• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Could it be Tua?

Lot of wildcards this season, which make predicting win totals even harder than usual:

1) Does Haskins look more comfortableand his performance continue to improve?
2) what does Turners offense look like with our personnel running it?
3) Are we able to protect Haskins and open up holes in the run game with whoever we end up with as OL starters?
4) Are Guice and Love healthy contributors?
5) Do any of the WRs beyond McLaurin grow into productive contributors?
6) Who is our starting TE?

Im not even discussing defense although I think with JDR in charge it will be immediately better. But that’s a lot of questions just on offense.

And we were losing against Houston 17-7 in the third quarter when he went out. Yeah we almost came back and won the game, but that was after he left.

Smith was 27th in passer rating, 27th in yards per game, 29th in yards per attempt, 32nd in TD percentage. His one saving grace was that he didn't turn the ball over. That's it. And as we saw against Houston, if he makes on bad throw the game gets out of reach real quick. We didn't win one game that year when the opposing team scored more than 17 points. Not one.

As you said earlier in the thread, production matters. If we are going to move forward and develop our youth, not throwing INTs is not enough.
Thats a fairly accurate assessment although I think there are two factors you don’t reference that were important. First of all, you have to put Smith’s performance in context. Yes he is a vet QB but he was in a brand new offense with unfamiliar personnel. That takes time to work through. And as far as a lack of mistakes being ‘all he brought to the table’ - I think that’s wrong. He’s probably the best ‘leader’ we’ve had under center in decades and he brought a sense of calm and confidence that was obvious and allowed us to win a bunch of close games we might not have without him. The fact that the team began imploding the moment he wasn’t there supports that losing him was a big deal.

I do agree that he’s not an answer for this team going forward. But the question really is, would Tua be?

I like Alex Smith and I admire his resolve. But if he is the starter for next season’s opening game, with this team in the development stage that it is currently in, it’s a problem.

A BIG problem.

Thats a fairly accurate assessment although I think there are two factors you don’t reference that were important. First of all, you have to put Smith’s performance in context. Yes he is a vet QB but he was in a brand new offense with unfamiliar personnel. That takes time to work through. And as far as a lack of mistakes being ‘all he brought to the table’ - I think that’s wrong. He’s probably the best ‘leader’ we’ve had under center in decades and he brought a sense of calm and confidence that was obvious and allowed us to win a bunch of close games we might not have without him. The fact that the team began imploding the moment he wasn’t there supports that losing him was a big deal.

I actually don't have a problem with any of that. I remember you making that argument during the 6-3 run and agreeing with you. There are intangibles Smith brings to the table. I think his injury/age/time missed and the fact that this team is going to be building for the future mitigates that a lot.

I do agree that he’s not an answer for this team going forward. But the question really is, would Tua be?

Oy. What are you doing? :)

You figure that out. I'm going to take a nap. :D

If Newton becomes available all bets are off?

Good Lord. That makes my stomach hurt just reading it.

If Newton becomes available all bets are off?

Good Lord. That makes my stomach hurt just reading it.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that Rivera would have zero interest in bringing Cam here. The decline of Newton’s abilities pretty much cost Rivera his job. I think a lot of that decline was due to ongoing injuries but Newton hasn’t been an effective QB for a couple of seasons now. I would be very surprised if Rivera would want to hitch his horse to Cam again but I guess anything is possible.

I could be wrong, but my guess is that Rivera would have zero interest in bringing Cam here. The decline of Newton’s abilities pretty much cost Rivera his job. I think a lot of that decline was due to ongoing injuries but Newton hasn’t been an effective QB for a couple of seasons now. I would be very surprised if Rivera would want to hitch his horse to Cam again but I guess anything is possible.

He certainly wasn't overly loyal to Norman, so I think he can see the signs that Newton's time has passed, as well.

I don’t care what El says Tua’s arm isn’t nearly as good as Dwayne’s :p

Something else about Tua that nobody’s mentioned are his wr’s. Not saying he’s a bad QB or anything close to it, but damn his receiving corp is legit, probably close to if not tops. To say the Tide is stacked at wr would be a grand understatement.

Ruggs

Jeudy

Waddle

Smith

Last edited:
I agree. Definitely wasn't saying I think he is going to...just replying to the nonsense tweet.

Old and busted. :)

Something, by the way, I am quite familiar with on a personal level. :D

Old and busted. :)

Something, by the way, I am quite familiar with on a personal level. :D

Dang Henry, you're startin to get viral on the internet, ya hear ?

Attachments

• 3rfkso,jpg.jpg
    3rfkso,jpg.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 98
the move to draft Tua would be extremely risky, the only way I could see us taking a qb is if for some reason the bungles pass on burrows. Tua is short, he is injury prone and not sturdy, he has some great upside but we just took a QB. Taking Young would give us an NFL top 5 Dline and a top 10 front seven even with some holes at LB. Now if we trade down and get another first and then take Tua? maybe but we have so many holes that would be a wasted pick imho.

For this to be a win we have to come away with an all pro level talent, and the smart money says that is far more likely to be young. remember we are also going to need to build an entire Oline over the next 3 seasons. my worry is that Rivera buys the same bullshit that every skins coach the past 15 years bought that we are 1-3 players away from being a contender. that our expectations should be playoffs and not rebuild properly for a season.

-27th in points
-27th in yards
-18th in pass yards
-31st in rush yards
...and the defensive coach is going to take a QB with some pretty serious injury history instead of the guy MOST outlets are calling the best player in this draft and one of the best pass rushers of this generation. I'm not buying it. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Del Rio and Rivera discuss this.

-27th in points
-27th in yards
-18th in pass yards
-31st in rush yards
...and the defensive coach is going to take a QB with some pretty serious injury history instead of the guy MOST outlets are calling the best player in this draft and one of the best pass rushers of this generation. I'm not buying it. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Del Rio and Rivera discuss this.

Were those stats for the defense or offense ?
Because on one hand it seems like you'd post stats for defense, to support your conclusion.
But on the other hand, those stats sure do sound like our Offense in 2019.
If those are Defense stats, I'd be very curious to see our Offense's version of those stats. ; As I'm sure they would make a similarly strong case for drafting an offensive superstar as opposed to a defensive one.

Defensive stats.
It's about the same or worse on offense but the difference there IMO is we had some very good to stud players out on Offense that will be returning and not so much on D.

32nd, 31st, 32nd and 22nd in the same order as above. But to me Rivera being a defensive guy and Del Rio I'm sure pushing hard for it, a Chase young pick makes more sense to me.

If you draft a guy in the first round you have to give him more than three games to prove himself. And its not like Tua is some veteran who has shown that he can do it in the NFL, yet.

This isn't like in Chicago where there QB has had three seasons to show what he has and is still a question mark and the teams looking at Dalton who has played at a solid to good level and showed that he is indeed a NFL caliber quarterback.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.