• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: The Mock Drafts, 2014 (Continual Updates)

I'd love a draft with those areas targeted BB.

I don't see how your second round scenario can possibly happen though. 2 second rounders, simply by trading out of the top of the 2nd, to later in the second I assume?

It may work on the Jimmy Johnson draft value schedule, but I don't see any team realistically giving up their 2nd rounder next year to take ours this year. I believe an extra 3rd rounder may happen though.

But I love the work, and your draft would be loaded with big linemen. It would be huge.

As always.....A+ for effort!!

Question: what if Gruden determines during OTAs that one of the previous o-line drafts meets his needs. Does this change things?

From my perspective, I'm fine waiting to draft a lineman until the third, but not much after that. At this point, with how awful Polumbus looked (there's a joke in there about him being confused about searching for the New World instead of actually blocking, but I'm not awake enough to make it yet), the fans need to be appeased to a certain degree. And beyond that, depth on the OLine is almost always needed. Most of the picks need to be made for the D, imo; with some OLine picks strung in there as well.

Question: what if Gruden determines during OTAs that one of the previous o-line drafts meets his needs. Does this change things?

It could, but I don't think so.

I don't see how your second round scenario can possibly happen though. 2 second rounders, simply by trading out of the top of the 2nd, to later in the second I assume?

But I love the work, and your draft would be loaded with big linemen. It would be huge.

Teams like SF (they have two lower second round selections) have been trading up in recent years. The Redskins would be a perfect target for such a scenario and if a perceived first rounder fell to us, a team could move up.

Based on FA, it looks like we could be targeting the big uglies in large numbers.

BB,

Looking around the web I came across some fans mentioning Deone Bucannon,S, out of Washington State.

6'1"/ 211/ 4.49 40

Is he on the Skins radar...say somewhere in rounds 2-4?

Trying to figure out how a Gruden/Allen draft and FA will go has been very challenging. He certainly could be a target. We were totally surprised at the moves in the early days of FA. The draft could be a similar story. Trying to figure out a Shanahan draft was challenging, but this is maddening nowadays. :)

Here are the college prospects that the Redskins have met with individually at the East-West Shrine game, the Senior Bowl, the NFL Combine, College/University Pro Days, and privately.

EW = East-West game
SR = Senior Bowl
COM = Combine
PRO = College/University Pro Day
PRI = Private Meeting
1 = More than one meeting

Jordan Matthews, WR - Vanderbilt (COM)
Max Bullough, ILB - Michigan State (EW) (COM) (1)
Justin Ellis, DT/NT - Louisiana Tech (EW)
Timothy Flanders, RB - Sam Houston State (EW)
Charles Leno, Jr., OT - Boise State (SR) (EW) (1)
Keith McGill, CB, Utah - (SR) (EW)
Shaquille Richardson, CB - Arizona (EW)
Cyril Richardson, OG, - Baylor (SR) (COM) (1)
Michael Campanaro, WR - Wake Forest (COM)
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB - Nebraska (COM)
Odell Beckham, Jr., WR - LSU (COM)
Ja'Wuan James, OT, - LSU (COM)
Jimmie Ward, FS, - Northern Illinois (SR)
Jon Halapio, OG, - Florida (COM)
Kyle Van Noy, OLB - BYU (COM)
Brandon Coleman, WR - Rutgers (COM)
Antone Exum, CB - Virginia Tech (COM)
Ahmad Dixon, SS, - Baylor (SR) (COM) (1)
Kelvin Benjamin, WR - Florida State (COM)
Quandon Christian, ILB - Clemson (PRO)
Scott Crichton, DL - Oregon State (PRI)
Cody Latimer, WR - Indiana (PRI)
Marion Grice, RB - Arizona Sate (PRI)

Last edited:
The list of prospects the Skins have met with is GREAT info! Thanks, BB!

Great post BB. In Fact, really the reason I signed up here was after reading it, loved all the input you provided.

That being said...Not much love for Jimmie Ward (Safety, N. Ill). I'd pretty much jump this dude in the 2nd if he was still around 'cause he will not make it to the 3rd.

My fav @ #34 is Moses cause that's who I think is most likely to be there. Cyril Richardson, kinda a tall guard at 6'5 but I would love him at RT with his pass blocking skills. Would need some footwork there. Might fall to the third. He might be a stretch in the second round - granted that.

If TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins fell far enough (4th or below), and quite possibly could, like him too. I saw him play all over the line and he is a red zone magnet - think Vernon Davis type guy.

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Drafts, 2014 (Continual Updates)​

The BBQ mocks continue as we get a closer look at the prospects. The frequency of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft and it will be a daily feature in the final week. Feel free to add your own ideas and mocks as we go along.

Team needs are OL, DL, MLB, CB, and FS. Some of these issues could be settled (somewhat) in free agency, but we will address those potential signings in future mocks. Each week, there will be mocks with and without trades. The format is a bit different than what we have seen in the past. In each round, other candidates for selection are featured.

Round Two: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
Moses is the latest Virginia product to continue a tradition of quality tackle prospects from President Jefferson’s university. He is a talented player who should fit in at the right tackle position.

Other Possibilities:
Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
Dominique Easley, DE, Florida
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Dion Bailey, S, USC

Round Three: Keith McGill, CB, Utah
The Redskins have met with McGill and they are impressed with his size, speed, and ball hawking skills. He had an impressive showing at the Senior Bowl and continued to showcase his talent at the combine.

Other Possibilities:
Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State

Round Four: Brent Urban, DE, Virginia
The Redskins return to Virginia and pluck an impressive 3-4 defensive end to bolster the line. Urban has enormous upside and would fit into the rotation quickly and could be a starter by mid season.

Other Possibilities:
Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee
Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt
Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

Round Five: Jordan Zumwalt, ILB/OLB, UCLA
Zumwalt is an underrated linebacker and received less press than his heralded teammate (LB Anthony Barr). All he did was put in a solid senior season and had twenty-eight more tackles than Barr. Zumwalt matches well with opposing tight ends and had a pair of interceptions last season.

Other Possibilities:
Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State
Jeoffrey Pagan, DE/DT, Alabama
James Hurst, OT, North Carolina
Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia

Round Six: Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State
One of the higher rated centers in the 2014 draft, Larsen has a nasty streak to him and provides a superb blocking in the running game. Good size, but needs a year to learn the rigors of the NFL and could be an eight to ten year starter on the line thereafter.

Other Possibilities:
Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
DeAndre Coleman, DE/DT, California
T.J. Jones, WR, Notre Dame
Charles Leno, Jr., OT, Boise State

Round Seven: Jordan Najvar, TE, Baylor
He rarely got targeted by the Bears as they rarely feature tight ends in the pass happy offense. When Najvar was targeted, he produced and put up good numbers. An excellent blocker and a superior special teamer is hard to pass up in the seventh round.

Other Possibilities:
Shaquil Barrett, OLB, Colorado State
Dontae Johnson, FS, N.C. State
Tim Flanders, RB, Sam Houston State
Glenn Carson, ILB, Penn State

UDFAs:
Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
Keith Price, QB, Washington
Zack Kerr, DT, Delaware
Andrew Rodriguez, OG, Nebraska
Ricky Havili-Heimuli, DE/DT, Oregon
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Steele Divitto, ILB, Boston College
Jerome Smith, RB, Syracuse
Chris Whaley, DE, Texas
Zac Kerin, C, Toledo
Jonathan Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky
Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin
Alfred Blue, RB, LSU
Matt Hall, OT, Belhaven

One item of note: Most mocks have Cyrus Kouandjio (OT, Alabama) going in the first or second rounds. BBQ has been able to learn that there are serious injury concerns and he could not be drafted at all. Adding him as an UDFA could be a steal by placing him on IR this year and letting him compete in the future.

Once again, feel free to add your own mocks, ideas, and suggestions.

BB,

Looking around the web I came across some fans mentioning Deone Bucannon,S, out of Washington State.

6'1"/ 211/ 4.49 40

Is he on the Skins radar...say somewhere in rounds 2-4?

Living up here in PAC-10 country (yeah I know they changed the name...I don't handle name changes well...) I would compare him to LaRon Landry. Big hitter - for sure. Coverage skills - not what you would want to see in a FS. Not to say he could not tune up, just saying right now, today. Aim a little lower in the rounds and if he is around, OK. Don't take him in the 2nd and think he is gonna jump in and really make a big difference over what they have cooking. IMO - Ward gives the Redskins more of what they could use vs Bucannon. It's not always the best guy available; sometimes it's the best guy available that works for you.

In the; 'For What It's Worth' (or worthless depending on your point of view :twitch:) department; I think the Skins really need to nail rounds 2 & 3 especially considering they do not have a first. Those two guys have to come and do something today that fills a void. An OL guy(s), a CB, an ILB, a guy that can spot in as a FS. Don't know that they need a SS that they might be able to develop on the upper end of the draft. Maybe those two guys that are fortunate enough to get selected by the Redskins in the 2nd & 3rd don't start but they gotta be seeing some turf time.

BB....interesting sidebar question: if you go back to last year's draft...any idea how many of the draftees the Skins actually met? I noticed that the Skins have only met one of the (primary) selectees on your list - McGill. Think of it as looking for a correlation!

Last year, the only (known) pre-draft visit of any player that we selected was Phillip Thomas.

An updated list...

Here are the college prospects that the Redskins have met with individually at the East-West Shrine game, the Senior Bowl, the NFL Combine, College/University Pro Days, and privately.

EW = East-West game
SR = Senior Bowl
COM = Combine
PRO = College/University Pro Day
PRI = Private Meeting
1 = More than one meeting

Jordan Matthews, WR - Vanderbilt (COM)
Max Bullough, ILB - Michigan State (EW) (COM) (1)
Justin Ellis, DT/NT - Louisiana Tech (EW)
Timothy Flanders, RB - Sam Houston State (EW)
Charles Leno, Jr., OT - Boise State (SR) (EW) (1)
Keith McGill, CB, Utah - (SR) (EW)
Shaquille Richardson, CB - Arizona (EW)
Cyril Richardson, OG, - Baylor (SR) (COM) (1)
Michael Campanaro, WR - Wake Forest (COM)
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB - Nebraska (COM)
Odell Beckham, Jr., WR - LSU (COM)
Ja'Wuan James, OT, - LSU (COM)
Jimmie Ward, FS, - Northern Illinois (SR)
Jon Halapio, OG, - Florida (COM)
Kyle Van Noy, OLB - BYU (COM)
Brandon Coleman, WR - Rutgers (COM)
Antone Exum, CB - Virginia Tech (COM)
Ahmad Dixon, SS, - Baylor (SR) (COM) (1)
Kelvin Benjamin, WR - Florida State (COM)
Quandon Christian, ILB - Clemson (PRO)
Scott Crichton, DL - Oregon State (PRI)
Cody Latimer, WR - Indiana (PRI)
Marion Grice, RB - Arizona Sate (PRI)
Marcus Smith, LB - Louisville (PRI)

Last year, the only (known) pre-draft visit of any player that we selected was Phillip Thomas.

wow. I always thought that teams would meet with candidates - especially higher picks - to assess head-cases, adaptability, one-on-one personalities, intelligence, maturity, etc. so this is mostly done second-hand? man o man.

OG, OT, Safety, ILB: makes sense!

Still think a team can't stock enough good CBs. :)

... It's not always the best guy available; sometimes it's the best guy available that works for you.

Astute observation, and the one variable that makes using "measureables" and "draft pundit opinions" and the like rather iffy, IMO, even though it is a lot of fun to try to figure out. Does this guy fit into the Jay Gruden coached Redskins? This is where the "Gruden factor" comes into play-that as yet not completely resolved question, in my mind at least, of just what is Jay G.s strategic view for the team in terms of meshing individual elements into a cohesive unit. The draft will inevitably contain "Oh goody!" moments as well as "WTF?" moments for all of us probably, but at least we'll have a better picture of Gruden's-and Allen's-mental image of the direction the team should go.

Skins met with Cameron Fleming,OT Stanford (6'5 323) today.

They plan to meet with Jack Mewhort,OT Ohio ST (6'6 309) before the draft.

They also plan to meet with Demarcus Lawrence,DE Boise ST (6'3 251) next week.

.@ESPNRadio980 hears #Redskins are planning to have Ohio St OT/OG Jack Mewhort in for a visit before the draft http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jack-mewhort?id=2543744

Mike Jones
Stanford OT Cameron Fleming (6-5, 323) visited #Redskins today, source said.

John Keim
Boise State DE/OLB Demarcus Lawrence is scheduled to visit the Redskins. Believe it will take place next week.

Last edited:
It definitely seems like they are serious about fixing the lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.