• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bruce, Scot and the Front Office.

I believe the team stated it's his grandmother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm spitballin a bit here...... While some say that the death of his Grandmother is a shaky explanation at best for his absence, I'm not completely sure. It's 18 days since she was put to rest.... barely over two weeks. Think about this.... How many 100 year old people do you think had their affairs in order with a proper will and such ? I'd say it's a 50 / 50 chance. Did she own a home ? Having to deal with a probate situation can be messy and time consuming. The possibility of having to clean out a home that has of decades personal belongings can be very time consuming, unless you plan on rolling up a dumpster, and trashing everything. A death in the family can be very complicated some times, and that's not even considering the emotional impact. My neighbor just passed a few months back. His affairs were in good order, with a proper will and no mortgage on his house. It took almost 8 weeks for his sister, who was named and given full control in the will to get everything squared away. Is Scott the only family member capable of dealing with these matters ?

That being said, yes this is a normally critical time for him to be with the team, and there's a lot of question marks here nobody can answer, but there could be a big ol monkey wrench jamming up the gears. I agree, it doesn't look good, but more often then not, there's quite a bit more involved then a fans "readers digest" version. Did the powers that be decide it would be better to have this resolved now, and not let it drag out and interfere with the draft, when they need Scott to do his wheeling and dealing. It's not like he cant use the reports from his staff to see who he wants to bring in for a visit. Seeing the guy on the field is important, but Scott gets a feel for a player sitting behind the desk, and talking to the guy for an extended period of time from everything I've read.

Just not sure we can go with Akums Razor here.

For those that have never had the responsibility of dealing with an estate, there are things inherit to the system that aren't really obvious until you try to go through the legal process. Getting a Certificate of Death one would think is a pretty short, straight forward process. It isn't, it can take awhile to get even a temporary certificate let alone a final. To close out some affairs it takes these documents and for some only a final certificate is acceptable. It's very possible for it to take two weeks before these affairs can even start to be settled. I recently went through this ordeal and it took 3 months to get the final. Fortunately, I was able to handle most of the business with the temporaries but those still took a couple of weeks to get.

Scott has already said he has great faith in the scouting department and as far as a combine goes they can report to him and he can easily view the reports. He's probably got a pretty deep book on draftees anyway. But as far as FAs go, that's something that's very dynamic and has no time schedule of who is going to be available when and what kind of updates those players have so it makes more sense to have Scott in a position to monitor that situation versus actually sitting at the combine.

So just what kind and how big does the PR disaster have to be for Tony Wylie to get fired?

The whole Scot situation and how it's presented and handled....isn't that his department?

Tony's been one of the best over the last couple of decades but since coming to Washington he has been somewhat controversial at times and not necessarily reporter friendly. Whether warranted or not it has been the case occasionally. He has ruffled some feathers in the Washington press.

The lawsuit against the Washington City Paper - It appeared that Wylie was targeting the reporters on their accuracy of Snyder versus a team image issue. I agree, hold the press accountable for what they report. Doesn't make you any friends.

Stopping Sutcliffe from interviewing Colt after the Dallas game a couple of years ago. Tony was absolutely within his right to halt that interview as he already had denied a previous interview. Quite frankly, I wouldn't want Sutcliffe interviewing a HS player without preparation and Tony again not the reporters best friend but I do agree with those actions. ESPN never complained about it, either.

How much the current situation has to do with a fumble by Tony I don't know but there may be an issue of going up and down the chain of command of what should or should not be released, it's not a typical situation. How much this may have to do with reporters that are not on the best of terms with him I don't know either but some other factors to consider.

I believe the team stated it's his grandmother.

What about the fact that he was reportedly told by the team on Feb 20th, to leave the office, and not to return ?

Isn't that a clear contradiction to the report that he left, due to his grandmother's death ?

Is the story about him being instructed/asked to leave, just dismissed as conjecture, since most likely both reasons for leaving can't logically co-exist ?

Perhaps him being asked to leave is the real reason, and the family death one, is the team's way of sugar-coating the incident, and being discreet.

Maybe this has been discussed already, and I missed it, since I've been away for a few days.

I was responding to the idea pitched that maybe it was some other more recent death in the family. I've already said the grandmother story sounds like BS.

Whatever is going on, the timing couldn't be worse with a franchised quarterback's negotiations waiting and free agency coming up next week.

But that's par for the course with this organization.

The Giants won 2 Super Bowls in the past 10 years having a few big names like Eli Manning and Michael Strahan, but for the most part otherwise a roster or 'solid', unspectacular players that Tom Coughlin got to play consistent football and over-reach in the playoffs at times.

Meanwhile, we have spent millions more on players and traded to get top selections in the first round and we have bupkis other than a couple of first round playoff exits to show for it.

No wonder no one around the league takes us seriously.

For about 1.5 years it appeared things were getting better, but we seem to have hit a plateau and now appear to be heading back to the dysfunctional side of the scale again.

What a waste.

With the revenue this team bring in and the size of the media market, the Redskins should be a perennial contender with stars galore.

Instead it's the Nationals and Capitals that have the recognizable stars and each article about free agency is talking about how Player X or Y would fit the Redskins perfectly at WR, DT, S or LB but they are going to be TOO EXPENSIVE TO PURSUE for us.

What a freakin' joke.

I think that's an incredibly negative assessment with almost no confirmed information to back it up. The only *facts* we know are that the team decided to give themselves one more season observing Cousins to ensure the 2015 season wasn't an anomaly, and that something is going on with McCloughan. On the face of it, the decision not to sign Cousins long-term after that first full year could be criticized but is also hardly some major disaster. Had Cousins imploded in 2016 it would look like a sage approach. I still think it's likely Cousins is signed and that, other than costing more than it would have to retain him, there are no long-term ill effects.

I assume you feel that the Redskins are in great peril not having him locked up at this point? Why? They obviously must believe that there's no one worthy of a free agent pickup in the event they somehow lost Cousins, or believe McCoy could hold down the fort for a season or two.

And the McCloughan situation - I assume you're also implying that is a sign of organizational dysfunction? How? McCloughan was always a risky hire. If he's in crisis, in what conceivable way does that reflect on the Redskins organization?

And what do the Giants and the picks the Redskins gave up for Griffin 5 years ago have to do with our current status?

All that being said....I do love me some Bulldog :)

Regarding g the sent home story his wife said it was fake. FWIW...

IMG_2870.jpg

Also, aren't addiction programs 28 days? Just spit balling here but what if his grandma's passing sent him on a bender, then he checked himself (or team instructed) into a rehab treatment.

Edit: It would explain both the 'dealing with the death' as well as 'his family issues'. Just a guess

Last edited:
Or...............he's still on that bender, and in the middle of Beer Pong Championship run? Where he could win any number of fabulous prizes!!!

Take a deep breath before reading this. Hug your loved ones lol.

It might be true, and as we know, it might be total bs. But it's from Rotoworld--usually pretty accurate. If true, this is a total debacle:

After missing the Combine, Redskins GM Scot McCloughan has not returned to team headquarters and is not involved in free agent negotiations.

Publicly, team brass has insisted McCloughan would return to Redskins Park whenever he is finished dealing with "personal matters." Privately, it appears McCloughan is being forced out or already has been. The NFL Combine is a critical venue for both draft and free agency information gathering, and teams make some of their biggest decisions of the year during this week's legal tampering window and Thursday's official start of free agency. The Washington Post's Mike Jones believes McCloughan's ouster will be announced after April's draft.

NFL | Redskins GM not involved in FA negotiations - Rotoworld.com

If that's how it plays out, it's all going to come down to the WHY.

If it's the power struggle shit the press so loves to push, then yeah, it's a debacle. Mostly because it would mean the NEXT GM, assuming there is one, will feel like he's walking into a mine field at worst, a seemingly tenuous situation at best given GM's here would seemingly be in title only.

If it's something else, like personal issues with Scot, then it's about what and how the Redskins tried to do to help him, or not. AND, more importantly for the team, how they go about filling the vacancy.

As I've said before this offseason, I'm not wed to Scot yet--it hasn't been long enough, and the FA and draft record hasn't been overwhelmingly sterling enough to fear losing him. My only real concern at that point would be that the Redskins DO go on to put another real talent evaluator in place other than Bruce Allen. I have less problem with him than many, but I do not think he's the right guy...he's more an admin/corporate guy to me than a football guy.

Take a deep breath before reading this. Hug your loved ones lol.

It might be true, and as we know, it might be total bs. But it's from Rotoworld--usually pretty accurate. If true, this is a total debacle:

After missing the Combine, Redskins GM Scot McCloughan has not returned to team headquarters and is not involved in free agent negotiations.

Publicly, team brass has insisted McCloughan would return to Redskins Park whenever he is finished dealing with "personal matters." Privately, it appears McCloughan is being forced out or already has been. The NFL Combine is a critical venue for both draft and free agency information gathering, and teams make some of their biggest decisions of the year during this week's legal tampering window and Thursday's official start of free agency. The Washington Post's Mike Jones believes McCloughan's ouster will be announced after April's draft.

NFL | Redskins GM not involved in FA negotiations - Rotoworld.com

I remember roughly a year ago, you saying you saw him, either in person, or a picture, and he did not look well at all. He looked like a sick man. I wonder if that was basically the beginning of the end, for Scot, his drinking, his health, and his job.

I think if it was him being pushed out, there'd be tons of valid noise on that. Almost has to be the drinking issue. They may be letting him have a chance to get some help and dry out. All speculation at this point. If they wanted him gone, they'd just fire him. All they'd have to do is refuse to discuss the why's and everyone would assume it's the drinking and the team would get a pass. This sounds more like Boones summation that they're trying to let him deal with it quietly. It would be the professional way to deal with it. Funny they may be doing the exact right thing, but history demands skepticism.

I have a feeling most agents and others know what is going on, but nothing is being told to the media. Our FO has to tell the agents something or else we lose credibility in dealing with FA's.

In another thread it was mentioned Scot Campbell or Doug Williams taking over as GM. I have no problem with this move.

As I've said before, I will be glad when this **** is over.

I thought we had Schaffer to do all the contract negotiations. Didn't realize Scott talked money, thought he told the team who to target / retain, and then passed it off to Schaffer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.