• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Coronavirus - COVID19

my impression is "know your audience" some of us have friends who are in medically induced comas from it still.

I don't care how frustrated someone may be, being sarcastic and flippant about something killing people isn't ever going to be funny.

Wow. As Spear said, I meant no disrespect. I apologize to those who have lost loved ones, or are suffering from this pandemic. My point, albeit stated indirectly, stands however; this whole thing has been blown WAY out of proportion thanks to today's news cycle and lack of other items thereof. To wit: my Pappy often quipped "ain't none of us gonna get off this rock alive." Death comes for us all, no matter what. Let's enjoy the time we are given, and not sweat over the petty stuff. Let's pet the sweaty stuff. Cheers.

Look guys - most of us have been friends for years. We KNOW no one really means a thing by it. Folks deal with stress in lots of different ways. I've heard people crack morbid jokes during Code Blue events (I hate this and have said so before, but I understand it's coming from stress and folks use humor to deal with it).

No one needs to apologize for anything. But there are a number of places where this virus is killing a lot of folks - and is really really bad. If that's not what someone else is experiencing, that's awesome. But you are lucky. Because there are places where it's every bit as bad as advertised (and not just for 70+ year olds) and we're a long site away from being able to say the threat was overblown. I am fearful to go to work because I have significant respiratory problems and it's in my current place of employment. My wife works there. It really isn't funny - in any way.

Look guys - most of us have been friends for years. We KNOW no one really means a thing by it. Folks deal with stress in lots of different ways. I've heard people crack morbid jokes during Code Blue events (I hate this and have said so before, but I understand it's coming from stress and folks use humor to deal with it).

No one needs to apologize for anything. But there are a number of places where this virus is killing a lot of folks - and is really really bad. If that's not what someone else is experiencing, that's awesome. But you are lucky. Because there are places where it's every bit as bad as advertised (and not just for 70+ year olds) and we're a long site away from being able to say the threat was overblown. I am fearful to go to work because I have significant respiratory problems and it's in my current place of employment. My wife works there. It really isn't funny - in any way.

John, I hope you know I respect you, and I agree in the main. I hope you are and continue to be well, but let's compare this to the Spanish flu of the early 20th century, or Ebola of about 10-15 years ago. The mortality rates are nowhere near as high, nor will they be. I understand that things will spike with covid 19, but the numbers will ultimately plateau underneath. If you are not extremely young, or old, or immuno-compromised, you will most likely live through this with at most some relatively short-term discomfort at worst.

Last edited:
The problem with having a self-centric point of view like that (well, if you aren't at risk of death, not as big a deal) is it ignores how these pathogens work. Yes, you may be fine. What about those you unintentionally transmit the pathogen to?

The whole point of taking this sort of thing seriously is to stop it from having a chance to transmit. Social distancing, quarantining, proper cleaning...they are used to make it so other people don't get the pathogen from unknowing carriers. It does work, it just needs to be followed.

Every person that goes "well it's not that big a deal if you are healthy and younger!" and acts in that manner, is at a high risk of putting others in danger through their carelessness. Other pathogens are absolutely more deadly. This one is new, and transmits easily right now, why risk it if it isn't necessary? If people took accountability for themselves, and ensured they were taking appropriate measures, then people could continue their jobs and all that. Unfortunately stricter measures are used as the likelihood of people thinking it doesn't apply to them is pretty high, all because they are only thinking about how it will impact them explicitly. The stricter measures take out the error that behavior introduces.

Once again my brothers (and sisters) my best wishes for your continued health and well-being. 4 am starts are brutal, so nighty-nite. See ya in the threads tomorrow, or some other time. Be well. C ya.

The problem with having a self-centric point of view like that (well, if you aren't at risk of death, not as big a deal) is it ignores how these pathogens work. Yes, you may be fine. What about those you unintentionally transmit the pathogen to?

The whole point of taking this sort of thing seriously is to stop it from having a chance to transmit. Social distancing, quarantining, proper cleaning...they are used to make it so other people don't get the pathogen from unknowing carriers. It does work, it just needs to be followed.

Every person that goes "well it's not that big a deal if you are healthy and younger!" and acts in that manner, is at a high risk of putting others in danger through their carelessness. Other pathogens are absolutely more deadly. This one is new, and transmits easily right now, why risk it if it isn't necessary? If people took accountability for themselves, and ensured they were taking appropriate measures, then people could continue their jobs and all that. Unfortunately stricter measures are used as the likelihood of people thinking it doesn't apply to them is pretty high, all because they are only thinking about how it will impact them explicitly. The stricter measures take out the error that behavior introduces.

At the risk of sounding narcissistic and self-absorbed, I again submit that this will ultimately prove to be less virulent than the two pathogens I mentioned in an earlier post. I hope I am not proven wrong..

This raises a question I have really wondered about
If person A is carrying it, and person B is around that carrier, but person B is healthy enough not to be affected by it, even though person B is not really sick, can they actually carry it from person A, to another person C ?
In other words, if you're healthy enough not to get it, can you actually "carry it" to someone else ?

If person A is carrying it, and person B is around that carrier, but person B is healthy enough not to be affected by it, even though person B is not really sick, can they actually carry it from person A, to another person C ?
In other words, if you're healthy enough not to get it, can you actually "carry it" to someone else ?

Part 2 of my questions that have lingered for a while, but have yet to get an answer, because everytime I ask it, the other person goes into a full rage and does not answer the question rationally.

But people keep saying that the reason we're taking these restrictive measures, is because it's a new, novel virus, that is very deadly.
But we have had new, novel viruses before that have been more deadly than this one, but we did not take anywhere near these restrictive measures.
Why is that ?

Definitely a valid concern. Not to discount your query brother, because I know YOU know where I'm coming from, but call me fatalistic; what will be, will be. When the dust finally settles, I believe - without any evidence to support my claim - that this is, as the Bard once wrote, much ado about nothing.

There is evidence of asymptomatic spreading. So yes, it is not a matter of being affected by it to know if you can spread it, you could be "fine" per se, yet carry it to somebody else.

Again, it is important to know how pathogens work. Symptoms shown are the body's reaction to an infection. If your body doesn't react that way, you can have the infection, yet not show the same symptoms as others. There is the "common" set of symptoms to diagnose by, but there is variance. In the end, the important takeaway is: symptoms are not the only marker of infection, and definitely don't say whether one can be a transmitter of disease.

Part 2 of my questions that have lingered for a while, but have yet to get an answer, because everytime I ask it, the other person goes into a full rage and does not answer the question rationally.

But people keep saying that the reason we're taking these restrictive measures, is because it's a new, novel virus, that is very deadly.
But we have had new, novel viruses before that have been more deadly than this one, but we did not take anywhere near these restrictive measures.
Why is that ?
It's about mitigating risk. An apt analogy I have seen recently: If somebody gave you 100 skittles, and told you only 3 of them would kill you, are you going to just snack on them and take the chance? Or are you going to just do your best to avoid the skittles?

It's deadly enough, and spreading enough, that it is putting people at a fairly high risk. There is a pretty high kill percentage among the 50+ age group, higher still on 60+. It is new, and because of how China handled things in the beginning, it spread out and is very obviously easily getting through the population. Risk mitigation strategies will try to stop it, or you will have a host of dead on your hands. That's what people want to avoid.

And while it is easier to say "what will be, will be"...it isn't very helpful, and active negligence is often as bad as malfeasance, even if it comes from a different place. Not going to assume intent of anybody, but that is the optics.

Even if someone does not get notably sick - you are still contaminated. I could put my hands on a table where someone with COVID-19 infection coughed (who may not be symptomatic or even aware they have it) and I can then transmit it to myself or others. You don't have to be sick to transmit it to answer your question.

Guys - I did specifically mention that I have a problem with the 'it's just the flu' vs. 'We're all gonna die' discussion. Like a lot of places on the internet, all it represents is a bunch of non-medical people referencing what they've read on the internet or basing an opinion on what they've seen in their locale, or possibly based on their world view.

People - significant #'s of them - are dying right now. Don't tell me about flu numbers (I know them 13,000 - 60,000 die from flu or flu-related illness every year in the US - those are CDC numbers). We don't have a vaccine for this. We don't even have proven antiviral or other treatments for it. It's dangerous. The US death total doubled today to more than 2,000. We will with certainty be in flu mortality range soon and it could get much worse.. I have friends working with these patients. Right. Now. It's not a theoretical discussion for me and I believe others have already stated they have friends with serious illness from it.

I don't think it's appropriate to minimize this thing in any way (even if that's 'not your intention') and if I keep hearing it done in this thread I will just close it down. Sorry... but I feel strongly that this is no time to be diminishing the threat or trying to put death rates into some kind of 'acceptable' context.

It’s hard to understand how anyone could make those statements Chief, which are beyond the pale disrespectful given tens of thousands of deaths already attributed to COVID-19.

While everyone has a ‘right to an opinion’, in this community we aren’t going ‘have at one another’, we aren’t going to have any ‘it’s just a bad cold’ vs. ‘we’re all gonna die’ battles, and we aren’t going to have people posting wild conspiracy theories. There are plenty of other places to show one’s *** if so desired. We are going to share information, support each other, and be kind to each other - or we won’t converse about it at all.
reading numbers on a screen doesnt make the amount real or true.
who says i'm not being supportive? I'm an adult and will speak my mind.
Howdy y'all. So with the Covid 19 thang (OMG! We're ALL gonna die!!!) sports are of course suspended...cuz yeah. ESPN is televising replays of MLB?!? WTF?? Is the death flu also insomniatic? I mean, the original base-bore games were bad enough - now I'm supposed to watch them again? Miss me with that drama.
my local portland station was playing past final 4 basketball games

At the end of the day, were family, family disagrees, family argues, doesn't mean ones sentiment is right and others are wrong, I'll say this, I have a very dark sense of humor, even if this doesn't kill us all, the economic impact alone is problematic enough for even me to shut my mouth. People are scared, whether thats deserving or not is irrelevant when theres no paychecks coming to what will be 5 million plus next week as they await help....for now...my ask is create a new thread to discuss the panic aspect of this, I kind of viewed this thread as a "what's happening in my neighborhood and how are you doing thread" not a let's get down in the weeds. I'll gladly discuss and debate but let's keep this thread, a little more understanding of everyone's situation. Now I'm not a moderator or even relevant but I did stay at a holiday inn express.....last year....I was at home yesterday.

Wow. As Spear said, I meant no disrespect. I apologize to those who have lost loved ones, or are suffering from this pandemic. My point, albeit stated indirectly, stands however; this whole thing has been blown WAY out of proportion thanks to today's news cycle and lack of other items thereof. To wit: my Pappy often quipped "ain't none of us gonna get off this rock alive." Death comes for us all, no matter what. Let's enjoy the time we are given, and not sweat over the petty stuff. Let's pet the sweaty stuff. Cheers.
sorry, bud. but your quips dont hold water here. I have a friend fighting for his life right now, know several people who have caught it, and have cases in my very township. your point and thought of "this is blown out of proportion" is just yours. just because YOU believe it, doesn't mean it is true or should be pushed on to others. The stats are there, the nurses and doctors say it themselves. Believe it or dont. Just dont try to minimize or push your opinion as fact.

Mike, I dont think they're downplaying personal situations and impact, just that people have differing opinions of the situation. I do, just not posting those here, you've probably seen my sarcastic fb posts, but were people in different states, different perspectives and that's ok. But this thread is losing civility amongst many. This s*** sucks overalI, ones point is just as important as the others, think everyone is aware of that, let's not let discourse turn into a mob.

"this is blown our of proportion" doesn't seem like downplaying to you?

"that this is, as the Bard once wrote, much ado about nothing." is not sarcastic and downplaying?

Yes it is. It 100% is. This is people telling others that because THEY don't believe it it isn't legit. Sorry, but I might be for discussion. But, I am not about that.

Not advising anyone on how to feel, handle or understand the current climate but we all handle things in different ways. As far as downplaying or blown out of proportion, none of us know yet but it's starting to turn into whose right or wrong, instead of what's happening. Emotions are high, good to have emotions, means were alive, but we all have something in common here, the site is still open thanks to Boone, Om, and Neo and our own patronage, let's at least for a moment, let the comments we disagree with go....we dont have to have rebuttal, unless we choose to.

You just told me in the previous post how to take what they were saying. now you aren't? Come on, man. If you don't want to be involved with it, don't.

but, to hear people basically saying "calm down, you're overreacting" is never a good thing when you are trying to have a discussion.

but, you do you. I'll do me. Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.