• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Coronavirus - COVID19

WESTERLY, RI — The Rhode Island National Guard started going door to door on Saturday in coastal areas to inform any New Yorkers who may have come to the state that they must self-quarantine for 14 days while Gov. Gina Raimondo expanded the mandatory self-quarantine to anyone visiting the state.

If New Yorkers don’t comply, they face fines and jail time, Raimondo said, adding that that’s not the goal.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbot on Thursday joined other states in imposing quarantines on air travelers from the New York area, including New Jersey and Connecticut, and New Orleans, two places where COVID-19 outbreak is more severe. The Republican said travelers who don’t comply with the 14-day quarantine risk jail time, adding that state troopers would conduct visits to make sure people were staying put.

Yeah, it is getting pretty scary out there. The National Guard is now informing people to stay indoors for 14 days.

1585495202234.png

reading numbers on a screen doesnt make the amount real or true.
who says i'm not being supportive? I'm an adult and will speak my mind.

my local portland station was playing past final 4 basketball games
I've already discussed this with you privately. I have 25 years of healthcare experience - so please don't address me as if I have no insight. As I've said repeatedly (both here and via PM), of course everyone is free to believe/say whatever they like. But this is a privately-owned website that is available at no cost to our members. We will decide what conversations are consistent with our values. There are plenty of other alternative sites out there if that rubs anyone the wrong way. Literally all we have asked is for folks to show some sensitivity and refrain from suggesting this crisis is manufactured or vastly overblown. I don't think that's asking a lot.

How is that the U.S. has the worst scenario in the world, the worst containment, the most cases, and the most deaths ?
I think there's more to it, than just our population. Because there are other nations just as populated that don't have it this bad, or spread this much.
Seems our technology and our medical system is way over-rated.

The US has the greatest healthcare system in the world. There are a lot of factors that influence infection rates. We have numerous large cities (which is where the majority of our infections/deaths are happening). We are the epicenter of the business world and have/had more travel in and out of any large nation in the world. We are the world's largest open democracy.

The US has the greatest healthcare system in the world

100% disagree.
Countless times I have seen people (who have the money to do it) leave this nation totally disatisfied with the treatment of chronic illness, to go to another country, often a 3rd world country, to get actually more effective treatment for certain conditions.

100% disagree.
Countless times I have seen people (who have the money to do it) leave this nation totally disatisfied with the treatment of chronic illness, to go to another country, often a 3rd world country, to get actually more effective treatment for certain conditions.
that is a personal opinion and not one backed up by fact.

Lol... okay Fear. You survey every physician from Pakistan, India, and Africa why they are in the US practicing and not in the cutting edge superior 3rd world environments. Let me know how that goes.

Lol... okay Fear. You survey every physician from Pakistan, India, and Africa why they are in the US practicing and not in the cutting edge superior 3rd world environments. Let me know how that goes.

I can address that actually with a non-political answer.
International doctors go to the U.S. - not because we do an excellent job of treating patients. But for self-serving reasons. They make more money.
Just because they come here and they make more money does not mean patients are getting better treatment.
Even our very own Reuben Foster had to go to South America, in a cocaine-infested, cartel-infested country, just to get proper treatment to recover from a knee injury.
I respect your experience and opinion in the medical industry, but at the same time, I have a lot of relevant exposure to medical practice myself, for various reasons.

I'm trying to respond in a way that isn't disrespectful Fear - and I'm drawing a blank. It boggles my mind that you believe this. I guess what I'll say is, reading **** on the internet does not equate to knowledge or experience. You are out of your depth here. And yes - that's the kind version. I think you've just successfully driven me from this thread.

I can address that actually with a non-political answer.
International doctors go to the U.S. - not because we do an excellent job of treating patients. But for self-serving reasons. They make more money.
Just because they come here and they make more money does not mean patients are getting better treatment.
Even our very own Reuben Foster had to go to South America, in a cocaine-infested, cartel-infested country, just to get proper treatment to recover from a knee injury.
I respect your experience and opinion in the medical industry, but at the same time, I have a lot of relevant exposure to medical practice myself, for various reasons.
"had to go" no he didn't. He went there because he wanted to. I see nothing that says in any form that he "had to go" to Colombia to get treatment.

I am not sure why you keep making this blanket general statements that are so easily disproved. You need to have actual facts, actual stats, and come with those unless you want to get them shot through repeatedly.

There are less expensive systems outside the US and there are less restrictive systems outside the US. The expense has a lot to do with the way our system operates in total. The restriction is mostly from the government and designed to keep each and every one of us safe from becoming unsuspecting human lab rats.

Having said that, I don't think that when it comes to the staff and the medical care provided by them that you can find better anywhere on earth than you can in the US and if one of my kids were seriously ill with something life-threatening, there is no place else I would want them to be than a hospital in this country.

I can only think of two reasons to leave the US for treatment:

1. To get an elective procedure done that insurance will not cover and would be cost-prohibitive in the US. I know these happen but the keyword here is "elective."
2. To get access to treatment programs not yet approved for use in this country where the patient's diagnosis is somewhere between extremely grim and terminal. I have known more than one cancer patient who fell into this category and their doctors recommended some sort of experimental treatment overseas (almost always in Europe, btw) that just wasn't available in the US because it didn't yet have FDA approval.

How is that the U.S. has the worst scenario in the world, the worst containment, the most cases, and the most deaths ?
I think there's more to it, than just our population. Because there are other nations just as populated that don't have it this bad, or spread this much.
We're actually 6th in deaths. Considering we have about 100 million more people than all of those countries ahead of us combined (excluding China) and we lead the world in cases, I think we've done pretty great. Even with us having far more people, the infection rate in those countries is four times higher than it is here. And before anyone jumps all over that number, this is based on the number of confirmed cases currently being reported.

As far as countries our size, we're the third most populated country in the world. Only China and India have more people. The next 5 largest countries after us didn't report their first case until last week. We have a huge head start on them. (and those countries have between 64-163 million people less than we do.)

One of my favorite artists ever - John Prine - is on a vent with coronavirus. So sad.

Joe Diffie lost his battle.

We had our first confirmed death in my county today. an 80 year old man lost his battle today. I don't know the name yet, but with the size of this community I am sure I will within the week. Damn sad.

I do not subscribe to everything in this article. But there is more that I do, than don't.
I'm not interested in debating any of it. It just provides an alternate view to the prevailing one.
Use it as you wish.

I’m just gonna be nice today and keep my thoughts to myself. But don’t get used to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.