• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Your Draft React?

Some Braeden Daniels love… Logan Paulson has also made some Trent Williams comparisons …

Reactions: Om
One of things that made Trent Williams special as a young player in the NFL was his quickness off the ball at 6'5 and 318 in pass pro while able to mash in the run game.

Daniels may have above average quickness and lateral movement but at only 294 pounds I would think you have to discount a bit of that at the NFL level until he shows he can hold up and/or gain some weight and strength while not losing quickness.

He's a decent mid round prospect in Round 4 to be an understudy at tackle. So, that's a 1-2 year development process to see what he can do.

And I don't have a problem with that if Washington had a solid OL from LT to RT and we were simply looking for depth.

My issue comes in where we go through a draft where we need a STARTER or two on the OL and we don't get around to addressing the position until this late - post the 100 pick.

I have read some articles that Washington may be looking at him as a guard but given his size and overall profile I don't see that happening. I hope these reports are off-base.

Yes - I think most if not all agree that OL should have been a bigger priority. The other thing about Daniels is the PAC 12 is not the greatest proving ground for pro talent although he reportedly did play well against other conference competition when given the opportunity.

I do think it’s possible that both Stromberg and Daniels end up as starters and perhaps sooner than we think. I’ve read that both were rated much higher on some boards than where they were eventually drafted.

I don't disagree that Andrew Norwell, Chris Paul, Chase Rouillier, etc. across the board are a weak enough unit that a rookie with raw talent but the need for further development could still get on the field for us in 2023.

My only point there is the results will likely be similar to 2022, a fourth place finish in the division and Sam Howell still having to run for his life on more than the odd occasion.

Again, the irony is this is the type of safe, don't rock the boat draft you see from a GM or Head Coach that has job security and can afford to wait on guys to come in and find their place.

Me personally as GM, I would have acquired Kincaid and Schmitz or Tippman and tried to roll into 2023 with rookie starters that could help us win some games from the get go.

Yep. Avila was on my list of trade up candidates as well. They were incredibly conservative in this draft with their jobs presumably on the line. Weird.

It certainly would be a step in the right direction for a mid to late round selection like Paul to make it as a starter in the league when previous picks from Saahdiq Charles, Wes Martin, Keith Ismael and Ross Pierschbacher all turned out to be disappointments.

Under the cap you can't afford to solve all of the OL issues with first round picks as we did on the defensive line.

I’d forgotten we even drafted Pierschbacher lol…

I only remembered him when I was going down the list of practice squad players around the NFL and saw his name on the Detroit Lions roster :LOL:

Name doesn't have the ring of a hall of fame center now does it? :p

Interesting if accurate…

Fits Dallas' defense, a bit undersized with speed on the outside and a very good pass rush from the DE position to protect him in man coverage.

Of course, picking where Dallas was at #27 or #28, Forbes would have represented greater value than at #16.

Here you see Rivera shutting down an attempt to move up because he is stuck on Quan Martin, a guy I am highly skeptical is going to prove worthy of his draft position (granted, it's early).

I mentioned that the Buffalo game gave me the sense that this is likely still a seven to eight win team. Part of taking that next leap is getting production from your draft. Forbes seems to be doing fairly well, but as a first round pick, you would think that he would see the bulk of snaps, which he is certainly not. Combine that with Martin, Stromberg, and Daniels, and you have very little impact from your top four picks.

Compare that to Detroit for instance with the likes of Branch, Campbell, Gibbs, and LaPorta with their first four picks and you can start to see why that team is truly ascending.

I'm not saying Forbes can't prove to be a great pick, but I actually think he is struggling quite a bit (hence his reduced playing time). And the concerning part for me is that the primary reason he was drafted, his supposed great hands and ball-hawking skills, is an area he is struggling with. And Quan Martin has been a complete non-factor to date. I'm very skeptical about the decisions in this most recent draft. I was when those picks were made, and I remain so.

Quan (through no fault of his own) is the one judged harshest. He was the "prove us wrong pick" because most of us questioned picking two dbs in a row especially on a team with multiple glaring weaknesses and a pretty good saftey group to begin with.

Quan (through no fault of his own) is the one judged harshest. He was the "prove us wrong pick" because most of us questioned picking two dbs in a row especially on a team with multiple glaring weaknesses and a pretty good saftey group to begin with.

additionally, because there was some SERIOUS offensive line talent still on the board at the time of the pick..

additionally, because there was some SERIOUS offensive line talent still on the board at the time of the pick..
Have you looked to see what the guys we all wanted them to take are doing? I'm just curious how many are starters on the o-line for the teams that picked them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.