• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2014 Coaching Search Rumors

You can never believe anything a coach says about a player, or a player says about a coach.

None of these guys want to appear as anything but loyal to future employers.

That definitely makes more sense than taking it at face value. Shan obviously can't inspire these cats anymore. Hell they've been playing lifeless for 3/4 of the season.

That definitely makes more sense than taking it at face value. Shan obviously can't inspire these cats anymore. Hell they've been playing lifeless for 3/4 of the season.

disagree. they have ben playing reasonably hard - they just don't have the talent on the roster to compete with the better teams.

O'Brien may be back in the running. Houston reported this morning w/strong interest in Whisenhunt as well.

Per posts earlier in this thread, aside from Danny Smith, COwher and O'Brien…Russ Grimm also has reported interest in the job.

I can't agree with that fan... The roster didn't change much from that 10-6 squad and a dinged Knee isn't enough to produce the kind of inept, lost play that we witnessed this year. The San Fran and KC games along with yesterday were not only uninspiring they were embarrassing for their lack of effort. I do agree that this roster is seriously void of talent but it doesn't excuse what was to me a blatant lack of effort. The team with few exceptions looks like they couldn't care less. D Hall smiling after he gives up a TD kind of says it all to me.

btw…does RGIII acquire a reputation as a "coach killer" after this?

O'Brien may be back in the running. Houston reported this morning w/strong interest in Whisenhunt as well.

Per posts earlier in this thread, aside from Danny Smith, COwher and O'Brien…Russ Grimm also has reported interest in the job.

boo, i liked whisenhunt for us :\

in some circles.

i'm sure any mention of it will send redskins fans into tizzies but i think there are quite a few circles looking at what is going on here and come away with different impressions than what we think.

Zac Boyer ‏@ZacBoyer
The Vikings have announced Leslie Frazier won't be back next year as coach.

No - I think it's a ridiculous label. First of all - look at Shanahan's record - it's pretty abysmal and Griffin was only here for 2 of his 4 seasons. In one of those he was ROY and led us to an NFC championship. The worst thing you can say about Griffin on 2013 is that he came back too soon and wasn't nearly as effective. Griffin hasn't openly undermined his coaches, complained, or thrown anyone under the bus (unless one tries to twist some fairly innocuous comments into something ominous). There's also no evidence that Griffin or anyone in his camp has been actively trying to get Shanahan fired (other than media rumors which have never been substantiated). Shanahan got himself fired and he pretty much forced Snyder to do it.

.. Griffin hasn't openly undermined his coaches, complained, or thrown anyone under the bus ..
That seems like a rather revisionist way of looking at things. He started causing problems as soon as he got out of surgery...

I know what you think tshile. We have different definitions of 'substantiated' :). I'm not naive OR stupid (and neither are you) and I'm not saying that Griffin doesn't have opinions or preferences and that he may have expressed them to those close to him. But there's no evidence he went to Snyder and pulled some prima donna act or made demands and he certainly has said a lot of the right things in public. His Dad seems to be more of a loose cannon and I'm not sure if there's fire with that smoke - it's possible but even there it's only rumors at this point.

I think there have been a lot if differences of opinion in terms if his recovery and the overall plan there, but I chalk that up to Griffins competitive instincts and those kinds of tensions are normal between coach and QB. I'm talking about evidence that Griffin wanted Shanahan gone and actively acted to make it happen.

I know what you think tshile. We have different definitions of 'substantiated' :). I'm not naive OR stupid (and neither are you) and I'm not saying that Griffin doesn't have opinions or preferences and that he may have expressed them to those close to him. But there's no evidence he went to Snyder and pulled some prima donna act or made demands and he certainly has said a lot of the right things in public. His Dad seems to be more of a loose cannon and I'm not sure if there's fire with that smoke - it's possible but even there it's only rumors at this point.

I think there have been a lot if differences of opinion in terms if his recovery and the overall plan there, but I chalk that up to Griffins competitive instincts and those kinds of tensions are normal between coach and QB. I'm talking about evidence that Griffin wanted Shanahan gone and actively acted to make it happen.

oh, I didn't mean that he went to snyder, I just meant his numerous press conferences where he took shots at the coaching staff.

i don't know how you can give someone that label after one coach though.

it's too early to give him any labels.

including franchise quarterback.

It's official. Shanahan and his staff have been fired.

@MikeJonesWaPo 4m

Mike Shanahan and his staff have been fired.

(lol its twitter)

Mike Shanahan is speaking and ESPN 980's too ****ing stupid to stop talking over him.

ESPN 980 is running with the firing too.

Not sure about the rest of the staff (I can't imagine this is a question, but they're not saying anything yet)

I really didn't hear numerous press conferences where he took shots at the coaching staff? Other than the one instance where he talked about the opposing D 'knowing what was coming' (and I think whether that was really intended as a 'shot' is highly debatable), I don't know of other instances. Maybe I just missed that. I also think that the several occasions where he had follow-up press sessions to 'clarify' comments were indications that it was important to him that folks not get the impression he was criticizing coaching decisions. I guess you could look at that cynically and say he was just trying to cover his own rep but I saw it as just evidence he is a young guy still who isn't always artful in what he says, didn't realize to what extent every word he says is going to be parsed and dissected, and was often clumsy in choosing his words.

We are watching in real time how history gets written. Rumors and speculation about RG3 and his supposedly cozy relationship with the owner, and how that relationship might have affected the team, have become the kind of "fact" that, repeated often enough, have started to take on a veneer of Truth.

Not so different than how history has been re-written on Marty Schottenheimer's time in DC. To hear tell these days, St. Marty had turned around the Redskins and had them on the verge of contending on a regular basis again. What has been lost to the fog of revisionism is how the team largely hated the man; and how, after 0-5 became 5-5, the final 6 games, where the games actually mattered, were a study in mistakes and lost opportunities, and how awful a GM he was appearing to be (Sage Rosenfels, anyone?). Should he have been given another year or two? Yes. Was there any REAL indication he was the candle in the dark the media and many fans have retroactively decided he was? Nope.

Anyway ...

Bye, Mike.

I really didn't hear numerous press conferences where he took shots at the coaching staff? Other than the one instance where he talked about the opposing D 'knowing what was coming' (and I think whether that was really intended as a 'shot' is highly debatable), I don't know of other instances. Maybe I just missed that. I also think that the several occasions where he had follow-up press sessions to 'clarify' comments were indications that it was important to him that folks not get the impression he was criticizing coaching decisions. I guess you could look at that cynically and say he was just trying to cover his own toe but I saw it as just evidence he is a young guy still who isn't always artful in what he says, didn't realize to what extent every word he says is going to be parsed and dissected, and was often clumsy in choosing his words.

I was thinking more where him and his dad went on interviews talking about how a running quarterback is a failure, about how griffin shouldn't be running anymore, or about how griffin did what he needed to and he hoped people 'kept their word'

all of that was before the season even started.

but i guess i'm just cynical.

not that it matters any more. the coaching staff is gone. we'll see what happens with the next one.

i'm sure it'll be significantly different that he previous 20 years ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.