• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

C-A-P-S

I knew once we went into OT it was toast, physical game we should've won

Ffs.

I couldn’t watch because I was on a plane. Thankfully.

Once we we're up 3-0 I told my buddies that this would end with us gassing out early and boy what a shit show the rest of the game

4 straight seasons. 4 straight Round 1 losses.

Too old, too slow, not talented enough, not hungry enough. Too much money spent on players past their prime.

Agree with that. They have some young talent, but they coaches never play them. McMichael got 3 minutes of ice time in game 6. I’m no hockey guru, but I don’t see him making the same boneheaded mistakes I see from some of these vets that are under achieving. Why not give him more chances and see what happens?

Also, the John Carlson era needs to be over. Nothing but love for what he’s done in DC, but he’s reaching the Larry Murphy, Kevin Hatcher, Sergei Gonchar, Mike Green, territory. I’m sure he has some left in the tank and could win in some other places like most of the guys listed above. But he’s such a liability now on defense and is just frustrating to watch. I’m not big into plus minus stats, but he was a -4 last night in a 4-3 game. And I know on 2 of the goals, including the OT loser, he didn’t mark his man and that guy scored.

So disappointing that neither the Nationals nor the Capitals, having risen up and seized a championship, could follow that up by seriously contending for another one. Both teams had windows. Seems like DC teams, even when everything lines up perfectly for one glorious year, can't sustain that kind of excellence. I am still scratching my head over how the Capitals, having finally won a Stanley Cup, let Barry Trotz leave. And the Caps, winning one cup with a generational player (in the discussion for greatest of all time), is just unforgiveable. The Caps have to have the record for most 1st round playoff exits as a franchise.

Anyway - said it before - it takes everything I have to sustain my Washington football fandom. I don't know how you guys who root for the Nats, Caps, and even the Wizards do it.

So disappointing that neither the Nationals nor the Capitals, having risen up and seized a championship, could follow that up by seriously contending for another one. Both teams had windows. Seems like DC teams, even when everything lines up perfectly for one glorious year, can't sustain that kind of excellence. I am still scratching my head over how the Capitals, having finally won a Stanley Cup, let Barry Trotz leave. And the Caps, winning one cup with a generational player (in the discussion for greatest of all time), is just unforgiveable. The Caps have to have the record for most 1st round playoff exits as a franchise.

Anyway - said it before - it takes everything I have to sustain my Washington football fandom. I don't know how you guys who root for the Nats, Caps, and even the Wizards do it.

I agree with you. I think their best chance to win was the year after they won the Cup. They lost in a game 7 double OT to the Canes. The season after breaking every curse, it was a return to the ways of the Capitals in the most Capitals way ever, losing 2 in a row to close out the series including a Game 7 home OT loss. I think they could have had a deep run with that team though. Since then, it's been just been fading away. The league was top heavy this year, which is why they made the playoffs. Lots of bad teams to beat up on and the distance between them and the Islanders was pretty massive in the wild card hunt. But being the playoffs, there is always hope. They had games 4 and 5 for the taking and couldn't do it. Even with the late momentum in game 6 to get to OT, they couldn't do it.

As far as Trotz, that whole situation was messy even before they won the Cup. After their round 1 win against Columbus, he told Tortorella he was done in DC. They win the Cup and now it's a huge mess. But I'll borrow one your lines about letting go of football players. What did he do elsewhere? He was already fired by the Islanders. So while I wish it could have worked out and like to think they could have made it work and maximized their championship window, he didn't go to the Islanders and dominate the league. He will get another shot and maybe he will win another Cup. But he's unemployed now.

Baring some massive changes, I think for Caps fans, we are just on the 895 watch now. They may make the playoffs because they still have a lot of talent, even if a lot is old, but it's all about Ovechkin catching Gretzky in a Caps sweater at this point.

Baring some massive changes, I think for Caps fans, we are just on the 895 watch now. They may make the playoffs because they still have a lot of talent, even if a lot is old, but it's all about Ovechkin catching Gretzky in a Caps sweater at this point.

I said this while we were talking hockey after we recorded our last podcast... .the night we blew the 3-0 lead in game 5.

I think we're in a position to 'contend' for about 2 or 3 more years as currently constructed... but we're going to need a major upgrade at goaltender if we hope to have any 'real' success.

We were better than Florida in this series, nobody can tell me different. We were making them play the same type of hockey that extinguished us for so many years when we were president trophy winners.

I just hope Tampa doesn't win again, I'm so tired of their fair weather fans down here

We were better than Florida in this series, nobody can tell me different. We were making them play the same type of hockey that extinguished us for so many years when we were president trophy winners.

I was thinking this exact thing during several games this series. I kind of forgot about it after blowing a late game 4 lead to lose in OT, a blown 3-0 lead in game 5, then another OT loss to lose the series. But it was very reminiscent of what happened to the Caps so many years with the exception of the final results in the games I listed above. Even down to the powerless power play for Florida. It really is a shame they couldn’t pull this one off.

This is likely the end of Nick’s career. Sad if so. There is not enough duct tape and bailing wire to keep the aging core together.

Sad it's gonna end this way. We got hurt bad in the playoffs. I'm worried about Wilson, too.

Darcy Kuemper formerly of the AV's joins the Caps on a 5 year deal, competent goal tending, what is that???

The Capitals rounded out their goaltending tandem by inking Charlie Lindgren to a three-year deal carrying an average annual value of $1.1 million.

We also signed Gustafson to a 1 year $800k deal.

Not a bad day

I asked this question to a friend of mine

Is Ovi the greatest athlete to play in DC ever?

I asked this question to a friend of mine

Is Ovi the greatest athlete to play in DC ever?

I think he's the only athlete to ever be in the coversation of 'best ever.'

There is literally only ONE professional hockey players that's EVER scored more goals than him. His accomplishments in hockey are along the same lines of Babe Ruth in baseball. Adrian Peterson in football, Steph Curry in basketball.
1667561287360.png

these are his accomplshiments. Hart trophy is MVP, he's been in the top 10, 10 times, winning it 3, and came in second once. The dude is truly Elite. He's one of the best to ever lace them up... not just locally, GLOBALLY.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.