• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Will Zorn pull a Gibb's Chicago-style bait and switch?

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
All signs in the Redskins first 2 outings of 2009 point to one inarguable fact - Jim Zorn doesn't trust Jason Campbell to get it done, at least not when it counts the most, on crucial downs or deep in enemy territory.

It's deja-vu all over again, reminding me of the feeling emanating from Joe Gibbs when he started with lukewarm enthusiasm a supposedly revitalized Patrick Ramsey in the 2005 opener, the year Ramsey was supposed to prove he 'was the guy' and take his game to 'the next level'. It wasn't to be. Gibbs didn't trust Ramsey anymore than Zorn is willing to give Campbell the keys to the car without a chaperone.

So I'm wondering - will Zorn pull the bait and switch as Gibbs did that year? If you recall, before the first half of game 1 against Chicago was even over, Ramsey got his bell rung good and BAM. The Brunell era began without so much as a 'thank you maam'. There was no real reason for it, no justification, and it didn't matter. Nothing even had to be said - everyone knew what they'd just seen, everyone except for Patrick Ramsey, who, head still spinning, actually believed Gibbs meant all the the right things he was saying prior to that.

So what are we to think now? The skins spent half the offseason trying to unload Campbell and upgrade at his position. Zorn may have played his defender and steadfast supporter through the turmoil of the Spring and Summer shenanigans- like Gibbs, he inherited the guy and has little choice not to 'support him'. But it's support as shaky and thin as a Redskin's sellout. Support that'll hold up at least until an opportune moment to shelve him presents itself.

I wonder if it's coming? And maybe quicker than we think?

Campbell's got a sprained ankle. We'll see if Zorn thinks he's fit enough to suit up against the Lions? If Zorn decides to hold him out, keep your eyes open, because you may be watching a 2005 switcheroo redux.

And I'll say it now - if Collins comes in, for any reason in 2009 - Campbell will have one hell of a time getting back on the field again.

Last edited:
He's got nothing to lose. Either way, he won't be here next year.

Boone,
Only one problem with that theory.

Collins isn't a Zorn guy either.

Remember Gibbs went down to Fl and met with Brunell (Brunell even took him to the hospital after an issue with Coach's insulin) and hand picked Mark (and gave up a decent draft pick in the process) to be a QB here.

Zorn inherited both Collins and Campbell.

If Brennan was not on IR, I would say that maybe that could be a possibility but really there's no guy either on this team or on the waivers that would really be a "Zorn guy"

So I don't see it happening.

I think Coach Zorn has to realize that no matter what his future is with the Skins, he's auditioning for other teams in the future as a potential OC and or HC (although I doubt he'll be a HC again) and if he just plays cautious or safe, he's hurting himself.

If he lets Campbell take a shot and Campbell fails at least he can say that the play was there and the player couldn't execute.

I'm not saying it will, I'm simply pointing out that Zorn clearly has no faith in Campbell. I don't think it can reasonably be debated at this point. Zorn's job depends on success - now. If we don't win this season, he's almost certainly a goner. Collins may not 'be his boy', but I'm starting to wonder if Zorn wouldn't be more comfortable with him at the helm.

You might rightfully ask, if Zorn felt that way - why wouldn't he have had an open competition during Training Camp and declared Collins the winner? For the same reason Gibbs didn't do likewise with Brunell. Because the big cheese makes his favorite and his expectations known. Hence the need for the bait and switch.

The irony is, I think Zorn could conceivably take advantage of a mild injury, and make the change sometime in the next 3-4 games and actually view it as a 'bold move' to save the season (and perhaps buy him another year). Like I said, just a thought, maybe a crazy one. But I'd have never predicted Ramsey would get the yank when he did either.

Last edited:
I don't rule out anything we normally wouldn't expect happening at this point.

It would have been nice to have picked up Garcia when he hit the market, but even with Vick now being able to play, I doubt Philly will cut Jeff. McNugget is too fragile at this stage in the game.

I can't seem them keeping 4 QBs for long, Miles, and I think it is a safe bet that the first three aren't going anywhere. Of course, I doubt the Skins pick up Garcia if he is cut so the point is likely moot.

I can't seem them keeping 4 QBs for long, Miles, and I think it is a safe bet that the first three aren't going anywhere. Of course, I doubt the Skins pick up Garcia if he is cut so the point is likely moot.

Who's the 4th QB for Philly. I thought they cut Feeley.

This is actually a pretty funny theory Boone.... :insane:

I'd like to think that with the players, the media and the fans all calling for Zorn's head, he's actually starting to have some accountability. I think his lack of confidence is in himself not Campbell! :new_idea: He's trying his fancy schmantzy play calling in key moments trying to make up for his "play-it-safe playcalling at most others. He's confused, and up till now has blamed it on everyone but himself. His own problems are finally becoming the popular notion as to why we suck. I concur.

He opened it up a little against the Rams and Campbell played better so this trend should continue. The only stumbling block will be our Oline... With no right side of the line and the fact that teams know we run left, we're going to have to pass. And we're gonna have heat on the QB. So its sink or swim for Campbell.

IMHO Campbell is going to have a decent year because our run game is gonna suck and Zorn will not stay committed to it once he starts fearing for his job. Then Campbell's gonna sign a lucrative contract with another NFC team that will scheme to his strengths and he will torment us for years to come. All the time and patience we had with him is gonna turn into a Drew Brees like renaissance for him and we'll look like the sham we have been mgmt wise.

Again, I think it's unlikely too DM - it's a passing thought I had because of three things - the limits placed on JC by Zorn, his obvious lack of trust in him in key situations, and the seeming incogruence between what Jim Zorn says he thinks about Campbell and how he really feels about him. I'm getting the same vibe from him I got from Gibbs with Ramsey (although WD makes a good point about the mancrush Gibbs had for Brunell vs. the alternatives Zorn has).

If you want my 'theory' on what's going to happen, I spell it out in my 'Blognostications' blog. I still believe Campbell goes all the way save all but a game or two and we are a playoff team.

The irony is, I think Zorn could conceivably take advantage of a mild injury, and make the change sometime in the next 3-4 games and actually view it as a 'bold move' to save the season (and perhaps buy him another year). Like I said, just a thought, maybe a crazy one. But I'd have never predicted Ramsey would get the yank when he did either.
If this happens, and then he magically decides to open up the play book with Collins at the helm, that would be just incredibly unfair to Jason.

That said, I don't care it's Carrot Top under center. Whatever scores points!

If we lose to the sorry Lions, I don't think it will take any kind of injury to Campbell to replace him. The ONLY thing that could save Jason in a loss is if he has a stellar day but our Defense heads South and we lose 34-31.

I contend Jason has to beat Detroit to save his job, although Boone could be spot on if we scrape out another low-scoring victory.

I actually think it would be more likely that Zorn would use an injury as an excuse to replace him, exactly like Gibbs did. There was no reason to go to Brunell in game 2 of 2005, other than that's who Gibbs wanted in there. In a normal, fair world, Ramsey would've been right back in there.

I think the injury switcheroo is more likely because Campbell hasn't given Zorn a glaringly bad performance (say a 3 INT game we played close in) to just outright pull him. A mild injury would be how I'd foresee it happening.

One thing for sure, somethings got to give and pretty soon. You can't continue with a QB you don't and won't trust, hamstringing him in the red zone and at key junctures, not during a season where your job is on the line. Zorn either swallows hard and gives Campbell the chance to succeed or fail, or something is going to have to give elsewhere.

Well, Campbell sprained his ankle this week so if we were gonna see something like that, Zorn has his opportunity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.