• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Your Draft React?

Yeah, when the best you you can do on your self eval is express regret and say you’re comfortable… that tells me mayhew’s draft grade for himself is a C.

"comfortable" has 8-8-1 written all over it
Depends on Howell.

If Howell is "him" they'll win more than eight.

But I'm sure if Mayhew traded up and lost draft capital, we'd all fuss about what he gave up...lol

Depends on Howell.

If Howell is "him" they'll win more than eight.

But I'm sure if Mayhew traded up and lost draft capital, we'd all fuss about what he gave up...lol

I agree.. the sound of the quote just had a lot of 'acceptance' instead of aggressiveness. NFC has very little in the way of 'powerhouse' type teams. Go win.. and I am 100% in the camp that Howell is the right way to go this year, but damnit don't just be 'comfortable' with the team you build around the guy. Someone told me a long time ago "if you get out of your car and dont look back at it as you walk way... you bought the wrong car."

This team has been a Toyota Camry for a while now... I want one we want to look back at and appreciate...

I think he could have chosen his words a little better. I hate overanalyzing of every word from a front office, but he could have easily said "we like the guys we got" instead of saying they are comfortable with who they got. That signals to the fanbase they settled, whether they did or didn't, that's how it comes across.

Me personally, I'm glad they didn't give up future picks to move up because I don't think these guys are the ones making the picks next year. So let's leave the next staff as much ammunition as they can so they can choose what to do with it.

I didn't hate the draft. But I didn't love it.

It's a little different I guess for me, as it's hard to get swept up in the moment of the draft because of the time difference. I think it was gone 3am when the first pick came in, so I was a little (okay A LOT) punch drunk tired when it happened.
But the Forbes pick didn't blow me away. My reaction to it was 'Huh.' *shrug*. And then I went to sleep, not really buzzing or disappointed. It was much the same on day 2 and beyond.
On reading up on the players we picked, I don't hate them and I get the reasoning in alot of senses. I think if I was rating the draft I'd give it a kind of boring B. Solid. Workmanlike. I don't think we got any 'knock it out of the park' starting studs, but at the same time it looks like we got a bunch of possibly solid role players. Which I guess is what Ron and co wanted.

The Forbes pick worries me. His weight and frame have already been mentioned, but I also worry about his playmaking ability translating to the NFL. Pick 6's seem to me like a pretty flukey thing. It feels like he was drafted purely for that skillset, which I feel makes this a dangerous pick (no pun intended). I kind of feel like I'd almost put a small wager on the fact that this kid doesn't get a single interception on the year. Does that them make him a bust? Even if he plays solidly?

I still worry about the O-Line. I was underwhelmed by the Free Agent signings, and while there's potential in the draft picks I don't see a sure thing there. I think we'll be better than last year, but I'm still not sure that means we'll be good.

That said, maybe that's all we need across the board to be a better team. The Defense was already pretty darned good, and these picks should plug some holes. And I think it's fair to acknowledge that our offense was mostly held back by the QB And the OC. Howell looked good in his only start (at least good enough to roll with) and EB comes highly touted. Maybe that alone elevates us. But does it elevate us over and above even our division rivals? I don't know. It's super hard to judge the NFC East. A year ago we'd finished the worst division in football. Then last year we almost had all four teams in the playoffs. Unpredictability is the hallmark of the NFC East. As much as I think that the Eagles may be the first team to repeat as Div champs for years, I could also easily see Washington taking a step, getting a few more wins with better QB play and heading the division.

Should be an interesting season.

I agree.. the sound of the quote just had a lot of 'acceptance' instead of aggressiveness. NFC has very little in the way of 'powerhouse' type teams. Go win.. and I am 100% in the camp that Howell is the right way to go this year, but damnit don't just be 'comfortable' with the team you build around the guy. Someone told me a long time ago "if you get out of your car and dont look back at it as you walk way... you bought the wrong car."

This team has been a Toyota Camry for a while now... I want one we want to look back at and appreciate...
Camry? This team has been a black market Yugo with a duct taped engine.

Camry? This team has been a black market Yugo with a duct taped engine.
They're a Schlep car hoping Howell is the magic horn that turns them into Wonderbug. #70s #Kroftsupershow

They're a Schlep car hoping Howell is the magic horn that turns them into Wonderbug. #70s #Kroftsupershow
Wonderbug! That is an amazing pull. I remember really digging that show back in the day. I even dimly recall an episode where they turned wonderbug evil and gave him a Snydely Whiplash makeover.

This draft to me did nothing to close the gap between us and the likes of the Eagles and 49ers in the NFC. Did it close the gap between us and the #6 and #7 seeds in the NFC? Likely. However, that is not ultimately what you are shooting for.
To be fair, QB is the only position that is going to seriously move that needle in closing this gap, I think.

Last edited:
I think one thing that is going to help enormously in terms of the performance of our OL in 2023 regardless of the quality of the free agency and draft additions is that Sam Howell is pretty decisive and will get the ball out on time far more frequently than we saw from Heinicke and Wentz. Both of those guys had a tendency to hold onto the ball way too long which certainly made our OL deficiencies more obvious and glaring. With a QB under center who is far less prone to wait and wait and wait to make a decision, we may be surprised at how much more capable the OL looks whether it is that much more talented than the 20222 version or not.

To be fair, QB is the only position that is going to seriously move that needle, I think.

Not with this fanbase... at least on this board.

A stud LT, a dynamic TE, a stud LB, all would have given a surge to the feeling of the results of the draft.

3 days later, my reaction had gotten better... I think the secondary needed help. I think Quan fits a gaping hole we had considering the defensive scheme we generally run, needing a 3rd safety on the field that has 'plus' coverage skils. The additions of the interior O-Line are things we all said we needed to look at, and taking an edge defender that has the ability to contribute early, that can hopefuly develop into a starter after 2023 which answers some longer term questions.

And Reid sat him for almost a year.... as Rivera did with Howell ;) .

I understand the QB angst but as I have often said, Redskins Fans claim they have the patience for player development but in reality, if that draft pick doesn't perform at an All-Pro level the moment they hit the field....they label him a bust and want him gone.
There's a lot of adjustment going from college to pro. Those that seemingly hit the ground running are the exception, not the rule, IMO.

Hoping Howell gets a true shot...because there will be bumps along the way.

Not with this fanbase... at least on this board.

A stud LT, a dynamic TE, a stud LB, all would have given a surge to the feeling of the results of the draft.

3 days later, my reaction had gotten better... I think the secondary needed help. I think Quan fits a gaping hole we had considering the defensive scheme we generally run, needing a 3rd safety on the field that has 'plus' coverage skils. The additions of the interior O-Line are things we all said we needed to look at, and taking an edge defender that has the ability to contribute early, that can hopefuly develop into a starter after 2023 which answers some longer term questions.
Sure, ST. I get it.

It's my position though that adding those pieces won't catch Philly or SF if Howell can't elevate the offense beyond what it's been Ron's first 3 years.

My main concern with this draft is less about this draft than it is about Free Agency. Our player personnel group has really done an outstanding job of drafting since Ron took over while our Free Agency moves have been questionable, at best. Ron and Martin told us outright that they felt they were free to do what they wanted to do in the draft because we had addressed OL and LB in Free Agency. I would agree if I had any faith in their ability to bring in players who represent upgrades but I don't. Our OL took a significant step backward last year and a lot of that was the new guys Ron and Co recruited in Free Agency.

Gates - not an upgrade on Roullier IMO and has injury concerns just like everyone on the depth chart at C.
Wylie - in the bottom half of RTs in the league before playing the game of his life in the Super Bowl. Is he really an upgrade to Cosmi (who also can't stay healthy)?
Barton - might be a replacement for Holcombe but that is likely about all he is.

Maybe Forbes is a starter and maybe he isn't. Who do you sit for him? Fuller? St Juste? I don't know. Martin might see more game time than Forbes early on as I expect him to take over slot duties. Drafting Stromberg almost certainly means we let Larsen go and maybe Roullier as well. While it will save us some money, I think it makes the C position weaker overall unless Stromberg proves to be the best C on the roster.

Did we need help in the Secondary? Probably. But sinking our top two picks into that group forces our FA moves to be right and history tells us that likely isn't the case.

I would love to know who was really making decisions related to starting QB in 2022 - because I suspect it wasn't our OC. I am extremely skeptical that Carson Wentz was Scott Turner's choice (either acquiring him or starting him). Feels like that was 100% Snyder/Rivera driven. It seems pretty well documented that even after watching Wentz/Heinicke/Wentz struggle most of the season, Rivera still had to be convinced to start Howell - in a meaningless game (you know, after someone explained to Ron that it was a meaningless game).

So in terms of giving Howell a legitimate shot, one would hope that Eric Bienemy isn't the kind of OC to let his HC tell him who he needs to start at QB in 2023. I think Howell will get a fair chance to be the starter for the 2023 season. How that will go I have no idea.

And Reid sat him for almost a year.... as Rivera did with Howell ;) .

I understand the QB angst but as I have often said, Redskins Fans claim they have the patience for player development but in reality, if that draft pick doesn't perform at an All-Pro level the moment they hit the field....they label him a bust and want him gone.
There's a lot of adjustment going from college to pro. Those that seemingly hit the ground running are the exception, not the rule, IMO.

Hoping Howell gets a true shot...because there will be bumps along the way.
I feel cautiously positive about QB because when Howell played he didn't look lost out there. He didn't look like the game was too big for him. Like everyone else, I don't know how he fares out, but he hasn't had the deer in the headlights hesitation or clueless sense of panic that we've seen with some young QBs. With Howell, we saw him perform in one game. He made a few big throws, showed off his arm, and some mobility. He also demonstrated the ability to be decisive which was imperative with the swiss cheese line we fielded. Now, the game also didn't appear to be to big for Heinicke at first. He came out swinging and had some amazing early success before his limitations (or Washington's limitations) caught up with him. So who knows what we have with Howell, but I think he has a chance and like for a bunch of the really good QBs in this league that's what it takes. After all, most of the best QBs were not picked number one overall. In fact, I believe there are more first overall bust QBs than HOFers.

I will feel a lot better when our 'coach-centric' (with owner meddling from time to time) system is replaced with a more traditional front office setup where the coach is a hire of the football professionals and not merely carrying the coach's water in terms of personnel.

I thought we could have done a LOT more in this draft to improve the roster by being a bit more aggressive.

After Round 1, this team could have moved up in Round 2 to take Schmitz or Tippman for the interior OL, both of whom were superior to Stromberg.

Now the Giants plug in Schmitz while Washington has New York's discard, Gates, to compete for the starting center job in DC :(

One thing I am getting sick of with this administration? The endless searches for a 'buffalo' linebacker/safety and deep free safety.

Past drafts we take safeties and sign free agents to boot and yet the positions go unfilled or filled by less than optimal talents.

There is talk Martin could fit in as a deep safety. Once again, we would be in the business of projecting a pretty high pick to another position in the NFL, and one that is a harder transition than fans think.

You see some top tier talents like a Minkah Fitzpatrick make a switch from CB to S and become a pro bowler but that is rare.

And if Martin is penciled in as a corner and is in line behind Forbes and the two starters from last year, are we talking about adding depth, a dime corner for 2023?

Or are we planning on releasing Kendall Fuller at 29/30 and saving some $$ and actually getting Martin on the field as a regular?

My point is a number of teams from the Raiders with Meyer to others used Round 2 to move up and snag guys that had a late first round grade and look to be immediate starters.

Washington sat on its hands and didn't make any real move until Round 5 when for some reason KJ Henry became a cause celebre for Rivera and Mayhew and they actually parted with a draft pick to move up - albeit a #7 pick not that far away from Mr. Irrelevant :p

The post-draft outlook on Washington from fans of other teams I talked to is that it's a team that is afraid of making a mistake and shows very little if any creativity in crafting a roster.

I don't know how much stock we should put into all of the 'experts' draft boards, but based on where the players we ended up selecting were listed on the majority of boards, almost every pick Washington made was an 'overdraft'.

I agree that this was a very conservative effort and I would even have preferred they move up to the top of Rd 2 to grab a difference making TE than to stand pat (although my preference was for them to move up and grab Schmitz). And to repeat myself, the downside of dipping into the same well on the first 2 picks is that is really puts a lot of pressure on you to fill an OL need there - but it was a 'what's left?' situation vs. aggressively going after a top tier guy. Maybe Stromberg will surprise us all and have a higher ceiling than he appears to at first glance, but I just didn't like our strategy overall.

Hell, we didn't even have to move up to take Schmitz - he was sitting there when we drafted at #47. So was Torrence, for that matter.

I think Martin was drafted to play slot CB more than S, but I could be wrong in that. I believe I read that he was the highest-rated slot CB in this draft.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.