• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2023 Offensive Coordinator Thread

Who’s your OC pick?

• Eric Bienemy

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Greg Roman

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Pat Shurmur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ken Zampese

• Other (specify in comments)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly not opposed to Roman. Seems to potentially be a good fit.

His offenses have consistently put up points. I don't care how the points get scored. Granted, the last 2 years BAL has been 17th and 19th in points scored but the offense tends to fall off a cliff when Jackson isn't in the game and he has only 12 games in both of those years.

Jackson has no one to throw the ball to other than Mark Andrews or the backs out of the backfield.

The Baltimore offense was essentially a service academy scheme with better talent on the OL and at QB.

I guess Baltimore just needs to sign players with a wide catch radius.

I guess what I am saying is Roman could probably do more with greater talent on the outside as he would have here in DC.

Although we really do need to decide whether Logan Thomas at 31 is a legit starter in the NFL at this point and whether any of his backups (Bates, Henry) have significant immediate upside, because if not we need to address TE in the offseason FA or draft.

I guess what I am saying is Roman could probably do more with greater talent on the outside as he would have here in DC.

Although we really do need to decide whether Logan Thomas at 31 is a legit starter in the NFL at this point and whether any of his backups (Bates, Henry) have significant immediate upside, because if not we need to address TE in the offseason FA or draft.

I think there is still a heavy intrigue surrounding Cole Turner.

All we heard coming out of camp was how impressive he was, and we got to see very little on the field due to injuries. Armani Rogers flashed int he preseason then got hurt as well. I dont know why they forcibly stuck with Thomas after it was clear he wasn't the same guy as in the past (either because he was still hurt or some other reason). I've heard this is an extremely deep draft at TE, and if we can get a dual purpose type guy that can be a play maker AS WELL as a blocker.. i'm not totally against it. That said, with THIS roster, a large investment at TE may not be the most important thing. In reality, if we ultimately hold on to Samuels, TE is MAYBE the 4th read in the offense in most situations behind WRs and RBs.

Of course the OC is going to be a big part of that, but to invest an early pick on TE would feel a heck of a lot like we were leaving some serious talent by the wayside.... That's another aspect of Greg Roman's game... hes TE heavy, but again, you have to ask yourself... was that because that's the system, or was it because that's just the weapons he had?

Makes a convincing case...

Hard to know how good he is. At one point defensive back communication was awful, but that might have mostly been WJ. St. Juste and our young safeties have all developed nicely though so I'm thinking he's one of our better coaches on the D side.

Harris is getting out ahead of the storm. He's smart.

Whether the new owners take over in time for this league year or the next, Ron Rivera's term as HC is on life support.

To keep his job you are probably going to have to see Sam Howell ball out like Jalen Hurts and prove that Rivera could indeed draft a quarterback and develop a team.

Short of that he's history.

Not sure why Bienemy would want to leave the Chiefs unless he thinks he can’t make his own name while being under Andy’s shadow.

Still, that’d be one heckuva upgrade

The prevailing wisdom is that he's looking to have sole playcalling duties to boost his future head coaching candidate prospects. Not sure I buy that, nor do I see him picking Washington if he is looking for a lateral move. But who knows?

I mean 'is in play' - wtf does that mean? That the Commanders have interest? Sure. I have interest in Scarlett Johannson. Unless there's some scenario like Rivera planning retirement after 2023, where Bienemy would essentially be HC in waiting, don't see what the compelling attraction to DC would be? And with a new owner seemingly imminent, even that scenario would hardly be a guarantee or necessarily even a likelihood. I'll believe it when I see it.

The other question - is Bienemy even 'all that'? I'm pretty sure I could look like the greatest OC of all time with Andy Reid my boss and Patrick Mahommes my QB. Just sayin....

So if I understand it right, the only way he could come here as OC would be if he was also named assistant head coach or something. Straight lateral moves are not part of the current collective bargaining, right?

It would certainly create an interesting dynamic with a new owner likely coming aboard. There would be two obvious successor head coach candidates already on the staff if Rivera were to be gone.

Yes - I think that's correct Mark.

Live and learn. Just saw on NFL networks pregame stuff that Bienemy is without a contract next year so technically a lateral move would be OK. It was also mentioned that he would be the designated play collar, but I’m not sure how that affects the lateral move thing as far as the NFL is concerned. I think I understood that right.

All of which begs the question… Why the hell would Eric Bieniemy wanna come here with all of the unknowns? The only logical answer I can come up with is that he would think it would put him in line for the head coaching job here should it open up.

maybe he is already on Jeff Bezos’ speed dial. 🤫

I guess it's possible a Bezos deal is all but done, a GM pick made unofficially, and a handshake agreement with Bienemy to come in as OC and transition to HC in a year. But that's a lot of dominoes that would need to fall, right? :)

Reactions: Om
With all the weapons here and Bieniemy's experience working with a young QB in Mahomes, he might look at the Washington offense as a place he can really showcase himself. Either to move up here after the new owner takes over or to take over one of half dozen openings we see nearly every year now.

Consider the situation. We should have a ton of cap space to revamp the OLine in the off-season. There aren't a lot of other competing needs for that cap space on Defense. Our best offensive weapons are all signed through the end of next season and our QB is on a rookie deal for 3 more seasons.

And, even though there is a lot of uncertainty here, that usually breads opportunity for someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.