• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2023 Offensive Coordinator Thread

Who’s your OC pick?

• Eric Bienemy

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Greg Roman

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Pat Shurmur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ken Zampese

• Other (specify in comments)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Live and learn. Just saw on NFL networks pregame stuff that Bienemy is without a contract next year so technically a lateral move would be OK. It was also mentioned that he would be the designated play collar, but I’m not sure how that affects the lateral move thing as far as the NFL is concerned. I think I understood that right.

yeah something that hasn't really been talked about. Bienemy has signed 1 year deals each of the last 2 years. It appears he's posturing to move on but hasn't gotten the right opportunity.

I have we may be more enticing than people give us credit for. Our biggest competition for OC are Baltimore and Tennessee. Baltimore is entrenched at HC and if they don't re-sign Lamar Jackson they could be in for a couple lean seasons due to the fact that the entire offense is built around a specific style. Tennessee could be interesting but they're definitely built to be a running team with very little actual explosion on the roster. Walking in here he has a clean slate at QB and a stable of weapons that are top 1/3 of the league. Add to that a direct path to getting a HC interview where you already know the roster in 2024.

it's speculation, but he's also already been on something like 14 HC interviews without a hire... He's running out of teams to interview with.

Reactions: Om
The advantage Bienemy would have in Washington is that the offense would be his playground. Rivera being a defensive coach would not take any shine off Bieemy’s accomplishments. If we are right that Robinson, Gibson, Samuel, McLaurin, Dotson etc. are too good for the 27th best offense then Bienemy probably imagines skyrocketing ratings and all of it will be because of him.

Bienemy is an interesting case. There seems to be two thoughts on why he's not getting a head coaching job. One is that he is a bad interviewer. The other is that Reid is really the mastermind behind the offense. If Reid is really the guy that makes it work, then Bienemy could struggle without Reid. However, if he really is an offensive guru and he just needs to show it, then he has to get out of Reid's shadow. I think it's a real gamble if he is going to a job that could come with turmoil and a sale of the team with a whole new ownership group. But at the same time, this may be his best chance to use this as a stepping stone to a head coaching job.

Another offensive coordinator just became available and another vacancy to be filled. Kellen Moore was just fired by Dallas. I don't know all the ins and outs of their offense, but I do know they have had one of the top scoring offenses in the league during his tenure. I just looked it up, 6th, 17th, 1st, and 4th. The year they were 17th was when Prescott broke his leg. This year, they still managed to be 4th with Cooper Rush starting 5 games. I would definitely be giving him a call for an interview.

Edit: I saw where it said McCarthy would be calling plays, so they may just promote from within. The will most likely have an offensive coordinator, but McCarthy will be the guy doing the play calling.

Seems like that's what you do when your QB doesn't get the job done, right? Fans scream for change, and the HC has to offer up someone as the sacrificial lamb. We just saw it in DC where they fire a guy who 9 months ago got a big extension.

Kind of a weird firing. All you hear is how talented Kellen Moore is and he gets the boot? I wouldn't hate him at OC - at all.

Seems like that's what you do when your QB doesn't get the job done, right? Fans scream for change, and the HC has to offer up someone as the sacrificial lamb. We just saw it in DC where they fire a guy who 9 months ago got a big extension.

Kind of a weird firing. All you hear is how talented Kellen Moore is and he gets the boot? I wouldn't hate him at OC - at all.

I asked a friend who is a cowboys fan and he said it was time for a change. I think they are just trying to rally around the organization at this point. I just find it hard to believe that a head coach who has trouble managing the game and makes terrible decisions will somehow get better at that now that he’s calling plays. He did become the scapegoat and maybe that awful last play was all his idea. But it seems like they are overcompensating for the QB and head coach failures.

Didn’t take Kellen much time to find a new gig. Chargers new OC.

That was to be expected. I figured he would go fast. Maybe there was already discussions happening. It’s a good place for him with a good young QB, good WRs, and a top RB. One day, we will have nice things too.

Awfully quiet on the OC front, isn't it?

If rumors about Eric Bienemy are true, that he's the real target and so they must wait until after the Super Bowl to interview him, we could still have a significant wait in OC news.

Couple of thoughts on that...

While admitting I'm jaded, and EB might have a totally different view of a DC opportunity, seems unlikely he would choose this situation over others that are a lot more stable, and might have an established QB?

Traditionally, teams that are less (let us say) 'attractive' try and get out of the gate first, and make an offer to someone as early as possible. You know - the old 'a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush' approach - in the hopes that a promising candidate will prioritize a sure job before he has a lot of tantalizing competing job offers. That's the advantage of teams sitting on the sidelines after the regular season ends.

But Mayhew and Rivera seem set on going through this extended, deliberate, painstaking, comprehensive (we hope?) process which runs entirely counter to that. Could they already have a handshake agreement with Bienemy? Are they a lot more clever than we think? Unless the EB thing is all but a done deal, seems like we would be setting ourselves up for a serious case of 'left alone at the altar'?

The last time we saw this kind of extended search for a key puzzle piece, it ended with the triumphant announcement of Carson Wentz as our new QB. So we have reason to be afraid.

Then again, maybe a new OC is just a mundane placeholder for 2023 as it could be a new owner sweeps away all vestiges of the Ron Rivera/Marty Hurney/Mayhew era and starts clean.

Sad that these are the things we are focused on as the Eagles prepare to possibly add another Super Bowl trophy to their shelf.

Last edited:
  • On Fire
Reactions: Om
Only two things would make sense to me regarding Bieniemy:

1. It’s a done deal and the necessary waiting for KC’s season to end is the only hold up, like the hiring by Houston of Demeco Ryans, or

2. As JP Finlay surmised, Rivera is using his possibility as ‘lipstick on a pig‘ before hiring Shurmur or Zampese like he did with Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson before trading for Carson Wentz.

Beyond that, has Bieniemy ever been an OC outside of title only? Does he really have a vital role in the KC offense? What does he contribute vis a vis Andy Reid?

Awfully quiet on the OC front, isn't it?

If rumors about Eric Bienemy are true, that he's the real target and so they must wait until after the Super Bowl to interview him, we could still have a significant wait in OC news.

Couple of thoughts on that...

While admitting I'm jaded, and EB might have a totally different view of a DC opportunity, seems unlikely he would choose this situation over others that are a lot more stable, and might have an established QB?

Traditionally, teams that are less (let us say) 'attractive' try and get out of the gate first, and make an offer to someone as early as possible. You know - the old 'a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush' approach - in the hopes that a promising candidate will prioritize a sure job before he has a lot of tantalizing competing job offers. That's the advantage of teams sitting on the sidelines after the regular season ends.

But Mayhew and Rivera seem set on going through this extended, deliberate, painstaking, comprehensive (we hope?) process which runs entirely counter to that. Could they already have a handshake agreement with Bienemy? Are they a lot more clever than we think? Unless the EB thing is all but a done deal, seems like we would be setting ourselves up for a serious case of 'left alone at the altar'?

The last time we saw this kind of extended search for a key puzzle piece, it ended with the triumphant announcement of Carson Wentz as our new QB. So we have reason to be afraid.

Then again, maybe a new OC is just a mundane placeholder for 2023 as it could be a new owner sweeps away all vestiges of the Ron Rivera/Marty Hurney/Mayhew era and starts clean.

Sad that these are the things we are focused on as the Eagles prepare to possibly add another Super Bowl trophy to their shelf.

I think EB would be crazy not to consider this job. Not because of how 'good' this job is... but more because there's such a limited supply.

That level of supply gets smaller when you consider jobs that you're not hand fed your starting QB... the most important piece of the puzzle

It gets even smaller when you're talking about the roster make up and the weapons you have

It gets even smaller when you look at the number of places you'll be able to call the the plays with

We may view our team as the 29th 'best' OC position in the NFL but the 28 'better' OC jobs may not be available in 2023. Maybe 2 of the 28 'better' jobs are available but one of them you'll be walking into the building knowing your QB is still not living up to a very large contract and the team is currently WELL over the cap... oh, and while you have weapons... the HC has said he will be taking full control of the playcalling... ahem.... Dallas Cowboys.

OR the franchise is in a dramatic contract dispute with your former MVP candidate QB and it appears a divorce is on the horizon... meanwhile the entire roster is built to be a running team, and the offense you've been working in is very obviously NOT that... ahem... Baltimore.

Yes both of those situations are 'better' than the Commanders.. but do either of those actually offer a benefit over the current situation in KC? I think it was brilliant of Demeco Ryans to take the Houston job over Denver one when you consider all factors about what the next 2-3 years may look like.

Not to say he's going to take this job, but I think it would be dumb for ANY OC candidate to simply not consider a job...

I’m starting to think this is all smoke and mirrors to say they did their due diligence and end up elevating Zampese. I think unfortunately if they do that the offense will be much the same not very good . I’d like to be wrong

I think EB would be crazy not to consider this job. Not because of how 'good' this job is... but more because there's such a limited supply.

That level of supply gets smaller when you consider jobs that you're not hand fed your starting QB... the most important piece of the puzzle

It gets even smaller when you're talking about the roster make up and the weapons you have

It gets even smaller when you look at the number of places you'll be able to call the the plays with

We may view our team as the 29th 'best' OC position in the NFL but the 28 'better' OC jobs may not be available in 2023. Maybe 2 of the 28 'better' jobs are available but one of them you'll be walking into the building knowing your QB is still not living up to a very large contract and the team is currently WELL over the cap... oh, and while you have weapons... the HC has said he will be taking full control of the playcalling... ahem.... Dallas Cowboys.

OR the franchise is in a dramatic contract dispute with your former MVP candidate QB and it appears a divorce is on the horizon... meanwhile the entire roster is built to be a running team, and the offense you've been working in is very obviously NOT that... ahem... Baltimore.

Yes both of those situations are 'better' than the Commanders.. but do either of those actually offer a benefit over the current situation in KC?

Not to say he's going to take this job, but I think it would be dumb for ANY OC candidate to simply not consider a job...

Agree with a lot of that - but this isn't a position coach we are talking about looking for his first OC gig. Eric Bienemy IS the OC on arguably the most potent offense in the league. That doesn't mean it's impossible he comes here to be 'OC/Assistant Head Coach' or something like that. Maybe he and Reid have come to a parting of the ways - who knows? But I haven't heard any rumors he's on the hot seat in KC. So he's already got one of those coveted jobs. Would seem more likely to me he is just leveraging other 'opportunities' to maybe get whatever his concerns in KC worked out or addressed. And I'll disagree on your final point. Taking a job with Washington that is pretty equivalent to the one you already have in KC (new potential title aside) - that seems dumb to me :)

But who knows how much fire there is here behind the supposed smoke?

Only two things would make sense to me regarding Bieniemy:

1. It’s a done deal and the necessary waiting for KC’s season to end is the only hold up, like the hiring by Houston of Demeco Ryan, or

2. As JP Finlay surmised, Rivera is using his possibility as ‘lipstick on a pig‘ before hiring Shurmur or Zampese like he did with Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson before trading for Carson Wentz.

Beyond that, has Bieniemy ever been an OC outside of title only? Does he really have a vital role in the KC offense? What does he contribute vis a vis Andy Reid?

this is the other side of the conversation.

If I was a betting man, despite my point above, It's going to be Zampese. I have a feeling the true hold up is going to be the owner signing off on a big-ish deal for an OC. I don't think it happens. Coaches contracts are fully guaranteed and I think part of woo-ing a premium candidate will include a long-er commitment.

I know I'm sounding like I'm playing both sides of the coin here, because I am. Just because we don't hire Bienemy this offseason, doesn't mean he wasn't 'willing' to come here. There are 100 different factors that may ultimately cause him to choose a different place, or sign yet another 1 year deal to stay in KC.

Yeah, the only real reason for Bienemy to leave KC is if he thinks he can't reach his dreams under Andy Reid's shadow. If Washington can get its Oline together, I think Washington is an ideal coordinator landing spot. You're almost guaranteed to jump ten slots and that's assuming Howell or whoever is the QB is mediocre.

Agree with a lot of that - but this isn't a position coach we are talking about looking for his first OC gig. Eric Bienemy IS the OC on arguably the most potent offense in the league. That doesn't mean it's impossible he comes here to be 'OC/Assistant Head Coach' or something like that. Maybe he and Reid have come to a parting of the ways - who knows? But I haven't heard any rumors he's on the hot seat in KC. So he's already got one of those coveted jobs. Would seem more likely to me he is just leveraging other 'opportunities' to maybe get whatever his concerns in KC worked out or addressed. And I'll disagree on your final point. Taking a job with Washington that is pretty equivalent to the one you already have in KC (new potential title aside) - that seems dumb to me :)

But who knows how much fire there is here behind the supposed smoke?

he doesnt have to be on the hot seat. He's not getting fired because he's not under contract after this season. He's coached on 1-year deals each of the last 2 seasons. If he wanted to stay in KC, or KC wanted him there long term, why a 1 year deal? It shouldn't have anything to do with him getting a HC gig in the future because he can leave for a promotion ANY time he likes, and the hiring team would then take over his payroll. KC has never blocked him from interviewing, (I believe he's been on 14 HC interview to this point....) so it's not like they want to hinder his abilities just to keep him in house... so why do 1 year deals unless you're just 'looking' for a better opportunity elsewhere?

I need someone to convince me that Bieniemy is really the OC in KC by any standard beyond holding the title.

Andy Reid is the play caller and I would be hard pressed to believe that he is not also the game planner. I would love to hear an interview with one of the Chief’s primary beat reporters as to what exactly Bieniemy’s role in the offense is.

The sceptic in me also thinks that Bieniemy’s history of HC interviews has sadly been more due to Rooney Rule shenanigans than anything else.

I hope I’m wrong about that but I also was not born yesterday.

he doesnt have to be on the hot seat. He's not getting fired because he's not under contract after this season. He's coached on 1-year deals each of the last 2 seasons. If he wanted to stay in KC, or KC wanted him there long term, why a 1 year deal? It shouldn't have anything to do with him getting a HC gig in the future because he can leave for a promotion ANY time he likes, and the hiring team would then take over his payroll. KC has never blocked him from interviewing, (I believe he's been on 14 HC interview to this point....) so it's not like they want to hinder his abilities just to keep him in house... so why do 1 year deals unless you're just 'looking' for a better opportunity elsewhere?

ST - I’m not sure what that has to do with anything I’m saying brother - unless the idea is there is a rift there or they aren’t that crazy about EB and thus = 1 year deals. We don’t know who it is that prefers a 1 year deal but I have to wonder if that’s all EB will agree to?

And if you are looking for long-term stability why on earth would you want to come to DC where the entire coaching crew may be dead men walking?

There could be some agreement in place that explains all this. Bottom line I don’t see why he’d want to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.