• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WP - Robert Griffin III’s suffers no setbacks after first week of cutting drills

I thought you could see him making a concerted effort to avoid contact & get out of bounds towards the end of last year. What he really needs to work on is sliding - those extra 5 yards are not worth the hit.

I thought you could see him making a concerted effort to avoid contact & get out of bounds towards the end of last year. What he really needs to work on is sliding - those extra 5 yards are not worth the hit.

I'm hoping that walking off the field against Seattle he realized that those 5 yards in random regular season game x in quarter y are not worth it.

He's certainly smart enough, but competitiveness is a strange beast in that regard...

I thought you could see him making a concerted effort to avoid contact & get out of bounds towards the end of last year.

Towards the end of the year he didn't have the legs to do otherwise. I saw him dive to the ground a few times simply because he knew he wasn't outrunning anyone on that knee of his. I am worried that once he gets back to 100% (or close to it) he'll start playing like he can out-maneuver everyone again.

What he really needs to work on is sliding - those extra 5 yards are not worth the hit.

Yes.

I think he's like Bryce Harper in that regard, that youthful, athletic arrogance will have to be brought under control and focused more finely in order for them to reach their full potential at the highest level of their sport.

But in both cases, I think they are smart enough to do so.

I think he's like Bryce Harper in that regard, that youthful, athletic arrogance will have to be brought under control and focused more finely in order for them to reach their full potential at the highest level of their sport.

But in both cases, I think they are smart enough to do so.

Like the saying goes "You can't push a rope."

I'd rather have guys like Griffin and Harper you have to reign in a little than a guy with all the gifts in the world who "can't get right."

Nick

Towards the end of the year he didn't have the legs to do otherwise. I saw him dive to the ground a few times simply because he knew he wasn't outrunning anyone on that knee of his. I am worried that once he gets back to 100% (or close to it) he'll start playing like he can out-maneuver everyone again.

I was referring to after the Atlanta game, when he still had a knee to work with. There were exceptions of course, and there always will be - his instincts are his instincts - hopefully they pay off more (Minny game) than they don't (Baltimore game). But then there's situations like the Giants game in which he was dragged down from behind where there was nothing he could do - thankfully he didn't get injured there (as far as we know).

EDIT: but yes, a lot of what I'm remembering was probably the stepping out of bounds after the knee injury when he had no speed.

When he came back from knee surgery in college it took a few weeks to get his rhythm back, but once he did he was amazingly better than he ever was before. I think the NFL is different. Hopefully, he will learn to slide sooner and do more to protect his knee. I do anticipate him throwing as well as he has in the past and he will also run as well as before the surgery.

This talk about sitting out unneccesarily is silly. If he can cut without pain or looseness then he needs to get back on the saddle again and play. Crazy not to.

OK micks then explain to us exactly how it's rushing him. Medically he's clear at 6 months, this procedure is routine now and not even close to a career ender. So tell us all why a game 1 start would constitute "rushing him". I've read that a lot but it seems to be based on assumption and lack of knowledge in terms of how modern medicine deal with this now. If his surgeon says go for it and his rehab center says go for it then what makes you right and them wrong?

Early on when he was operated on the doctors said normal recoup time put him back in the saddle in August. That means he starts to work out in a football setting on the field. Not start a game. Going into training camp full speed next week is too soon in my opinion based on that time schedule that's always been out there. And therefore, starting on the field practice in earnest in August is too late for starting game 1 regular season imho. Granted, he has continued to improve and appears ready and had no problems with cutting. But this was not against competiton and up to game speed....a world of difference there. I'm not saying he is not capable of doing it, just that I think we should stick to the "standard timetable" in the medical profession and not rush that timetable. (Personally, I don't think Doctors know when a player is ready to play. When they clear him, that is a medicall clearance to resume a normal life, not subjecting yourself to 300 pound linemen crushing you. Its up to the coach to determine when to play, not the doctor.)

Here's another huge worry I have. Game 3 with the Lions. Suh is going to try to kill him. Suh is the consumate cheap shot artist. And even if somehow Griffen has wised up and learned how to slide, well, sliding feet first into Suh is an open invitation for Suh to crush him and accept his "penalty". Look, in football, there is no mr. nice guy, the idea is to punish the opponent, and you all know well and good, that the word out on Griffen is to now crush him with or without the ball when the pistol is run.

Early on when he was operated on the doctors said normal recoup time put him back in the saddle in August. That means he starts to work out in a football setting on the field. Not start a game. Going into training camp full speed next week is too soon in my opinion based on that time schedule that's always been out there. And therefore, starting on the field practice in earnest in August is too late for starting game 1 regular season imho. Granted, he has continued to improve and appears ready and had no problems with cutting. But this was not against competiton and up to game speed....a world of difference there. I'm not saying he is not capable of doing it, just that I think we should stick to the "standard timetable" in the medical profession and not rush that timetable. (Personally, I don't think Doctors know when a player is ready to play. When they clear him, that is a medicall clearance to resume a normal life, not subjecting yourself to 300 pound linemen crushing you. Its up to the coach to determine when to play, not the doctor.)

Here's another huge worry I have. Game 3 with the Lions. Suh is going to try to kill him. Suh is the consumate cheap shot artist. And even if somehow Griffen has wised up and learned how to slide, well, sliding feet first into Suh is an open invitation for Suh to crush him and accept his "penalty". Look, in football, there is no mr. nice guy, the idea is to punish the opponent, and you all know well and good, that the word out on Griffen is to now crush him with or without the ball when the pistol is run.

I'm actually curious on this: do doctors that are advising a football team, when they medically clear a player to play, only mean that they are medically clearing the player for regular life? One would think that since the context of their jobs is to work on football players, and since they are knowingly clearing them to play football, they would not be at the standard of "Player x is cleared to be walking around and driving to work" but instead "Player x is ready for contact", etc. Do you have anything to substantiate that they give their charges a lower level of clearance?

Also, his name is Griffin :p

I'm actually curious on this: do doctors that are advising a football team, when they medically clear a player to play, only mean that they are medically clearing the player for regular life? One would think that since the context of their jobs is to work on football players, and since they are knowingly clearing them to play football, they would not be at the standard of "Player x is cleared to be walking around and driving to work" but instead "Player x is ready for contact", etc. Do you have anything to substantiate that they give their charges a lower level of clearance?

Also, his name is Griffin :p

The answer is yes. The answer is obvious. When the Doctor says you are not cleared, the reason is the same. Doctors will tell the team the risks of playing him. But they will not take the risk themselves. Therefore, they will not give prognosis to any player any different than they would for anyone in their regular practice. If not, that would open up liability. To validate my claim, just ask your doctor next time you seem him when chatting.

Thanks for the spelling tip, but your missed my other typo.

What we need to wish for is for Robert Griffin to learn some patience. And also now that he is married, to not damage his knees on his honeymoon. ;-)

The answer is yes. The answer is obvious. When the Doctor says you are not cleared, the reason is the same. Doctors will tell the team the risks of playing him. But they will not take the risk themselves. Therefore, they will not give prognosis to any player any different than they would for anyone in their regular practice. If not, that would open up liability. To validate my claim, just ask your doctor next time you seem him when chatting.

Thanks for the spelling tip, but your missed my other typo.

What we need to wish for is for Robert Griffin to learn some patience. And also now that he is married, to not damage his knees on his honeymoon. ;-)

I wasn't looking for typos, really. But from what you said there you don't really have anything to substantiate your claim. My doctor doesn't work for pro athletes. Asking them would be pointless, it isn't in their practice. Asking a doctor who isn't in the same scope of practice is a pointless exercise; they will naturally have different standards. I was asking if you had actual knowledge to back up your claim. So, do you, or are you just applying personal logic to the situation?

But based on what other than fan overreaction and lack of medical information? You're pulling arbitrary start dates out of... what?

What will be different medically between the first game of the season and the first game after the bye?

You are correct. I overreact and I don't know squat about medicine. But the date was not arbitrary. I chose the game after the bye (just so happens to be Dallas). That would give Griffin 6 more weeks of non-contact. Unless Cousins comes unglued, I would opt for that as coach. I hope Shanahan will show some Gibbs wisdom this year. His decisions on his players are under the microscope.

You are correct. I overreact and I don't know squat about medicine. But the date was not arbitrary. I chose the game after the bye (just so happens to be Dallas). That would give Griffin 6 more weeks of non-contact. Unless Cousins comes unglued, I would opt for that as coach. I hope Shanahan will show some Gibbs wisdom this year. His decisions on his players are under the microscope.

Yeah, I understand your caution, but this is the NFL, it's only a 16 game season, there are huge stakes riding on this, and I can't see any way he doesn't start game 1 absent a setback of some kind between now and then.

And I honestly don't think that Gibbs would have sat him for 4 games as a precaution.

Yeah, I understand your caution, but this is the NFL, it's only a 16 game season, there are huge stakes riding on this, and I can't see any way he doesn't start game 1 absent a setback of some kind between now and then.

And I honestly don't think that Gibbs would have sat him for 4 games as a precaution.

I understand. What I was meaning to say about Gibbs was that Shanahan made decisions on playing Griffin last year that I don't think Gibbs would have made. Just my .02.

And for the record, I am more concern about having Griffin for at least a 10 year career, so I am freaked out about this year way more than last. Everyone called him "superman" and he got killed ...... superman is not invincible. I think we are in a weak division albeit the NFC East is always a battle. We should take it even with Cousins. The key to the playoffs is the division.

The team will make a determination when all of the guys report in for camp and physicals are completed.

The local pundits speculate that the "safest" thing to do is to put him on PUP.

This way they can handle the situation as they see fit, bringing him in when all is ready.

Griff has already mentioned his own biggest fear... overreaction, he does not want to be bubble wrapped.

The local media is already chomping at the bit to see how this plays out, Griff is pushing to get going, the team is "listening" to the doctors and the fans are "overreacting" every which way.

All we can hope for is solid decisions by the doctors, the team and Griff himself.

Protect as best can be but by no means break the spirit.

The team will make a determination when all of the guys report in for camp and physicals are completed.

The local pundits speculate that the "safest" thing to do is to put him on PUP.

This way they can handle the situation as they see fit, bringing him in when all is ready.

Griff has already mentioned his own biggest fear... overreaction, he does not want to be bubble wrapped.

The local media is already chomping at the bit to see how this plays out, Griff is pushing to get going, the team is "listening" to the doctors and the fans are "overreacting" every which way.

All we can hope for is solid decisions by the doctors, the team and Griff himself.

Protect as best can be but by no means break the spirit.

Voice of reason. I liked the last line best. And leads me to my gameplan for the season.....max protect, two tight ends, run out of the passing formation. Its all about 46 coming of age.

I wasn't looking for typos, really. But from what you said there you don't really have anything to substantiate your claim. My doctor doesn't work for pro athletes. Asking them would be pointless, it isn't in their practice. Asking a doctor who isn't in the same scope of practice is a pointless exercise; they will naturally have different standards. I was asking if you had actual knowledge to back up your claim. So, do you, or are you just applying personal logic to the situation?

Yes personal logic. But you do know that Doctors abide by their profession's code that has nothing to do with the NFL , right? The coach won't play a player until the Doctor clears him. The Doctor doesn't play the player. But I don't want to get into any issue of the Doctor is on the payroll. I don't have an agenda.

OK. Sorry but I'll need to see a quote to buy that. It makes no sense whatsoever when the standard recovery time for a reconstructed ACL in the "NORMAL" world is 4 -6 months. I blew my ACL out within 1 week of Adrian Peterson and I was on the field playing soccer with full medical clearance for full contact, full cutting and sprinting and no limitations on THE SAME TIMETABLE. I was back on the field in June and full speed clearance by July. I was given clearance to play basketball full speed. I'm 42 and I'm no pro athlete. So nope I'm not buying that they told RG3 he had a timetable of 9 months unless I see actual quotes from doctors. I'm really not trying to be a jerk here but the fact is anyone who says he's being rushed back and using "current medical standards" as the basis just doesn't know what they're talking about. You've got bad information micks.

Voice of reason. I liked the last line best. And leads me to my gameplan for the season.....max protect, two tight ends, run out of the passing formation. Its all about 46 coming of age.

Interpret that last line anyway you want but my intention was to express the effect of beneficial decision making in getting Griff on the field and taking advantage of all his skills, not going max protect season long and taking him out of his game. RG has to do what he does best with a better mindset, otherwise that spirit of which I speak will be broken.

Interpret that last line anyway you want but my intention was to express the effect of beneficial decision making in getting Griff on the field and taking advantage of all his skills, not going max protect season long and taking him out of his game. RG has to do what he does best with a better mindset, otherwise that spirit of which I speak will be broken.

I agree in this vein, especially since the quickest way to get an athlete re-injured is to have them playing afraid of getting injured. That's the hardest thing for athletes that get injured, is to make sure to be as natural as possible after they heal; if they aren't, they will most likely injure themselves again with bad body mechanics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.