• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Let's Get Back Into Second Round

I hope the guy is incredible. A week from now though, when we can all stand back a little and evaluate (guess) objectively, I believe this is one we are going to wish we had back.

Our guard missed the entire 2010 season due to weight issues. The entire year.

He ballooned up to 380 pounds. He wasn't great academically. Played for a small school/questionable opposition, and has a lot of physical questions. And his blocking ability is listed as a weakness.

That reads like a gamble you take in the sixth or seventh, and then don't really care when he doesn't work out.

That doesn't sound like a third rounder. But I'm no expert. I hope he's great.

I agree he sounds like a gamble. But did he miss a year because of weight? Sounded to me like he was on academic suspension, and ballooned up during his year off. Then got it together and dropped the weight and has kept himself at fighting weight for a year.

I'll agree - there must be something they really like about this kid, because he definitely sounds like a wildcard, particularly for a 3rd round pick.

I hope the guy is incredible. A week from now though, when we can all stand back a little and evaluate (guess) objectively, I believe this is one we are going to wish we had back.

Our guard missed the entire 2010 season due to weight issues. The entire year.

He ballooned up to 380 pounds. He wasn't great academically. Played for a small school/questionable opposition, and has a lot of physical questions. And his blocking ability is listed as a weakness.

That reads like a gamble you take in the sixth or seventh, and then don't really care when he doesn't work out.

That doesn't sound like a third rounder. But I'm no expert. I hope he's great.

Here's an interview with him after being drafted that explains some of what you are (I was)concerned about:

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-ev...090?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The story I heard was that the guy changed majors causing insufficient credits, while on "leave" is when he gained the weight and then lost weight as eligibility approached and worked his butt off to have his good year.

Let's see how many other stories we can find in this grand age of infomation.

Ah.... I see El found a similar take.

The story I heard was that the guy changed majors causing insufficient credits, while on "leave" is when he gained the weight and then lost weight as eligibility approached and worked his butt off to have his good year.

Let's see how many other stories we can find in this grand age of infomation.

Ah.... I see El found a similar take.

This scenario makes me feel better in a strange way. I suppose it's better for a player to miss a year for educational reasons rather than for weight issues.

It feels weird to even type that, but I guess that is where we are at these days.

And his subsequent weight loss and return to the team shows some real dedication. Thanks for posting that. I hope he becomes a great one.

Apparently New England was interested in him as well with their next pick in the 3rd. Eh, the more we learn - and I recall being down about the Jenkins pick in round two last year.

I don't have a problem with picking him, I just hate missing out on better players that also filled needs but are now gone. Not sure I buy New England's interest. I think we could have gotten him at #109.

Ah well, he fills a need. On to round 4.

His explanation of his academic problems sounds a little sketchy. Or maybe it's an understandable dislike for taking responsibility for what happened.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-ev...090?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Or he was 21 and hated Economics and was not vigilant about changing his major. From everything I have seen so far he is more interested in football than anything else. In the interview when he was suspended, you could see the angst he had about not being able to participate. Either the kid is a great actor or he realized his errors and did something to change that.

I don't know. I was not too pleased about the pick when I heard it. As I look further into the kid, he seems like a good kid. Not someone who was out there being a knuckle head and got suspended, just a kid who probably had little interest in academics and wanted to play football.

His explanation of his academic problems sounds a little sketchy. Or maybe it's an understandable dislike for taking responsibility for what happened. He is a young guy.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to round four.

Lots of guys have succeeded as football players without really being "students". I guess we'll just add this guy to the list. ;)

Just wanted to update this as we head into the remaining rounds.

Players still available...

Lamar Miller
Chris Polk
Robert Turbin
Marvin Jones
Marvin McNutt
Juron Criner
Nick Toon
Joe Adams
Bobby Massie
Zebrie Sanders
James Brown
Ben Jones
Phillip Blake
Alameda Ta'amu
Nick Jean-Baptiste
Jared Crick
Brandon Boykin
Markelle Martin

Good points El. I just noticed the word "they" several times in his explanation.

I would paste the statement here, but can't from my iPad.

I would have preferred that he just owned up to it, saying something like " I made a mistake, and learned from it."

Good points El. I just noticed the word "they" several times in his explanation.

I would paste the statement here, but can't from my iPad.

I would have preferred that he just owned up to it, saying something like " I made a mistake, and learned from it."

I saw it. And you're right he probably should have taken responsibility for knowing the ramifications of changing his major. he's a Redskins OG now so HTTR!

I saw it. And you're right he probably should have taken responsibility for knowing the ramifications of changing his major. he's a Redskins OG now so HTTR!

:cheers:

Have a great night everyone. See you tomorrow for round four.

Thanks for the list BB. Since LiRibeus also plays a little Center, I'd think we could cross Jones and Blake off the list but with Mike, you never know.

I guess we'll see just how much interest there is in Turbin and whether T, CB or WR is the highest priority. Lots of choices.

LeRibeus missed the 2010 season due to weight issues, but "slimmed" down to 312 and had a fantastic senior season at SMU. He is an athletic lineman with quick feet and outstanding recovery ability. Washington's zone blocking scheme requires linemen to be light on their feet in space, so Leribeus is a perfect fit and capable of starting at any of the three interior line positions. --Russ Lande

LeRibeus missed the 2010 season due to weight issues, but "slimmed" down to 312 and had a fantastic senior season at SMU. He is an athletic lineman with quick feet and outstanding recovery ability. Washington's zone blocking scheme requires linemen to be light on their feet in space, so Leribeus is a perfect fit and capable of starting at any of the three interior line positions. --Russ Lande

I read he was academically ineligible in 2010, due to a mistake by the registrar.

Or he was 21 and hated Economics and was not vigilant about changing his major. From everything I have seen so far he is more interested in football than anything else. In the interview when he was suspended, you could see the angst he had about not being able to participate. Either the kid is a great actor or he realized his errors and did something to change that.

I don't know. I was not too pleased about the pick when I heard it. As I look further into the kid, he seems like a good kid. Not someone who was out there being a knuckle head and got suspended, just a kid who probably had little interest in academics and wanted to play football.

life is about balance...right? so this kid balances off RGIII's accelerated pursuit of academic excellence. we all set standards in life.

He couldn't be any worse than Heath Shuler who still didn't have command of the playbook going into his secon full season in the NFL.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.