• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2022 Free Agency Tracker

Signing Andrew Norwell to fill Flowers spot. 6’6” 340 and a lot cheaper. Good player.

The one thing I would like to add about Norwell is that in addition to being a great and very consistent pass protector over the years, he adds that element of experience and veteran presence to an otherwise fairly youthful line that was lost with Brandon's departure. For a guy like Saadhiq Charles, that mentor role can be huge for his future development.
Only Norwell, Larsen, and Leno are 30 years old. The rest of our line is in that sweet spot of having 5-7 years of experience. We are setting ourselves up well to be a good line for years to come. Criticizing Rivera seems to be the hip thing to do the last few weeks, but how they have handled the moves on the OL to create cap space without necessarily sacrificing a huge amount in terms of ability/production is a positive sign.

I think the move to sign Norwell speaks volumes about how highly they think of Wes Schweitzer. As primarily a LG, Norwell appears to be replacing Flowers, not necessarily Scherff. On the surface and without knowing details, it looks like they were always content with having an in-house option replace Scherff, while wanting to create cap room and not necessarily sacrificing ability at LG.

Under the assumption that Schweitzer was always going to be the replacement for Scherff, you potentially killed two birds with one stone with the Norwell signing (assuming we are going to learn he is here for more than a one year deal upon release of the details of his contract).

Without Norwell and with a starting five of Leno-Flowers-Roullier-Schweitzer-Cosmi, you would be going into 2023 with two fifths of that needing a new deal or potentially leaving (Schweitzer and Flowers).

With Norwell and with a starting five of Leno-Norwell-Roullier-Schweitzer-Cosmi, you now are likely facing a situation going into 2023 with only one fifth of that starting unit needing a new deal or potentially leaving (Schweitzer).

Ultimately, it sets us up well to have consistency and stability up front in year 4 of Rivera where you hope that they team is ready to make some noise and start banging on the door.

Okay, so Godwin, Robinson, and DeVante Adams all signed deals today. The market has been set, time for Terry's reps and the team to get serious and iron this thing out now.

JuJu still out there. Man, would I love for us to pull that trigger...

We apparently called the Chiefs to inquire about Patrick Mahomes.

Assuming this was true, seeing that literally nothing is off the table in the NFL, if an incoming call came in from Wisconsin to inquire about a certain WR who needs a new contract, if you are Ron Rivera, are you listening?

Excuse me while I go run and hide...I will hang up and listen though.

You always listen - but no, I'm not trading McLaurin. I'd only seriously consider it if I believed he would refuse to sign a new contract. We have made that mistake multiple times, most recently with Scherff.

If Green Bay or anyone for that matter calls about Terry my answer would be hell to the naw.

Unless like Boone said if he was sick of D.C. already. At some point you have to reward the great players you’ve drafted that turn into fantastic mentors, both on and off the field.

hope that’s not what’s holding his news up, finalizing a trade, but ANYTHING is possible with this damn team.

If McLaurin moves on from DC after his rookie contract, I'm not going to lie - I'll be devastated. That guy is what Joe Gibbs would call a 'True Redskin'. Plays his guts out, puts himself in harms way to make a crucial play, leads both by example and in words, always says the unselfish, correct thing. He's the heart of this team. If we can't retain him, who can we retain?

Realistically, what is the contract for McLaurin? If Adams is 5 for 141, McLaurin is not as good as he is, but is probably in the next group of receivers below Adams. So 5 for 125? I don’t think the WR market resets like the QB market, where the next guy to get paid is always the highest. But you have to think his agent will want it as close to Adams as he can get it, if he can’t get more.

He's not Adams and statistically he's not in the next group either. I'm not saying he's not that good, but the stats aren't there. I would think a *reasonable* offer would be 15-20 Million a year for 4 years. If they are asking for more than that, I'm prepared to be heartbroken.

I’m not sure it’s safe to say exactly how good he is considering the QBs he has played with. Outside of Jonathan Allen, who else has been rewarded by this franchise?

I’ve got a bad feeling that TM is going to be the next franchise tag recipient. I hope it’s just gas.

I agree. But I'm not sure Front Offices do a lot of contracts based on 'what you could have done if we didn't suck', lol...

If ever there was a player worthy of overspending though - Terry McLaurin is that guy.

I imagine the benchmark for Terry is the Christian Kirk deal. I think we have to do better than that one.

MAX value is $21M per year, but i don't think that's attainable, and most are saying this is basically at 2 year, $37Mil deal where the team can move on after that and get out for ~$10M if the choose. It's broken down here

The Jaguars plan to sign Kirk to a four-year, $72 million deal with $37 million, including a $20 million signing bonus. The size of the deal turned a lot of heads around the league and among fans, as the average per year stands out as a sizeable amount.

The reality of the deal is that it’s basically a two-year deal worth $37 million. The way the Jaguars structured the Kirk deal, as currently reported albeit not actually official, is after the 2023 season the team can release Kirk and save $11 million against the cap. The team will eat $10 million in dead money, but if Kirk ends up a bust it’s a deal they can easily get out of.

I'm not saying we go into this the same way with the intention to get out of it, just more that there's a lot of fluff to that deal that's not necessarily as scary as the initial numbers.

The point is I think we need to be near (or a little above) the $21M AAV amount, but with more guarantees than what Kirk go. A bit of a bigger bonus, and some more guarantees annually probably gets it done.

Anything over $20 million is overpaying. Kirk’s deal is insane for what he’s done so far. I get that to an extent it ‘sets the market’ but other WR’s who’ve done more (like Allen Robinson) aren’t getting insane money. The problem is, we don’t have much else to attract a guy other than overpaying so we may have to bite our lip and pay what it takes. The other reason I wanted them to go after JuJu is insurance if it turns out McLaurin is the same as other ‘stars’ we’ve had previously who talked a good game but ultimately got out of DC as soon as they could. Not saying McLaurin is one of those but he is such a consummate pro that I suspect we’d never know it if he were unhappy. Hopefully, as Rivera mentioned yesterday, having a QB who can maximize his production and opportunities makes staying in DC more attractive, but remains to be seen…

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.