• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WP - Robert Griffin III’s suffers no setbacks after first week of cutting drills

SNF

The Starter
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-setbacks-after-first-week-of-cutting-drills/

By Mike Jones

Robert Griffin III’s surgically repaired right knee responded favorably after the quarterback began the latest increase in activity of his rehabilitation program.

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Griffin this week began making cuts for the first time since his Jan. 9 surgery to repair the ligaments that he tore in his right knee in Washington’s playoff loss to Seattle. Each week has brought with it additional strides of improvement for the quarterback.

This week featured drills in which Griffin sprinted to the left and right, and then cut to the opposite direction. He also did other change of direction drills. Griffin went through those types of workouts for three consecutive days. There were no indications of setbacks of any kind, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak for the team.

More at link above ...

Yikes...just hearing about him cutting so soon scares me. I know his doctors & trainers know what they are doing, but yikes! That's a very important knee...

Hey.....Paris Jackson survived it. I have faith that he will too.

A VIK that's getting stronger every day.

and a knee that will unfortunately appear like this, as soon as he gets on the field against another team

images

and a knee that will unfortunately appear like this, as soon as he gets on the field against another team

images

This is the sad reality of the situation...I'm sure Gregggggg Williams is not the only one who tells his defenders to target injuries.

My guess is that with Robert's work ethic, we are going to continue to hear positives regarding the progress of his knee over the course of the summer. As some have eluded to, the real test is going to come during the season when live bullets are flying and he's getting tackled. Sadly, there is no way of telling how prepared he is to play until he actually gets hit. For now, I'm going to try my best to not get too excited about what we are hearing regarding his health and knee condition. I know one thing is for certain, seeing him take the field in 2013 for the first time will be a huge mixed bag of emotions for Redskins fans - elation and nausea at the same time.

I dunno... it's getting to the point where if my stomach has to be churning and all I can think about is his knee each time my QB takes a snap, then what's the point?

This is getting ridiculous.

I dunno... it's getting to the point where if my stomach has to be churning and all I can think about is his knee each time my QB takes a snap, then what's the point?

This is getting ridiculous.

I think its rediculous to start him game 1. The hype should be nipped in the bud. I would wait to see for post bye Dallas. There are no problems to winning with Cousins and Morris.

I think its rediculous to start him game 1. The hype should be nipped in the bud. I would wait to see for post bye Dallas. There are no problems to winning with Cousins and Morris.

All I'm saying is, as a coach, you can't be over-enamored over a player. Lombardi would say as much. If there's no reason to rush him don't rush him. Shanahan ain't no Lombardi.

If he's ready to play, you play him.

Injuries can can happen anytime, to anyone. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Living in fear of what "might" happen, isn't living at all.

I think its rediculous to start him game 1.... I would wait to see for post bye Dallas.

But based on what other than fan overreaction and lack of medical information? You're pulling arbitrary start dates out of... what?

What will be different medically between the first game of the season and the first game after the bye?

OK micks then explain to us exactly how it's rushing him. Medically he's clear at 6 months, this procedure is routine now and not even close to a career ender. So tell us all why a game 1 start would constitute "rushing him". I've read that a lot but it seems to be based on assumption and lack of knowledge in terms of how modern medicine deal with this now. If his surgeon says go for it and his rehab center says go for it then what makes you right and them wrong?

I guess my perspective is, how many star QBs have had their career ended early because of a knee injury, single or repetitive? It could turn out that Griff is never again the beyond-explosive guy we saw in his rookie year. But he'll still have legs, a fantastic arm, supreme football smarts, and a feel for the game that no knee injury can ever touch. I think the idea that RG3's career is 'at risk', regardless of how quickly or conservatively the Redskins put him back out there, is a red herring. I'll also say it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him start week 1 and pick up right where he left off with no hint of disability or reduced effectiveness.

Last edited:
Ya know Boone that's in interesting point. Jim (IIRC) Miller on NFL network had a stat sheet on all the major injuries starting QB's have had over the years and how many actually ended or killed their careers and it was amazing how few there were. I think this is a major misconception.

As a Redskins fan I have an opinion about what I think may at least part of the "nervousness" about Griffin. We've suffered trough how many years of disappointment? Hopes being dashed? Apparent team turnarounds suddenly evaporate in front of our eyes?

We're gun-shy. We've become so accustomed to the sky of hope falling around our ears that it's become almost a defense mechanism for a Redskins fan to steel themselves against yet another let-down, another good feeling about the team dashed by some kind of disastrous outcome. Hope itself becomes untrustworthy after a long periods of chronic disappointment so we focus on a worst-case scenario and use avoidance of yet another stabbing pain as the framework of how we think the team should proceed. We become almost pathologically risk-averse which can make it easy to give too much weight to negative possibilities and overly skeptical of positive possible outcomes.

Now we're in a situation where hope has pretty much exploded in our faces after an unexpectedly remarkable season and our "Oh no not again" fear synapses are twitching with fear-based anticipation. I have to fight this within myself and tell myself to stop being so pessimistic. Are there risks involved based on Robert G. starting the first game? The fourth? The eighth? Of course, but I try to remind myself that I'm human and subject to letting fear run away with my judgement if I'm not careful.

Just one fan's opinion. :)

I still find this interesting, as well as generally ignored. Five years ago. No blame game. No worries about him coming back from the injury. No comments about him coming back too soon. No freakin soap opera crap associated with it. Just appreciation for the team's unquestioned young leader at QB and looking forward to a bright future.

A gutsy hero who played a playoff game after completely tearing his ACL the week before, having lied about the extent of the injury all week. Sports writers treating it as an "it's the NFL, that's what you do" story.

SignOnSanDiego.com > Sports -- Rivers played on knee with ACL 'totally gone'

Philip Rivers' anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee is “totally gone” and he will have reconstructive surgery soon.

Rivers played the entirety of the Chargers' 21-12 loss to the New England Patriots with a right knee with no ACL. He revealed Monday he had arthroscopic surgery last Monday to clean out loose cartilage and enable him to play.

“If I don't do that Monday, I had no chance of playing,” Rivers said. The San Diego Union-Tribune first reported Friday that Rivers had injured his ACL, but the extent of the injury was not known until today.

“The ACL is gone,” Rivers said.

Until Sunday night, Rivers and the team said his injury was just a sprained MCL.

SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Chargers -- Rivers' knee injury worse than he let on

Meanwhile, Rivers came out a hero with the mystery ACL after completing 19 of 37 passes for 211 yards.

Rivers could hardly walk on Saturday evening, and head coach Norv Turner said he thought as late as Sunday morning that Rivers would be unable to start based on “the way he was moving.” Teammates praised him after the game, with a few saying they would not have played with the same injury.

Turner said yesterday that he had all but advised Rivers last Tuesday not to play against the Patriots.

“My advice to Philip was, 'This is a heck of a football team. We're going to be in this position many times in the future. Don't put yourself in that position. Just do what you need to do,' ” Turner said. “He wanted to play. I've never been around that mental toughness. I've never been around an attitude like that. Then to go out and play the way he did – it's one for me that's for the books.”

Rivers' procedure will require a new ligament – either from his hamstring or from a cadaver – to be inserted in his knee.

“ACL (surgery) is considered a little more routine,” said Dr. James Gladstone, chief of orthopedic medicine at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York.

The Chargers peg Rivers' rehabilitation at four to six months. Gladstone said Rivers could be running by May and perhaps sooner. In June, he could cut and pivot and by August be ready to play football.

“The fastest returns are four months,” Gladstone said. “It's not uncommon for it to be six to eight months.”

Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway played his entire career without an ACL in his left knee. It limited his range of motion and caused him great and almost constant pain.

Rivers is expected to return to 100 percent.

About three months after ACL surgery, Rivers returns - NFL - ESPN

Philip Rivers was chatting in a hallway after a minicamp practice Friday as the Chargers' offensive linemen came bulldozing through.

Each of them gave their quarterback a wink or a smile or a nod. Everyone had something for Rivers. There was recognition. There was adoration. There was the acknowledgment of a leader.

"I don't know what 'it' is, but PR has it," San Diego center Cory Withrow said. "He loves his teammates and we all give it back to him. The guy is going into his third year playing and he acts like he's a 15-year vet. He didn't need to be out here for a May camp with that injury, but he loves it. The guy is all football all the time. He just gets it."

Make no mistake, the San Diego Chargers are Rivers' team. Yes, this is a roster glowing with Pro Bowl players, even a future Hall of Famer or two. LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, Shawne Merriman and Jamal Williams make the Chargers special.

While he is still growing into the position, the No. 4 overall draft pick in 2004 is the leader of this team. That was abundantly clear Friday morning, when Rivers was leading the team in its first minicamp practice. The guy just won't stay off the football field.

"This is so fun, I couldn't wait for this to come," said Rivers, who is entering his third season as a starter. "The season is coming."

Never bet on Rivers missing a play. While working in a practice under a perfect San Diego sky on the second day of May wouldn't be considered heroic by most, what Rivers accomplished Friday was stunning. It was exactly 100 days since his January surgery to repair the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Rivers celebrated the landmark day by practicing.

That shouldn't be. Rivers shouldn't be running with his teammates these days, either, but Withrow marvels that he's there daily, grinding it out with the rest of the Chargers.

People aren't supposed to play on a torn ACL, either. Rivers did. On Jan. 13 in Indianapolis, he injured his right knee in the Chargers' upset win over the Colts in the AFC divisional playoffs. On Jan. 14, he had arthroscopic surgery to clean out the damaged cartilage. He was told all week leading up to the Jan. 20 AFC title game at New England that there was no way he could play. Somehow, Rivers did.

He had surgery Jan. 23 to repair the torn ACL. Less than four months later, he's back on the field -- and wearing a heavy brace on his right knee.

Rivers threw crisp passes Friday. He appeared sharp and on schedule to play in the preseason and start the regular season as the Chargers' leader.

"He's the guy," Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson said. "He's an animal. It's been three months and he's at a minicamp? We've known all along how tough he is and what he means to this team."

Rivers, whose regular-season record as a starter is 25-7, laughs at how he is now looked at nationally after his performance in the Chargers' 21-12 loss to the Patriots. Prior to that game, Rivers was known as an average quarterback who has a tendency to get lippy on the field, directing his zeal toward opponents and opposing fans.

Now, he's a folk hero.

"Perception is a strange thing," Rivers said. "I didn't play for people to talk about me like some hero. I played because my teammates needed me. I wasn't the only one. We had guys banged up. But it was for the Super Bowl. We had to play."

My concern about Griffin is not so much the knee, it's that his style of play seems so conducive to injury. Not the read-option, but the reckless abandon with which he plays. If his knee never fully recovers, I figure he'll be able to adjust eventually. But knees aren't the only things to worry about. While plenty of QBs play on bad knees, most don't play past multiple concussions. Griffin's already had one of those too.

When he gets back on the field I will be watching the knee like everyone else, but I'll also be watching to see if he protects himself better. Because if he doesn't, his knees won't be his only problem.

My concern about Griffin is not so much the knee, it's that his style of play seems so conducive to injury. Not the read-option, but the reckless abandon with which he plays. If his knee never fully recovers, I figure he'll be able to adjust eventually. But knees aren't the only things to worry about. While plenty of QBs play on bad knees, most don't play past multiple concussions. Griffin's already had one of those too.

When he gets back on the field I will be watching the knee like everyone else, but I'll also be watching to see if he protects himself better. Because if he doesn't, his knees won't be his only problem.

This is how I have been feeling regarding all of this. The running like he's carrying a loaf of bread through traffic with everyone in the crowd yelling "get down!" "get down!" is the worst. Accepting that he gained positive yards in a negative way sometimes was hard to swallow last year and will be harder to deal with this year. For such a smart young man, his refusal to protect himself at times was very stupid. There's no way of knowing if this type of lesson was learned or not until the bullets start flying.

I fear that defenders are just licking their chops for a chance like Ngata had, to catch him from behind in traffic and get their name on the highlight reel. I think many of them will be patient and wait for him to do something stupid because everybody knows he's eventually going to do it.

On the other hand, he's an exceptional human being who has already proven so many people wrong, I hope he makes these worries a silly notion going forward!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.