• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2021 Roster Updates

I hear all that. The truth is though - the franchise year alone sets him up for life. It’s his call what his priorities are. But I don’t think all players set maximizing the $$ they can make as an exclusive above all else determining factor. If all he cares about is his earnings potential and the prospect of winning a Super Bowl with the team who drafted you and has grown with you doesn't factor into things, you’re not a guy I’m going to mourn losing.

I hear all that. The truth is though - the franchise year alone sets him up for life. It’s his call what his priorities are. But I don’t think all players set maximizing the $$ they can make as an exclusive above all else determining factor. If all he cares about is his earnings potential and the prospect of winning a Super Bowl with the team who drafted you and has grown with you doesn't factor into things, you’re not a guy I’m going to mourn losing.

An over looked point.

Perfect example is Trent Williams. He's viewed as one of (if not THE) best LTs in the game right now. He's also now playing for the 49ers who gave him a bookoo contract, but is also playing in arguably the best division in football. San Fran drafted Lance, but I don't know that they're even the best option in their own division to get to the Super Bowl.

This is a business decision by both parties and that is fine with me. Brandon not being here for 2022 is the least of my concerns. To me, having less available money then to sign or re-sign talent at more important positions than offensive guard is of greater concern.

In addition to the prized defensive linemen and McLaurin, the team will most likely have to spend some real money at the quarterback position in the near term.

I'm less comfortable deciding how much is enough for another man. :) All I'm saying is I understand where he's coming from, and in his shoes I think I'd probably do the same thing. He hasn't said he won't come back here if no one out there offers him the mega-contract, or if someone who does is a basement-dweller, his actions are just saying he's gonna let it play out. I don't have any problem with that.

As to the last part ... if he's gone after 2021, I won't mourn losing him either. We'll be fine.

I’m not begrudging him the right to do whatever he wants. We all do that. Scherff is approaching 50 million dollars of career pay. You are of course right in that the personal choice as to how important salary is in the equation is absolutely his to make. But he and his will never need to worry about money again. If he’s still basing decisions on maxing his bank account out, let’s just call it what it is :) Disappointing.

It will be interesting to see his career path post-DC vs. what he might’ve gotten to experience were he willing to view his salary in the context of a young rising team that also needs to sign other key players. Remains to be seen.

And I’m stating all of this on the assumption he intends to sign with the highest bidder. I think if he had any plans to be in DC after this year we would know that. The team is clearly operating as if he won’t be here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Om
30 mil signing makes it even more manageable. The front office made a great sign with this.

I was trying to think of a throwback player that Jon Allen’s play resembles. I believe John Randle fits the bill imho

Edit: In no way am I saying Allen is even close to Randle in level of smack talk. Hell JR may be the best all time at it.

Last edited:
Teams are really rolling the dice on paying a 33 year old player a $24M a year deal to play LT like SF did with Trent Williams.

If this was a sport with a soft cap or no cap at all, then it would only be about the money.

But if SF doesn't contend at some point in the future that contract will cause them to have to let another free agent player go rather than resign him.

If it turns out to be one of their own former high draft picks then there are going to be some second guesses.

At 29, Scherff is not in exactly the same position as Trent. He is closer to his prime but plays a less critical position on the field. Like Trent, though, Scherff has missed a lot of time over the past few years with injuries.

From a cap standpoint having him play on the tag in 2021 and moving on in 2022 is the right move. It may also turn out to be the correct one if it comes down to resigning a Montez Sweat or Terry McLaurin to contract extensions in subsequent offseasons.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that Brandon Scherff is more important to this team's future over the next 3-5 years than a Sweat or McLaurin.

Are they?

Thomas is an interesting player. He has very little wear and tear on his 30 year old frame during his NFL career to date and seems to be a trending contributor for the offense. His height and long reach should become even more productive asset in the red zone for a better passer, whether Fitzpatrick or Heinicke.

Glad we didn't spend a #1 pick on a TE like the Giants and Lions did in the past few drafts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.