• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2021 Roster Updates

Former Aggie and Cardinals UDFA. He’s a big red zone threat. Eric Dickerson’s cousin…

Salary-wise I think the team under the cap can afford to pay one DT and then the two bookend DEs.

If it comes down to Allen vs. Payne who do you sign long-term?

Tough call. Payne “flashes” more, is quicker, and a year younger, but I Allen is a rock solid beast, play in and play out, plus a very strong leader.

Would suck to see either guy walk, but reality can be a bitch.

I pay Allen. He's a very productive Captain, and from everything I've heard a big time leader in the locker room. Paying Payne means you let Allen walk after this season so in 2022 you're looking at Payne / Ioannidis being the guys with Ioannidis entering the final year of his current deal. Paying Allen means you've got 2 seasons with the current rotation of Allen / Payne / Ioannidis and it allows you to front load the contract into next season freeing up some other money on the back end to pay the DEs and McLaurin as that's going to be coming down the pipeline quick.

I could see us paying Allen a VERY large number in year one, with the 2nd half of the contract being much more manageable.

I don’t know if the conventional wisdom ‘we can’t keep all of them’ is actually factual. As mentioned by Neophyte in the recent Dallas pod, teams with really great salary cap people are able to perform seeming miracles year after year. I actually think free agency and how committed these individual players are to staying in DC to see this rebuild through may be a bigger factor than whether we can find the money to keep the DL together or not will be.

One other thing to remember is that while the salary cap numbers went down this year due to COVID last year, the current projections are for a huge jump in the cap limit over the next couple of years. With that jump, WFT will likely have more wiggle room for these guys currently on lower rookie deals when those contracts come up.

Don't forget the fact that we're not paying inflated contracts at the high dollar positions. QB / EDGE / WR / CB. If we can find our QB of the future in the 1st round of either of the next 2 drafts, we're looking at 6-7 years from now before we pay the Franchise QB type contract. Young is 4 years away, Sweat 3. If it's me I'm front loading deals now and getting the back end to be much more manageable, instead of kicking the can further down the road... Pay Allen 35-40 of his deal in year 1 (when you consider signing bonus) and pay 60% over the final 3 or 4 years, it will make it much better on the back end.

This is such a good problem to have unlike other teams that have to struggle mightily because they salary strapped themselves.

My, how times have changed in Washington.

not really surprising imho. Tagging him was a giant sign that his value with the team does not reach beyond 2021 without a substantial discount in price.

Agree. This was inevitable. Like with Cousins, if he’d wanted to stay in Washington he’d have long ago taken an offer.

Brandon must be seeking $20m or more, there’s no logical reason he didn’t seek a deal with the team. He’s been full of shit though stating he wanted to retire a skin.

Between Allen or Payne, I would take Allen without hesitation. When he’s on his game he’s a terror against o-linemen.

Question came up on Twitter today where it was said that if Scherff balls out the next 5 years that Rivera is to blame.. I posed the question

If the next 5 years of Scherff mirror the last 5 years of Scherff, is it a mistake to not pay him top 3 money as a G long term?

There has to be some underlying factors as to why he won’t ink a deal with the team. Especially from earlier in the off-season when they offered BS the highest paying guard $.

If a team out there offers anything higher then a 3rd in a trade then I’d pull that trigger in a heartbeat. Hell that may be a factor in all this, sending BS to his preference team and the tag was to buy tome while they iron out details.

Just more Nostradumbassness from me lol

There has to be some underlying factors as to why he won’t ink a deal with the team. Especially from earlier in the off-season when they offered BS the highest paying guard $.

If a team out there offers anything higher then a 3rd in a trade then I’d pull that trigger in a heartbeat. Hell that may be a factor in all this, sending BS to his preference team and the tag was to buy tome while they iron out details.

Just more Nostradumbassness from me lol

I think Rivera and co have decided to move on from him, and that decision was made last off season. I think they went into the Scherff situation knowing he was going to price himself out of their market, but also knew they did not have a replacement on the team. Tagging him and paying him $18 mil guaranteed in a season that you have a major surplus in cap space is a better fiscal decision than signing him to an inflated long term deal for a REALLY good guard that plays about 65% of the games each year and is staring 30 in the face. Tag Scherff, keep him for 2021 as you continue to build, draft / trade potential successors (Flowers / Cosmi) at a discounted price or a rookie contract cost.

I keep thinking Scherff is just doing what any smart businessman would (and what I would absolutely do) ... maximizing his earning potential while he can.

Man has a realistic chance at one mega-contract in his remaining career, given his age and injury history. He's established a floor for himself at what, $18-20 million a year for a 3 or 4-year contract? He'd be a fool not to try to cash in while can, then hopefully get out in his mid-30's with a chance at a post-football life with body at least mostly intact.

These guys are contractors in the modern NFL. If it's me, I'm trying to put myself in position to set me and my family up for life, and if/when I do get that chance, I take it.

Not a whole lotta room for sentimentality or "home town discounts" there in my mind.

I keep thinking Scherff is just doing what any smart businessman would (and what I would absolutely do) ... maximizing his earning potential while he can.

Man has a realistic chance at one mega-contract in his remaining career, given his age and injury history. He's established a floor for himself at what, $18-20 million a year for a 3 or 4-year contract? He'd be a fool not to try to cash in while can, then hopefully get out in his mid-30's with a chance at a post-football life with body at least mostly intact.

These guys are contractors in the modern NFL. If it's me, I'm trying to put myself in position to set me and my family up for life, and if/when I do get that chance, I take it.

Not a whole lotta room for sentimentality or "home town discounts" there in my mind.

I agree, I don't blame him one single bit, and I think Rivera agrees also... which is why they utilized the 2nd tag to buy time to find his successor. I love Scherff but I don't want to pay him $18mil on a multi-year deal.

YearAgeTmPosNo.GGSAV
201524WASRG7516167
2016*25WASRG75161612
2017*26WASRG7514149
201827WASRG75883
2019*28WASRG7511115
2020*+29WASRG75131310
Career787846

In the last 5 years he's played 16 games once... that was 2016.

****disclaimer**** I know that 2 of the last 3 years he's been put on IR late in the season when it's clear the season was over... Had we been in contention he potentially plays out those remaining games, but the injury concern is a real one when you're talking about 8.5% of your salary cap as a guard.

Reactions: Om

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.