• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

No comment.

I hope we win the division again.

Last edited:
I will just say I understand we have to do what we think is best for our team, and I respect that.

I just hope it doesn't back up on us. That is all.

Perspective by Keim:

Alfred Morris signs with Cowboys, but memories will last in Washington - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN

He wasn't a divisive figure, he was just Alfred. He was the humble kid from Florida who drove the same car he bought in college, who hung out with stadium workers before games and stopped to talk to security guards at Redskins Park on his way home.

That's why this one will sting for Washington Redskins fans. Alfred Morris was more than just a running back for them; he was a regular guy who worked hard and succeeded -- and he was theirs. Then he was allowed to leave in free agency; then he signed Tuesday with the Dallas Cowboys.

So, yes, this one will hurt.

Morris was not the same runner last season. It wasn't just that the run blocking was bad -- inconsistent by the linemen and tight ends. It wasn't just the scheme -- Morris ran a lot of power in college. And it wasn't that they didn't run enough of a certain look -- in a two-back set his numbers weren't good, either. It was a combination of everything. The Redskins did not see the same Morris as they had the first two seasons. Maybe they're wrong, but that's how they viewed him for much of the last two years. It's hard to argue.

After averaging 4.8 yards per carry his rookie year, his yards per carry went like this: 4.6, 4.1 and finally 3.7. The Redskins want a back that can create space when the blocking breaks down. It's what they saw other backs do on their long runs, but did not see from any of their own running backs during the 2015 season.

Morris' yards after contact decreased as well -- from 2.00 in 2013 and 2014 to a career-low (by far) 1.45 this past season. At times he didn't look as quick to the hole as in prior years -- maybe a function of a combined 611 regular-season carries his first two years. He wasn't making the first defenders miss like he had in his first two seasons.

That's not to pick on Morris. It's just to show that it wasn't as simple as saying the blocking needed to improve and he'd be fine. It definitely has to improve, with or without Morris. According to ESPN stats & Information, the Redskins ranked 24th in yards before contact per rush over the last two years. Meanwhile, Dallas ranked eighth.

There were moments, however, when the old Alf reappeared: 25 carries for 121 yards versus Miami; 15 carries for 92 yards versus New Orleans; 14 carries for 84 yards versus Buffalo (with a 48-yard run); 19 carries for 100 yards versus Dallas in Week 17. There just weren't enough such games. Did he need more carries? It's hard to give more to a guy who, in eight of his games, averaged less than 2.9 yards per run. In four games it was 2.00 yards or less.

But in Dallas, he'll be running behind one of the best lines in football, though he'll likely share carries with Darren McFadden.

Morris can still be a productive two-down back.

As exciting as the Robert Griffin III story was in 2012, Morris' role was equally fresh. He was a smart player, able to communicate well how he'd set up defenders when pressing the hole.

Still, a beloved Redskin now wearing a star? That won't sit well, especially if he rebounds with a good season. One of the biggest games of the last 10 seasons occurred in the 2012 regular season finale. It was Morris, not Griffin III, who starred that night. It was Morris who rushed for 200 yards and three touchdowns and did his little home run swat each time.

Morris was the little-known sixth-round pick who quickly rose to prominence, because of his hard runs -- crashing through a Bears linebacker in his first preseason game -- and his humble nature. He seemed frustrated at times this past season, but he didn't let it impact his play or his preparation. He left Washington not as a divisive figure, but as someone the fans will long remember for many reasons.

To me a running backs style is a key to his longevity. Matt Jones runs high, tries to run through guys instead of around them and takes a lot of hits going to the ground.

That type of runner like Marion Barber usually has a shorter shelf life in the NFL.

Other guys like Peterson or an Emmitt Smith last into their 30's because they don't take direct hits head on very often but angle for a glancing blow, often exploding into the tackler.

They are smart enough to go out of bounds or to the ground when a play breaks down and there is no running lane.

Jones has a lot to learn about running in a more compact form, taking fewer unnecessary hits and protecting the football more effectively.

The ideal back for Gruden's offense is a smaller elusive back with excellent hands.

The problem is those guys aren't durable enough to stand up to a power set running the ball 250-300 times a year.

So, ultimately something has to give.

We either need runners by committee or run a three/four wide set and spread things out more to take advantage of smaller backs speed like Thompson.

wow...just un****ingreal. we let him go for less than 4 mil.

that just set Scot back with me.

Why? Why on earth would Scot sign a player that the coach has repeatedly made clear he will not use? I suppose maybe minimum wage for vets might have made sense, but why then would Morris want to come back and play for that? I can't fault Scot at all for this one.

I love when people say Griffin was divisive. Sure, he was, no argument.

And so is Gruden.

Thank God we have a proven horse waiting to take the reins from Alfred.

Gruden better hope to God our running game at least doesn't get worse, or our passing game is the envy of New England's.

Jones had concussion issues last year and Thompson needed labrum surgery. Redd was already on IR.

Those are our top three backs right now.

I don’t see this signing as being on Scot at all. This is about Gruden and the system he wants to run. I don’t say that to turn this into another session bashing Gruden, because that’s not my point. My point is that you have to sign the players that fit your system. The Redskins over the years have been notorious for signing players to billion dollar contracts when they don’t fit their scheme. Signing a guy for cheap that doesn’t fit your scheme is bad as well. Morris doesn’t fit what Gruden wants to do. There was no way they could bring him back.

The reality is it doesn’t matter what Morris does next year if the Redskins RBs can put up close to 2k combined rushing yards. I say RBs because I don’t know if it will be Jones exclusively, Thompson, or some other guy. 2000 yds would have been 5th in the league last year in rushing, so not an unreasonable goal. If they accomplish that, it won’t matter what Morris does in little d. I don’t know if they get that, because this is a passing offense more than a running offense. My main point is, if this offense succeeds, it doesn’t matter who the players are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how football go.

Morris had no top end speed, poor pass blocker, poor pass catching out of the backfield. I'm not worried, he won't keep us from the division title if he can't block for Romo.

Ya'll just have to find another guy to pin on Gruden's inability to property utilize him. Yeah right Not surprising Redskins fans can't see the forest because of the trees. You'll forget all about the great Morris days when we bring in a speed back to complement Jones.

post after post you continue to talk shit about the people on this site. is there a problem here?

I mentioned Gruden and Morris. Wasn't Gruden's fault that Morris walked. That was my point. For the amount he took, apparently it had more to do with the drop off in his game. Again, I'm not worried about him playing for anyone else.

I AM worried about what I'm going to do with 3 Griffin jerseys and 2 Morris jerseys. You can have them, how about that?

That's how football go.

Morris had no top end speed, poor pass blocker, poor pass catching out of the backfield. I'm not worried, he won't keep us from the division title if he can't block for Romo.

Ya'll just have to find another guy to pin on Gruden's inability to property utilize him. Yeah right Not surprising Redskins fans can't see the forest because of the trees. You'll forget all about the great Morris days when we bring in a speed back to complement Jones.

Based on the fact that Jones is HALF of the tandem that gave us a horrific rushing attack (attack is WAY too strong a word, actually - foray?), and you seem willing to point to Alfred as the problem rather than the scheme, why on earth would you want to complement Jones? Why wouldn't you want to replace him as well?

Sure as hell looks to me like our problem of being unable to adapt ANYTHING to the talent we have on hand continues.

Sigh.

Is it September yet?

No. It was St Patrick's Day last week.

Come on man! Are you still feeling the effects from then?

I'm thinking/hoping this is McLovin' saying to Gruden "Ok, you this is your chance to prove for the first time ever in your Offensive coaching career that you can design even a halfass running attack that actually gains yards, not just racks up attempts, otherwise there's the door."

Nick

No. It was St Patrick's Day last week.

Come on man! Are you still feeling the effects from then?
Why yes. Aren't you? :)

No comment.
That'll be the day. :)

I'm thinking/hoping this is McLovin' saying to Gruden "Ok, you this is your chance to prove for the first time ever in your Offensive coaching career that you can design even a halfass running attack that actually gains yards, not just racks up attempts, otherwise there's the door."
Yeah, that's probably exactly what he's saying.

That, or he concurs with his coaching staff that Alfred wasn't the right guy here going forward.

Scot is still apparently interested in signing Vernon Davis in FA.

He's old, 32, but would be a great blocker if he came cheap.

The NFL Owners voted to ban all chop blocks from the game.

Run game? What run game?

Are they purposely trying to kill the sport?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NFL bans the chop block and makes the longer extra point a permanent rule... <a href="https://t.co/eVXgyr94J5">https://t.co/eVXgyr94J5</a></p>— MarkMaske (@MarkMaske) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkMaske/status/712351080210784256">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.