• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Draft (Continual Updates)

I hope we can land Tyrann Mathieu in the later rounds...he is training with Pat Peterson in Boca Raton right now, and apparently is "focused" and "very locked in." Could be an absolute STEAL in the 4th or 5th round, if he falls that far. As a kick returner alone, he will light up the scoreboard, but he just has a knack for the ball. Kind of Sean Taylor-like in that aspect.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8387/tyrann-mathieu

Deion Sanders on Tyrann Mathieu: "This kid is a straight-up dog. Overachiever. ... This kid is going to be a baller immediately in the NFL."

He's getting a lot of push right now. 4th or 5th round may be wishful thinking.

Deion Sanders on Tyrann Mathieu: "This kid is a straight-up dog. Overachiever. ... This kid is going to be a baller immediately in the NFL."

He's getting a lot of push right now. 4th or 5th round may be wishful thinking.

Possibly...I'm hoping his off-field issues scare teams off.

Here is an updated list of players that the coaching staff has interviewed or spent a great deal of time scouting them. Listed alphabetically and where they were contacted (East-West Shrine game, Senior Bowl, Combine).

Oday Aboushi - OL, Virginia --- COM
Robert Alford - DB, Southeast Louisiana --- COM
Sam Barrington - LB, South Florida --- EW
Marcus Davis - WR, Virginia Tech --- EW
Andre Ellington - RB, Clemson --- SR
Montori Hughes - DL, Tennessee-Martin --- SR
Tony Jefferson - DB, Oklahoma --- COM
Keelan Johnson - DB, Arizona State --- COM
Nick Kasa - TE, Colorado --- COM
Robert Lester - DB, Alabama --- COM
Tyrann Mathieu - DB, LSU --- COM
T.J. McDonald - S, Southern California --- COM
Bradley McDougald - S, Kansas --- EW
Brandon McGee - CB, Miami --- EW
Will Pericak - DL, Colorado --- EW
Ty Powell - LB, Harding --- SR
Jordan Poyer - CB, Oregon State --- COM
Justin Pugh - OL, Syracuse --- COM
Mychal Rivera - TE, Tennessee --- SR
D.J. Swearinger - S, South Carolina --- COM
Rod Sweeting - CB, Georgia Tech --- COM
Phillip Thomas - S, Fresno State --- SR
Duke Williams - S, Nevada --- SR

so..what's the difference between a DB and a CB? I ahve an idea but figured someone else has the technical answer.

so..what's the difference between a DB and a CB? I ahve an idea but figured someone else has the technical answer.

I don't think there is a "technical" answer...DB is just a general term for defensive back, so CB or safety. Usually DB is reserved for the utility players & ST guys.

I like the distribution of picks here.

What I would not do as some other mocks suggest is to take a TE in the second round to replace or supplement Davis.

I think TE can be an overrated position because of Graham and Gronk's production in recent years.

But neither NO or NE spent their top picks on the position.

Meanwhile NY and Baltimore won the Super Bowl with productive but reasonably priced performers, not top picks or free agents.

A lot of the visits are misdirection. I don't see Washington in the market for Mathieu at 5'8 or for a wide receiver in the top several rounds. Notice that several of the corners and safeties and RTs mentioned in the pre combine ranking as being second or third rounders were not interviewed.

But people do learn lessons

And then there's players who do NOT learn from their lessons, like our very own Tanard Jackson, who has had multiple suspensions.
Why take a chance ?
And why assume a late-round pick is not worth enough to be considered a risk, considering late-rounders have often been very successful for us.
This sport is too competitive with loads of talent, including people with no rap sheets, to take a chance on someone that does have a rap sheet.
My theory is only take players with a virtually flawless character record.

I like the distribution of picks here.

What I would not do as some other mocks suggest is to take a TE in the second round to replace or supplement Davis.

I think TE can be an overrated position because of Graham and Gronk's production in recent years.

But neither NO or NE spent their top picks on the position.

Meanwhile NY and Baltimore won the Super Bowl with productive but reasonably priced performers, not top picks or free agents.

The teams you mentioned have starters at TE that were either 2nd round or 3rd round picks...

That puts our pick at about where the top tier TE's are. That position is a need for us, an absolute need and we can't waste the money on the risk of Fred Davis.

We would likely get the best value for the late 2nd round pick at TE since it's a position a rookie could start and be quality. At the RT or CD position, we wouldn't get a definite starter that late in the draft. We could back into one, but I doubt we would find opening day starter with that pick at those positions.

Safety? Maybe...

Gronk was a 2nd-round pick, Graham was a 3rd-round pick. Patriots also used a 4th-round pick on Aaron Hernandez...its not like they're lightly invested in the position.

So you would add TE but allow us to move forward with Hall, Wilson, merrier and a host of late picks and Reed Doughty?

My point about NY and Baltimore is that they never sacrificed big dollars or picks for TE when positions upfront or elsewhere were as poor as the secondary here was in 2012.

Perhaps we could take TE if there was no cap penalty or the Skins had more early picks.

But in 2013 the greatest need is the backfield and then pass protection for
Griffin.

Improvements there have you contending into the future.

Yes, but NE regularly has gone into the draft with 9 or 10 picks.

And again, those selections at 2 and 4 were not the Patriots top choices.

So you would add TE but allow us to move forward with Hall, Wilson, merrier and a host of late picks and Reed Doughty?

My point about NY and Baltimore is that they never sacrificed big dollars or picks for TE when positions upfront or elsewhere were as poor as the secondary here was in 2012.

Perhaps we could take TE if there was no cap penalty or the Skins had more early picks.

But in 2013 the greatest need is the backfield and then pass protection for
Griffin.

Improvements there have you contending into the future.

:laugh: Has any of those teams had a secondary as bad as our's?

Look, I mostly get what you're saying and agree with most...we need to address those positions too. And with the outlook of very little if any cap space, it doesn't look like we'll be able to address both positions at DB and RT in FA. Hopefully the kid from VA can get well enough to have an impact...and Crawford comes along as a 3rd of 4th stringer.

I just think we are going to get our most bang for the buck with the TE pool this year. I need to look into some of the tackles coming out, but do you really think we will find someone in the late 2nd round who could start over Hall? I loathe Hall and his loud mouth, but he came up big more than he didn't during the end of our run last year.

Lord knows we need a RT worse than any other o-line position, but how is the center class this year? Especially if we do some trading down aquire more 3rds and 4ths.

Agree with the others BB, good stuff to mull over til the draft. Appreciate the info on all these college prospects.

I think drafting for need is a fool's errand - BPA is always the best strategy. I forget this every year and get pissed when we draft Kirk Cousins in the 4th round, but then look what happens - we got first or second round talent in the 4th round! If there is a STUD TE available when we pick in the 2nd round, we'd be foolish not to draft him, end of story. UNLESS there is an equal or better option available in the secondary.

:laugh: Has any of those teams had a secondary as bad as our's?

Look, I mostly get what you're saying and agree with most...we need to address those positions too. And with the outlook of very little if any cap space, it doesn't look like we'll be able to address both positions at DB and RT in FA. Hopefully the kid from VA can get well enough to have an impact...and Crawford comes along as a 3rd of 4th stringer.

I just think we are going to get our most bang for the buck with the TE pool this year. I need to look into some of the tackles coming out, but do you really think we will find someone in the late 2nd round who could start over Hall? I loathe Hall and his loud mouth, but he came up big more than he didn't during the end of our run last year.

El has a point.......there are many directions to move in: one includes building an offensive machine and attending to defense downstream. an offensive machine? protect Robert (better line). give Robert options at the skill positions. there are some TEs in this year's draft - at least what I saw at the combine on TV - who could present order of magnitude higher advantages to the passing attack. our wr corps (except garçon) is still suspect. a TE with speed and size who can go across the middle? scary...again...IMO.

there is no one way to go about building a long-term championship team. one adds pieces each year and hopes it all comes together around year three for a 5-6 yr run.

BPA is not in the cards. We are not going to draft a qb or rb in the second round guaranteed. We are also unlikely to draft a wide receiver or an outside linebacker.

As with most clubs there are some obvious exceptions to BPA.

That said, I agree if there is a right tackle that falls and we have him high on our board we should take him over corner or safety, even if they are just as much if not greater needs at this point.

My guess is the Redskins are going to have to cut some familiar veterans to get under the cap and acquire one or two players elsewhere in areas of need.

Carriker as has been mentioned is very expensive at 3.7 million for 2013.

He and Hall at 8.0 million together about equal what we need to cut.

Moss at 34 at 4.6 million doesn't work either.

Tough choices.

But in my mind you always look to the future when you are building.

And despite 10-6 in 2012 the Skins are still building.

That means trading experience for upside.

Carriker would be too big a loss as evidenced by the DL's lack of production when he went down. Yes, Rak was a big loss too, but Jackson was able to get some pressure on the edge...we got very little pressure up the middle without Carriker in there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.