• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who's Your Starting QB?

Who is your preferred 2021 QB starter?

• Taylor Heinicke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kyle Allen

• Ryan Fitzpatrick

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Newly drafted QB of your imagination

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Now that the QB roster has become clearer, who is your preferred starter in 2021?

While I definitely want to see continued development from Taylor and Kyle in training camp and the preseason, I think Fitzpatrick should be the guy we go with to start the season. He has a quiet sense of calm about him that came through clearly in his press conference. He has pretty much been exposed to everything in his career thus far and I get the sense that in a season where expectations are going to be a bit higher in Washington, none of that will really faze him or have an effect on his game. I think that father-like presence he can provide will be hugely important for an overall young group of offensive players who in many cases are still in the process of crafting their game.

Reactions: Om
The only downside to Fitzmagic being the starter - one of last season's hopeful starters, Allen or Heinicke, may not dress (or conceivably even be on the active roster) each week. I think the acquisition of Fitz is basically an indication that the team is far from certain either of these guys has legit starter potential. If Heinicke or Allen want an NFL future, camp this summer and pre-season are really going to be critical. One of them is likely effectively eliminated from the mix once the regular season starts.

And that's not even taking into account that Washington may well draft a QB.

Fitzpatrick will start and Taylor IMO will get the first chance to get on the field if Ryan has a down couple of games or is injured.

To me Kyle Allen is NOT a realistic option as a starter in the NFL. He is a trusted backup who knows the system and can go on the field and not throw up on himself like Colt McCoy did.

But he has his limitations. Ball security and the lack of a deep arm are things that tend to keep Allen back in extended time on the field.

Taylor Heinicke showed a greater ability to make plays on the run and when plays broke down to avoid a loss.

Allen has mobility as well but he seems to run for the sake of getting out of the pocket and running to avoid pressure, he doesn't tend to look for plays he can make with his arm when breaking the pocket.

I agree with most of that Bulldog - with the exception that I think Allen has plenty of arm for the deep ball. It's the turnovers and the ability to stay on the field due to injury that have kept him from catching on as a starter so far.

Interesting that Fitzpatrick wasn't even included in our previous poll, not did anyone write him in. That was a bolt from the dark :)

Interesting that Fitzpatrick wasn't even included in our previous poll, not did anyone write him in. That was a bolt from the dark :)

I know one person who pointed at Fitz about a month ago... TomSkinsFan

I didn't see it but clearly was incorrect lol. I don't think he's locked in as our week 1 starter either. I think he'll likely be taking a lot of reps with the first team but Rivera has already come out and said he messed up by essentially making Haskins the week 1 starter the day he was hired. Fitz has the experience so you have to imagine that he looks pretty good coming into camp, and A lot of that will also depend on Allen's injury. It's going to be an interesting storyline to follow as we get late into summer...

And as far as Allen's deep ball arm...

This is off his back foot with Scherff in his lap. 45 yards with no room to step up and the flick of a wrist.

I've said all along, Kyle Allen is a far more talented QB than he ever gets any credit for. I hate that he got hurt last season, because I think he could be very good in this offense with more experience. I wouldn't rule out him winning the starting job either.

At least this year the player performing better is going to play.

When you allow sub-average performers like Haskins get gifted a starting job it tends to erode morale over time.

That’s why the team played better overall when Allen or Smith was out there.

At least this year the player performing better is going to play.

When you allow sub-average performers like Haskins get gifted a starting job it tends to erode morale over time.

That’s why the team played better overall when Allen or Smith was out there.

Literally my only criticism of Ron Rivera to date? He never should've tried to move forward with Dwayne Haskins. There's no question in my mind, he knew he wasn't going to be his QB before he even took the reigns officially here. We were sitting there with the 2nd pick in the draft and could've had Justin Herbert for the next decade. Even if they determined to select Young there and had not drafted a QB later (in a weak class), we'd have a lot better sense of what we have in Kyle Allen by now, and would be further along in knowing what we need vs. where we are now. Hell, we could be entering our 2nd season with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center.

Instead, Rivera caved to the owner's belief that all Haskins needed was a coach that 'wanted him' and he'd blossom into that HOFer that Snyder knew he'd be when he forced his front office to select him.

Yeah, not sure how I feel about that, brother ... but it's just a feeling. I said when we hired Rivera that I didn't think he'd have taken the job here in the first place if he didn't think Haskins had a chance to be a legit NFL starter. He had so many other options.

To me it's entirely possible he came in with an open mind about Haskins. He'd seen the same films the rest of us have ... and the potential there. What he didn't get was a chance to sit down with the kid and look him in the eye. Or the chance to really work with him after he got here given the severely limited offseason and zero preseason. The way it all played out almost forced his hand to at least LOOK at Haskins in action.

Just a theory, but my feeling is Ron had to go through the same process with the kid the rest of us did. See the arm, see the potential ... then have to watch the reality.

I think Haskins fooled all of us. His workouts looked great. He was working out with stud receivers, dropping dimes, rolling out

but, it was all fake. done for the gram.

Yep, Haskins IMO is a $3 bill and of course he found the one sucker out there, Snyder, that bought his schtick hook, line and sinker.

The Steelers might have signed Haskins and he may have a strong arm in practice, but to me he has zero instincts on the field - none of the natural 'feel' for the position that a Russell Wilson or Patrick Mahomes has.

The question is whether you can force feed a guy enough that eventually he breaks through and 'sees what he has been missing', etc.

I think to some degree Bill Walsh was able to do that with Steve Young, who was a great athlete in college, but who floundered around for a couple of years in the NFL before going to San Francisco and sitting for much of the time until he was 28 years old.

Of course Young ended up a success, but his motivation and football intelligence were things Walsh & Co. were able to tap into.

No one really knows if Haskins has any of that.

Yeah, not sure how I feel about that, brother ... but it's just a feeling. I said when we hired Rivera that I didn't think he'd have taken the job here in the first place if he didn't think Haskins had a chance to be a legit NFL starter. He had so many other options.

To me it's entirely possible he came in with an open mind about Haskins. He'd seen the same films the rest of us have ... and the potential there. What he didn't get was a chance to sit down with the kid and look him in the eye. Or the chance to really work with him after he got here given the severely limited offseason and zero preseason. The way it all played out almost forced his hand to at least LOOK at Haskins in action.

Just a theory, but my feeling is Ron had to go through the same process with the kid the rest of us did. See the arm, see the potential ... then have to watch the reality.

Good and fair points Mark. Probably some revisionist perspective on my part too. You know that when we watched a ton of Haskins OSU film I was giddy with his potential. Even coming into this season, I still hoped all of the offseason stuff about how committed he was, his improved fitness, etc... that it was real and that we'd see the guy we'd hoped to see.

I shouldn't really criticize Rivera for perhaps having some of the same hopes we did as fans. Easy in retrospect to lob grenades.

Lamest poll ever! Not a single dissenter so far. Where is the Heinicke horde? The Allen alliance?

Guess it's gonna be ... whoa whoa whoa Fitzmagic! :)

I didn't even see this thread until you commented.

I don't think they brought in Fitz just to sit second string. this would probably be the first time it happens in his career.

I would love to see Taylor get the nod, but I dont see it happening.

This will probably sound crazy, but ... I think whoever plays the best in camp and preseason will start opening day.

It could happen here ...

It's going to be really hard not to start Heinicke IF (and it's a big 'if') he looks as good throughout camp and pre-season as he did in that final game and the Tampa playoff performance. Barring that, gott think Fitzmagic is the guy.

I think its goin to be a true open competition between Allen and Fitz .I think Ron really values Allen and will give him an opportunity to really compete for the starting job. If Heinicke has a good camp followed by a strong preseason as Boone may have suggested well ... then I guess that's a good problem to have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.