• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is Tannehill a reach at #6?

Is Tannehill a reach at #6 or a reach anywhere in the 1st round?

• Good pick at #6

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Good pick lower in the first round

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Reach at #6

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Reach anywhere in the 1st Round

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
He's a reach at six. Not polished, is inconsistent at times and now has a broken foot to boot.

That said, most QBs are reaches based on available prospects on the board but that's what you have to do at times to get the guy you want to lead your team.

Last year many of the teams reached on QBs. Titans, Vikings, 49ers in particular stand out.

Tannehill is no doubt a reach at #6 but I like him more than Ponder coming out last year. So that tells me he could go in the top 12 to 15 range. My top five QB's as of Janurary 14th at approx 1:30 pm is 1) Andrew Luck 2) RG3 3) Ryan Tannehill 4) Nick Foles 5) Brock Osweiler. Brandon Weeden is 28 years old and Kirk Cousons is a career backup in my opinion. If we don't land Luck (not going to happen) or RG3 then we have to get a free agent QB that can run things for a while.

Just my opinion but if the Titans haven't had reached for Locker he would be in a Redskins uniform right now.

Tannehill isn't a reach at #6, he's a monumental reach :)
Tannehill is a reach in the first round guys.

Unless the Shanahan's really believe some lesser heralded QB in this class is a hidden gem, I'd prefer we skip the QB position entirely this draft if we're not going to get Luck or RGIII. We don't need to waste a pick on a project QB. It's not about the 2012 season - it's about building all of the supporting foundation for success and eventually finding a franchise QB. We already have a flawed QB starter. If we can't get a future QB star this offseason, there's no reason not to keep Grossman for another year while we continue to grow around him.

Using a first round pick on a guy like Tannehill - again, unless they really believe he's the most underrated QB coming out of college in years - would be a real gamble. We've done enough gambling imho.

Unless the Shanahan's really believe some lesser heralded QB in this class is a hidden gem, I'd prefer we skip the QB position entirely this draft if we're not going to get Luck or RGIII. We don't need to waste a pick on a project QB. It's not about the 2012 season - it's about building all of the supporting foundation for success and eventually finding a franchise QB. We already have a flawed QB starter. If we can't get a future QB star this offseason, there's no reason not to keep Grossman for another year while we continue to grow around him.

Using a first round pick on a guy like Tannehill - again, unless they really believe he's the most underrated QB coming out of college in years - would be a real gamble. We've done enough gambling imho.

I agree, unless he drops to a mid rounder I wouldnt pick him, however if we did sign flynn it gives us a chance at signing him as a developmental player.

All do respect I disagree completely. I would rather draft one of these rookies and start him day one than bring Grossman back. I am fine with Flynn, Garrard or even Orton before I would bring Grossman back.

I'm as sick of Grossman as anyone. But what's the point of wasting draft picks (whether directly or indirectly going after a free agent) if the new 'starter' isn't going to be a long-term starter. If we're not going to get 'the guy' this offseason, we can easily plug-in Beck for a season vs. wasting picks on another average QB.

Orton I might feel differently about. I think the Redskins made a mistake last off-season not grabbing him. He's better than average when he isn't asked to win games on his own. I know some don't have that high an opinion of him. I don't know his situation, but again, even though I like him, I think it makes no sense going after him now if it takes picks to make it happen. Short getting a real QB in the draft this season, we aren't a playoff team next year. Grossman's hot and cold play is annoying for all of us, but if all we are going to do at the QB spot this year is maintain a placeholder, he (or Beck) are capable of being that for a year until we do find a long-term solution.

All that being said, I want us to do whatever it takes to get RGIII. He's a future star.

All that being said, I want us to do whatever it takes to get RGIII. He's a future star.

Absolutely, I think he is a franchise changer. I just wonder if Shanahan and Allen will offer enough to move up.

I think the 'wildcard' factor in any 'trade up' scenario is what player the teams ahead of us really want (if they aren't going after a QB). In other words, if a team really covets Blackmon or someone else, the deciding factor on who a trade-down partner is may come down to which partner allows them to pick up extra picks but still be able to 'get their man' whomever that might be.

When you start looking at it from that perspective, it gets really complex because then other factors like trying to guess what picks the first 7 or 8 teams drafting are really going to make comes into play.

We can't take comfort in the knowledge that this is really all just mental masturbation for us as fans. Whatever is going to happen, will happen. And we'll be left to debate whether or not we made good decisions or not like we always do. Probably for years to come :)

To add to what Boone said, I don't think there is any way to even start to determine how guys come off the board from #2 to #5 until we know where Flynn is going, specifically whether he goes to the Browns or not. That and how much he gets to go wherever he goes. Those will be big tells for me.

I agree with all that but do we do anything about the QB situation in free agency? Plus if the Browns do get Flynn I still don't think we can sit back at six and hope RG3 we still have to move up. Right?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I'm a 'do whatever it takes to get RGIII' guy Lanky - at least to a point. I don't think we go Mike Ditka crazy to get him, but I'd go as high as swapping this year's first and giving up two future 1sts for him.

That's plenty crazy.

Gotchya. I agree, should do what it takes...to a point.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Well, I've probably verbalized at least 3 different opinions since the season ended :)
If Shanallen thinks there's a decent chance RGIII will be there at #6, I'd support staying there and praying. That's probably what you've heard me say.

Well, I've probably verbalized at least 3 different opinions since the season ended :)
If Shanallen thinks there's a decent chance RGIII will be there at #6, I'd support staying there and praying. That's probably what you've heard me say.

Boone, what I heard you say is "Status Quo is NOT an option". ;)

Well - I don't think any of us would argue with that. 'Status Quo' for me is defined by the belief that we can win with a) the QBs on the current roster, or b) with some plug-in free agent.

I don't believe we can. We have to get a real QB. How we accomplish that, or whether it's this off-season, or next, I'm flexible on.

Unless I change my mind.

You've long been an advocate for getting that franchise QB....and through the draft if possible, even if it means moving up (see Bradford, Sam). I wasn't so sure, at that time, that we needed to do that. I am now.

Well - I don't think any of us would argue with that. 'Status Quo' for me is defined by the belief that we can win with a) the QBs on the current roster, or b) with some plug-in free agent.

I don't believe we can. We have to get a real QB. How we accomplish that, or whether it's this off-season, or next, I'm flexible on.

Unless I change my mind.

agree with first para.

get the QB now...whatever it takes.

same conclusion I have reached.

It astounds me that we have Skin fans that actually would be alright bringing Grossman back for another year.

If we don't sign or draft our long-term QB this year, I don't see the benefit of bringing in yet another placeholder for a year (or two). At least Grossman knows the offense and can solidify the knowledge of the guys around him until we do find our franchise QB.

For me, it's about not wasting resources (like we did with McNabb). We need to make decisions that are going to be about the long-term, not about next year's record or the happiness of the fan base.

Again - I'd argue we do just about anything to get our guy this draft. That's my overwhelming preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.