• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: The Mock Drafts, 2014 (Continual Updates)

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Like previous years, BBQ will do a series of mock drafts and will provide continual updates based on team needs, free agency additions/losses, and injuries. Another mock will posted in mid March (after free agency opens) and will be updated weekly at that juncture. The frequency of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft and it will be a daily feature in the final week. Feel free to add your own ideas and mocks as we go along.

Trying to get a feel for what a new coach will do in free agency and the draft is difficult. There is no track record, so BBQ is looking strictly at team needs and making educated guesses based on team/coach statements and what some insiders have said. Putting together a collection of talent from the college ranks by BBQ typically starts in October, but some of that research took a hit when the old regime was let go and a new coach was hired. Hopefully we can do a good job with the mocks

More...

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Drafts, 2014 (Continual Updates)

Like previous years, BBQ will do a series of mock drafts and will provide continual updates based on team needs, free agency additions/losses, and injuries. Another mock will posted in mid March (after free agency opens) and will be updated weekly at that juncture. The frequency of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft and it will be a daily feature in the final week. Feel free to add your own ideas and mocks as we go along.

Trying to get a feel for what a new coach will do in free agency and the draft is difficult. There is no track record, so BBQ is looking strictly at team needs and making educated guesses based on team/coach statements and what some insiders have said. Putting together a collection of talent from the college ranks by BBQ typically starts in October, but some of that research took a hit when the old regime was let go and a new coach was hired. Hopefully we can do a good job with the mocks – your help is needed and the input from members at BGO will be incorporated in future mocks. Thanks for your help.

Team needs are OL, WR, DL, MLB, CB, FS, and ST. Some of these issues could be settled (somewhat) in free agency, but we will address those potential signings in future mocks. The format is a bit different than what we have seen in the past. In each round, other candidates for selection are featured. Let’s get this first mock in the books.

Round Two: Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
Richardson is a big guard who can pull effectively and provide superb pass protection. Robert Griffin, III puts a good word in for his former teammate.

Other Possibilities:
Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

Round Three: Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
The best pure route runner in the draft is a big bodied Badger who puts up large and consistent numbers. He would start sooner rather than later.

Other Possibilities:
Keith McGill, CB, Utah
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State

Round Four: Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech
In other years, Ellis would grade out as a second rounder. The deepest draft ever has him dropping to the fourth round and Redskins get a steal at a vital position.

Other Possibilities:
Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee
Brent Urban, DE, Virginia
Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt
Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

Round Five: Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State
Bullough grades much higher, but a deep draft and a couple of issues drops him to the fifth round. The issues are behind him and the Spartan looks to replace London Fletcher.

Other Possibilities:
Charles Leno, Jr., OT, Boise State
James Hurst, OT, North Carolina
Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia
Jordan Zumwalt, ILB/OLB, UCLA

Round Six: Spencer Long, G, Nebraska
Injury concerns lower his expectations, but the Redskins take with the idea that he needs a year to heal. Without the injuries, this Cornhusker goes in the early rounds.

Other Possibilities:
Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
DeAndre Coleman, DE/DT, California
Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State
T.J. Jones, WR, Notre Dame

Round Seven: Jordan Najvar, TE, Baylor
He rarely got targeted by the Bears as they usually don't feature tight ends in the pass happy offense. When Najvar was targeted, he produced and put up good numbers. An excellent blocker and a superior special teamer is hard to pass up in the seventh round.

Other Possibilities:
Shaquil Barrett, OLB, Colorado State
Dontae Johnson, FS, N.C. State
Tim Flanders, RB, Sam Houston State
Glenn Carson, ILB, Penn State

UDFAs:
Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
Keith Price, QB, Washington
Zack Kerr, DT, Delaware
Andrew Rodriguez, OG, Nebraska
Ricky Havili-Heimuli, DE/DT, Oregon
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Steele Divitto, ILB, Boston College
Jerome Smith, RB, Syracuse
Chris Whaley, DE, Texas
Zac Kerin, C, Toledo
Jonathan Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky
Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin
Alfred Blue, RB, LSU
Matt Hall, OT, Belhaven

BBQ would like to see the team trade down in the second and third rounds. Many of these players would still be available and other gems could be added. Future mocks will take a look at trades and who would be targeted for selection.

One final note: Most mocks have Cyrus Kouandjio (OT, Alabama) going in the first or second rounds. BBQ has been able to learn that there are serious injury concerns and he could not be drafted at all. Adding him as an UDFA could be a steal by placing him on IR this year and letting him compete in the future.

If we get Ellis and Bullough in rounds four and five, I will pee myself with happiness. Lol.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Love your work BB, from what I've seen, it's a pretty thankless task doing mock drafts so really appreciate the insight. Amazing how quickly things change re player stock. A few months ago Boyd was being mentioned among the top 5-8 QB's in all the pods/articles I was following. Have there been concerns raised? Similarly, Bortles is now apparently a top 5 overall pick!

Starting to view these draft boards as slightly Akira-esque in formation; freakish, accelerated examples of lurching evolution. No idea what the finished beast will look like, but you can't take your eyes off its growth.

Interesting info on Kouandijo. What a shame for the kid, must be gutting. Even if injury is a bad one, surely still too much talent for every team to let him slip to UDFA. Surely someone will get an itchy trigger finger 5th-7th?!

Last edited:
One final note: Most mocks have Cyrus Kouandjio (OT, Alabama) going in the first or second rounds. BBQ has been able to learn that there are serious injury concerns and he could not be drafted at all. Adding him as an UDFA could be a steal by placing him on IR this year and letting him compete in the future.

Even with the prospect of being a first or second rounder, I don't like the type of move you mention. I want every pic to be somebody that can contribute or compete for a spot this season. I don't think now is the time for projects / potential....

The frequency of Mocks at my house usually increases as I get more naked.

Srsly tho. Thanks for all the hard work, Burner!

Even with the prospect of being a first or second rounder, I don't like the type of move you mention. I want every pic to be somebody that can contribute or compete for a spot this season. I don't think now is the time for projects / potential....

He did say as an UDFA, not a pick...

BB....sweet!

I get it that this is just straight-up draft pre-FA subject to downstream change. In that context, I would have gone RT with the first pick. Why did you elect guard? Strictly based on talent? Or simply the Baylor bubba network?

Al, I went with OL (a guard) first only because of the need and his talent/size. He is a great prospect. I really think RT will be addressed in FA. If it isn't, then future mocks will certainly feature a RT prospect or two.

Yes, I am featuring Kouandijo as a possible UDFA for the Redskins. Stashing him on IR for a year could be an option, but if these stories are true, there is no need to spend a pick on him.

Lanky, don't be surprised if those two fall that far. It can happen in what is probably the deepest draft ever.

Thanks for all the kind words. Keep you thoughts and ideas coming - your input is very much appreciated and can certainly be incorporated as we go along.

Great work, BB. As usual!!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

And here is the first update on the same day the first BBQ mock of 2014 is posted. :)

Here are the college prospects that the Redskins met with individually

at the East-West Shrine game, the Senior Bowl, and the NFL Combine.

EW = East-West game.
SR = Senior Bowl.
COM = Combine
1 = More than one meeting.

Jordan Matthews, WR - Vanderbilt (COM)
Max Bullough, LB - Michigan State (EW)
Justin Ellis, DL - Louisiana Tech (EW)
Timothy Flanders, RB - Sam Houston State (EW)
Charles Leno, Jr., OT - Boise State (SR) (EW) (1)
Keith McGill, DB, Utah - (SR) (EW)
Shaquille Richardson, CB - Arizona (EW)
Cyril Richardson, OG, - Baylor (COM)
Michael Campanaro, WR - Wake Forest (COM)
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB - Nebraska (COM)
Odell Beckham, Jr., WR - LSU (COM)
Ja'Wuan James, OT, - LSU (COM)
Jimmie Ward, S, - Northern Illinois (SR)

He did say as an UDFA, not a pick...

Yes he did, so let me rephrase...

Weather it be a draft pic, supplemental, UDFA, or gift from God, I don't want anybody brought in that can't be in OTA's, or training camp, and compete for a spot on the final roster or practice squad. We have a ton of holes, and beyond that, need quality depth. I've said it a thousand times....

Availability is everything. I want people ready to play now.

I could definitely live with that draft BB. Now If we grab a solid RT in FA that would be one helluva draft IMHO.

not a news flash - but that list tells me at least one FA signing is going to be a Safety.

A Saturday morning, first of the month update...

Here are the college prospects that the Redskins met with individually at the East-West Shrine game, the Senior Bowl, and the NFL Combine.

EW = East-West game
SR = Senior Bowl
COM = Combine
1 = More than one meeting

Jordan Matthews, WR - Vanderbilt (COM)
Max Bullough, ILB - Michigan State (EW) (COM) (1)
Justin Ellis, DT/NT - Louisiana Tech (EW)
Timothy Flanders, RB - Sam Houston State (EW)
Charles Leno, Jr., OT - Boise State (SR) (EW) (1)
Keith McGill, CB, Utah - (SR) (EW)
Shaquille Richardson, CB - Arizona (EW)
Cyril Richardson, OG, - Baylor (SR) (COM) (1)
Michael Campanaro, WR - Wake Forest (COM)
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB - Nebraska (COM)
Odell Beckham, Jr., WR - LSU (COM)
Ja'Wuan James, OT, - LSU (COM)
Jimmie Ward, FS, - Northern Illinois (SR)
Jon Halapio, OG, - Florida (COM)
Kyle Van Noy, OLB - BYU (COM)
Brandon Coleman, WR - Rutgers (COM)
Antone Exum, CB - Virginia Tech (COM)
Ahmad Dixon, SS, - Baylor (SR) (COM) (1)
Kelvin Benjamin, WR - Florida State (COM)

Great info as always BB :cheers:

BB...I know this is asking for a lot....but maybe someone like you or Serv could look into commonalities by position. for example, are the guards they are looking at all over some weight/height/arm length profile, or do they all come from more pass oriented schemes, etc.

Much of that figures into my research. When thinking of OL (Shanahan rarely drafted this position) under the previous regime, I looked for slightly undersized, nimble type players. With the new staff, I am looking more at bulky OL players who could fit the mold. Each position is receiving this kind of attention. Another example is CB and the taller, bigger players at that position which is now favored by the team. So yes, I am trying to fit the players into the scheme.

BB...I know this is asking for a lot....but maybe someone like you or Serv could look into commonalities by position. for example, are the guards they are looking at all over some weight/height/arm length profile, or do they all come from more pass oriented schemes, etc.

I'll have some info for you shortly-I'm starting to dig around various draft profiles and analyses of Leno, James, Richardson and Halapio to find similarities and differences. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I'll present what I found

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.