• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Draft (Continual Updates)

Oh, I agree, Mike. I would rather keep Carriker myself-he's too valuable to lose IMO. I was just referring to the $3.7 million figure from the perspective that in a normal cap situation that particular amount wouldn't be enough for a good player to even be considered a potential financial liability.

There are others who I would miss less than Carriker if the need to get cap space required them to be let go.

Personally, Mike, I consider the cap mess a worse setback than Griff's knee. That knee will heal-the question is how fast and how well. Griff has an excellent chance of coming back at or very close to his full normal mobility and athleticism. In the interim, if needed, we have a capable and skilled backup QB to use in Cousins. Uh, Alfred Morris anyone? An OL that, despite acknowledged deficiencies performed better than many thought they might. Basically the offense is less of a pothole filled street than the defense and that's where the cap hit hurts worse. No number 1 pick coupled with a crippled ability to work FA makes it more difficult to repair problems in the area-defense-where it is most needed to bring the team up to the type of offensive/defensive skill parity needed to be a consistent playoff threat.

So fs62 and I had lunch last week and I gotta say he might be on to something. I am not saying we ignore the defense altogether, but if we focus most of our resources on making our offense unstoppable...acquiring a quality RT, Jared Cook since he wasn't tagged or maybe even Dustin Keller on top of drafting a TE in say...the 4th round, looking at a small, fast RB to compliment Morris and maybe another top flight WR...focus on making our offense the best in the league. Teams are proving they can be playoff teams with low ranking defenses. Then next year go all in on defense with maybe one or two compliments to the offense in FA since we'll have much more money to spend.

Hell i'd be cool with alternating draft years going offense in one then defense the next. Unless there's a stud FS or CB there with our 2nd i'd just assume we go RT/TE with our first 2 picks.

Just imagine Griff having another few seconds in the pocket to scan the field...then hitting our monster TE or Garcon in stride.

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Draft, Part Two (Continual Updates)

http://bgobsession.com/blog.php?b=516

Like last year, BBQ will do a series of mock drafts and will provide continual updates based on team needs, free agency additions/losses, and injuries. This is the second mock of the new season and it will be updated weekly. The frequency of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft and it will be a daily feature in the final week. Feel free to add your own ideas and mocks as we go along.

Team needs are S, CB, RT, TE, and DL. Some of these issues could be settled (somewhat) in free agency, but we will address those potential signings in future mocks.

Round 2:
Trade – The Redskins have done very little in free agency and will rely on the draft to fill some holes. They choose to trade down to the latter stages of the second round and pick up a late third rounder.

Round 2:
Jonathan Cyprien – Free Safety, Florida International
Considered to be one of the top five free safeties in the draft, Cyprien has an all-around skillset and size to succeed.

Round 3:
Darius Slay – Cornerback, Mississippi St.
One of the stars at the combine actually has superior skills at the corner position. He could start sooner rather than later. Slay is an underrated cornerback prospect who had a solid senior campaign. He has phenomenal speed, good coverage skills, and better than average size.

Round 3:
T.J. McDonald – Safety, Southern California
The Redskins waste no time in upgrading a horrible secondary. McDonald has great size and athleticism.

Round 4:
Tyrann Mathieu – Cornerback, Louisiana St.
When you consider that the Redskins were willing to sign Aqib Talib, it should come as no surprise that they are willing to take a chance on a player who has special skills and a buyer beware tag.

Round 5:
Oday Aboushi – Offensive Tackle, Virginia
Aboushi is not a highly rated prospect, but he has the ability and speed to play quite well in a zone blocking scheme.

Round 5:
Trade – The Redskins use their extra fifth round pick to add late picks in the sixth and seventh rounds.

Round 6:
Stefphon Jefferson – Running Back, Nevada
We don’t need a running back? Ok, that’s fine, but Mike Shanahan has this uncanny habit of finding hidden gems at this position and Jefferson fits the bill. Many scouts are calling him this year’s Alfred Morris. Jefferson’s offense ran the pistol and he had a great year. Enough said.

Round 6:
Montori Hughes – Defensive Tackle, Tennessee-Martin
Hughes comes from a small school, but could have a big impact at the next level. His stats are impressive and he had a very impressive 2012 campaign.

Round 7:
Joseph Fauria – Tight End, UCLA
Fauria had a great senior season and is an excellent red zone target with his height and athleticism. He needs to improve his blocking skills, but his size is an asset in the passing game.

Round 7:
Dalton Freeman – Center, Clemson
Freeman is a raw prospect, but could do a good job in the zone blocking scheme. He would need some time to learn the system and be the eventual replacement for Will Montgomery.

UDFAs:
1. Lucas Reed – TE, New Mexico
2. Elvis Fisher – OT, Missouri
3. Jeff Braun – OT, West Virginia
4. T.J. Barnes – DT, Georgia Tech
5. Steve Greer – ILB, Virginia
6. Trey Wilson – CB, Vanderbilt
7. Alex Dunnachie - P, Hawaii
8. Ray Ray Armstrong – S, Miami
9. James Wilson – G, Florida
10. Mark Jackson – G, Glenville St
11. Miguel Maysonet – RB, Stony Brook
12. Brandon Kaufman – WR, Eastern Washington
13. Rontez Miles – S, California (PA)
14. Tino Sunseri – QB, Pittsburgh
15. Demetrius McCray – CB, Appalachian St
16. Jeff Locke - P, UCLA

Last edited:
Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Draft, Part Three (Continual Updates)

Like last year, BBQ will do a series of mock drafts and will provide continual updates based on team needs, free agency additions/losses, and injuries. This is the third mock of the new season and it will be updated weekly. The frequency of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft and it will be a daily feature in the final week. Feel free to add your own ideas and mocks as we go along.

Team needs are S, CB, RT, TE, and DL. Some of these issues could be settled (somewhat) in free agency, but we will address those potential signings in future mocks.

Round 2:
Trade – The Redskins have done very little in free agency and will rely on the draft to fill some holes. They choose to trade down to the latter stages of the second round and pick up a late third rounder.

Round 2:
T.J. McDonald – Safety, Southern California
The Redskins waste no time in upgrading a horrible secondary. McDonald has great size and athleticism.

Round 3:
Darius Slay – Cornerback, Mississippi St.
One of the stars at the combine actually has superior skills at the corner position. He could start sooner rather than later. Slay is an underrated cornerback prospect who had a solid senior campaign. He has phenomenal speed, good coverage skills, and better than average size.

Round 3:
D.J. Swearinger – Safety, South Carolina
The Redskins continue their upgrades of the secondary with a player who has a bit of a nasty streak about him.

Round 4:
Nick Kasa – Tight End, Colorado
Are the Redskins moving on from Fred Davis? Kasa has a lot of upside and is an intriguing pick.

Round 5:
Aboushi is not a highly rated prospect, but he has the ability and speed to play quite well in a zone blocking scheme.

Round 5:
Trade – The Redskins use their extra fifth round pick to add late picks in the sixth and seventh rounds.

Round 6:
We don’t need a running back? Ok, that’s fine, but Mike Shanahan has this uncanny habit of finding hidden gems at this position and Jefferson fits the bill. Many scouts are calling him this year’s Alfred Morris. Jefferson’s offense ran the pistol and he had a great year. Enough said.

Round 6:
Hughes comes from a small school, but could have a big impact at the next level. His stats are impressive and he had a very impressive 2012 campaign.

Round 7:
Jelani Jenkins – Linebacker, Florida
Jenkins has a lot of talent and speed, but an injury limited him in 2012. The Redskins like the potential and make the pick.

Round 7:
Dalton Freeman – Center, Clemson
Freeman is a raw prospect, but could do a good job in the zone blocking scheme. He would need some time to learn the system and be the eventual replacement for Will Montgomery.

UDFAs:
16. Jeff Locke - P, UCLA

Last edited:
My own gut feeling is that the Redskins WILL take CB or S as the top pick but will not spend 3 of the first 4 picks overall on the secondary.

The team brought in AJ Smith to help with talent evaluation and he loves linemen and receivers in the middle rounds.

So, my take would be:

2. CB or S
3. OT
4. CB or S
5. TE
5. DL
6. ILB
7. RB

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Draft, Part Four (Continual Updates)

Like last year, BBQ will do a series of mock drafts and will provide continual updates based on team needs, free agency additions/losses, and injuries. This is the fourth mock of the new season and it will be updated twice a week for now. The frequency of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft and it will be a daily feature in the final week. Feel free to add your own ideas and mocks as we go along.

Round 2:
Trade – The Redskins have signed most of their own players in free agency and several others. One area of particular need is free safety and the Redskins must draft a player who can make an immediate impact. The Redskins trade up higher in the second round and give up their fourth and seventh rounder.

Round 2:
Johnathan Cyprien – Free Safety, Florida International
Considered to be one of the top five free safeties in the draft, Cyprien has an all-around skillset and size to succeed.

Round 3:
The Redskins trade further down in the third round and pick up a fifth rounder in the process.

Round 3:
Terry Hawthorne – Cornerback, Illinois
Hawthorne has good size and quickness for a CB and is very physical. His performance in the Shrine game boosted his stock.

Round 5:

Round 5:
Trade – The Redskins use their second fifth round pick to add late picks in the sixth and seventh rounds.

Round 5:
Joseph Fauria – Tight End, UCLA
Fauria had a great senior season and is an excellent red zone target with his height and athleticism. He needs to improve his blocking skills, but his size is an asset in the passing game.

Round 6:

Round 6:

Round 7:
Jelani Jenkins – Linebacker, Florida
Jenkins has a lot of talent and speed, but an injury limited him in 2012. The Redskins like the potential and make the pick.

UDFAs:
16. Jeff Locke - P, UCLA
17. Dalton Freeman – C, Clemson

Last edited:
BB, I don't see any chance of Cyprien being on the board when we pick. I hope I'm wrong.....but would be shocked.

That's why I have us trading up for now. The mock will change here and there until draft day. Of course, everyone is invited to post their own mocks in this thread - the more, the merrier.

That's why I have us trading up for now. The mock will change here and there until draft day. Of course, everyone is invited to post their own mocks in this thread - the more, the merrier.

I see that. And I believe that's what would have to happen to have any shot at him.

Moving up would be a little surprising to most.

I don't see them trading up...if anything, they'll trade back. This draft is very deep at safety to go after one particular guy (Cyprien) - they will either stand pat, or evaluate their options once they're on the board. If there are multiple guys they like left, I bet they trade back. Cheap, easy way to build the roster is with 2-7 draft picks.

There is some noise about Blidi Wreh-Wilson to the Redskins in the 3rd or 4th...UConn CB with elite size (6'1 190).

There is some noise about Blidi Wreh-Wilson to the Redskins in the 3rd or 4th...UConn CB with elite size (6'1 190).

I've seen his name linked to the Skins in several places. They also mention him being a high character guy so I'm sure that works in his favor.

With Wilson in the last year of his contract and Biggers and Hall on 1yr deals, we pretty much have to get a CB in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round.

My shot at a mock draft:

2.51 - Trade; Redskins swap 2nd-rounders with the Packers and pick up their 4th in the process.

2.55 (From Green Bay) - Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas Pine-Bluff - Athletic OT is a dream fit for the ZBS, and Shanahan drafts based on potential. Could possibly see Armstead switch to TE.

3.85 - David Amerson, CB/S, NC State - considered a potential top-10 pick after his sophomore season, Amerson got toasted on the reg in his junior season. Shanahan drafts on highlights though, and will see extreme value in the 3rd round. Could move to FS.

4.119 - B.W. Webb, CB, William & Mary - this is a "hopeful" pick by me, because I believe he'll be gone in the 3rd round. Small school CB falls to them in the 4th round, and Shanahan snags him. Boom or bust prospect from the school that produced Darren Sharper.

4.122 (from Green Bay) - Denard Robinson, QB/WR/RB, Michigan - many fans wanted to grab Percy Harvin from the Vikings, but capgate prevented that move. Shanahan goes after his own Percy with this pick; Robinson's speed and ball-carrying ability make him very dangerous.

5.154 - Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina - Shanahan takes his annual RB, this time going for a guy with top 5 skills, but who was injured. Nobody knows if Lattimore's knee will ever be the same, but Shanahan has never shied away from drafting guys with potential issues. If he returns to even 75% of his former self, he'd be a steal in the 4th round.

5.162 - Stansly Maponga, DE/OLB, TCU - Besides having the best name in the draft (narrowly beating out fellow DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo), Maponga is another guy with a lot of upside who had a disappointing 2012 season. The Redskins need some depth at OLB with Orakpo coming off an injury and Jackson suspended, and Maponga fits the bill. Fast for his size, and was an absolute beast in 2011 for the Horned Frogs.

6.191 - Cornelius Washington, ILB, Georgia - this massive beast would be groomed to be in the ILB rotation with Robinson & Riley (once London retires). He didn't produce much in college, but the 6'4, 264lb monster is ideal for the 3-4.

7.228 - Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas - undersized OT who could move inside to guard, or provide versatility and play both.

EDITED to add "From Green Bay" to pick 4.122

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some might give me grief for this, but if the trade down was an option like you both suggest and Zack Ertz is still there, I would be happy if we pulled the trigger. He is projected in the mid to later 2nd round in some mocks.

Seen the NFC East mock video on NFL Network/NFL.com the other day...Bucky Brooks had us taking the LB from Florida, Bostic, in the second round.

Said he was instinctive and all over the field and that London could mentor him to take his place.

Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.