ever was. He throws a beautiful ball, and was incredibly accurate at Ohio State. It's fair to say until he's shown that kind of accuracy in the pros, it's just wishful thinking. But the kid throws an incredible ball and Newton, as a passer, can't carry his water imho. Haskins also seems to have much better pocket awareness than most believed he did and even decent mobility.

It's hard to compare guys when one of them has had an entire career and the other is starting out. It's not fair to either one of them. It is obvious that we simply don't know who Haskins is going to be at the pro level yet. That doesn't mean my rosy prognostications are wrong, or that anyone who is highly skeptical of his future is wrong. We just can't know yet and will have to wait and see. I'm simply saying a lot of Haskins apparent skills compare favorably to Newton's - and Newton has benefited a ton from being in a situation that was nearly ideal for what he does well.

I agree on Cam, I did not think his ability to avoid the sack and extend the play would be so effective over the years. His uncertainty today is because we all know he is no longer physically capable.

I remember a couple games where Kerrigan had him dead to rights, but Cam was able to extend the play because Kerrigan was not able to take him down. Cam was as big as Kerrigan.

And I( think the focus on diet and exercise will pay dividends for Haskins. I just hope he is putting the time in to be the best QB he can, and running cone drills is not enough.

Last edited:
Is there a reason every time I directly reply to Elephant you respond?

With all due respect, is there a BGO rule in this regard I am unaware of? Just some idle humor.

No. It's ad hoc when I logon and catch up. I have responded to other posters. To answer what I think is being asked - no, this isn't a tag tag team effort. You will note that I have been more or less middle of the road in my responses for this particular issue.

In the event, I wish you and all a great weekend. My family will hit the grill Monday and celebrate the memory of fallen warriors. Health and safety to you and your family Boone!

What I see is a long history of NFL quarterbacks taking time to develop and coaches, GMs and fans making the mistake of thinking because a player doesn’t put it all together in one or two years on a bad team with almost no coaching that it is time to move on.

Jerry Glanville didn’t think much of Brett Favre but a better coach in Mike Holmgren rode him to two Super Bowls.

The problem with that line of thought, statistically, is that there are likelly an equal or greater number of coaches who stuck with QBs who never developed. All teams/All coaches have to make decisions - and they have a narrow timeframe to make them (assuming they want to remain employed and want to win).

That Haskins needs more time to prove himself is a point already conceded. That, of course, does not prevent an objective person from reflecting on all the observables.

There is left unaddressed the interesting matter of how a team decides in the first year or two of rookie seasons whether to hold or fold. Presumably there is a reasoned decision process for this. Calling a decision bad after the fact is rather easy to do especially when there is no knowledge of the decision criteria.

My own belief is that coaches (e.g., Andfy Reid) know whether a player fits their system, their expectations. They also know all the insider stuff vis temperment, study habits, intelligence, commitment, toughness, etc., that none of us are aware of. They may make a mistake jettisoning a player - looking backward. But it's not throwing darts against the wall. Too much money. Too many careers at stake. All these decisions have a bassis in some decision framework. Would Favre have succeeded in NE? Or would Bellicheck have passed on the free lancing? We'll never know.

Great, just as I show some excitement that the QB I don't trust to do what he needs to do to make himself the best he can be, I find out he's hanging out with the biggest cancer to hit the NFL in the last 10 years.

WTF is he doing with Antonio Brown? He's a great influence for our 22 yr old QB.

I would have to know a lot more in order to believe this is anything other than what it looks like it is... NFL players working out together.

Are the videos of idiot Brown supposed to reflect on Haskins somehow?

I would have to know a lot more in order to believe this is anything other than what it looks like it is... NFL players working out together.

Are the videos of idiot Brown supposed to reflect on Haskins somehow?

My concern is that Haskins is showing poor judgement to work out with such a cancerous sore.

I was always told, you will be judged by the company you keep. Just wanted to show what type of person Haskins has chosen to associate.

What's next? Some twitter lobbying to bring him in?

You want that puss filled abscess affiliated with this team?

Can't prove it, but this seems to me Haskins acting out deeper "frustrations": there is some residual anger about his draft position....and there is overt anger over how Gruden mishandled him. Armchair stuff I know.

One has to ponder - where does this all lead? I don't know at this point. But I have this nagging doubt.

Can't wait for Dwayne to sked some workouts with Krapperdick!

It's obvious what your concern is. I just think posting videos as if 'hanging out with him' means he endorses that behavior or is somehow linked to it - kinda sucks :) I don't know the details and doesn't sound like you do either. My guess is, he's working out somewhere where a number of other NFL (and former NFL) guys are doing the same? I noticed you didn't mention any of the other players, only Brown? For all we know, they may have just been at the same facility.

If you know more, say so.

What I don't like is always assuming the worst about the guy. That's what this is.

And no - I don't want Antonio Brown on my team. Stupid fans have been lobbying on that idea forever, it's nothing new.

My concern is that Haskins is showing poor judgement to work out with such a cancerous sore.

I was always told, you will be judged by the company you keep. Just wanted to show what type of person Haskins has chosen to associate.

What's next? Some twitter lobbying to bring him in?

You want that puss filled abscess affiliated with this team?
That's assuming he went there TO work out with Brown vs Brown just being there with a bunch of other players. Heck, if he's there to work and throw the ball and Brown shows up you expect him to leave? That's not realistic or logical, I associate with people I don't like or I don't respect due to circumstances and they have zero influence on my life.

And honestly even if he wanted to work out with Brown, working out with someone is a long way from them having an influence on your life. If they start hangout socially then you have an argument.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.