• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Schefter: Rams will trade second pick

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch website reports that The Redskins, Browns and Dolphins-as well as a few undisclosed teams-have had what are described as "very preliminary" discussions with the Rams about the #2 pick.

Italics mine.

BY JIM THOMAS • jthomas@post-dispatch.com > 314-340-8197 | Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:25 am | (10) Comments

INDIANAPOLIS • Kevin Demoff, the Rams' executive vice president of football operations, drove home from the NFL scouting combine early Monday evening secure in the knowledge that the Rams had laid the groundwork for trading out of the No. 2 overall spot in the draft, and that Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III had done everything possible (short of throwing) to make himself worth trading up for to the No. 2 spot.

Chalk up "reports" elsewhere that the Rams had "decided" to trade the pick as the "non-news" of the day.

Throughout the combine, the Rams have made no secret of the fact that they are shopping the pick. But if they don't receive an offer they like, they're not going to trade the pick. Simple as that.

As one team source said, "It's not like we're going to trade the pick for a seventh-rounder."

As to what it will take for someone to move up to No. 2, that remains to be seen. It's all speculation at this point. The Rams have had very preliminary discussions with Cleveland (at No. 4), Washington (at No. 6), and Miami (at No. 8), as well as some quarterback-needy teams outside the top 10.

Nothing resembling an offer has been made on either side of the fence. Such talks might not heat up until the NFL owners' meetings at the end of March. Which would be after Indianapolis decides what to do with Peyton Manning; after Green Bay makes a decision on whether to franchise Matt Flynn; after the March 13 start of free agency; and after Griffin holds his pro day and throws on March 21.

For now, the early front-runner for Griffin probably is Washington, in large part because of the good relationship between team executives (Washington's Bruce Allen and Demoff) and coaches (Jeff Fisher and Washington's Mike Shanahan).

Article link:http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-use-combine-to-plan-for-trade/article_4b015d8c-a1a9-5a49-b64b-fbd7316929a5.html

Jets would have to offer their next four first rounders to beat what the Browns will end up offering (eventually, the will include their second first rounder), no chance they get the pick. I think they are a dark horse for Peyton (along with the Texans).

Those offers we're smaller than I thought they would be. Our offer will have to be increased to include next years first as well. And Cleveland will have to step it up as well. But if the Lambs are smart, they will get this done in the next week or so, before Flynn and Manning are resolved.

At the end of the day, I personally believe that the Redskins' front office decision will be an easy one to support, regardless of which direction they choose to go. If they choose to make a play on Griffin and sink multiple picks into acquiring his rights, you can make the argument that finding the face of the franchise has been severely long overdue. On the other hand, staying put in the draft gives the team the opportunity to sink picks into filling numerous holes that still exist on the roster. I for one will be backing Mike and Bruce if they take the plunge for a franchise QB in RG3, or if they stay the course and attempt the patient approach to building a team...both of which are refreshing ideas in Washington and for its fans.

Peyton Manning on the other hand is an entirely different story. That smells of the same old same old for me, and despite his pedigree, it's a risk and situation the Redskins don't need at this juncture.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, I personally believe that the Redskins' front office decision will be an easy one to support, regardless of which direction they choose to go. If they choose to make a play on Griffin and sink multiple picks into acquiring his rights, you can make the argument that finding the face of the franchise has been severely long overdue. On the other hand, staying put in the draft gives the team the opportunity to sink picks into filling numerous holes that still exist on the roster. I for one will be backing Mike and Bruce if they take the plunge for a franchise QB in RG3, or if they stay the course and attempt the patient approach to building a team...both of which are refreshing ideas in Washington and for its fans.

Peyton Manning on the other hand is an entirely different story. That smells of the same old same old for me, and despite his pedigree, it's a risk and situation the Redskins don't need at this juncture.

This post echoes my thoughts exactly. I think I'll be ok either way regarding RGIII.

I would only favor bringing Manning in as a placeholder for a young guy, but I doubt Manning would agree to that.

This post echoes my thoughts exactly. I think I'll be ok either way regarding RGIII.

I would only favor bringing Manning in as a placeholder for a young guy, but I doubt Manning would agree to that.

I know it's much too late to say "what if." With that being said, wouldn't it have been nice had Shanahan and Allen shown a bit more patience upon their arrival in D.C. and begun placing an emphasis on infusing the team with draft picks immediately? It would have been great had they taken last year's draft approach and used it in year one of them being in charge as well. You would have two years of stockpiling picks and improving the depth of the franchise already under your belt. Instead, we dabbled with the likes of McNabb, thinking that we could compete and didn't bring in much of anything in terms of draft picks outside of Williams and Riley. There should have been more of a premium placed on trying to stockpile a few extra picks in 2010, especially considering that we were already without a third rounder that year, having acquired Jarmon.

All in all, it's the mistakes made in year one of the Shanahan/Allen era draft-wise that will make moving up to take Griffin even more of a risk from the standpoint of our franchise. I'd say dive in head first for RG3 and move heaven and earth without a shadow of a doubt had the 2010 draft worked out much more successfully. Now, while I can live with making the jump for RG3, I'm somewhat guarded due to 2010.

Last edited:
Agreed on all that too, CH. But at least Shanahan and Allen seem to have righted the course after the first year's misstep. After years and years and years of not doing that, I'll take it. :) Better late than never.

I echo CH thoughts. Allen and Shanahan have a price in mind for RG3 and won't move off it. Heard Allen say they not only have a plan B, but working on plan D and E.

Whichever way our FO goes I am behind them. We have a plan and willing to work it accordingly. They won't give up the farm.

It is much like buying cars at auction. You have to know the max your willing to pay and must stick to it. If get caught in the emotion of a bidding war you can quickly over pay.

I feel the FO has checked their ego's at the door and will do what is best.

According to this league "source" the Browns are the favorites.

Don't assume he is ours, my friends. We don't call the shots here. If the Browns really want him......they get him.

Also, the Jets are supposedly the sleeper team:

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2012/02/per-league-source-st-louis-rams-have.html

I think writers make stuff up, and call it a "league source." Or they interview a janitor from the Browns' facility or something. Either that, or every team tells specific people to reveal specific things, all in the name of strategy. I've read "sources" that say Cleveland is not willing to relinquish both 1sts, and that Holmgren will not trade up to #2. So, I guess its all just who you WANT to believe.

Money post here - dead-on bullseye. Peyton just feels like the wrong direction, I don't care what his accolades are.

And I will support whatever direction the Skins decide to go in April - as they are all winners. While franchise QB is certainly the most pressing need - trading back and acquiring a bevy of picks and a late-1st/early-2nd QB would also feel like a win.

But I really want RG3...

Remember that NOT getting RG3 would be a double whammy.
Obviously, not only because of the huge void it would leave on our team.
But also the fact that he would end up on an opponent we would eventually have to face, it's just a matter of how often we face him.

While I know you have to draw a line somewhere, I keep looking at Griffin and wondering where that line really is. Can you put a price on returning a ancient and storied franchise to relevance? Can you put a price on a guy who could fill the whirling vortex for nothingness that has been the QB position in Washington for 2 decades now?

I'm not sure.

Granted, it is a team sport and you have to have something to go with your talented QB but a Top 5 QB can certainly make up for mediocre talent at the other 10 positions on offense. This team has shown that it has at least mediocre talent at those positions and in some cases more than mediocre.

While I love the direction this team went last year with the draft and I truly want to continue with that direction, I look at young Mr Griffin with his physical and mental gifts, and his professional attitude, and I wonder if there is a price too high...

It's mind boggling how much it would theoretically cost to just move up JUST FOUR spots in a draft. Who woulda thunk that there would be such a HUGE gap between a #6 and a #2 pick in a draft. I bet nothing in history comes remotely close to this trade value, in comparable draft swaps. It will probably blow to pieces the trade Ditka made to get Ricky Williams.

Last edited:
Saints sent 6 picks in 1999 (their entire draft) plus 1st & 3rd round choices in 2000 to the Skins (8 picks!) for the chance to draft Williams. They were at 12, trying to move down to 5.

From what I've heard, it will take our first, 2nd and a later pick plus next year's first to move into the 2nd pick. Not even close!

(The saddest part of this is that the Skins were unable to turn this bevy of picks into ANYTHING).

I think writers make stuff up, and call it a "league source." Or they interview a janitor from the Browns' facility or something. Either that, or every team tells specific people to reveal specific things, all in the name of strategy. I've read "sources" that say Cleveland is not willing to relinquish both 1sts, and that Holmgren will not trade up to #2. So, I guess its all just who you WANT to believe.

I wasn't in the area when LaConfora was around, but wasn't he regularly used in this fashion to get word out. Wasn't he used by Snyder often for misinformation?

I think it is going to turn out to bid between Cleveland, Miami and us. I know KC and Seattle will be calling but like someone else said I think the Rams stay in the top ten. Report that I have heard says the Rams want a similar to deal to what the Chargers got from the Giants in 04. That would 2 1st's a 3rd and a 5th. That is a done deal as far as I am concerned. If we could keep our 2nd round pick this year then we have to consider that I win for us. I would be willing to go 1st, 3rd, 4th this year and a 1st and maybe even a 4th next year. The question is do the Rams want to get this deal done soon? I know that is what we want because waiting until the draft is going to be hell but it might be what the Rams want too. Once Manning and Flynn find new teams that might take out some bidders and the Rams don't want that. Let's say Miami gets Manning and Flynn goes to Cleveland that would make the Skins the only suitors with a top ten pick. I know the other side is that a team that doesn't get their QB situation solved in free agency might be more desperate so it should be interesting.

Kansas City is getting behind Cassell - they hired Brian Daboll as OC, and he runs the offense Matt has had the most success in.

Kansas City is getting behind Cassell - they hired Brian Daboll as OC, and he runs the offense Matt has had the most success in.

Interesting tidbit. Thanks for passing this along!

Like many I'm sure, I've got my fingers crossed that we'll trade for the #2 pick ahead of the draft maybe even as soon as next week.

While a number of teams have been thrown out as possible competition to trade up, I think: 1) teams without a dire need for a QB will not be as motivated and therefore will not offer enough in trade competition to best us and 2) teams outside of the top 10 will have to offer so much that it might become untenable besides which the Rams might simply be uncomfortable trading down that far and missing out on a blue chip player.

I think the teams with top level QB needs will also be the ones offering the most for the top free agent QBs.

Therefore, it comes down to matching up the teams with top level QB needs with the top QBs in free agency and the draft.

I've got the teams with top level QB needs as follows: IND, CLE, WAS, MIA and SEA.

MIN, JAC, BUF, KC, ARI, NYJ, and DEN will stick likely with their incumbents for at least one more season maybe bringing in some more affordable options to increase competition.

As for our competition for RG3, here's how I can see things playing out:
IND: Drafts Luck
CLE: Signs Flynn
MIA: Signs Manning, hedges bets by drafting Tannehill
SEA: TBD - STL is NOT going to trade with them - they pick 12th and oh yeah they're in the same division!

As many have stated and as evidenced by the above scenario the leverage game could definitely turn in our favor once free agency starts to play out, so STL would be wise to work out a deal with us before then.

One more thing - this "mystery team" business is an obvious bargaining tactic to try to counter the fact that Bruce Allen can easily handicap the race for QBs and outline the exact scenario presented above. However, given that the Rams COO (I believe this is his title) Kevin Demoff used to work with (for?) Bruce Allen, Allen probably taught him this trick...

What could go wrong:
SEA: Signs Manning
MIA: Signs Flynn
CLE trades up to #2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.