• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

No Grill, No Chill....

Got me one of those last year. Just finished some fine burgers on mine tonight. Great grill. Prefer straight cast iron over the porcelin, though.

Says they have a porcelain cover - but look like straight cast iron to me.

I'm going to be grilling some romaine too. Thanks for the suggestion. I've never even heard of that before.

I'm going to be grilling some romaine too. Thanks for the suggestion. I've never even heard of that before.
It's awesome, just had some myself. Pork burgers (doctors orders no beef for a while, the bastard), grilled romaine and corn on the cob. Awesome stuff. I would've done the romaine last night, but for anyone who didn't hear, we got our ass kicked by some tornadoes last night out here in southeast VA. Had one come within a mile of my house, too close for my blood. Made the romaine taste that much better tonight :D

I live in Alabama..I know all about tornadoes. They are all over the place here. Every other time we have a storm the tornado sirens sing.

Grills are not allowed at the complex where I live. For now, I make-do with the Foreman.

It's awesome, just had some myself. Pork burgers (doctors orders no beef for a while, the bastard), grilled romaine and corn on the cob. Awesome stuff. I would've done the romaine last night, but for anyone who didn't hear, we got our ass kicked by some tornadoes last night out here in southeast VA. Had one come within a mile of my house, too close for my blood. Made the romaine taste that much better tonight :D

Didn't do much grilling Saturday night because of the storms. Didn't feel like grilling tonight as well. A dear friend lost her brother to the storm in Gloucester.

I don't understand this gas vs charcoal debate. Currently I have a Weber gas (like Boone mine has been rebuilt and 8-9 yrs old), a Weber 22" Kettle, and a Chargriller smoker. This way however I want to cook the right method is on hand. If weren't for stepdaughter getting married and son in college I would be looking at new Weber gas or a new smoker.

Don't under sell charcoal. This method takes us back to our origins by creating fire. I love charcoal. Fire up a chimney of lump and sit back with dog and plus beverage of choice for a relaxing cook. Gas is greatif in a hurry, but charcoal is relaxing.

Back to work while dream of supper.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I agree for the most part here - I cook with charcoal for the most part, since both my landlord & girlfriend have charcoal grills, however a gas grill is nice if you want to cook something quickly. With my schedule, sometimes I just don't have the hour and a half to two hours it takes to cook with charcoal.

I do disagree that the flavor difference is negligible (LOL @ Ax's post); you definitely get more of a smoky flavor with charcoal than with gas. However you can do wood chips in a tin foil pouch to get smoky flavor, so its not a huge deal.

Didn't do much grilling Saturday night because of the storms. Didn't feel like grilling tonight as well. A dear friend lost her brother to the storm in Gloucester.
That sucks, I wish the best for everyone and their families and friends. I saw one neighborhood where the lady literally lost everything. Her house was destroyed, both cars vanished, and all her belongings were gone. Most devastating though was that in her family of four, she was the only survivor. This poor lady is like 75 years old and lost it all. How do you ever start over in that position? It's so sad.

The asshole reporters walking around asking everyone what it's like, need to be shot and evacuated.

OK, I jumped on the Romaine bandwagon tonight, and it was terrific! The whole family loved it. I grilled the lettuce and asparagus, made a potato/emanthaler gratin, then pan seared and braised in sherry some lamb chops.

Fantastic!

OK, I jumped on the Romaine bandwagon tonight, and it was terrific! The whole family loved it. I grilled the lettuce and asparagus, made a potato/emanthaler gratin, then pan seared and braised in sherry some lamb chops.

Fantastic!
Told ya :D Glad everybody loves it as much as I do. I haven't met a hater of it yet.

Gonna try Extreme's grilled Romaine hearts on Thursday w/ the lemon-juice mod, but I'm using EVO (the good stuff). ;)

Gonna try Extreme's grilled Romaine hearts on Thursday w/ the lemon-juice mod, but I'm using EVO (the good stuff). ;)
Gross. I don't get the obsession with EVOO. It didn't start until Rachel Ray came around. If you do a blind taste test of EVOO vs. pure olive oil, I assure you the extra virgin will make you gag.

I don't know, maybe I'm just an olive oil snob because I grew up eating authentic sicilian food with pure sicilian olive oil as a kid, but I just can't stomach the plastic taste of EVOO.

Then again, I also think cilantro is the single most disgusting herb and it tastes like Windex, but everyone else I know loves it :laugh: Maybe it is me that's wrong.

I posted this in the "what's for dinner" thread; I'm not sure where you're coming from. Extra-virgin is the top-level of olive oil quality, it is the first press of the olives. "Pure" olive oil often denotes a mix of virgin & refined oils.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil#Retail_grades_in_IOC_member_nations
I don't even have to read that, I know exactly how it's made. Doesn't change the fact that the flavor is nauseating :D

Just because Food Network experts and yuppies have declared EVOO is better tasting, doesn't mean it is. Caviar sucks, truffles taste like spoiled mildew stench, and liver patte is the single worst food I've ever tasted - but the same crowd thinks those are the greatest foods the world has to offer.

Just because something costs more, doesn't make it taste good. But, as I said earlier, it's a matter of taste and preference. Personally, I don't like the taste of my food to be covered up by one of its ingredients, and with EVOO, that is the only thing you taste.

I don't know, maybe my taste buds are too acute and overly sensitive to flavors. But I've been cooking for 22 years and never had one complaint from friends, family, neighbors, judges, etc.

Olive oil grades are typically a U.S. thing anyway. The oil I use is Bonelli. Straight from Italy. The oil you buy from the stores that is listed as EVOO, isn't really EVOO, it's a marketing gimmick.

True EVOO is dark and cloudy, with sediment in it. Unless it says cold pressed and unfiltered, it isn't really EV. The **** our grocery stores market as EVOO is highly filtered, because we don't have the same regulations and grading guidelines that the European Union does. It also isn't dark and cloudy or full of sediment, more indication that it has been filtered.

The oil I use is unfiltered and pure. Pure by EU guidelines, not US guidelines. Totally different product.

Last edited:
LOL, fair enough. Although for the record, I hate caviar (except roe on sushi which I tolerate), never eaten truffles except *flavoring in things (have to admit the black truffle mac 'n' cheese at Bourbon Steak in DC is the best I've ever had), and I don't think I've ever had liver pate. :)

EDIT: if you're ever invited over to dinner by an Italian or Greek, don't share your opinions of EVO with them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a fan of Caviar, but fish roe should be scrambled with eggs. Then again I'm a fan of dried salted cod with bacon drippings poured over top for breakfast.

Any waterman will tell you hard to beat be salted fish for breakfast.

LOL, fair enough. Although for the record, I hate caviar (except roe on sushi which I tolerate), never eaten truffles except in things (have to admit the black truffle mac 'n' cheese at Bourbon Steak in DC is the best I've ever had), and I don't think I've ever had liver pate. :)

EDIT: if you're ever invited over to dinner by an Italian or Greek, don't share your opinions of EVO with them. :)
Half of my family is Sicilian, and half is Irish. The Sicilians are like me - EVOO is garbage. Like I said, just because tv and magazines want you to believe EVOO is the olive oil god and most popular, doesn't mean it is. Prior to the late 90's, most grocery stores didn't even carry it. Next time you go shopping, look at the olive oil. Most of what everyone carries is either virgin or pure. The EVOO gets maybe a couple of facings. It isn't as popular as the hype would lead you to believe.

Most restaurants I worked in when I was young didn't use it, and my brother in law refuses to put it in the restaurants he runs (he is executive chef/buyer for a lot of the restaurants run by Holiday Inn along the mid atlantic)

Not a fan of Caviar, but fish roe should be scrambled with eggs. Then again I'm a fan of dried salted cod with bacon drippings poured over top for breakfast.

Any waterman will tell you hard to beat be salted fish for breakfast.

I love roe, caviar is horrible though. I'm a fan of all types of food. I'm a country boy from the city though, so I eat a lot of country/southern breakfast. Even the occasional scrapple or pig brains with scrambled eggs. Don't knock it till you try it bitches :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.