• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is Tannehill a reach at #6?

Is Tannehill a reach at #6 or a reach anywhere in the 1st round?

• Good pick at #6

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Good pick lower in the first round

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Reach at #6

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Reach anywhere in the 1st Round

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
Rich_TandlerRich Tandler
Tannehill possibly injured, commence panic.

TonyPaulineTony Pauline
Multiple sources have told me Ryan Tannehill/QB/Tex A&M suffered a significant foot injury last week during training in Florida. More later

No panic, it's not like we drafted him. All it does is change the proper poll responses. He is now officially a "reach" for any of the first THREE rounds.
We still have options. It's better for that to happen before the draft, rather than after. Maybe this guarantees we trade up for RG

Last edited:
I agree with the idea of him being a first round pick but not at six overall. He is still very much a project. A former WR and if it is in the Shanaplan to draft him then we need a starter for 2012.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Agreed. Especially in light of the latest injury news. I'm not sure if Miami would draft him sitting right behind us. If not, Seattle seems like a very likely spot for him to be selected.

Don't be surprised if we draft two QBs. Too, the option for Luck is still on the table and RG3 may be the fallback plan. Like it was written earlier - Coach Shanahan is crafty and will pull some nice surprises during a draft.

Then...

It would not surprise me to see someone like Kellen Moore taken in the 5th round. I think he has a lot of upside and could allow the Redskins to trade him for a high draft pick in 2013 - provided that he has a great preseason and any good outings as a backup who is pressed into service or in relief.

Yes, two QBs. In the draft game last year, I predicted (pounding chest like a dork) that we would take Helu and Royster. Coach Shanahan has been very adamant about the QB position in recent weeks.

I would think 2 QB's would be a given to be honest and on top of it a vet. I was wondering if Chad Henne might be an option to push a rookie for the starting position provided we get RGIII or somehow fall into Luck (pun intended). He is not a "mobile" QB in the traditional sense of the word, but he can scramble when pressured. I would think he'd be able to run the Shanahan offense as a backup at least.

I would think Rex will get another one year contract, but I would just assume cut ties with him regardless of his knowledge of the system.

The good thing about Rex is we can wait until after the draft to sign him. If we don't need him then we don't have to resign him but if we need depth he'll be there. Its not like he will catch on anywhere else
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I would not bring Rex back at all.

Everything else being even, Kyle Shanahan admitted himself last week in reference to drafting a rookie, that a new QB could learn this system and start his first year.

If that is truly the case, then in addition to a rookie this team can add a smart veteran in free agency or via trade to come in and be the transition to the younger qb.

We don't need Rex back.

Could be good and bad. I would think his stock will drop some, so we could pick up a little later than we originally thought. But... injury risk doesn't thrill me.

Ryan Tannehill will likely require surgery to repair a fractured 5th metatarsal in his foot. Would be out for Combine. http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7417/ryan-tannehill

https://twitter.com/#!/evansilva/status/157494051279613954

And if anyone's interested here's an in depth discussion of fifth metatarsal injuries and treatment by Dr. Mark Myerson M.D. who would know about such things.

Dr Mark S. Myerson, M.D. is the renowned Orthopedic and Medical Director for The Institute for Foot and Ankle Reconstruction at Mercy Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland. Dr Myerson is one of the world's foremost experts on foot and ankle reconstruction and injury. He has pioneered surgical techniques that have revolutionized the diagnosis, treatment and recovery of disorders of the foot and ankle. His outstanding knowledge of foot and ankle conditions means that he is the expert of choice for many elite athletes from the NFL, NBA and European soccer leagues. PhysioRoom.com recently caught up with him to discuss the latest thinking on Fifth Metatarsal fractures.

http://www.physioroom.com/experts/expertupdate/interview_mark_myerson.php

Could be good and bad. I would think his stock will drop some, so we could pick up a little later than we originally thought. But... injury risk doesn't thrill me.

Yeah and people thought Bradford would drop due to injury at this point a couple years ago, too. :(

that's gonna cost him.

btw...giuy at work today was raving about some QB from Ok State named Weeden. A bit older than usual for collegiate QBs. my friend knows his football.

you have any intel on Weeden?

Here's a couple fansince-first WalterFootball.

Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.90.
Projected Round (2012): 4-5.
1/9/12: Weeden completed 72 percent of his passes for 4,727 yards for 37 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He had a massive game in leading a furious comeback win over Texas A&M. Weeden had a rough game against Iowa State in an upset loss that killed any hope of Oklahoma State reaching the BCS National Championship Game. Throughout 2011, he displayed a strong, accurate arm and good pocket passing skills.

Weeden finished his season with a huge game against a good Stanford defense. In the Fiesta Bowl, he threw for 399 yards and three touchdowns. Having Justin Blackmon made his job a lot easier as the nation's best receiver accounted for 186 of those yards, and all three touchdowns. If Weeden were six or seven years younger, he would be ranked at the very least on the second day of the draft.

8/18/11: Brandon Weeden is college football's current version of Chris Weinke, a baseball prospect who turned to football in his mid-20s. As a result, Weeden is going to be a 29-year old rookie in the NFL. Last year, he completed 67 percent of his passes for 4,277 yards with 34 touchdowns against 13 interceptions. Weeden did a fabulous job of getting the ball to his playmakers. He has a strong arm, excellent pocket presence, good decision making and can make all the throws. Weeden's age is such a limiting factor in his draft status. It is essential for Weeden to

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012QB.php

This from MockingTheDraft.

First word: Among the quarterbacks in the 2012 NFL Draft, Brandon Weeden is one of the better rhythm throwers. He's a timing-based quarterback who will need to be in the right system to succeed. The trouble could be finding that system. Weeden is a 28-year-old former minor league baseball player. Unless he really becomes a sensation, it's hard to see a team taking him in the first two rounds of the draft.

Notes:

Possesses a moderately strong arm to deliver deep passes. Tends to place his passes near the sideline too high. It's a correctable issue, but an odd one.

Due to his advanced age, Weeden's potential is likely maxed out.

When he gets in rhythm, Weeden can be hard to slow down. It seems the more completions in a row he gets, the more confident he becomes.

Seems to read the defense fairly well. Because he plays in a shot gun, Weeden has to take his eye off the defense to make sure he catches the ball.

Has a throwing motion that will need some refinement. Will hold the ball below his chest, elongating his delivery.

Has a tendency to tap the ball before throwing it. This sort of tell could be a killer at the next level as it will allow defensive linemen a chance to time a bat down.

Good enough size for the position, though he doesn't have the strongest build.

Shows enough athleticism to leave the pocket and avoid the rush.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/9/26/2451729/brandon-weeden-nfl-draft-prospect-notes

One more from Tom Melton Scouting.

Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State- Weeden has definitely had better nights. He was checking down a lot and throwing a LOT of bubble screens which kind of bothered me. More importantly he was checking down in critical situations. He was throwing underneath and into the backfield on 3rd downs late in the fourth quarter instead of pushing the ball downfield. Now, Blackmon was well covered overall tonight and if it weren’t for some bubble screens he probably wouldn’t have had many catches, and while Moore and Cooper stepped up when Weeden got them the ball it didn’t seem like he was consistently making good reads and good decisions tonight. He didn’t come up big in crunch time when his team needed him (until he made a nice touchdown throw to Cooper in the first OT which was immediately followed by an interception on a tipped ball that was forced to Blackmon against pretty solid coverage) and that’s a problem for me when evaluating QB prospects. Considering his age, his throwing motion which could stand to be tinkered with to speed up his release, and some of his issues in this close game it’s hard for me to grade him as a 3rd round prospect right now.

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/oklahoma-state-iowa-state-prospect-recap/

It does make you think that due to his age that Weeden will drop in the draft to the point to were he might be a really good value.

A 29-year old rookie from a timing offense...PASS.

1) Timing offense QBs don't often do well in the NFL, despite monster college numbers - see all University of Hawaii QBs ever. Plus, if we wanted a timing offense QB who put up monster numbers, just draft Case Keenum from Houston. Same guy, 5 years younger.

2) Old QBs don't often do well in the NFL. John Beck, Chris Weinke are two primary examples.

1) Timing offense QBs don't often do well in the NFL, despite monster college numbers - see all University of Hawaii QBs ever. Plus, if we wanted a timing offense QB who put up monster numbers, just draft Case Keenum from Houston. Same guy, 5 years younger.

2) Old QBs don't often do well in the NFL. John Beck, Chris Weinke are two primary examples.

Good points! I can't argue with either statetment. Having the best WR in the country didn't hurt Weeden either.

Tannehill's injury might drop him a little bit but not much. He might be there in the 2nd round if we miss on RG3 and Shanahan likes him more than Foles.

Kurt Warner...you're right!

I don't really care. Just interested since my friend thought highly of the guy. I'll have to brief him that the consensus is he has is head up the ole wazu!

Ryan Tannehill reminds me a lot of Jason Campbell. I don't like his release, or rather the wind up I see at times. He looked to stare at his target on most of the highlights I saw and saw him throw some really really poor throws under distress. I don't a lot of college ball, but youtube is my friend this time of year. I like that RGIII just flicks the ball downfield like Vick... and doesn't have to wind up like Tannehill/Campbell.... Sorry the comparison is spooky for me, except that Campbell really couldn't throw on the run and Tannehill seems to have that down.

I don't feel right about the kid. I can't help it.

He's a reach at six. Not polished, is inconsistent at times and now has a broken foot to boot.

That said, most QBs are reaches based on available prospects on the board but that's what you have to do at times to get the guy you want to lead your team.

Last year many of the teams reached on QBs. Titans, Vikings, 49ers in particular stand out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.