• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who do you hire for Defensive Cooridinator?

Cycleans

The Starter
Reaction score
I'm thinking Rex, but I don't know who might come available. Is there anyone on the Defensive staff worth keeping because outside of a few players there isn't a position of strength.

I'm thinking Rex, but I don't know who might come available. Is there anyone on the Defensive staff worth keeping because outside of a few players there isn't a position of strength.

If Rex is fired by the Jets he will have a lot of options next season as a DC, maybe even as a HC (though I'm not sure about that). Given other options why would he come to Washington? Having just got out of one clown show I cant see him being in a hurry to come to another here. Money alone will not be enough - he is going to get paid wherever he goes.

The other thing about Rex is it will take a strong HC secure in his own skin and position to hire rex as his DC - thats not what we have right now.

I think we need a total clean out of the defensive staff. But replacing them with better coaches might not be all that easy.

Wade Phillips. He's a great D coordinator, just a terrible head coach. He would have us loving the 3-4 defense.

Wade Phillips. He's a great D coordinator, just a terrible head coach. He would have us loving the 3-4 defense.

and his kid is the TE coach, so he's already been watching every game with a vested interest in how the Redskins are doing.

He's 67 or 68 years old - that's getting pretty long in the tooth to start over with a brand new franchise. I would prefer we find the next great young coordinator instead of chasing successful retreads like we always seem inclined to do.

Question cannot be answered realistically, at this time. We haven't a clue as to who ALL the possible candidates are.
We don't even know for sure Haslett will be fired.

Jorel, from the planet Krypton, is as viable an answer as anything else we can say at this time.

Beat the Giants!!!

We still really don't have the personnel for it, though.

Nick

Which teams will be in the market for a head coach? Jets, 49er's and Bears are almost a given...I'd add the Falcons to that list and Carolina as well...Giants and Skins are shaky at best. There should be some guys available.

Question cannot be answered realistically, at this time. We haven't a clue as to who ALL the possible candidates are.
We don't even know for sure Haslett will be fired.

Jorel, from the planet Krypton, is as viable an answer as anything else we can say at this time.

Beat the Giants!!!

He doesn't have to be fired, his contract expires at the end of the season.

Of course we don't know but sometimes it's obvious, even to this franchise leadership, that changes have to be made. No one committed to winning could give Jim Haslett a new contract given his track record. I guarantee you, either Gruden or Haslett (or both) are gone in 2015.

You may well be right. But then, nothing warranted his hiring in the 1st place. Or supported NOT getting rid of him every year after.

And we know for certain he won't be extended?

no, but if he was still under contract, then I could absolutely see your point about it being strictly speculation. At this point, he is not the DC for the Washington Redskins next year, so its absolutely a point of discussion.

The other question, I suppose, is who would be willing to come here at this point.

no, but if he was still under contract, then I could absolutely see your point about it being strictly speculation. At this point, he is not the DC for the Washington Redskins next year, so its absolutely a point of discussion.
Of course it's a point of discussion. The only facts I brought up is that we don't know who all will be available, or if their availability will be needed.

They are indisputable facts.

I can't stop people from talking about the future with one hand tied behind their back. Just pointing out the impossibility of making an informed choice at this time. Obviously, someone could get lucky and guess right. But that's all it would be. A guess. Or a want.

I want Jorel, if his son Kalel is not available.

Snyder wears Kryptonite underwear. So be careful what you wish for...

We still really don't have the personnel for it, though.

Nick

Nick...we don't have the personnel for any scheme right now! That is one of things that is going to have to be fixed across the board. so, in my mind, all options are open.

Nick...we don't have the personnel for any scheme right now! That is one of things that is going to have to be fixed across the board. so, in my mind, all options are open.

I don't think we have much talent anywhere, other than a handful of people. It just seems running a base 3-4 really exposes those weaknesses more than anything else. The D has never had a true NT and never made an attempt to get one. I know that's already sabotaging what could fundamentally be a good D, but I just think the D as a whole would be "less shitty" running a 4-3.

Backhanded compliment, I know, but I think you get what I mean, Al.

Nick

I don't think we have much talent anywhere, other than a handful of people. It just seems running a base 3-4 really exposes those weaknesses more than anything else. The D has never had a true NT and never made an attempt to get one. I know that's already sabotaging what could fundamentally be a good D, but I just think the D as a whole would be "less shitty" running a 4-3.

Backhanded compliment, I know, but I think you get what I mean, Al.

Nick

agree with ya nick. i'll make the addition that we do run 4-3 quite a bit with basically the same results. I think we have all over-estimated the quality of d-line talent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.