• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2014 Coaching Search Rumors

Penn St. is going to make a push for Schiano if O'Brien leaves.

Frazier will be out in Minnesota.

Looks like Schwartz will be fired too - Lions are as pathetic as we have been over the years.

I wish we'd fired Shanahan a month ago. We're going to find ourselves in stiff competition for whatever coaching talent there is, particularly if Snyder goes Elephant's dream route of finding a football GM and letting him hire the head coach.

I wish we'd fired Shanahan a month ago. We're going to find ourselves in stiff competition for whatever coaching talent there is, particularly if Snyder goes Elephant's dream route of finding a football GM and letting him hire the head coach.

If Snyder has the GM route in mind, I have to think the ball is already in motion. And those teams cannot compete with the money Snyder would spend on a coach. Not that money is the be all end all, and I am not sure I'd want a "greedy coach, but it is incentive.

Projecting out 5-7 years there are probably several assistants available now that will lead teams to the postseason as first time hires.

I would be less concerned with rushing to hire the flavor of the month and being 'beaten' to Jay Gruden than getting the organization on more solid ground by placing a football guy in the room to help make the selection.

New York was supposedly Cowher's dream job and Coughlin at 69 appears on the way out.

Hard to believe he would come here now before the NY situation plays itself out.

I'm not in favor of giving former has-beens a 4 year trial run. I know sometimes it has worked out (Pete Carroll being one example) but it is rare that someone proves not to be who we thought they were.

Bill Belichick
Tom Coughlin
Tony Dungy

Besides those 3 not so much. I'd rather go with a Harbaugh type too but I'm sure that 90% of first time coaches fail as well.

I'm getting to the point where I don't believe it matters. Like some have said for a decade now, GET A REAL GM, let that dude build the team and choose a coach. And I don't mean a Holmgren or Parcells either. More like a Pioli or whoever that dude in Seattle is.

Here's the thing though Fear - when you've only even BEEN to the playoffs a handful of times in 20 years, I think it's a little silly to worry about Super Bowls. Joe Gibbs didn't get us to a Super Bowl his 2nd time around, but did lead us to 2 playoff appearances (and some playoff wins) - that would feel pretty damn good about now. I'll take ANYONE who can field a consistent winning team. I think Cowher would do that.

Here's the thing though Fear - when you've only even BEEN to the playoffs a handful of times in 20 years, I think it's a little silly to worry about Super Bowls. Joe Gibbs didn't get us to a Super Bowl his 2nd time around, but did lead us to 2 playoff appearances (and some playoff wins) - that would feel pretty damn good about now. I'll take ANYONE who can field a consistent winning team. I think Cowher would do that.

That just shows how bad of a franchise we are....

But thinking Super Bowl means thinking long-term, without getting TOO long-term.
If we're going to be satisfied with the next guy who just gets us to the playoffs, and that's his "ceiling", and then we start all over again, and re-build, then what fan wants that again ?
Bottom line, I want our next coach to take us to the Super Bowl, even if it takes 4 more years.
I'll take that, over another coach who gets us to the playoffs over the next 4 years, but we have to re-build another time or 2 or more, in order to be Super Bowl material.

Well, I can't say I am disappointed to just hear that Rex Ryan will be maintained as HC of the Jets next year so the talk of him coming here as DC is moot!

Cleveland will be firing their coaches - or so it seems. Ditto for Oakland. The list continues to grow.

Cowher may be able to coach this team to the playoffs but can he do it if he is the GM as well?

In Pittsburgh he wasn't in charge of personnel, so instead of going with something proven we would in fact be going with something new.

Springs just said Danny Smith as HC with Raheem Moore as DC.

McD may have just died.

I definitely threw up some.

Springs doesn't have any inside information. You can tell from the wrap up show that he just watches the games, he isn 't out there during the week breaking down the team and talking to those in the know.

Cleveland will be firing their coaches - or so it seems. Ditto for Oakland. The list continues to grow.

I don't think Cleveland will fire their coaches, not from what I have been hearing up here.

Edit: Wow rumors are all over the place now that they will fire him! There had been ZERO talk of that up here on sports radio

Last edited:
If the Cowboys lose big enough to the Eagles maybe Norv becomes the HC in Dallas?

Redskins fans can hope.

I really hope Snyder brings Mike into his office, tells him he is stripped of GM responsibilities, every member of the coaching staff on offense, special teams and defense are fired to be replaced by the new GM. Shanny gets no say in who gets hired. He can remain coach and coach only if he plans to salvage his reputation as a coach in the NFL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.